SoapLand - The Battle Of The One Season Characters

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Richard Channing, Aug 12, 2019 at 10:24 PM.

1. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,005
    Medals:
    Next up we're gonna focus on our favourite characters that were only on their show for a season. Many memorable characters came and went over the years, but which ones really stood out or left a lasting impression on you?
    Now, I can see certain questions arise as to who might qualify and who might not, but pretty much any character who was essentially a one season character, so a few episodes at the end of the previous season, or if it took a few episodes into the following season to wrap up their story, is fine. Let's say 5 either side. So, for example, someone like Chip Roberts on Knots (who, incidentally, might well have been on my list) would not qualify, as his story line went 10 episodes into the following season. Also characters who returned for a stint in a later season won't be included.

[​IMG]
    *(Unrelated GIF :))

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019 at 10:25 PM
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    1. Mickey Trotter Dallas
    2. Luke Fuller Dynasty
    3. Peter Richards Fallas (sorry)
    4. Holly Harwood Dallas
    5. Wes Parmalee/Ben Stivers Dallas

If any of those don’t count then Angelica Nero and her ostrich feathers

Jake Sanders RTE was only in one season even though there was only one season he wouldn’t have returned. He was very fun to watch

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 12:49 AM
    • Like Like x 6
  3. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +371
    1. Janet Baines - Knots Landing
    2. Ciji - Knots Landing
    3. Mickey Trotter- Dallas
    4. Holly Harwood-Dallas
    5. Wes Parmelee - Dallas

• Like Like x 6
  4. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,577
    Medals:
    Excellent choice. I'd forgotten about Janet.

I'd love to have included Mickey in my choices, but as he appeared in six episodes of Season Six, he's not eligible according to the guidelines set for this round:
    Granted, it's borderline. But without order we have chaos.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,005
    Medals:
    Hmmm, well I'm not sure what to do. Whether to be a little flexible for the sake of one episode or to stick strictly to that rule? I had a feeling this was gonna get complicated!

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,005
    Medals:
    Correct me if I am wrong here @Mel O'Drama, but I just had a look at Dallas decoder's episode guide and apparently Mickey dies in episode 5 of season 5, 'The quality of mercy'. Maybe we see his corpse in episode 6 which is why he might be credited for that? Anyway, based on this new evidence I've decided that Mickey will indeed qualify. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +371
    Ok. If Mickey qualifies, awesome. If not, I'll put in Dwayne Cooley on Falcon Crest.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,577
    Medals:
    You're right, RC. His final credited episode is the one with the flashback to the life support being unplugged, so it'll be a brief glimpse of him there, I think.

Excellent. Thanks for the sage adjudication. :hat:

• Like Like x 3
  9. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,597
    Medals:
    1. Michael Tyrone - FLAMINGO ROAD - A bit like Richard Channing on steroids. A great addition to the cast in season 2. He hated and wanted to bring down just about every major character on the show.

[​IMG]

2. Wes Parmalee - DALLAS - I still believe he was Jock but either way he stirred up the Ewing family and created many memorable scenes.

[​IMG]

3. Kit Marlowe/Skylar Kimble - FALCON CREST - He entrance to the show was brilliant when we saw the real Skylar murdered and Kit assumed her identity.

[​IMG]

4. Angelica Nero - DALLAS - The perpetrator of the best murder ever on a soap when she stabbed Nicholas with her hair pin and casually wiped off the blood before replacing it in her hair. Just brilliant.

[​IMG]

5. Daniel Reece - DYNASTY - Was great to see Rock Hudson back on prime time TV.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 3:23 PM
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 4
  10. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +19,606
    Medals:
    1. Ciji Dunne - KNOTS LANDING Season 4
    upload_2019-8-13_18-35-29.png
    Everybody wants a piece of Ciji – and Chip wants a piece of everybody
    Well, that was my fake season title when I posted my overexcited review of season 4 (but I think I had good reasons to be overexcited!).
    Ciji is the cement in the structure of Knots Landing's fantastic fourth season, even the Wards got a massive upgrade because of her, and that's why I think she was the most successful one-season-character.

2. Sable Colby - DYNASTY Season 9
    upload_2019-8-13_18-42-1.png
    She's already been given much love in these soap battles, but if she hadn't opened that giant can of worms then Dynasty last season's storyline wouldn't even exist.
    Mover & Shaker doesn't even begin to describe it.

3. Genele Erickson - FALCON CREST Season 9
    upload_2019-8-13_18-45-55.png
    Say about that season what you like, but Genele was dynamite, a more outrageous version of the traditional soap vixen. And unlike most murderous soap characters, she was written into the story because she had killed someone.

