SoapLand - The Battle Of The Married Couples - The Result

Discussion in 'SoapLand - The Battles' started by Willie Oleson, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,882
    We've done the affairs and divorces, but how entertaining were the married couples, and why?
    What was it about the chemistry between these characters that made you enjoy them, one way or another?
    [​IMG]
    What couple - and consequently, what soap - is going to triumph this round?

• Like Like x 4
  2. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,140
    1. JR & Sue Ellen (Dallas)
    They were dysfunctional and yet so entertaining to watch because of the great chemistry between Larry Hagman/Linda Gray.
    Also when things were good between JR/SE it was very good. But when it wasn't it was complete misery.

2. Bobby & Pam (Dallas)

They never cheated on each other, I liked that about their relationship. Their love was constantly put to a test and yet they kept emerging stronger from it all. They were also caught in the middle of the Barnes-Ewing fued, which was a constant source of conflict.

3. Gary & Val (Knots Landing)
    They spent longer being apart than together on the show and yet the audience kept waiting for them to get back together. Because it was obvious it was going to happen sooner or later.

4. Blake & Alexis (Dynasty)
    Passionate love-hate relationship. I know we never really saw them when they were married to each other on the show (even though "A Love Remembered" gave us an idea of their couple dynamics) but I've included them anyway since their marriage was the foundation of the entire show.

5. Lance & Melissa (Falcon Crest)
    My favorite couple on this show.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,882
    Or maybe their divorce.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,003
    1. Gary and Val, Knots Landing---even when they weren't married, they were together.
    2. Laura and Greg, Knots Landing--she was the only one he married for love.
    3. Jason and Sable, The Colbys---the fighting was most of the fun!
    4. Karen and Mack, Knots Landing---again, great fights but even better making-up.
    5. Chase and Maggie, Falcon Crest---I just really liked their "normalcy" in the early seasons.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,658
    1. Laura and Richard
    Knots Landing

[​IMG]
    Dysfunctional and destructive. But oh so fascinating to watch.

2. Valene and Gary
    Knots Landing

[​IMG]
    As Karin said, they were just the couple that the audience knew was meant to be together. Their marital history is a vividly woven tapestry that forms an important part of the backbone of both Dallas and Knots and their (first) remarriage was too big for just one show. Enriching the very first and last episodes of two shows they are prime-time soap’s Genesis and its Revelation. There was a Val and Gary even before the beginning of the whole prime time era. And as Dallas TNT showed, there continues to be a Val and Gary long after what we thought would be the final chapter. Quite simply, there always was a Val and Gary, and it’s quite likely there always will be.

3. Claudia and Matthew
    Dynasty

[​IMG]
    For it’s beautiful fragility.

4. Sable and Jason
    The Colbys

[​IMG]
    The games. The adultery. The manipulation. The family intrusion. The revelations. The divorce. Along with the writing, Beacham and Heston elevated a series of standard soap events into something that was meaningful. The lengthy divorce papers scene between them - filled with love and regret - is one of prime time’s finest moments.

5. Ellie and Jock
    Dallas

[​IMG]
    Another one with history. I was fascinated by what kept these two together even though at times they didn’t seem to like one another. From its practical beginnings as a working relationship made out of financial necessity, through horsewhips, Takapas and Julie Greys to the crockery smashing acceptance that there was no more Jock and Ellie. Their tender moments were few, which made them all the more rewarding.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,882
    I wonder why @Daniel Avery didn't vote for "his" parents. Soap-y issues, perhaps?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,882
    1. Fielding & Constance Carlyle (Flamingo Road)
    upload_2018-7-28_13-18-44.png
    Upcoming politician is being manipulated into a marriage to the ambitious Flamingo Road heiress without giving it too much thought.
    This marriage is so shockingly pathetic it's almost against the rules of SoapLand. I don't think he ever bothered to insult her, apart from the fact that he absolutely did not want her at all. Needless to say, Mrs. Carlyle disagreed, and everyone else too for that matter.

2. Chase & Maggie Gioberti (Falcon Crest)
    upload_2018-7-28_13-27-45.png
    The only couple I've ever really rooted for - I wanted their new life in California to work, which made the permanent fallout even more devastating.
    But even after that the chemistry was still there, albeit a delightfully frustrating kind of chemistry.

3. Matthew & Claudia Blaisdel (Dynasty)
    upload_2018-7-28_13-52-4.png
    It was their story that introduced me to SoapLand, and the idea of "walking on eggshells", not knowing how to fix it, and not sure if they wanted to fix it makes it one of the most unnerving marriages I have seen in a soap series.

4. Richard & Laura Avery (Knots Landing)
    upload_2018-7-28_13-59-1.png
    The frosty atmosphere, the uncomfortable situation it created for the neighbours who tried to pretend not to notice it (at least at very beginning).
    I just loved the "Abigail's Party" vibes coming from this couple, without the satire of course.
    And I've often wondered why these people - the inconsiderate and self-indulgent Richard & the butter-wouldn't-melt-in-her-mouth Laura - had married in the first place.

