1. Check Out Our Musical Secret Santa

Coming to Soap Chat this Christmas

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

SoapLand - The Battle Of The Media

Discussion in 'SoapLand - The Battles' started by Willie Oleson, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,433
    This is about all kinds of broadcasts, articles or otherwise published work that was relevant to the story, or maybe I should say: relevant to the characters.
    The weather forecast could be very important, but it's not personal.

upload_2018-10-29_22-37-40.png

I'm sure there's a lot to choose from!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,433
    See? I was a newspaper man before it became fashionable.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,473
    Oddly enough, the media events that come to my mind all seem to revolve around the same storyline/events.

1. Capricorn Crude, KL. Val's night-school, creative-writing project took on such a life of its own that it ended up playing a role in the dissolution of her marriage, but it also made her "famous" (in the Ewingverse) and rich. "A Family In Texas," as it was originally called, was a roman a clef about her in-laws, which means it is a multi-soap media endeavor. It also spawned several other media events.

2. Val Ewing guesting on The Mike Douglas Show, KL. Having a fictional character appear on a "real" talk show to promote her unreal book was quite a spectacle. Douglas seemed to be having fun playing himself in a fictional universe, and frankly I'm not sure Zsa Zsa Gabor was even aware that this was not an actual episode of Douglas's show.

3. KL tabloid Global Gossip had the headline of season four: "Booze and Women Made my Life Hell: Ewing Ex Tells All in New Book". Chip had leaked several chapters of unpublished Capricorn Crude to the tabloid to get a job offer, and having his dirty laundry aired so publicly shoves Gary right off the wagon.

4. (not related to Cap Crude) A writer at another tabloid, Weekly World Secrets, cozied up to Cathy after Joshua's death and wrote the headline of season seven: "Evangelist Rush Tried to Murder Songbird Wife". Photos of a hilariously combative Lilimae end up on the cover of the tabloid, leading her to make a desperate dash through the supermarket to collect all the copies. Yeah, that'll help.

5. KL's Anne and Mack reminiscing about their past while "Dedicated To the One I Love" plays in the background. At least she didn't try to sing along with...herself.

Honorable Mention to Knots Landing Motors' one and only television commercial, starring a stiff and nervous Gary Ewing.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,139
    1. Rendezvous in Rome
    BC.JPG

Alexis' scheming pays off as her carefully orchestrated scandal hits the society pages. The Denver Chronicle were in such a hurry to report this breaking news they even spelled 'rendezvous' wrong. Poor Krystle is none too pleased and consequently finds herself in the arms of Dr. Toscanni.

2. Live from The Oil Barons Club
    dddd.JPG

Thankfully the Ewings throwing a party to celebrate Jenna's release from prison is newsworthy enough to send a camera crew to The Oil Baron's Club making this iconic moment possible. Katherine is not impressed, and with the help of some tomato juice, turns this happily family moment into something fabulously foreboding and sinister.

3. Dark beginnings revealed
    JP.JPG

In an unusually sneaky move by Emma, she sees to it that Maggie's story about Jacqueline's Nazi past makes it onto the front page of The New Globe. Richard is furious, as a phone call from Spiros confirms that she has all but signed his death warrant.

4. The two missing Carringtons
    dya.JPG

Alexis reveals a big secret from the past to the world in what started out as an appeal to find the missing LB. Krystle and Fallon are shocked to hear of the existence of Adam and we the viewers don't have to wait long to meet him, as luckily he happens to be watching.

5. Breaking news about Bobby
    critique-dallas-episode-162-killer-at-large-1-copy.jpg

Ray and Donna learn that Bobby has been shot in a nicely directed little scene. They're out and about in downtown Dallas when they spot the news report on a TV screen in a department store.

Honourable mentions:

Capricorn Crude

Sister Dearest

Sam Culver: The Early Years

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,433
    Tee-hee!
    I think Michael Torrance was a Dynasty fan too!
    Indeed, there is something surreal about that image.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,474
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    It´s sort of a Truman´s Show rip-off: Ray and Donna suddenly realize they are part of a TV series...Maybe they´re even announcing that the Duffster is going to leave at the end of the season..!

7. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,474
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Voilà my choice of Top 5:

1- "Dallas Press" reporting about Sue Ellen´s arrest as J.R. assailant ("Dallas: No More, Mr. Nice Guy", Part 1, OR Season 3). Cliff learns about his ex-lover´s misfortune reading from another person´s newspaper (who hasn´t done that?). Linda Gray´s new glamour photo presumably taken from the second Season´s press book. I also love that "Ewing Oil Collapse" headline from "A House Divided".

upload_2018-10-31_20-10-25.png

2- "Dallas Press" (again) speculating about Julie Grey´s literally "cliffhanger-ish" death ("Dallas: The Red File, Part 1). The first (accidental?) murder on "Dallas" was used by the writers to stir things up and make Bobby and Pam apart, for awhile. In the background, pregnant Sue Ellen drank herself into oblivion...

upload_2018-10-31_19-52-35.jpeg
    "Look Bobby: "Gililland´s Island" re-runs begin today!"​

3- "Dallas Press" (who else?) published its most scandalous (to date) piece of news, hinting that "that Barnes woman" might have gone lesbos and done threesomes with her model friend ("Dallas: Call-Girl", Season 1). I loved the way Jock smiled when Pam came back after that, and wondered how his thoughts about his daughter-in-law had changed. Only J.R. sniffled for awhile...

[​IMG]
    Original footage from this scene was bought and
    destroyed by Principal Secret Melon Scented Global.

4- "Sudden Friendship" was a novel that Maggie Gioberti wrote during her amnesia phase which led to a number of catastrophes, including her kidnapping and Chase being shot (the novel was first mentioned in the Falcon Crest Season 5 episode "Unconceivable Affairs"). At first, it was hinted that the story had been inspired by Maggie´s attraction toward Richard, but it soon was made clear that Chase was the true inspiration...or wasn´t it?

[​IMG]
    "Oh heavenly God...That Maggie tramp wrote
    that I and Jacqueline were lovers. I´ll suit her!"
    5- "The 1987 Valentine Lingerie Calendar" starring Mandy Winger. Last but not least (slutty), this was one of the most talked about published "works" of the Supersoaps decade ("Dallas: Trompe l´oeil", Season 9). As a way to get rid of J.R.´s mistress Mandy, aka "that Winger tramp", aka "trash with(out) class" who says "I sell sex", Sue Ellen decides to hire her secretly to become the poster woman of her new lingerie business. When J.R. sees her image on the paper, their affair begins to fall apart.

upload_2018-10-31_20-49-3.jpeg
    "If only was our affair what is falling apart..."​

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,433
    1. DYNASTY meets The Twilight Zone when Krystle Carrington watches her replacement on television.
    upload_2018-11-1_14-57-54.png

2. KNOTS LANDING - The Mike Douglas Show
    upload_2018-11-1_15-0-23.png
    A scene with a mega novel-ty factor, because with the story of the parent show hidden in the novel that's being discussed on a real talk show that's playing itself on a soap, it creates the idea of a Matryoshka doll.

3. DYNASTY - Sammy Jo learns that Steven is alive.
    upload_2018-11-1_15-22-36.png upload_2018-11-1_15-22-52.png
    Surely this has to be SoapLand's #1 gimmick.

4. KNOTS LANDING - 1001 Nights Of Anne Matheson
    upload_2018-11-1_15-25-34.png upload_2018-11-1_15-25-59.png
    Radio diva Anne Matheson (of all people) is going to help other KnotsLanders with their heartaches and amorous failures.
    Nevertheless, it was a touching scene when Benny "anonymously" declared his love for a certain "anonymous" person.

5. DALLAS - Breaking News About Bobby (that image posted by Richard did it for me)

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,433
    LOL

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,473
    Yeah, everyone got tired of I Dream of Jeannie.

11. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,499
    1. Emma publishes the story about Jacqueline being a Nazi collaborator without Richard's knowledge. FALCON CREST
    2. Cliff hears on the radio that Bobby has been mowed down by a car outside Pam's house. DALLAS
    3. Mike Douglas interviews Valene on his TV show and bizarrely Zsa Zsa Gabor is there too. KNOTS LANDING
    4. The San Francisco Globe reveals that Cole is the father of Melissa's baby. FALCON CREST
    5. All hell breaks loose when the first draft of Valene's second book is published after Chip steals the manuscript. KNOTS LANDING

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,275
    1) Katherine watches the T.V. with jealously: Released jailbird Jenna is celebrating with her love interest Bobby and spoiled brat daughter Charlie. The celebration is shown on the T.V. Deranged Katherine Wentworth is watching with jealously and to top this throws her tomato juice, at the T.V. - DALLAS.
    2) Angela is arrested for dumping toxic waste: The Globe ran a front page article that Angela had been arrested for dumping toxic waste, at Richard's horse racing stadium - FALCON CREST.
    3) Sammy Jo discovers that Steven is alive, with a new face: Alexis and Blake's youngest son was thought to have perished in an overseas oil rig explosion. Lover Sammy Jo (aka blonde vixen Heather Locklear) gets the shock of her life, when she looks at a rag headline - DYNASTY.
    4) Maggie's 'Sudden Friendship': Chase's wife suffered from amnesia, post the bomb at her boyfriend Richard's mansion. During her time recuperating in the Gioberti castle Maggie penned a book. There was a woman who featured a lot, with many of Angela's attributes and a man who Maggie liked a lot. Was this man Chase or Richard or a combination of both? - FALCON CREST.
    5) Cliff's political small screen crusade against the Ewings: In the very first episode J.R. was watching the television, in his office. Low and behold Cliff Barnes was on applying his politics, digging into J.R. and Jock's business - DALLAS.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,556
    1. Val on The Mike Douglas Show (Knots Landing)
    I love it how this blurred the lines between reality and fiction.

