SoapLand - The Battle Of The Parentage Issues: The Result

Discussion in 'SoapLand - The Battles' started by Willie Oleson, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,902
    An illicit love affair here, an adoption there, kidnappers and DNA switchers - this battle is about those stories that tormented our beloved Happy TV Families.

"Who's my real mother?" "Who's my real father?" "Could it be my child?"

SoapLand thrived on these stories so it shouldn't be too difficult to remember 5 favourites, but less is fine of course.

upload_2018-2-7_23-20-33.png upload_2018-2-7_23-21-0.png upload_2018-2-7_23-24-25.png upload_2018-2-7_23-25-16.png

"Who is going to win this time?" I have no idea!​

• Like Like x 8
  2. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,902
    1. Is He Not My Father?: Blake vs. Fallon (Dynasty S2)
    upload_2018-2-8_23-36-34.png
    The idea that Cecil could be Fallon's real father was a very juicy detail, but the real problem was: is Blake Carrington not her father?
    Being Blake Carrington's daughter was Fallon's raison d'être - this may seem like stating the obvious, but what I mean is that's how she valued herself.
    It was The Most Important Thing, and in that regard she had a lot in common with JR Ewing.
    In Fallon's world there are two kinds of people: Carringtons and Nobodies, and yet it was a Nobody who told her that she probably wasn't a Carrington at all.

2. Who's The Father?: Jeff vs. Miles (The Colbys S2)
    upload_2018-2-8_23-55-5.png
    The plotline itself was actually quite ordinary, but it caused so much havoc and rampage that I had to rank it as #2.
    "Paternity uncertain...tissue typing test not recommended until after delivery"

3. Is That My Child?: Monica vs. Scott (The Colbys S2)
    upload_2018-2-9_0-23-27.png
    She thinks that he doesn't know...but what she doesn't know is that...
    I think it was a great twisty storyline that brought the best and worst out of these characters.

4. Who's My Mother?: Richard vs. Jacqueline (Falcon Crest S2)
    upload_2018-2-9_0-12-12.png
    "Richard Channing has spent nearly half a million dollars over the past ten years looking for his mother, and not finding her".

That seems to indicate that she doesn't want to be found, which was the first part of the intrigue.
    "My husband was unfaithful to me. And there's a woman out there responsible for that!".
    And then the whole world wanted to know.

5. She's My Mother?: Constance vs. Lute-Mae (Flamingo Road)
    upload_2018-2-9_0-35-33.png
    "Do you really think I would marry the daughter of a town tramp?
    Look, Constance! Look at yourself. The bastard child of Lute-Mae Sanders".

The fact that she always treated Lute-Mae like dirt makes me feel a little less sorry for her.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
  3. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,012
    I hope I'm understanding the parameters of the challenge.

1. Who's the father of Val's twins? KL
    "I'm perfectly capable of raising your children alone." This line (early in season nine) marked the first time she confirmed what Gary had believed for some time--that Gary, not Ben, was the father of the twins she gave birth to in season six.

2. Angela's supposedly stillborn son was in fact Richard Channing, FC
    This was wonderfully done, even managing to drop in a "flashback" (Wyman in an old movie) where Angela was lied to and told her baby had died.

3. Greg Sumner was the son of Paul Galveston, KL
    Having his ball-busting mama show up and push him around led Greg to make a very public revelation--and give up a Senate seat. Laura's eyerolls were a highlight, too.

4. Steve Brewer was in fact the product of Claudia Whittaker and Paul Galveston's illicit encounter, KL
    Hearing that Paul G slept with Ruth AND Ruth's teenaged daughter Claudia was icky. Claudia claimed he raped her, but dead men tell no tales...

5. Laura was adopted, KL
    Retconning Laura's parentage was a bold move, seeing as how they didn't want to give her meaty material when she was alive. Still, the Mary/Loretta Robeson story, with multiple impostor scenarios, blackmail and deaths, spread themselves out over several other characters' stories.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 3
  4. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,671
    1. The Twins’ Father: An Open Secret
    Knots Landing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

“You have no right to tell the world that your family means less to you than Val’s bastards”

The result of divorced Val and Gary’s one night stand when they were both in new relationships. The father didn’t have any idea he was the father until years after the fact. Unfortunately the father’s new wife did know and her word in the ear of the wrong person resulted in them being stolen at birth - with the claim they were stillborn - and handed to another couple on the black market. So the real mother and the father-that-didn’t-know-he-was-the-father, along with the new wife who’d had them stolen and the new husband who knew he wasn’t the father but was happy to pretend he was had to track them down and try to reclaim custody from the adoptive parents. Even when the dust settled, there was more drama to come when the father-that-didn’t-know-he-was-the-father became the father-that-was-pretty-damned-sure-he-was-the-father. As parentage issues go this pretty much covers all the ground.

