SoapLand - The Battle Of The Kidnappings: The Result

Discussion in 'SoapLand - The Battles' started by Richard Channing, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,469
    As we all know Soapland is a treacherous place to live, and one of the many perils it's inhabitants face is the threat of being kidnapped. In fact it's a fate that few of soaplands babies and toddlers managed to avoid. So what kidnappings were the most dramatic or traumatic or left most of an impression on you? Some of our Soaplandians were unlucky enough to be kidnapped more than once (I can think of one little soap starlet who was kidnapped 3 times) so in these cases do specify which one you are voting for.

Screen-Shot-2013-05-08-at-9.53.39-AM.jpg

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,911
    Just to be sure...this is not including hostage scenes, right?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,015
    I was just about to ask the same question (literally---I had to erase the question from this post). There are nuances, but most of the better hostage crises I can recall are group efforts and not limited to one character's performance. Then again, a good kidnapping/hostage story doesn't have to be limited to one person, right?

(I know, I know...I'm always splitting hairs, but I take these contests very seriously)

• Like Like x 4
  4. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,469
    No I don't think we'll include hostage situations as that's kind of a different thing and could have a battle of it's own. You could be held hostage in your own home but to be kidnapped you need to be taken somewhere.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,911
    Was Krystle kidnapped or held hostage? They didn't do it for the money, and at the same time they did it for the money.
    There was definitely nothing cookie-cutter about it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,469
    She was kidnapped, possibly held hostage as well but definitely kidnapped.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,911
    1. Fallon Colby kidnapped by an alien/aliens (The Colbys)
    Yes, just like DALLAS' dream explanation, it was a slap in the face of the prime time soap genre.
    But I can't deny the fact that I found it to be one of the most thrilling soap moments I've ever seen (and I don't consider myself a hardcore SF-fan)
    Especially because at first we watch the UFO flying away from the scene
    upload_2017-8-18_1-51-49.png
    and then it makes a turn and flies right into our living rooms!
    upload_2017-8-18_1-54-25.png
    No-one dragged her inside the spaceship, but it was clear that the situation was orchestrated by forces from outer space.
    The foreboding details (electricity problems) are even more exciting if you know what's going to happen.

2. Baby Lucy Ewing kidnapped by JR's goons (Knots Landing)
    upload_2017-8-18_2-4-18.png
    Not for money, but for keeps. Nice family!

3. L.C. Champion kidnapped by a paedophile ring (The Yellow Rose)
    upload_2017-8-18_2-13-27.png
    For keeps, profit and lots of other ugly stuff.

4. Fielding and Constance Carlyle kidnapped by Titus Semple's enemies (Flamingo Road)
    upload_2017-8-18_2-22-26.png
    OK, I guess this blurs the distinction between kidnapping and taking hostage. But I *believe* the boat was taken a different route, away from where they were supposed to be. So, technically, they were taken from one "place" to another.

5. A doll, perceived as LB Colby (perceived as Lindsay Blaisdel) kidnapped by Claudia (Dynasty)
    upload_2017-8-18_2-37-47.png
    Another magnificent, mind-boggling Dynasty moment.

I don't recall flashback scenes of Adam Carrington's kidnapping, otherwise that would have been my #2.

• Like Like x 8
  8. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,015
    I'm thinking they saw Burt Campbell get kidnapped by aliens on Soap and decided to emulate that iconic plotline. If they had gotten renewed for another season, the aliens would have sent down a horny lookalike who hadn't had sex in 2000 years to have wall-to-wall sex with Jeff Colby while RealFallon would have been stuck on the mother ship. Which could very easily have put The Colbys back on the map if the lookalike had been...Pamela Sue Martin.

Aaaaanyway....

1. Karen MacKenzie's kidnapping in seasons seven/eight, Knots Landing
    The "out of nowhere" nature of the season-ending cliffhanger (where Karen woke up in a basement and we only saw a hairy arm of her kidnapper) was scary, and the summer was spent knowing that Karen's fate depended on Michele Lee's contract demands being met. Once that was out of the way, I loved the spooky "suite" Phil furnished for her (the slippers!). The forced hair-cut (to accommodate ML's real-life cut) felt like a violation of the Geneva Conventions somehow. Her escape from the burning farmhouse was a rare sequence for Lee to play "action heroine". The best of her three kidnapping/hostage situations.

