The most watched cliffhanger was?

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Falcon Crest I, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +788
    Medals:
    The plane crash of 1984 when 22 million people originally watched, what was thought to be Julia's ashes being taken by Angela and the others to Italy. I would have thought the most popular would have been the previous year.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,799
    Medals:
    The plane crash was an extremely dramatic well structured finish, to the rollercoaster 3rd season. Some old archive movie footage was thrown in for good measure. With contracts up for renewal whose character would be destined for the great winery up above. Margaret Ladd suggested to Jane Wyman that she had hired a parachute just as a precaution.

Chase is piloting Richard’s private jet to Italy. The occupants are going to scatter Julia’s presumed ashes, in the Tuscany Valley over there. Everybody is on board except Cole, Melissa, Pamela and Chao-Li, (a scene from season 3, 1983 – ’84):

Chase says to his co-pilot Jack: “We’ve been sabotaged.”

He continues: “Mayday Denver, mayday. We’ve lost our hydraulics and both engines.”

They try increasing the trust.

Chase: “Hell Denver we’re going down!”

In the night sky the jet is plummeting like a stone.

The passengers are at their wits end. Angela closes her eyes and starts praying.

Freeze frame, fade to black, the closing credits and the theme tune.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Arlene Halloran

Arlene Halloran Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +571
    Medals:
    I was glad to see the back of one particular character, since he had became a bit of a bore.

4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,576
    Medals:
    I suspect it was more than 22 million, as the way these things are counted becomes so confused and misleading -- and the counting system changes over time.

Do you know what the actual rating of that episode was in America?

If the actual rating was a "22" then you used to mulitply that roughly by 1.5 and that translated into about 33 million America viewers.

Now, I think they do "households" instead of individual viewers. And either way, it's never really accurate. Conventional wisdom used to be that you take the "official" numbers, and then double them.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +19,723
    Medals:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that what you're saying is that the S2 cliffhanger was better. And I agree, but as Jock Og said, the S3 story was more exhilarating which probably resulted in more viewers.
    I'm sure there are many fans who started to watch these soaps at a later time - heck, I started "Dallas" with the dream season!

• Like Like x 3
  6. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +788
    Medals:
    I don't know what the actual rating was but you've made some interesting points.

Not necessarily better. The S2 cliffhanger was just as dramatic as S3. I thought it was a great way to get the viewers back for the new season and set the ground work for a main character to spend some time behind bars, with a Falcon Crest twist.

• Like Like x 4