2. Jeff’s Father: Burden Of Proof
    The Colbys

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    “Your honour. I’m his father. Jeff’s my son.”

In true Colbys style, the scale of presentation was epic, right down to the dramatically scored, suspenseful courtroom reveal in which every major character was present. Francesca tried to wriggle off the hook for about ten minutes before someone stepped in to tell the truth on her behalf. The instantaneous fallout was equally epic. And let's not forget that this tied into Frankie and Jeff's long-absent mother saga.

3. Joshua’s Mother: Ask Auntie
    Knots Landing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

“Your mother didn’t die when you were a baby. She knew she’d make you and your father miserable if she stayed. ...But she never stopped lovin’ you. You have to believe that. It was the most painful thing she ever did.”

The most poignant reveal. Two fragile people, neither one quite prepared for the enormity of the truth.

4. Who Shot J.R. III Into Sue Ellen?
    Dallas
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    “Chances are it’s yours, J.R.? And if it isn’t, what you go’n do about it?”

The original Cliff-hanger, full of twists and turns, face slaps and blood tests.

5. Long Lost Son: Do They Know Him From Adam?
    Dynasty
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

“My name... is Adam Carrington.”

TV appeals. Silver rattles. Deathbed confessions. Let it not be said that Adam didn’t have a great introduction.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
  5. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,236
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    1- Who is John Ross Ewing III´s father? (Dallas Seasons 1 & 2)

[​IMG]
    2- Who is Melissa´s baby´s father? (Falcon Crest Seasons 1 & 2)

upload_2018-2-9_14-59-34.jpeg
    3- Who is Fallon Carrington´s father? (Dynasty Season 2)

[​IMG]
    4- Who is Christopher Ewing´s father? (Dallas Season 4)

[​IMG]
    5- Who is Maggie Gioberti´s baby´s father? (FC Season 6)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  6. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,648
    1. Richard turning out to be Angela's son who was previously thought to have died shortly after birth. FALCON CREST
    2. Constance Weldon Carlyle's real mother is Lute Mae Sanders, a ticking time bomb under the first one and a half seasons. FLAMINGO ROAD
    3. Will the true paternity of Melissa's son Joseph be revealed? Melissa telling Lance about it shortly after they are married and pushing a piece of wedding cake into his mouth so he couldn't respond was one of the great scenes of FALCON CREST
    4. Who is John Ross's father, JR or Cliff? DALLAS
    5. Lillie Mae is really Joshua's mother. KNOTS LANDING

• Like Like x 8
  7. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,902
    I can't believe I forgot this one, now I'm tempted to change my list.

Ooh...do you think there's enough character-introduction material for a Soap Battle?

He didn't know?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,671
    Well, your list is quite fascinating as it is, but I am curious about where it would end up in your top five.

Lord, yes! Soaps are all about the entrances (well, not all about them. But perhaps they should be).

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,012
    I considered Lilimae/Joshua for my list, but turned it down because the big secret only lasted about two or three episodes. Heck, it was written all over Lilimae's face the minute she opened the door. Still, if I were allowed a #6....:innocent:

• Like Like x 4
  10. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,141
    1. John Ross Ewing III (or was he really a Barnes?) - Dallas
    2. Val's babies, she sure kept "uncle" Gary guessing - Knots Landing
    3. Richard being Angela's son a twist that changed the dynamics completely - Falcon Crest
    4. Is Bobby Charlie's father - Dallas
    5. Joshua is Val's half brother - Knots Landing

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 9
  11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,902
    Ah, I think I misunderstood @Toni's choice as John Ross from TNT Dallas.

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,141
    I can understand why a photo of a grown up John Ross an Dallas season one and two would make you think of that but clearly he refered to the original show. I wish he'd chosen another image for who is Christopher's daddy though as I hate that car explosion.

13. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,038
    1) Jock is Ray’s daddy: The down to earth ranch hand Ray Krebbs was revealed in season 3 (DVD-4) as the love child of Jock and Nurse Margaret Hunter. Understandably Ellie wasn’t too happy and how was Ray going to adjust to being a member of the Ewing family – DALLAS.
    2) Richard is Angela’s son: After five years of believing Angela’s nemesis Jacqueline Perrault to be his mother the shadowy Richard Channing was thrust into the Channing wine world, as the oldest of the family – FALCON CREST.
    3) Is John Ross a Barnes or a Ewing: As Sue Ellen was with Cliff and became pregnant shortly after was there a bombshell about to be dropped, on the oil wealthy Ewings? Could Jock’s first male grandchild who he was so proud of, actually be a Barnes? – DALLAS.
    4) Another Carrington offspring enters the opulent Dynasty: A new 1982 character was kidnapped as a baby and brought up as Michael Torrance. However an engraved baby rattle with A.A.C. and a deathbed confession from grandmother Torrance led Adam Alexander Carrington to Denver, where he was reunited with his parents Alexis and Blake – DYNASTY.
    5) Melissa s**t stirs about Joseph’s paternity: In the tug of war that was her love life, one minute Lance then the next Cole, Melissa initiates a paternity puzzle. So which of the two men is Joseph’s father? Eventually in this cat and mouse game the Giobertis would discover they had got their first grandchild – FALCON CREST.

The family are in the Southfork living room, celebrating Donna and Ray’s marriage. Bobby proposes a toast to them and that they will be as happy 50 years from now, (a scene from season 3, DVD-4, 1980-‘81):

Ellie: “I’d like to make an announcement. I think it’ll make Donna very happy.”

Jock: “What’s that Miss Ellie?”

Ellie: “This morning when Donna and Ray were getting married the D.O.A went to court. We got an injunction. We’ve stopped the Takapa development.”

Ray looks over at Jock.

Jock says angrily: “You what?”

Ellie: “We’ve stopped Takapa!”

Jock: “What are you talking about? I am Takapa!”

A shocked Ellie: “You what?”

Jock: “I am Takapa!”

Jock leaves his glass of wine on the mantle piece and storms off.

Everyone looks at each other, as Sue Ellen chirps up, “Here’s to you Donna. Welcome to the Ewing family!”

The frame freezes on a shocked Ellie. Fade to black, the closing credits and the theme music.

• Like Like x 7
  14. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,029
    1. Is bobby Charlie’s father (Thank merciful heavens not)
    2. Is Blake Amanda’s father?
    3. Is JRchristophers father? Pity he wasn’t
    4. Is Dominique Blake’s sister?
    5. Who is fallons dad?

Honourable mentions to Jock being rays papa and Adam carrington finds his identity

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 7
  15. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +894
    1: Val's Twins - Mel described it perfectly. This long running arc involved many characters on the show, somethings Knots was so good at. It also gave us that great season 7 shady showdown between Greg and a gold lamé clad Abby while the rest of the cast watched on "Everybody knows who the father is".

2: Jeff is a Colby but not the Colby that he thought he was - another epic paternity saga that dragged in every character on the show. Even Alexis had a offscreen hand in this one. Car accidents, incriminating letters from the past, Sable's scheming, the courtroom drama, the fallout - this one had everything.

[​IMG]

3: Richard is Angela's son - Angela discovers that the thorn in her side was once the bun in her oven. The reveal with Peter's letter was great too.

4: Constance is Lute Mae's daughter - given that it was spoken about so regularly in the first season, it's a miracle that it took so long for Constance's true parentage to be revealed.

5: Amanda "Bedford" - she was no Fallon but I'm quite fond of Catherine Oxenberg's Amanda. Alexis trying to pretend that she was result of of fling with a nameless ski instructor was so Alexis. And Amanda fairly went in with all guns blazing when it came to seeking acknowledgement from her mother.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
  16. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +894
    I forget to give a nod to this one. It's not a soap but it deserves an honourable mention among the 80's parentage sagas.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +415
    1. The paternity of Valene's twin babies, KL.
    2. Who was the father of John Ross, Dallas.
    3. Yes Jacqueline is, oh no she isn't Richard's mum, she stole him, FC.
    4. Maggie discovers about her adoption, FC.
    5. Adam joins the Carrington family, after many years of separation, Dynasty.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,468
    1. Val's twins (KL)

2. Adam is a Carrington (Dynasty)

3. Ray is Jock's son (Dallas)

4. Jaqueline is revealed to be Richard's mother (FC)

5. Jeff is Jason's son (The Colbys)

• Like Like x 6
  19. Jessie

Jessie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,318
    My top 5

1. Who is John Ross Father? Cliff or J.R ? -Dallas

2. Jock is Ray’s Father -Dallas

3. Who is the Father of Valene’s Twins? Knots Landing

4. Richard is Angela’s Son-Falcon Crest

5. Who is Christopher Ewing’s Father? Dallas

• Like Like x 4
  20. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,902
    Thanks! The results will be posted very soon.