4. Lindsay Blaisdel - DYNASTY Season 1
    upload_2019-8-13_18-50-3.png
    Most people always assume I'm joking when I say something positive about Lindsay, but I really like her. She added so much drama (and tears!) to the story of the very, very dysfunctional Blaisdel family.

5. Alex Barth - KNOTS LANDING Season 13 (+ 3 episodes of season 14)
    upload_2019-8-13_18-54-27.png
    Of all the New Kids On De Sac he was my favourite. Nasty, kinky, sexy - and extra points for upsetting that horrible Claudia Whitaker.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Victoriafan3

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    Thanks for letting Mickey qualify :)

I don’t think he was in every episode of the season prior anyway so it kinda balances out imo ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,739
    Medals:
    1. Ciji Dunne, KL

2. Dwayne Cooley, FC

3. Ruth Galveston, KL

4. Mark St. Claire, KL

5. Sable Colby, Dynasty

• Like Like x 7
  13. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,620
    Medals:
    1 - Sable Colby on Dynasty: I wasn't sure if she'd qualify given her stint on The Colbys but technically she was only on one season of Dynasty (bar the guest spot in season 6). It's well documented how great a character she is but adding her to season 9 was a real shot in the arm for the show. It revitalised it and finally gave Alexis someone equal to spar with after the steam had run out of her feuds with Krystle and Sammy Jo.

2 - Michael Tyrone on Flamingo Road: in a cast filled with colourful characters, Michael truly was larger than life. He added an extra edge particularly with the voodoo angle in the show's latter episodes.

3 - Skylar Kimball on Falcon Crest: her memorably explosive arrival is one of my standout memories of FC.

4 - Dr. Nick Toscanni on Dynasty: his "returning undercover to get revenge for his brother's death" angle is a soap plot as old as time but he played it well and was a strong presence in the show's second season.

5 - Jordan Roberts on Falcon Crest: because I love Morgan Fairchild in everything she appears in and Jordan's split personality arc was an interesting departure for a nighttime soap.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
  14. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,577
    Medals:
    Mine's a bit Knots-heavy this time.

1. Ciji Dunne

Knots Landing
    [​IMG]
    The most perfectly utilised one-season character in soapdom. Ciji and Chip were the first two people I thought of when I saw this Battle’s theme. With Ciji’s arrival, all the characters were thrown for the first time into an ongoing storyline (well - series of storylines) that were intricately tied together. Her presence brought out some rich and ugly colours in all the series regulars. I find Ciji one of the more cinematic characters, because hers is a very specific journey with a sense that its twists have been carefully mapped out in advance, with an accessible beginning, a dramatic, complex middle and a memorable ending. And because this is Knots, the film-within-a-saga happens perfectly organically, with each person’s reaction coming from - and enhancing - their established characters.

2. Dr Mitch Ackerman
    Knots Landing

[​IMG]
    The man whose actions resulted season's worth of twisty consequences. Sinister and human both, he could go from imposing to twitchy at the drop of a hat. All his scenes were filled with darkness and tension. And he had one of the series' more memorable exits.

3. Janet Baines
    Knots Landing
    [​IMG]
    It’s appropriate that my #3 choice was brought in to investigate the death of my #1. Joanna Pettet brought an earthy naturalism to the series, and for a secondary, almost functional, character, a surprising degree of chemistry with any character she came into contact with. She’s one of several characters that left me wanting to know more.

Ironically, Janet appeared in more episodes of the follow-up season to her first (four and five episodes respectively), but with her entire arc taking place over nine consecutive episodes I think she still fits the bill.

4. Ruth Sumner-Galveston
    Knots Landing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Season Six of Knots was all things to all people. Or near enough. There were so many different complex layers, themes and tones. And in the midst of it all waltzed a major Hollywood star. I’ve always liked the cloak and dagger of her arrival. Ruth jetted in, made a mysterious entrance - all leg shots, big hats and limousines with blacked-out windows - and married a powerful man on his deathbed. In other words, it had nods to Alexis’s first season and a bit. The difference being that all this happened before Ruth had shown her face or uttered a word.

Once onscreen, she was all predatory smiles, whispered collusion, cigarette smoke and acid put downs. Not Knots’ most subtle character, but fun and memorable, as all good one-season characters should be.

5. John Zorelli
    Dynasty
    [​IMG]
    Much as I wanted to vote for Sable, I just couldn’t make the maths work in my head for her to be a true one-season character. Just as I would have excluded my previous choice if she’d arrived after two seasons of On Safari With Sumner. She’d have an unfair advantage in terms of coming on, establishing her character, being part of things and exiting.

