Peyton Place The greasy introduction of Lee and Sandy Webber

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by Willie Oleson, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,290
    Medals:
    I was torn between this topic title and "The thunderous introduction of Ann Howard", because there was thunder and lightning when she first appeared on the screen. It could not have been more to the point, and yet I picked Lee and Sandy.
    I have Bing'd the names of these new characters to make sure I'd write them correctly and, wow, it's amazing how many spoilers people can cram into 1 sentence!

I have no idea what season this is, but it feels like a new season to me, and not just because the winter has ended.
    In two episodes Peyton Place ties up the trial storyline, Stella Chernak and John Fowler have left town and David Schuster is about to leave but not before he gives Rodney a warning about the suffocating atmosphere of Peyton Place.
    Well, suffocating indeed, because Rodney finds himself with his back against the wall after his father has emotionally manipulated him to agree with Martin Peyton's dastardly deal.
    "But of course it's your decision", Leslie says to Rodney. And that's exactly what Martin had said to Leslie. What a bunch!

The snow has gone and there's a wedding, very lush with lots of flowers, kinda like Adam and Dana Carrington's wedding.
    Maybe it's the black and white picture - or the low quality picture - but I thought it looked unintentionally spooky.
    upload_2017-3-12_22-58-34.png
    Sort of a phantom bride. I almost expected all of the guests to sit dead in their chairs.

Betty and Steven seem very content with their alliance/marriage, they both know what they want and there's nothing that indicates that they're not doing the right thing.
    To emphasize the shaky foundations of this marriage, the story then shows various examples of True Love, and why that love has nothing to do with "knowing what you're doing".
    I wouldn't say it was "in-your-face", but a little manipulative writing nonetheless.

Betty continues to work for Martin Peyton, and besides giving her employer his pills (was that really a 9 to 5 job?) she now also posts letters and stuff and - what's more important - her workplace is now Rodney's home.
    So there's the first idea of "living under the same roof" that allows these soap characters to interact under unusual circumstances.

Rodney has bought a garage, I think it's the one where Marion Fowler had her car repaired?
    The garage comes with an employee, Lee Webber, who is disappointed that he couldn't have bought the garage himself.
    Because he's used most of his money to get his blind brother into college.
    I didn't think there was anything particular about that fact but then, flash-boom!, a woman with white hair appears on the bluff (they're gonna use that word a lot!) and she sneaks up to Michael Rossi's cabin house.
    upload_2017-3-12_23-28-54.png
    Intriguing!

Well...maybe not so very intriguing. It turns out to be another Wrongfully Accused storyline, and she's also working in the hospital and she also befriends Dr. Rossi.
    I understand why they're doing these storylines because it affects the whole town and technically it's a good story...but I'm not extremely excited about it. Maybe I don't like her, especially since she replaces great characters like Stella and John Fowler.
    She is a woman with a mission and she knows she should expect the worst, but every time something happens (like the poisoin-pen letters) she acts like "how could this happen?"
    It's a little too hysterical for my taste, and more plot driven than the previous stories.

What worries me more is the shift in tone of the writing.
    That "novel" feeling seems to have gone, and it's become full-on-soap.
    All this time, Hannah Cord had been a haughty and enigmatic character, and within a few episodes that façade has been "destroyed". And Steven is Ann's half-brother.
    Since I've never seen Mr. Cord or Mr. Colby it's fine with me either way.
    I think the juicy part is that Steven has accused his half-sister of pushing the boy off the cliff.
    And I'm also glad he's not Martin Peyton's son, that would have been so corny.

Of course I'm still very excited about watching Peyton Place, I'm just considering the idea that I may have to view it differently from now on. I wonder how that worked for other Peyton Place fans on this forum? Maybe I'm completely wrong about all this.

So, Lee has a wife, a pretty and playful young woman, and I wonder if her character is based on Selena Cross from the books.
    It's been 25 years since I've read those books and the only thing I remember is that someone lost an arm or leg in a carnival ride...and there was a mother who regularly purged her son because he suffered from constipation. (how hypocritical that I only remember the shocking stuff).
    And therefore I've dedicated this thread to Lee & Sandy because I'm very curious about their story.

Rodney and Allison have rekindled their romance but it's obvious that the momentum has gone.

Favourite scene: Allison and Betty and Rita in the drugstore, talking about "how things have changed". A great scene, but too short, it should have been a whole episode!
    But apparently things have changed.

• Like Like x 1
  2. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,910
    Gosh, I have only dim memories of this story now -- I can't remember how long ago I watched PP but I guess it must be getting on for ten years (scary). I vaguely remember thinking how slow this storyline started (and yes, Stella Chernak did feel like a big loss) and that the blonde woman seemed kind of weak, but then, boy oh boy ... suffice to say, it soon returned to the "novel" feeling that you describe (although I'm not sure if the "boy oh boy" moment has come and gone for you).

I remember being really impressed by Lee Webber as a character.

