1. Musical Secret Santa

It's a Secret!

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

SoapLand - The Battle Of The Hospital Scenes: The Result

Discussion in 'SoapLand - The Battles' started by Richard Channing, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,160
    Every soap sees a good portion of it's drama go down at the local hospital. Between births, deaths, miscarriages, injuries, comas and all the blame and arguments that can ensue, the hospital is often where things reach a climax. However I've decided that perhaps we should leave death scenes out of this round as they've already been covered and there is still a wealth of great hospital scenes to choose from.

[​IMG]

So which hospital scene will come out on top? It's too early to tell...we're doing everything we can.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,538
    To quote a certain patriarch: "That's not enough! I need an answer right now, dammit!"

• Funny Funny x 5
  3. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,160
    I'm sorry sir, but I'm gonna need you to take a seat in the waiting area, the doctor will come and speak with you as soon as he can.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,511
    Why don't you all go home and get some rest? There's nothing more you can do here tonight.

• Funny Funny x 6
  5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,538
    "The waiting area?? I've built this hospital for crying out loud, and I'll tear it down before you can say Nescafé!"

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,496
    Great topic! BTW, the cafeteria's closed, so all I have are these Styrofoam cups of vending machine coffee to pass out.

1. Val and Dr. Ackerman in the post-natal scene, Knots Landing. He breaks the "awful news" to her that the twins died. Only they hadn't. Val goes into that ugly-cry thing while he remains stoic and more than a little menacing. The acting here was just top-notch. Viewers are left thinking "What the F is going on here?" since we'd just watched...…

2. Val gives birth, KL. While under the influence of whatever drugs Ackerman slipped her, Val was all woozy and the camera weaved around as she gave birth, screaming and yelling like any woman would. The eventual crying of the babies and her relief made us think that maybe our ever-growing suspicion that something bad would happen was unfounded.

3. Gary's first trip to detox, KL. Gary, when presented with the choice of a tiny bottle of alcohol or a dime to call his wife, chooses the bottle; the doctor matter-of-factly tells him that he has to get sober or he will die. The look on Gary's face throughout that scene was haunting; it was a realistic depiction of someone totally off the rails. Worse still was Val having to watch Gary
    from behind a one-way mirror
    choose what he thought was a tiny bit of alcohol (it was tea!) over her and his marriage and his life.

4. Abby/Karen in the kidney saga, KL. Karen wanted to thank Abby for donating a kidney to Diana, but Abby was having none of it. She didn't want Karen's "thank you" because she preferred Karen as an enemy and didn't want Karen to misconstrue her good deed as "Abby trying to be a better person". Abby saw no need to conform to how Karen thought she should act.

5. Richard in the hospital/sanitarium, KL. Karen came to visit him when no one else would, and he seemed genuinely surprised that Laura had not come to see him. Karen politely skirts the issue that the reason he was in the booby-hatch was because he'd taken Laura and Jason hostage and waved a gun around his heavily pregnant wife, causing a SWAT invasion...so maybe Laura was a tad peeved at him. The interplay of out-of-touch Richard and mothering Karen was an island of genuine concern and caring amidst all the other dramas going on at the time (as Abby destroyed Val and Gary's marriage and Laura deliberated on leaving Richard for good despite the baby).

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,163
    Abby's "save a whale in my name" line is a classic and somehow encapsulated their entire relationship.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,491
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Hospital scenes, so many to choose...! Here I go:

1- Katherine Wentworth sneaking into Bobby´s room to inject him a dose of love poison! ("Dallas": "It at First You Don´t Succeed")

2- Dusty visits Sue Ellen at the Dream Season sanitarium (wouldn´t it have been a great name for it?) and promises her he will help her ("Dallas": "Resurrection")

3- Chase is rushed to the O.R. after asking Maggie to continue her job at FC if he dies (he didn´t) ("Falcon Crest": "The Cataclysm")

[​IMG]

This pic has nothing to do with the scene but who cares? Cole was HOT!​

4- Karen tells Val she loves her when she visits her ("KL": "The Loudest Word")

upload_2018-6-11_13-9-36.jpeg

5- Sue Ellen gets out of Dallas Memorial with a new hairdo and J.R. asks her to come back to SF ("Dallas": "Changing of the Hairdo Guard")

Special mention: Kathy darling visits Bobby while Lucy is there. This wouldn´t be special but Kathy is wearing a complete Travilla design (turban and all!) and Lucy is not too far behind ("Dallas": "Battle Lines")

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,538
    I wanted to vote for the Barnes/Ewing twins die inside the mother because it was such a dramatic and horrific scene, but I can't because it's also a death scene.
    upload_2018-6-11_19-3-41.png

1. Chaos and heated arguments when both Sue Ellen and Pamela are hospitalized. (Dallas)
    upload_2018-6-11_18-37-27.png
    This was the aftermath of the Southfork fire and the drugged sex trio, but the Ewings and Rylands don't visit the hospital to wait, pray and inquire about the patient's condition.
    Oh no, it's business as usual - and TNT Dallas definitely got the best out of their hospital scenes because the drama never comes to a halt.