But.. I’ll throw in Sable’s Season Nine peer primarily because of the effect his presence had on the characters with whom he interacted. Wherever Zorelli went there was tension and closed ranks. But paradoxically the characters around him were also more lively and animated than they had been for years. It’s not all Zorelli’s doing, but I see him somehow of a symbol of Season Nine’s more relaxed and earthy outlook.

Special mention to...

Nurse Carolee Wilson
    Knots Landing
    [​IMG]

She had a pivotal role in the series' biggest storyline and her journey had lots to hold the interest: kidnapping, blackmail, outside pressure, guilt, regret. Saundra Sharp made her one of the most sympathetic tertiary characters to have appeared in soap. And she’s one of the few soap characters to have undergone both a recast and a name change.

The only reason I didn't include her was because at only four episodes as a named character, I'd question that Nurse Wilson has enough appearances to be classed as a "one-season" character (kind of the opposite to Sable).

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
  15. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +19,606
    Medals:
    The miserable Phil Harbert would have been my 6th choice.
    upload_2019-8-14_11-37-40.png

Or actually my 7th choice because I had to exclude Dianne Kirkwood from my list. She was in 6 episodes of the next season. Dammit.

• Like Like x 3
  16. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,180
    Medals:
    Mark St. Claire on Knots Landing.
    His storyline went 12 episodes into the following season, to just before the halfway point. Although he was absent from two episodes during those 12. And had also been absent the episode after he was introduced in season four.

Mark St. Claire made a big impression on me. The only one I ever cared for.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 11:18 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  17. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,180
    Medals:
    But what is the ruling if you have a character like Paul Galveston (who I was especially fond of) who snuffed it in the season that he first appeared but then his imagined ghost turned up for a one-off years later? That isn't like a batch of episodes later on.

18. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,005
    Medals:
    If you want to include him in your top 5 feel free.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Victoriafan3

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    Oh yes John Zorelli Dynasty. He was really good. He and a better story/script brought Emma Samm’s Fallon to life! :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,775
    Medals:
    1) Angelica Nero: I thought the character of Angelica added another dimension to the year DALLAS went a bit DYNASTY, as an elegant ruthless martinet. Bobby wasn't around; J.R. teamed up with cousin Jack and what was in the briefcase went off in spectacular style. Angelica made sure of that - DALLAS.

2) Wes Parmalee: Steve Forrest who acted as Wes and Ben a year earlier was a very versatile actor. He was in the last collectively good season of the Texas show and while his exit was slightly ambiguous there is no denying he shook up the Ewing family, the patriarch Jock was back in town or was he really? "Their mine Miss Ellie, always have been!" - DALLAS.

3) Nicole Sauget: Nicole was a glamourous European diva who showed up in the wine country, with a claim to presumed drowned Chase's estate. During her visit in season 7 she clashed understandably with Maggie and Angela. Who would be the one to see the back of Chase's old flame out of Tuscany, never to return but all the richer for appearing? - FALCON CREST.

4) Dwayne Cooley: Emma's love interest and later her husband. A civil hard working trucker who soon settled into the surroundings of grapes like a fish to water, this was Dwayne. Angela being Angela didn't think he was good enough for her youngest daughter. There were plenty of funny moments between Emma and her new beau. Unfortunately tragedy would strike due to the earthquake - FALCON CREST.

5) Brady Lloyd: Fresh from his stint in STAR WARS Billy Dee Williams breezed into the Colorado show as white suited Brady, a mega wealthy music mogul and spouse of singer Dominique Deveraux. Mr. Lloyd didn't hang around when Dominique made Colorado her home. There were bigger fish to fry; in a music sense, elsewhere - DYNASTY.

Angelica Nero meets J.R. in his Ewing Oil office. Unknown to the oil baron she hands him a bomb, which is ticking in a briefcase. J.R. believes the contents to be only business papers. He wants to get a confession out of Angelica regarding a murder, (a scene from season 8; 'The Dream Year', DVD - 9, 1985 - '86):

J.R. calls Detective Harry McSween and his boys, on the intercom: "Well boys if that isn't enough I don't know what is."

Angelica: "What are you doing?"

J.R.: "Well, I asked some friends of mine to come in to listen to this. Just in case."

Harry McSween restrains Ms. Nero, she says: "Call them off!"

J.R.: "Well, he's just doing his duty. I can't interfere."

Angelica: "Call them off, if you don't want to die!"

J.R. to Harry: "You get all you needed?"

Detective Harry McSween: "We've got plenty."

Angelica to J.R.: "You fool! You're as good as dead and so is Jack if he isn't dead already."

J.R.: "Get her out of here!"

Angelica: "I just want you to know, it's too late! It's too late J.R! IT'S TOO LATE!"

J.R.: "Too late? My god......Jack!"

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1