2. "Booze and Women Made my Life Hell: Ewing Ex Tells All in New Book". (Knots Landing)
    Because of all the drama that followed from this one leaked article.

3. Paternity Suit (Dallas)
    The newspaper wondering if JR or Cliff was John Ross' daddy that the Ewings read at their breakfast table.

4. Rendezvous in Rome (Dynasty)

I love it how Alexis had hired the papparazzi to take those photos of her and Blake.

5. Breaking news about Bobby (Dallas)
    Great drama how Ray and Donna found out like that.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,116
    How have I not battled this week?! Give me five and I'll be back with my choices...

15. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,116
    1. Kristin Karlson’s Scoop
    Dallas
    [​IMG]

“Barnes, this reporter has just learned, has been implicated in the abortion death of a young woman who was his fiancée...”

The episode in which Dallas really started firing on all cylinders for me.

2. The Mike Douglas Show
    Knots Landing
    “You are the Ewing who wrote that very wicked book? I loooove it.”

When this was re-run in the UK in 1989, the Radio Times - either cannily or erroneously - billed the special guest as "Michael Douglas". Regardless, this is a fun sequence and for a short time it feels like the equivalent of that Homer Squared episode of The Simpsons when the cultural phenomenon that is the Dallas saga spills out into the real world. The Ewings of Dallas are discussed and acknowledged by celebs interacting with two Knots characters, while the rest of the cast gather round their TV sets and watch. It could easily have been a jump the shark moment. Instead it becomes a poignant moment of regret for both Val and the watching Gary as she reflects on the price of her success. Abby watches Gary watching Val and it becomes a perfect storm of soapy fallout.

3. Global Gossip’s Headline
    Knots Landing
    “Booze And Women Made My Life Hell: Ewing Ex Tells All In New Book”

4. Breaking News About Bobby*
    Dallas
    “Hey. Hey! They’re talkin’ about Bob”
    “Looks like a re-run of No More Mister Nice Guy”

* Special thanks to Richard Channing for reminding me of this one

5. Rendezvous In Rome
    Dynasty
    “Blake Carrington And Ex-Wife...”

Special mention for:

Capricorn Crude
    Knots Landing
    [​IMG]

“It’s lurid. It’s cheap. It’s vulgar. I can’t tell you how disgusting it is.”*

*Author’s own words

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,116
    Perhaps that's how they spell it in the "Mid-East". ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,271
    1. Cliff hears about Bobby being run over and Katherine dying at Pam’s house - so well done. Kens expressions were spot on

2. Dynasty’s scene holding the National Enquirer with Dallas on the cover. Soap crossover surrealness

3. Katherine throwing tomato juice at the telly. Seeing Jenna and Charlie onscreen makes me want to do that too ;-)

4. Donna and Ray watch the big screen through shop window about Bobby’s shooting

5. Alexis and Blake appeal for Adams return on tv

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    1 - Sammy Jo & the Enquirer: early Dynasty often gave nods to other shows (Fallon watching Ryan's Hope, Alexis watching either Love Boat or Vegas) but this was a cool little reference to it's main rival and possibly the only time (aside from spinoffs) where one 80's soap acknowledged another's existence.

2 - Val on The Mike Douglas Show: the presence of Zsa Zsa really makes this sequence.

3 - Alexis' secret is out: Amanda announces her entrance into the lives of the Carringtons by doing an interview with the Denver Chronicle, earning her a front page spread and a slap in the face. It was an apt beginning to the stepfather shagging, prince marrying, massacre surviving shenanigans that would keep her occupied in the years that followed.

[​IMG]

4 - Rendezvous in Rome: so trashy and jet setty at the same time, Alexis uses Italian paparazzi to taunt Krystle from across the Atlantic.

5 - Alexis is the Press: not a specific event but a brief era during which Alexis bought the Denver Mirror, seemingly to use it solely to torment Blake while dressed as a character from The Flintstones.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,473
    'Tis a pity we could not have gotten her to slap the stew out of Chip Roberts on our behalf.

"Oh my word, you got ZsaZsa-ed by Zsa Zsa herself!" ---Lilimae

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,433
    Is it a roman à clef?
    -I don't know because I didn't write it in French.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1