Lee's wife Sandy was the real life sister of Natalie Wood. I think she had a thing with Ryan O'Neal (but then, who didn't?) and later played Plenty O'Toole in Sean Connery's final (official) Bond movie Diamonds are Forever.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,290
    Medals:
    Interesting, because I thought the whole thing was just there, out of the blue, not much of a build up or mystery. Well apart from the "who really pushed Lee's brother from the cliff". And I haven't even seen this brother yet.
    Phew!
    Ha! It looks like the little minx wants to do plenty o'toole in Rodney's garage.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,424
    Medals:
    Oh Willie there are so many twists and turns ahead. And Hannah Cord is just wonderful around this time from what I remember.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,290
    Medals:
    I love twists & turns!:dance:
    And I'm so curious what Martin Peyton has to do with all this - and he's changing his will! OMG!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,424
    Medals:
    And all soap patriarchs would continue to do so for an eternity after him.

7. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,290
    Medals:
    That novel feeling wasn't gone for too long, thankfully.
    I still think that the start of this storyline was a bit hokey, and I don't think Ann will ever be one of my favourite characters.
    Actually she (and her relationship with Michael) reminds me of the undecided, hand-wringing, always disagreeing Claire Morton.
    "I'm not interested in the little girl from all those years ago, I want the woman I'm holding right now" isn't very different from his angry speech to Claire "maybe it's time you learn how to be a woman", although I liked that better because it seemed so politically incorrect.
    Anyway, the accident (or is it incident?) on the bluff has become part of Peyton Place's history, and most characters are neatly intertwined. And it's getting even better when the blind Chris Webber visits his brother and sister-in-law.
    His first scene, when he steps out of the bus and walks towards Ann Colby, is very cinematic.
    upload_2017-3-30_23-39-19.png
    Ann is so stunned that she can't even move. And to me, personally, it felt as if all that "fuss" finally became reality.

upload_2017-3-30_22-48-59.png
    ^
    This is the result of a spontaneous printscreen, and I think there's a bit of Miles Colby in that picture.
    Chris plays the piano and he knows how to rock a party!
    There's a fantastic dance-"fight" between Sandy and Betty and the beat of the music gets faster and faster. It was such a frenzy! Maybe it's not very common for soap actors to act so physical?
    Of course everybody ends up being upset. Especially Allison, because Rodney was dancing with Sandy (It's My Party) and Steven, because Betty was dancing for Rodney.
    She insists that Rodney is out of her system, but a few episodes before that, Betty told Rodney that Allison wasn't woman enough for him. Well well.
    I'm starting to think that this isn't about the father at all. I usually suck at doing guessing games, but if this is what I think it is...Oh.My.God!

upload_2017-3-30_23-28-31.png
    Is it bad that I find this bully attractive?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,290
    Medals:
    It's her! Catherine Peyton Harrington, talking from beyond the grave again!
    upload_2017-3-31_1-31-48.png

• Like Like x 1
  9. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,910

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,290
    Medals:
    Fabulous! The Boogie With Betty Mix!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,290
    Medals:
    Curious Betty wanted to know, and now she knows too much!
    upload_2017-4-7_3-25-31.png

To watch them struggle with the truth and the lies is what makes these Big Secret storylines so entertaining.
    But Betty and Leslie don't know the whole story, and since my own suspicion hasn't been confirmed yet, neither do I.

Lee Webber thinks that it's Rodney's guilty conscience (over killing Joe Chernak) that secures his paycheck, and I thought it was an unexpected point of view, because personally I had not made that connection at all.

Allison feels like she can't to talk to anyone anymore, but as usual she suffers with dignity.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,290
    Medals:
    Today (at work) I've been thinking a lot about Allison and Rodney, and their break-up in particular, but I just couldn't quite put my finger on it.

There was nothing unexpected about it because all the good times they had had seemed to have been tarnished by all the drama: Rodney's trial, Allison's accident and depression...and yet they decided to pick up the pieces and continue their relationship because, well, love conquers all.
    It didn't work out that way, and I think that Rodney's new freedom, and his determination to control his own life, contributed to that.

But then I recalled that conversation Allison and Norman had in the library, and his suggestion that she should fight for their relationship etc etc.
    Initially, their arguments and counter-arguments were somewhat meaningless and evasive, but Allison ended the conversation with "he doesn't want Allison McKenzie anymore".
    And that made perfect sense, because to me it seemed as if he had fallen out of love with her, and that's probably the reason why I have been thinking about it so much today.
    Sandy was already around in those episodes, but imo not significant enough to be considered THE catalyst to Rodney's change of heart.

What's so unique about this storyline is that one person stops loving the person he used to love. It's not because Allison did something wrong, or because he had fallen in love with someone else, or because their relationship was sabotaged by some villain...he just didn't love Allison McKenzie anymore.
    I'm not blaming Rodney, but this kind of raw and honest rejection makes it so much more poignant than the average "soap-couple-break-up", maybe even more so because the whole situation is being rather underplayed. I guess that's why it lingered on in my mind...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,290
    Medals:
    Ann confronts Hannah Cord with the fact that Steven is her brother.
    upload_2017-4-15_14-43-8.png
    It was a wonderful gothic-melodramatic scene, especially Hannah's physical display of anger when she hit the chess set.
    But is she telling the whole truth? Even at that point, would she be able to lie or withhold important information?
    That sculpture just keeps smiling...

But then...
    upload_2017-4-15_15-1-37.png
    tragedy strikes again! What happened? Did someone dunnit?

• Like Like x 1