The Keepers

Discussion in 'Documentaries' started by Richard Channing, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,437
    Thanks @Ome for bringing back the documentaries forum!

So, I just got Netflix the other day and dived straight into their new documentary series. I didn't watch the trailer, but it seemed to have all the ingredients of something I would like, an unsolved murder mystery, priests, nuns, scandal. I ended up watching the first 3 episodes yesterday and it is turning out to be so much more than a murder mystery (which the trailer outlines) and I must say it's powerful and compelling stuff, hard hitting and at times disturbing.

As the woman who is originally named as Jane Doe recounts the abuse that she endured I was actually in awe that she was sitting there before us, talking us through it, that she had somehow survived all that and lived to tell the tale. It's a testament to the human spirit that she somehow managed to come out the other side of it all. But then somehow many people do, and many, many did in this particular story.

I'm only half way through so am very keen to see what transpires in the last half, as so far each episode has been more gripping than the last and has taken us deeper into the mystery, which seems to get bigger and more depraved as it unravels. I found myself being really affected by it and it made it's way into my dreams/nightmares last night.

Is anyone else watching this?

• Like Like x 4
  2. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +523
    Yes, I did it all a few weeks ago. The twists and turns are extraordinary. I would have said it was far-fetched if it had been a movie. It's really frightening what people get away with in this world.

There are amazing women in this story, the two ladies who never forgot about Sister Cathy. And of course Jane Doe and Jane Roe, I cheered when Jane Roe revealed all that she had achieved.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,437
    Just finished episode 6 out of 7. What a tangled web, and this episode certainly threw some new ideas/twists into the mix. I love how the series is structured, how they pick their moments to reveal other sides of the story, and how they usually end each episode by revealing a new key player or piece of information.

With only one episode to go it feels like so far there has been as many questions raised as answered. I'm wondering if there will be any kind of satisfying end to this, as although I'm not expecting everything to be wrapped up neatly with a bow on it, I'm also hoping we're not left with too many 'I guess we'll never know's.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,400
    Based off of the few posts in this thread I started watching this series two nights ago. I was hooked straight away and ended up watching three episodes and didn't get to bed to 2am when I had work at 7.30! Not a good idea on my part but it was just so good. I am currently up to episode 5 and still loving it. It's so wrong and creepy and sad and almost totally unbelievable. I mean if it was to made into a drama show people would think it was too out there. I, in fact think it would make an amazing drama.

I will probably finish it off tomorrow as there are only 7 or 8 episodes. An excellent show and just what I was looking for.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Jessie

Jessie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,318
    I’m watching the series, I’m on episode 4 now.
    Sad story about a Nun’s Murder but it is so much more than a murder mystery. It is sad hearing what some of the students went through. I will write more when I finish the series.

• Like Like x 1