The Miami Showband Massacre

Discussion in 'Documentaries' started by Willie Oleson, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,756
    Medals:
    upload_2019-3-30_2-42-36.png

Well, I've always wanted to know more about Ireland.
    This story is so amazing in so many ways I'd be hard-pressed to choose the part that hit me the most.

I know about guerillas and wars in South and East Europe, but this happened under the grey sky of Western Europe in the 1970s, and it certainly didn't end right there and then.
    A fascinating and sickening underbelly, combined with the drama of the survivors.
    And it really is like ABBA sang it, "without a song or dance, what are we?"

• Like Like x 4
  2. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +555
    Medals:
    You're also learning more about the UK, the massacre happened in a region of the UK - carried out by members of the British Army, allegedly with the involvement of British Intelligence.

The release of this documentary on Netflix is timely given how the Brexit disaster could possibly drag Northern Ireland back to a time of checkpoints.

Fitting. The showbands tended to be enjoyed by all communities in Northern Ireland. I think that made it all the more devastating, I haven't watched yet so it'll be interesting to see if the documentary covers that idea.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  3. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,495
    Medals:
  4. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,756
    Medals:
    At the risk of saying something totally inappropriate - I would almost expect these kind of shenanigans from countries like Italy or Russia, but since it happened in Ireland (and England), a society relatively similar to the one I grew up in (all the West-Europeans who should know better after WWII), it makes the whole story eerily fascinating.
    I got similar vibes from watching The Red Riding Trilogy ("here in the North we do it our way!"), these almost mediëval sub-cultures within the Western culture.
    I don't mean to be disrespectful by comparing real life tragedies to a fictional story, I'm only describing how it felt when I watched the documentary.
    Because I think it's the deceit that makes it so frightening.
    Like, Ireland? Sheep and lovely cottages sitting seemingly quiet at the very edge of Europe, it should be the happiest country in the world with all their picturesque pubs and sailor anthems.
    But no, it's drenched in villainy and tragedy. Just unbelievable.

• Like Like x 1
  5. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,495
    Medals:
    I guess wherever there's history, there's ... stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,121
    Medals:
    I mean that's just one small part of it. It's so fractured and so complicated and messed up. As time went on it became more than the Irish vs British, Green vs Orange, Catholic vs Protestant. In the end both sides were turning on themselves, splintering, wiping out threats to power. Just a total blood bath. And the world is largely unaware of how bad it was as coverage of it all and the truth about collusion and security force involvement was largely downplayed and one sided. I always have a terrible feeling when I talk about what was, and it does seem so very far away now.

The thought of returning to things like a hard border and checkpoints fills me with dread. I remember being frisked as a child by soldiers with huge riffles and having the car searched. Armed foot patrols and army jeeps. Nobody needs to go back that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,756
    Medals:
    Absolutely. Of course I remember the images of bombed cities shown on the news but I was too young to be interested, and maybe I've never really believed it, how strange that may seem.
    From a simplistic and uninformed point of view I never understood why Northern Irish people would prefer to be part of the UK. They're Irish, why wouldn't they wanted a United Ireland?
    But like you said, it's very complicated, too many things had happened (bad blood tends to stick) and - more importantly - history doesn't always have to make sense.
    And I guess the Catholics vs Protestants thing helped creating a sense of them vs them.
    But not when the bands were playing. It's our most primitive desire that unites us and yet we're trying so hard to prove that that's not true.

8. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,121
    Medals:
    Well that's just it. Those Northern Irish people see Northern Ireland as a separate country, part of the UK. They would balk at the very idea of being Irish. They are by and large descendants of British planters who were placed here a very, very long time ago. That's the basis of the Catholic vs Protestant war. Irish Catholics and British Protestants, but that's also a very simplistic way of looking at it. And of course it's all been going on for centuries and both sides have been pawns toyed with by the British establishment.

Like Stephen Travers says in the documentary that's just what the British do, and have done, no matter where they go.

9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,756
    Medals:
    Off-topic: I've noticed that you're a "Soap Chat Champian", is that a reference to the infamous champagne scene?

10. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,121
    Medals:
    Yes. Yes it is.

• Funny Funny x 1