2. Abby kidnapped by Mark St. Claire in seasons five/six, KL
    Once again, a situation worthy of a season-ending cliffhanger, but this time we knew who had taken her, and the stakes were not as high because...well, Mills's contract was iron-clad, and Joseph Chapman (St. Claire) was not even in the opening credits. Still, this situation scores high in my book because St. Claire didn't make as much of a big deal out of cutting Abby's hair in the midst of her ordeal, and hers turned out so much better. [/laughs] The better of Abby's two hostage/kidnapping situations.

3. Richard takes Laura and Jason hostage (episode "Night"), KL
    By far the best-written of the situations in this list, and a strangely logical progression of the Avery marriage. Though the SWAT team has to be called in (again), it's not even the half-way point of the disintegration of the Avery marriage when they haul Richard off to the loony bin. Both McCashin and Pleshette should have gotten Emmys for that hour of fine drama.

4. The hostage situation at Ginger's baby shower (episode "Moments of Truth"), KL
    A home invasion situation that turned into a multi-level disaster for the ladies of the cul-de-sac. I could have done without the "haves and have nots" speechifying by the female kidnapper trying to justify robbing the suburbanites, but it was all worth it for Abby and Laura's throwdown in the kitchen, where Laura got to call Abby a slut. This one gave all five of the ladies street cred at the PTA meetings, and it's the episode that put the cul-de-sac on the SWAT team's radar.

5. The Ewing/Gibson twins kidnapped at birth (seasons six and part of seven), KL
    I mean, really--do I have to explain this one? An umbrella plot that involved 2/3 of the cast, and gave the show many years of drama even after the babies were returned to their mama.

• Like Like x 9
  9. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +894
    1: Val's babies in Knots Landing: I was rewatching the Ava Gardner episodes recently and the whole twins saga is so amazing that I might just rewatch season 6 all over again. Nearly all of the principal cast get involved in one way or another, culminating in that amazing season finale.

2: Fallon and the UFO in The Colbys: not that this plot had any particular longevity, bar the brief fallout back on Dynasty. But it's the absolute audacity of them to drop a UFO into the middle of what had been a pretty ordinary soap (by 80's primetime standards) that is so mind-blowing. While boring old Francesca settled for being kidnapped by her ex husband, Fallon had to up the ante and get herself whisked away by aliens.

3: Krystle and Joel in Dynasty: again, worth a mention for the audacity of replacing your leading lady with a doppelganger, a ruse usually reserved for daytime. This may have dragged on a bit and while I found the Krystle in the attic scenes quite tiresome, I quite enjoyed Rita's scenes. Also, it was all worth it in the end for that catfight.

4: Caress and Ben in Dynasty: "And she'll fly air freight to Caracas". Caress is chloroformed and shipped back to a Venezuelan prison, only to be rescued by Dex and Blake in full Rambo mode. Again only a minor arc but it featured Caress, who is one of my favourites, so it sticks in my mind. Worth it too for the Models Inc homage that it inspired a few years later - "You're in hooker hell".

5: Vicki is sold into white slavery in Falcon Crest: my memories of this are pretty vague but I remember thinking it was super exotic that she'd been sold into slavery in Yugoslavia and that Ursula Andress was involved as the shady Madame Malec. Also, as kidnapping plots go, it's quite OTT.

• Like Like x 8
  10. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,674
    1. The Twins
    Knots Landing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Probably the best-remembered of all Knots storylines. Long running and twistier than a corkscrew caught in a tornado.

2. Karen Fairgate Mackenzie
    Knots Landing
    [​IMG]
    This one has it all: mystery; backstory (complete with Sixties flashbacks); a neat reveal; mystic predictions in tealeaves; attempted murder by arson; the shaming torture of a homemade haircut; even the kidnapper following his escaped victim home. Genuinely creepy - especially the noisy old car chasing her and the classical piece that signalled Phil's return - and more so because the kidnappers motive was to cause pain to Karen's family and friends.