2. John Ross tries to make amends, and Pamela tells him why she overdosed (Dallas)
    upload_2018-6-11_18-48-38.png
    "The next time you sleep with that slut, all you'll think of is me lying on the floor..." etc.

3. Paige visits her mother in the hospital (Knots Landing)
    upload_2018-6-11_18-51-33.png
    And this scene in particular. Because she decides that a single rose would be more appropriate for the Great Performer, Anne Matheson.
    This scene also proves that it is possible to create "symbolic" imagery in a to-the-point sort of way, unlike the endless slow-motion montage scenes they often use in current tv series.

4. Old Steven Carrington's NuFace (Dynasty)
    upload_2018-6-11_19-6-27.png
    This was a necessity, rather than a storyline - and we all know the reason why. Still, I found it mega-exciting to watch the new Dynasty face being revealed.

5. Dr. Lantry cheerfully informs his blackmailer that Chase probably won't survive the operation (Falcon Crest)
    upload_2018-6-11_19-18-51.png
    Thus making her an accessory to murder.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
  10. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,110
    1: Val Gives Birth: that trippy camera work, the creepy soundtrack and that dodgy Dr Ackerman looming over Val, this scene set the stage for the best storyline of the series IMO.

2: Sue Ellen in the detox ward: JR and Dusty decide to fight it out on the ward only to be interrupted by an almost demonic Sue Ellen, wailing and tugging at her hair. Linda Gray's detox acting was superb. The scene of her crawling around the jail cell was another great example.

3: Angela visits Chase: an excellent example of Angela's malevolence, visiting her convalescing nephew and "accidentally" dropping a bombshell on him while he is in an already fragile state of health. Her smile at the end too.

4: Alexis recovers after the fire: just for the absolute campiness of it all. Bedecked in a turban and fur, Alexis eats caviar and sips champagne in her hospital bed while Krystle shows up in a sequinned evening gown to harangue her about something. This was only outdone a year later when Alexis managed to get champagne and caviar delivered to her jail cell.

[​IMG]

5: Steven's bandages are removed: again, I love this more so for the camp aspect of it. Having had dramatic facial reconstruction after an oil rig blew up in his face, Steven Carrington has his bandages removed for the first time revealing a beautiful unscarred face and perfectly coiffed hair.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
  11. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,682
    I'll do mine tomorrow. The next 24 hours will be critical.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,160
    I'd forgotten about this scene! Gotta love Angela, she sure knows how to stick the knife in. What a bitch. :clap:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,538
    "She was accidentally shot and killed when you reached for Julia's gun".:lol:

• Like Like x 3
  14. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,163
    1. "You don't have any kind of courage at all."
    Knots Landing
    [​IMG]

One of the Ewing-verse's finest scenes; the best of the Knots/Dallas crossovers; Ted Shackelford bravely taking Gary somewhere unlikeable; Patrick Duffy's finest moment as Bobby Ewing (and yes, that includes anything he did on CBS Dallas).

Oh - and it also happens to be from the first Knots Landing episode I watched, back in the summer of 1981.

2. Sid’s Operation
    Knots Landing
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The warmth, friendship and banter in the waiting room juxtaposed with the dark, clinical coldness of the operating theatre and the creepy machines making breathing sounds. And then the doctor coming out to give Karen the news...

3. Gourmet Breakfast
    Knots Landing

Just when you think you have Richard pegged, he goes and surprises. I always enjoyed the rather strange friendship between Richard and Karen, and there's something incredibly touching about him trying to be a good friend and succeeding for once. Bringing the exhausted Karen freshly squeezed orange juice, French roast coffee and warm croissants is perhaps the most thoughtful thing he did in his whole time on the show. It's just a beautiful, quiet moment that John Pleshette never allows to verge into schmaltz or predictability.

4. Val and Dr. Ackerman in the post-natal scene
    Knots Landing

[​IMG]
    “But I saw them. I heard them cry...”. Chilling!

5. Jock and Ellie’s heart to heart
    Dallas
    [​IMG]
    Probably my favourite Jock/Ellie scene. It’s interesting to see him so vulnerable and reflective, talking about his relationship with Gary and asking Ellie to keep the family together “if anything happens to me”, which became even more meaningful over time. There’s a rarely-seen tenderness to Davis here, coaxed out of him by Bel Geddes and it’s the most vulnerable Jock ever got. As I remember there’s a little “I love you” from Jock to Ellie at the end, which feels ad libbed.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  15. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,682
    1. Val and Dr Ackerman - Knots Landing
    Both the birth scene, which is some kind of hellish Rosemary's Baby nightmare and the aftermath which is just bone chillingly awful. Joan Van Ark is one seriously underrated actress. Val's babies is probably the greatest story ark in any of the Prime Time Soaps.

2. Steven gets a new face - Dynasty
    It's camp for sure, it's ludicrous actually, but somehow honestly they made it work. I was really caught up in the whole story from all the shot from the back-ness on the oil rig to him bandaged in a Singapore hospital. And what the hell was an expert plastic surgeon even doing in a middle of nowhere Singapore hospital? I wonder how much Blake had to pay for Steven's new face. A fair penny I'd say.

