1. Used to think that life was sweet

Used to think we were so complete

I can't believe you'd throw it away

The Madonna Thread. :)

Discussion in 'Music' started by Karin Schill, Oct 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,584
    Medals:
    Hi Everyone,

Before the forum went down we had a lot of discussions about this female artist and her Rebel Heart tour. :)

So I figured I'd kick off a new thread where we can discuss all things Madonna. :)
    I'll start it with reposting my account of the Madonna concert from November 2015, which I luckily also posted about on another board which hasn't crashed! ;)

"There is only one Madonna and her concerts is something in a league of it's own...

I was lucky enough to go to her Stockholm show. This was the first time I've attended one of her shows but hopefully it won't be the last since what a performer. :danc:

Madonna is such a professional singer and even with a set list that left something to be desired, when it is live she certainly know how to deliver and even lift that up to a higher level. What a stage show!

She has a strong and clear voice and unlike some pop princesses, this queen of pop, doesn't lipsynk, she sings live. She is a great dancer, have a stylish scenography, uses digital effects to a t and she has a charisma. There is something sensual about her, something sexy, she's a feminist, sassy, strong, she has a humor and is in great shape. She can dance and sing for hours without looking tired. She's a rebel but she can also be inspirational, vulnerable and compassionate. I realized last night that Madonna has her heart in the right place and she can touch people's lives and I just love her for it.

In light of what happened in Paris on friday night, I woke up Saturday morning with mixed emotions about going to this concert. It was frustrating since I had been looking forward to this concert for so long and now the joy seemed to have gone out of it. I talked on the phone to my friend Evelina, who was attending the concert with me, and she had the same feelings I had about it. But we decided to still go to the concert. Evelina was afraid that the concert might be cancelled though. But my gutt feeling told me that Madonna would go on in spite of everything...

We did decide to skip a visit to the ABBA museum though that we had planned to do before the concert since we just weren't up to it. So we decided to leave after lunch instead and to head straight for the concert. We arrived at the venue about 4.30 p.m. and parked in the nearby parking garage. Then we had some hamburgers before going through security and entering the venue. I bought some merchandise, a t-shirt and a programme.

Then we took our seats at the venue around 7.15 p.m. The opening act was supposed to start at 7.30 and the place was almost empty. I thought to myself, "Oh no this is going to be a dull concert with empty chairs."

[​IMG]

The opening act started and it was dreadful. Some DJ playing loud party music, which didn't sit well with this crowd, which was mostly 40 +.
    It felt odd to listen to party music when you couldn't dance and party. We started wishing that we had gotten tickets for the golden circle area closest to the stage instead of these more expensive seats further away. Since in my opinion being close to the stage where you can party is always more fun than sitting down at a concert. The DJ mentioned that the place was sold out which seemed odd to me at the time. But once he was done the place started filling up fast and a few minutes before Madonna came on it looked like this:

[​IMG]

We were all waiting for Madonna.

[​IMG]

Then suddenly Michael Jackson's "Wanna be starting something" was played on playback. That got the crowd more excited that the opening act. :dance1:

Then Madonna showed up herself in a cage coming down from the roof around 10.10 p.m. She began with "Iconic". She followed the set list posted here for the tour.
    Worth noticing was that "Messiah" was played playback as she changed clothes, same thing with the song "S.E.X".

I don't wanna give too much details about how she performed the songs since I don't wanna spoil the element of surprise for any of you who still have your Madonna concert ahead of you. But what I can say is that I really enjoyed the show. Here's a couple of photos from it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then came a surprise. Instead of singing "Who's that girl" Madonna strayed from the posted set list and did a medley which included oldies such as "Into the groove", "Everybody" and "Lucky star."

Yet that was nothing compared to what was to come, which was the big surprise of the evening.
    But given the circumstances it shouldn't have been. Anyway Madonna decided to give a speech, which felt genuine and heartfelt. It was like she was talking spontaneously to us, as she addressed the terror attacks that had happened in Paris. She told us that this show hadn't been easy for her to do and admitted that she had thought of cancelling it! [​IMG]

But then she had decided that the show must go on since nobody should have the right to take away our freedom and to stop us from having fun!
    She also told us that there is more good in people than bad and that love is strongest. She was very inspirational and the way she opened her heart to us won me over. If I wasn't a Madonna fan before I am now.

[​IMG]

Then she held a silent minute for the victims in Paris and urged us to pray together for them. So I sat down and prayed for the victims and their families. I have never prayed before going to a concert. But it felt good. After that she wanted us to sing a prayer together. For a moment I thought, "Uh-oh, Swedish people are not that religious, what if we don't know the lyrics?"

But I didn't need to worry since the song we were going to sing was "Like a prayer" and of course we knew the lyrics to that one. So we stood up and sang it together. Everyone. It was such an emotional moment that it brought me to tears. I cried. I don't know if it was of happiness or sadness. Because on one hand I was so happy that we were singing this song since it's my number one favorite Madonna song and I had been disappointed when I had learnt it was not a part of the set list. So to still be given this song as a surprise felt like a gift. But the knowledge that we were only singing it because of what had happened in Paris made me feel sad. So I was all emotionally mixed up. But it was such a beautiful moment.