It's just occurred to me that the "deranged man trying to make his kidnappee the image of someone else" scenario is kind of a reverse Krystle scenario.

3. Adam Carrington
    Dynasty
    [​IMG]
    Another "kidnapped as a baby" scenario with a very different outcome to Val's Twins. More mystery; appropriately melodramatic reveals; an is he/isn't he storyline that would give years' worth of material and our introduction to SoapLand's sexiest saturnine schemer.

4. Diana Fairgate
    Knots Landing
    [​IMG]
    SoapLand's Patty Hearst. Psychologically interesting, this one: a kidnap made using coercive control. On the surface, Diana was a willing participant for the most part, helping her captor by "pretending" to be his victim (another one that digressed into a hostage situation) and even marrying him. Heck, for all I know she went shoe shopping with him. But seeing the hints of violence from Chip whenever she attempted to contact anyone for help left me in no doubt that Diana - whether she knew it or not - was a kidnap victim.

5. Krystle Carrington
    Dynasty
    [​IMG]
    Dynasty's flower in the attic with the seediest of kidnappers (he's in the film business, after all) may have overstayed its welcome but at least we got a number of scenes which gave a hint of a dark underbelly.

The others...

Miss Ellie
    Dallas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not even being locked in a smelly old car boot for a day could keep feisty Ellie from enjoying her wedding.

Abby Ewing
    Knots Landing
    [​IMG]
    A great moment that would have been in my top five but for three reasons: Firstly, Karen outdid her moments later by getting shot, somewhat diminishing Abby's ordeal; Secondly, I always felt that Abby would stay in control on some level; Thirdly, it led to a nice siege that I hope to include in the Battle Of The Sieges/Hostages.

Francesca Langdon
    The Colbys
    [​IMG]
    Brief, suspenseful, action-packed (a helicopter chasing a car on a mountainous road) and ending with the possible death of one of SoapLand's most manipulative shrews. What's not to like?

One wishes more (alleged) kidnappers would take their cues from soap stylists Harbert-St. Claire. Those guys wouldn't let their kidnappees start book deal/reality show/modelling contract negotiations with hair like Worzel Gummidge.

• Like Like x 9
  11. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,236
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    My Top Five:

1- April (Dallas) (All´s well if all ends well...)
    2- Abby (KL) (Limos with hairdressing service are fabulous!)
    3- Diana (KL) (Too bad this one didn´t end well...for us!)
    4- Miss Ellie (Dallas) (Because...how many mothers can my Dusty have?)
    5- Baby John Ross (Dallas) (One of the first kidnappings and one of the most casual, almost knotsy!)
    6- Miss Piggy (The Great Muppet Caper)

• Like Like x 7
  12. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,038
    1) Fallon sets off into the night sky, with the aliens: Although THE COLBYS was short lived this cliff-hanger just took the biscuit and IMHO left a considerable imprint in 1980’s T.V. Blake’s eldest daughter just walked up the ramp in a daze, she was face to face with a not so earthly body and the rest is history. I would like if this kidnapping by aliens obtains overall top spot – THE COLBYS.
    2) Bobby is kidnapped while in JR’s car: It was the late seventies and JR was the undisputed king of DALLAS meaning opportunists could try and take advantage. They did when Bobby was gagged and tied up, for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. $$$$$$ were on the table – DALLAS.
    3) Julia under lock and key by Gustav Riebmann: The ex wine chemist was bundled into a van and driven to the Riebmann mansion, under the pretence that she needed psychiatry. The psychiatrist was bad egg Riebmann, posing as a French doctor Jean Louis de Bercy – FALCON CREST.
    4) Krystle in the Delta Rho attic: Film mogul Joel Abigore had his eye on the bigger prize when he held up the 2nd Mrs. Carrington and sent a look-a-like named Rita, into Blake’s mansion. Suffice to say the real Krystle eventually resided in the pristine surroundings again – DYNASTY.
    5) Miss Ellie in the boot, courtesy of her soon to be sister in law Jessica: Yep the crooked and jealous Jessica Montford bundled Mama Ewing into Donna Krebb’s car. It looked like curtains for JR’s, Bobby’s and Gary’s matriarch – DAALAS.

