The Munsters vs The Addams Family?

Discussion in 'Notable TV' started by Snarky's Ghost, Jul 15, 2017.

?

Which creepy 1964 sitcom was better?

1. The Munsters

20.0%
  2. The Addams Family

66.7%
  3. Both families were low-brow spectral whores -- I go for BEWITCHED

13.3%
  1. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,428
    Medals:
    I'm not sure if I've even seen The Munsters. I voted for The Addams simply because it's more iconic.

My mom taught me a Swedish novelty song with the Addams Family theme song and snapping of fingers when I was a kid. About a money in the jungle who couldn't burp and therefore had a tummy ache.

2. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,896
    Medals:
    Munsters for sure. So funny.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,267
    Medals:
    That was pretty much my point. In any case, you've answered you own question there. :)

4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,774
    Medals:
    No, I meant should they have run longer...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +776
    They were each Top 30 shows their first seasons, the Addamses at #23 and the Munsters at #18. The Nielsen ratings charts signal that each show fell out of the Top 30 in their sophomore seasons, all though it's a toss-up as to whether they were winning their time slots or not. (I haven't found the information to be precise.)

I think it would have been interesting to see them each in color, and really in color, not these colorized attempts. Maybe the networks felt that type of satirical black humor had simply ran its course, and therefore pulled their plugs. If they had of went to color, I'd almost bet that we wouldn't be discussing if it should have switched, but instead how it changed when it switched.

It would have, as I theorize, brought forth a Andy Griffith-type situation, debating the pre- and post-B&W episodes, especially if the each had two B&W and two color seasons. Aside from the shows being different simply because their in color, I can't help but think they'd tweak something else and the feel of the show would have shifted.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,774
    Medals:
    Oh, certainly. In the case of ANDY GRIFFITH, the tone shifted for various reasons, including from the introduction of color. The show became "loud" in a late-'60s TV way, and Andy became more abrasive, in contrast to the ghostly serenity of the B&W early-'60s years.

We had the 1966 movie MUNSTERS GO HOME to give us a sense of what MUNSTERS in color would look like. With color stills from the set of ADDAMS we see that wallpaper in the living room was blood red, certainly some that never "read" on camera in B&W.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,267
    Medals:
    The disappointing 1977 reunion move Halloween with the New Addams Family was shot in colour (on videotape sadly) so that gives some idea as well.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,774
    Medals:
    Yes, I posted that in Post #15, although the closing song is wonderful and ought to be dredged up and become a Halloween standard.

• Like Like x 2
  9. superman fan

superman fan Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    stay at home auntie
    Ratings:
    +663
    I love the Addams family and have the box set!

10. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    Though I enjoy both shows, I prefer The Addams Family over The Munsters, I think the writing and overall tone of the series is better. I also appreciate that the Addams are arguably one of the most functional, loving and supportive families in the history of television.

I'm not sure color would have enhanced either series; black & white suits them. I know Charles Addams did color illustrations but a lot of his work was in black & white. I've read that The Munsters was inspired by Universal Studios' classic horror films which were all filmed in black & white so it seems appropriate for the show to be too. The two live action Addams Family films were in color but the production design wisely kept their costumes and home mostly black & white, it was when they were outside their domain ("Debbie, pastels?!") that more color was used.

I wonder about the choice of the pink-red damask wallpaper; I don't know that they chose it for its true color or how it would appear in black & white. I've seen color photos of the sets from Bewitched's black & white seasons and there is red damask wallpaper which was not used when the show switched to color and the sets were redecorated.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,774
    Medals:
    Oh, yes, ghostly B&W suits them, but they would have been forced to make the switch to color in the fall of '66 as per industry standards at the time. I just wonder how it would have shifted the tone of both shows had it happened.

12. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,267
    Medals:
    I was wondering about that, myself. For example, I understand that George Reeves's Superman costume in the black and white episodes was actually in shades of brown for better contrast, and Harpo Marx's wig, which had been red on stage, was changed to blond on film because it stood out better.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  13. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +776
    The switch to color, as I theorize, would have softened the shows. Their gloomy, classic horror film-type look would have been shredded. The color transition would have, I think, shifted the shows towards a more typical sitcomish endeavor and the oddities and quirks would have been de-emphasized. Eventually, they would have only looked different from mainstream America, and their quirks would have become archetypal and stale.

• Agree Agree x 1