Then Madonna returned to the set list and sang "Rebel Heart". At that point my camera's SD card was full and I couldn't take any more photos. But I didn't mind since just being there and living in that moment was enough to make me feel happy.

Madonna made a couple of jokes towards the end of the show that got me laughing big time. :laughs: She said something about all the good guys being taken and how her marriages hadn't worked out since she was married to the world. Whoever wanted to be with her had to share her with everyone. It doesn't sound so funny. But it sort of was in the show.

Then the show ended around half past midnight, with "Holiday" as all the flags of the nations in the world were displayed in the background and she sang of unity between every nation and celebration. It just felt right and the entire audience were on their feets, clapping and partying their asses off. Despites my fears of the opposite, it had turned into a nice evening after all and I'm so glad that we went to this concert. Since it felt like a once in a lifetime kind of experience. I'll remember and treasure this evening for years to come and if I ever get a chance to attend another Madonna concert I definitely will! [​IMG]

So well that was all about my concert experience and at the end I just wanna say: "Thank you Madonna for going on with the show. It meant a lot to me."

Oh and on a sidenote, the venue was sold out. In total an estimated 40 557 people attended the Madonna Rebel Heart concert, which broke the audience record for the venue, that had a capacity of approximately 40 000 people! [​IMG] "

Also I just found this article online:

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/madonna-billboards-2016-woman-151602607--abc-news-music.html

Apparently Madonna is now the highest grossing female artist of all time after her latest world tour. I can only say congratulations Madonna. You've worked hard for it and earned it. :)

That's all but I hope you've enjoyed re-reading this.

Take care,
    Love:
    Karin.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,584
    Medals:
    I guess it's no secret Madonna endorsed Hillary Clinton for the Presidental Election. She threw an intimate concert in New York for free I think. Here you can watch it if you'd like:

3. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,584
    Medals:
  4. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,584
    Medals:
    Found some clips online from the fundraiser:

And why am I the only one who is posting in this thread?
    Before the crash the Rebel Heart thread was so busy!

Here's also a clip from the cause she's supporting:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,049
    Medals:
    Thanks Karin. That was fun. I couldn't help thinking of the Mother Goose episode of Charlie's Angels:

[​IMG]

While I didn't care for her performance of Send In The Clowns, the Toxic performance was great. The banter was Madonna at her sharpest and I thought the message was a good one too when the lyrics were paired with the video.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,584
    Medals:
    I agree with you about the performances. Toxic was better.

lol I don't think I have ever seen the Mother goose from Charlie's Angels before but yeah I agree that she is dressed out in that clip.

Also I found this today. Madonna Car Karaoke:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,673
    Medals:
    This is so funny! Thanks Karin. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,584
    Medals:
    You're welcome and yeah this guys series of car karaoke is usually a blast to watch. I saw one of him with Michelle Obama too a while back. But yeah Madonna being Madonna of course she can't sit still but starts to dance in the car. It's great. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    Medals:
    Madonna did a new photoshoot for Harper's Bazaar magazine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think she looks fantastic.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,584
    Medals:
    Thanks for sharing Jason. Yes she looks fab as usual. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,584
    Medals:
    Madonna spoke at the women's march on Washington yesterday. This is what she said:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    Medals:
    I go through phases of wanting to hear different periods of Madonna's music in my Favorites playlist. Lately I've been listening to a lot of the Bedtime Stories and American Life albums. I've really been enjoying these two songs:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,802
    There is one image in this thread that annoys me. There is Madonna front stage, belting out a tune, putting on the best show of her life and just look at the audience - holding up there smartphones recording it. This is why I no longer go to any concerts. Why do people feel the urge to video rather than enjoy the experience of it all. When Madonna first toured here in Australia in 1993 I went to both the Sydney and Brisbane concerts. I actually preferred the Brisbane concert since she felt more relaxed than Sydney. The Sydney concert was being filmed for a HBO Special, later released by Warner Home Video. Not only did I thoroughly enjoy both concerts I then purchased the Sydney concert on VHS.

My question is? Why can't people just enjoy the experience of being at the concert rather than view the thing on a 5 inch screen?

• Like Like x 2
  14. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,584
    Medals:
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,584
    Medals:
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    Medals:
    If We Took a Holiday tells the story of a struggling L.A. actress (Nadya Ginsburg) who agrees to impersonate Madonna all day long as a birthday present for her recently dumped gay best friend (Dennis Hensley.) Shenanigans and life lessons ensue.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,673
    Medals:
    So funny.

"You know how many shitty songs I can write in 5 minutes?" :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,115
    Medals:
    She's apparently moved to Portugal and will begin recording her new album there as well as making a film there.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  19. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    Medals:
    If only we all had the money and the means to flee the country until we get our "issues" worked out over here. :D

• Like Like x 2
  20. Payton Cross

Payton Cross Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,576
    Medals:
    I hope Madonna is going to work an a new studio album again. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1