The Ewing clan are gathered in living room of the ranch, after their dinner. Somebody knocks on the front door. Sue Ellen answers it, (a scene from season 1, DVD-2, 1978 – ‘79):

Sue Ellen: “Cliff. What are you doing here?”

Cliff: “I have got to speak to Jock!”

Jock: “What the hell, do you want?”

JR: “I thought you knew better than to come to this house.”

Sue Ellen: “What is it Cliff? What’s the matter?”

Cliff: “I got a telephone call. I don’t know who it was from. A man.”

Pam: “What’s it about?”

Cliff puts his hand out to Pam and says, “Come here Pam.”

Ellie takes a call on the phone. She says, “That was Bobby’s builder on the phone. He said that some of his crew found JR’s car, abandoned.”

Cliff: “Bobby has been kidnapped!”

Jock: “What?”

JR: “What are you trying to pull Barnes?”

Cliff: “Come on JR, you don’t think I could make up a lie like that, do ya?”

Jock: “Why you? Why did he contact you?”

Cliff: “I don’t have any idea. Except they said this would be buried, opposite the entrance to the ranch. It was.”

Cliff hands Jock the first note, from the kidnappers. Jock then begins to read the note.

Jock: “We’ve kidnapped JR Ewing.”

Sue Ellen: “What? What you say?”

Cliff: “Yes they obviously meant to get JR. So they obviously planted the note, before they kidnapped him.”

Jock then continues, to read the letter.

Jock: “He’s’ unharmed and will not be hurt, as long as everyone cooperates. Have ready by noon tomorrow $1,500,000, in out of sequence bills. You will receive instructions, about what to do with it. Cliff Barnes is to act as a go between. Do not call the Police or FBI. Follow all instructions exactly and JR Ewing will get home safe. Remember his life depends on you!”

Pam: “What are we going to do Cliff?”

JR: “This is a family matter. We’ll handle it.”

Cliff: “You know I don’t like this any better than you like it, JR but I’m not prepared to have Bobby dying, so I can stick to my principles.”

JR: “I said we’d do this ourselves!”

Pam: “And I say you won’t! You’ll do just what Cliff says. We’re talking about Bobby’s life not some oil deal.”

JR: “We know how to handle this.”

Pam: “Jock tell him!”

Ellie: “She’s right Jock!”

Jock: “Alright we’ll do exactly as they say, for now.”

Cliff: “Like it or not JR for the moment we’re stuck with each other.”

• Like Like x 6
  13. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,649
    1. Val's babies get taken. KNOTS LANDING
    2. Julia is kidnapped by Gustav Riebmann. FALCON CREST
    3. Miss Ellie is kidnapped by Lady Jessica. DALLAS
    4. Sue Ellen is kidnapped by BD Calhoun. DALLAS
    5. Karen MacKenzie is kidnapped by Phil Harbert. KNOTS LANDING

• Like Like x 7
  14. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,469
    1. Val's babies (Knots Landing)

2. Julia Kidnaps Joseph (Falcon Crest)

3. Krystle in the attic (Dynasty)

4. Who kidnapped baby John? (Dallas)

5. Karen is kidnapped by Phil (Knots Landing)

• Like Like x 6
  15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,911
    Who dunit?

• Like Like x 2
  16. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,911
    Hello?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  17. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,469
    This woman:

• Like Like x 4
  18. Zach

Zach Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +409
    1. Val's babies - Knots Landing
    2. Karen MacKenzie - Knots Landing
    3. Krystle - Dynasty
    4. Miss Ellie - Dallas
    5. Abby Ewing - Knots Landing

• Like Like x 5
  19. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,911
    Sue Ellen: "Thank you".:lol:

20. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,469
    And then hands the baby straight to the nanny! It must have been cocktail hour.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 4