5. Lance & Melissa Cumson (Falcon Crest)
    upload_2018-7-28_14-14-27.png
    Another arranged marriage, but unlike the Carlyles they played every trick in the book to spite eachother, from telling tales ("Angela, Lance didn't come home last night!") to big melodrama which would result in passionate fight-sex every now and then. After all, they're still beautiful soap people.

I think all these characters were at their best in these particular marriages.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,038
    1) Sue Ellen and JR – DALLAS: The former Ms. Shepard and Miss Texas started out as a trophy wife but quickly got a bigger slice of the screen time, with the top bad character of the Ewing saga.
    2) Val and Gary – KNOTS LANDING: Their arrival on the Sea View Circle cul-de-sac of California marked the commencement of the DALLAS spin off. They looked good together.
    3) Krystle and Blake – DYNASTY: When wealthy oil tycoon Mr. Carrington married his secretary Krystle Jennings they would go on to become one of the more memorable couples from eighties primetime.
    4) Pam and Bobby – DALLAS: On paper you wouldn’t have thought such a marriage could have worked because of the feud, at the pith of the show. They made matrimony mostly work, even in turbulent times. Then the dreaded ‘D’ word came.
    5) Maggie and Chase – FALCON CREST: The show’s most plain sailing marriage early on in the series. Everything was fairly rosy in season 5; post Chase’s romantic encounter with Connie and Maggie with Richard, put it all down to Maggie’s amnesia. In season 6 things fell apart in epic proportions. However all in all a likable couple, for about 80% of their time married.

JR goes to see Sue Ellen, in her campaign office. They soon have another visitor, (a scene from DALLAS TNT season 1, 2012):

Sue Ellen: “JR!”

JR: “I just wanted to drop off a good luck charm, for your campaign. I found Miss Ellie’s pearls, when I was packing up Southfork.”

Cliff then walks in, “well what do we have here, an angel talking to the devil?”

JR: “What’s he doing here?”

Sue Ellen: “Well not that its any of your business JR but I heard that he was in town and I figured I needed a little political advice.”

Cliff: “And I was happy to oblige.”

JR: “Sure was an unpleasant surprise to see you, at Southfork last week. You must have been out of your tiny mind, to think that Bobby would sell the ranch to you.”

Cliff: “I will never stop fighting for what is rightfully mine and I know you are the same way.”

JR: “I’m a changed man Cliff. Evidence of that is the fact that you’re not being wheeled out of here, with two broken legs. Now that Bobby has sold Southfork you can go ahead and leave town. Nothing left for you, in Dallas.”

Cliff: “When you have a several billion dollar share you can do whatever you want to, whenever you want. Shall we?”

Sue Ellen goes to leave with Cliff.

JR: “Are you really going to break bread, with this low life?”

Sue Ellen: “You lost the right to say whom I lunch a long time ago.”

Cliff laughs! They leave a seething JR standing there.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,003
    Though I am definitely a cheerleader for my favorite sarcastic redhead, even I thought it would be in poor taste to vote for both Laura/Greg AND Laura/Richard. Choices had to be made, I'm afraid (lucky for the Giobertis).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,882
    Wow, that sure puts an epic spin on the soap genre!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,642
    1. Lance and Melissa - FALCON CREST
    Starting with this brilliant scene, their marriage was the most fascinating and entertaining of any in all the soaps.

2. Fielding and Constance - FLAMINGO ROAD
    Their engagement and eventual marriage was the central on-going storyline of the first season and was largely what made it such a great series.

3. JR and Sue Ellen - DALLAS
    A marriage that had more ups and downs than Kristin's knickers and provided Dallas with some of it's best scenes.

4. Karen and Mack - KNOTS LANDING
    Most soap marriages are full of conflict, selfishness and appalling behaviour but Karen and Mack's seemed to be one of genuine unity and mutual support.

5. James and Debra Lynn - DALLAS
    Although we didn't see them married on screen for long, I just thought their union was very sweet and genuine with James giving up everything to return to a relatively humble life with Debra Lynn to bring up their son together.

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,882
    At the risk of getting kicked out of the forum - but wasn't Valene happier with Ben, that is before Jean Hackney turned up?
    Personally I always felt that Gary and Valene's marriage, despite all the best intentions, was built on quicksand - as it were - and that it wouldn't take that much for everything to fall apart, again and again.
    Of course the first 4 seasons still dealt with Gary's alcoholism and infidelity so maybe it's not a fair comparison.
    But both Gary and Valene were such sensitive characters that I felt they were better off with more grounded partners like Abby and Ben. Or was that not true love?

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    1. JR and Sue Ellen

Two fascinating and complex characters and one fascinating and complex marriage. It's chemistry, passion and toxicity gave us years of sensational drama, truly the gift that kept on giving.