3. Katherine is arrested - Dallas
    The demented sister trying to give Bobby a lethal injection all while he lies there impersonating Roy Orbison. Her hysterical confession right there in the hospital corridor is, well, hysterical. That episode is a masterclass in pushing exposition.

4. Abby rebukes Karen's Thank You - Knots Landing
    I really loved that scene as it added so much to their already complicated relationship. Abby didn't do it for a thank you, she didn't do it for Karen, she did it for Diana. Lord knows why?

5. Alexis the vision in violet - Dynasty.
    The ultimate in Dynasty nonsense. There she is, recovering from smoke inhalation and supposed superficial burns. Wearing a violet purple silk and fur dressing gown complete with turban and jewels. Stuffing her face with a luxury buffet for one. All while Krystle stands there looking like a female Oscar statuette yacking on about - something.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,110
    I love that line!

17. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,538
    I want this on CD or LP:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,558
    1. Angela tells Chase that Jacqueline is dead - FALCON CREST (thank you @Carrie Fairchild for reminding me of this fantastic scene).

2. Sid dies on the operating table stretched out like he has been crucified - KNOTS LANDING (one of the most unexpected and shocking deaths in the prime time soaps.

3. Sue Ellen and Kristen visit JR in hospital - DALLAS - and they have this exchange with Jock:
    JOCK: Your husband may be dying and you're out gallivanting around someplace.
    SUE ELLEN: I wasn't gallivanting.
    JOCK: Then where were you?
    KRISTEN: Sue Ellen was sick.
    JOCK: Sick. You mean DRUNK!

4. Lance proposes to Lorraine while she is in hospital after her accident - FALCON CREST

5. Jock says "John Ross Ewing the third" after Sue Ellen gives birth. - DALLAS (I love his arrogance in assuming that's what the child would be called).

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  19. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,292
    1) Jock getting ready for heart surgery: IMHO a very touching scene between the matriarch and patriarch. Jock is scheduled to have heart surgery, prior to this he talks to Ellie about the family, (a scene from season 1; DVD-2, 1978 – 79) – DALLAS.
    2) Angela lets it slip about Jacqueline: FC’s grape granny takes great pleasure in letting her nephew know that his mother Jacqueline died, from the shooting at the mansion. Chase is still in the care of the nurses and doctors, (a scene from season 3, 1983-’84) – FALCON CREST.
    3) The family gather around JR’s bedside: After the most famous primetime cliff-hanger JR is hospitalised and his family gather around, to see if he will pull through, (a scene from season 3; DVD-4, 1980 – ’81) – DALLAS.
    4) Emma is warned by Angela: The all conquering Californian wine matriarch is in a coma, at the hands of Emma’s new man Charley St. James. Angela wakes up for a moment to tell Emma, “You are in danger!” (a scene from season 9, 1989 – ’90) – FALCON CREST.
    5) The bandages come off Steven: Blake’s youngest son was severely burned in a oil rig explosion and when the bandages come off it is Jack Coleman, not Al Corley acting Steven, (a scene from season 2, 1982 – ’83) – DYNASTY.

Jock is scheduled for heart surgery. Ellie is visiting him in the hospital and they have a conversation about their family, (a scene from season 1; DVD-2, 1978 – ’79):

Jock: “You know Ellie, sometimes I worry I don’t think I’ve been a very good father.”

Ellie: “Yes you have.”

Jock: “Gary pulling out. A drifter. Maybe I could’ve done better by him but just didn’t know how.”

Ellie: “Jock, don’t! Look at JR. He may get on your nerves once in a while but he’s done wonders for Ewing Oil, a natural born businessman. Bobby is working the ranch. I like that. Maybe that’s the way to solve the whole problem.”

Jock: “Maybe. Ellie if anything happens to me you keep the family together, you hear?”

Ellie: “Nothing is going to happen.”

Jock: “Promise me! It means a lot.”

Ellie: “To me too. Remember when my daddy didn’t give us five years together. Sometimes I think he was right. We’re both so headstrong. Well we’ve raised a family and we’re still together.”

Jock: “We’ve had a good life, Ellie.”

Ellie: “We still do.”

They kiss.

• Like Like x 6
  20. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,282
    1. Dr Dan takes off Stephanie’s bandages after her plastic surgery after her crocodile attack. He asks her ‘if you likes what she sees, just nod’. She is beautiful, speechless and a tear runs down her cheek in relief. A touching scene from return to Eden mini series :)

2. Stephanie visted her daughter in hospital (a set up by her enemy) and hides herself as a patient on a hospital trolley to escape from her arch nemesis Jilly, right under her nose. Funny scene from Return to Eden maxi series

3. Katherine’s black and white turbulent turban visit to bobby in Dallas. It’s just so -what’s the word - Katherine :0)

4. Sue Ellen at JRs bedside in 1980, feeling so guilty that she might have shot him

5. All the Ewing clan, except JR of course, gather together in the hospital waiting room after he was shot...

Honourable mentions to steven’s new face and Alexis in caviar violet ;-)

• Like Like x 5