2. Bobby and Pam

The concept for their modern day Romeo and Juliet story truly was the birth of the prime time soap. You always rooted for them in the face of the never ending adversity their relationship had to endure. Meant for each other, yet destined for tragedy, few pairings in Soapland's stories tugged on the heartstrings quite the way theirs did.

3. Lance and Melissa

998851_482494368507732_191525513_n.jpg

These two trouble makers joined forces to become one of Soapland's sexiest and sneakiest couples. Both schemers, both sluts, there was never a dull moment in this union.

4. Val and Gary

81b24fdd4a57d25666f9241136f01202.jpg

Those Ewing brothers certainly had complicated and colourful love lives and Gary and Val's story was no exception. Married to each other no less than 3 times, this was a love that overcame every obstacle imaginable.

5. Jason and Sable

download.jpg

We are introduced to this marriage late in the game as things begin to fall apart and what a heartbreaking and tragic battlefield it is. Superb performances elevate this story to one which is filled with pathos and drama.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
  14. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,658
    Indeed. And why not, say I?

:giggle:

Absolutely.

None of the couples I voted for was really on the basis of their happiness. Ellie was happier with Clayton than Jock. Laura and Richard both seemed to have healthier second marriages to other people. Likewise, Karen and Mack were both seen as very compatible and good together, but Karen and Sid's dynamic was far more interesting for me as a viewer. A couple needs a little friction in soaps, I think.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,235
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Great choices and reasonings from everybody! Hard to limit to 5, again...

1- Bobby & Pam (Dallas)

2- Chase & Maggie (FC)

3- Ray & Donna (Dallas)

4- Karen & Mack (KL)

5- Gary & Abby (KL)

6- Miss Piggy & Kermit (Muppets)

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Zach

Zach Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +409
    1. Gary and Val Ewing (Knots Landing)
    2. Richard and Laura Avery (Knots Landing)
    3. Karen and Mack McKenzie (Knots Landing)
    4. Pam and Bobby Ewing (Dallas)
    5. Maggie and Chase Gioberti (Falcon Crest)

• Like Like x 9
  17. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    This is the easiest one ever. Thank you! Lol no one has said Krystle and Blake yet they were married the entire shows run haha

My number one would absolutely and of course be Stephanie Harper and Dan Marshall in a Return to Eden. Loved them!

However as that won’t really be counted I’m going to go with the other obvious

1. Pam and Bobby - the chemistry between these two. Beautiful, loving and loyal :)
    2. Donna and Ray (especially in the dream)
    3. Miss Ellie and Clayton
    4. Pam and Mark (one of the briefest but sweetest marriages in soap history)
    5. Sue Ellen And Jr

Special mention to Val and Gary, Dana and Adam, Alexis and Dex, Alexis and Blake and Jilly and Jake Sanders ;-)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
  18. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,882
    But we've included RTE as a SoapBattle candidate especially for you.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    Oh thank you thank you thank you @Willie Oleson ! You are a legend!!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +893
    1: JR and Sue Ellen - Dallas: alcoholism, adultery, shootings, slaps, children of questionable paternity, divorce and remarriage. I love a dysfunctional couple but these two took it to the next level. And did any other soap couple provide us with such scathing one liners as these two?

https://dallasdecoder.com/2013/09/13/she-said-it-the-wit-and-wisdom-of-sue-ellen-ewing/

2: Sable and Jason - The Colbys: I said this during the "Divorces" battle but in the world of Dynasty, where the collapse of marriages often happened within a matter of episodes, the slowly disintegrating relationship of Sable and Jason was a breath of fresh air. You felt their pain as Jason threw in the towel while Sable battled with all her might to hang on to her man. And when the end came, it was epic. And while I thought Jason was an idiot for leaving Sable and she was an idiot for chasing him after he humiliated her with her sister, you could see how this could happen in real life - Jason the love-struck fool, living off memories and convincing himself that the grass would be greener with a fling from the past while Sable, so in love with him that she would forgive him anything, even him running off with her sibling. They were a married couple so in love but so at war at the same time.

3: Abby and Gary - Knots Landing: I believe Gary would've divorced Abby earlier had the sex not been so red hot. They were one married couple where you believed that the horn was strong, from both parties. They oozed sex.

4: Laura and Greg - Knots Landing:
    two of my favourite (and there's many) Knots characters thrown together and fighting against the forces that tried to keep them apart (namely Ava Gardner and Abby). They were equally as cynical, equally as fond of a wisecrack and like all the other couples on this list, played by a great pair of actors.

[​IMG]

5: Karen and Mack - Knots Landing: amidst the sea of drama and marital uncertainty on the cul-de-sac, Karen and Mack were the one mainstay throughout the show, with Michele and Kevin's dynamic allowing them to come across as a "regular" couple that you felt you knew, despite their involvement in irregular dramas like taking on shady consortiums and finding their friend's supposedly dead babies.

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1