SoapLand - The Battle Of The Parties: The Result

Discussion in 'SoapLand - The Battles' started by Richard Channing, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,455
    Since it's the festive season I thought this might be a good time to vote on our favourite parties. From big balls to grand openings, from galas to fundraisers to barbecues, Soapland sure knew how to throw a good party. But which one would you have wanted a VIP pass to?

[​IMG]

As we've already done weddings they won't be included. Also for parties that were an annual event, such as Dallas' Oil Baron's Ball and barbecue, please state which one you're voting for. Either by season or preferably by the events/drama that occurred.
    Let's party! :jolly:

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,024
    Oh goodie gum drops. What a great festive topic indeed. Decisions decisions. So many gems to choose from...

• Like Like x 4
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,875
    1. The Dinner Party (Dynasty, season 1)
    upload_2017-12-23_7-7-13.png
    Walter and the Blaisdels are invited, because Blake wants their business.
    It's beautifully directed, and what starts as a friendly and vibrant party, slowly turns into an awkward mess.
    Steven and Claudia, the outcasts, share some tender moments in the library, and Fallon overhears Krystle and Matthew's private discussion.
    upload_2017-12-23_7-17-9.png
    "Don't lecture me on discretion, Miss Hypocrite".

2. Founders Day Party (Falcon Crest, season 2)
    It starts with the parade and they're all wearing traditional costumes and then there's an after-party at Falcon Crest.
    Melissa walks in on her husband and another woman, and then makes sure that Angela does the same.

Maggie confronts Angela with her scheme.
    upload_2017-12-23_7-28-57.png
    "My script. You've paid for it, you're entitled to a copy".

Richard Channing makes a surprise announcement: "A toast, to my mother. Jacqueline Perrault!"
    upload_2017-12-23_7-33-36.png
    "You bitch!"

3. Anniversary Waltz (The Colbys, season 1)
    Surprise!
    upload_2017-12-23_7-37-45.png
    But Jason confronts his (hopefully)-soon-to-be-ex-wife with the secretly recorded, steamy conversation between her and Zach Powers.
    "Sable, why don't you let me go, please. I don't love you, I love Frankie".
    Well, that definitely worked as a wake-up call.
    upload_2017-12-23_7-56-41.png
    You can hear the tears in her voice.
    They were such a magnificent, perfectly-cast couple.

4. The Gala (The Colbys, season 2)
    There's a handsome Russian ballerino performing electric boogie (so eighties!) and Sable decides that Channing and Miles should have a baby.
    But Channing tells Miles, quite hysterically, "I am barren!"
    As a result, Miles gets drunk and performs a panda-dance for Fallon and her unborn baby.
    upload_2017-12-23_8-15-58.png
    Jeff gets angry, there's some serious punches and of course they end up in the pool. Totally unexpected,the other guests join them.
    upload_2017-12-23_8-20-5.png
    This improper display of festivity creates a nice contrast with the dramatic score.

5. Masquerade (Dynasty, season 6)
    Obviously it's a Nolan Miller vehicle, and yes, it looks fabulous.
    upload_2017-12-23_8-27-16.png
    The Carrington brothers are having a staircase fight, and Alexis gloats when her mystery guest removes his disguise.
    upload_2017-12-23_8-30-25.png

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
  4. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,999
    1. In the middle of season seven of Knots Landing, several characters were blackmailing Abby about her role in the kidnapping of Val's babies, including Olivia, Peter, and Greg. In the middle of an environmental (charity) benefit at Lotus Point, Abby hits her limit and starts fighting back. She explains her role in the kidnapping in front of everyone (including Val and Gary) with a few "choice details" omitted, basically making herself Val's savior. She then drags Olivia home, tricks Sylvia into admitting her scheme with Peter, and has Gary's request to expand Lotus Point denied by the planning commission. She even managed to get Val and Ben off her back by reiterating to the assembled crowd that Ben was absolutely the twins' father. Little wonder the episode was titled "Phoenix Rises".

2. There were no sequined gowns or tuxedos, but the party at Sid and Karen's in (KL) season one's "Bottom of the Bottle" featured the good (Gary's promotion to VP at Knots Landing Motors); the bad (Gary takes a glass of champagne from an oblivious Richard), and the ugly (the four couples have what can only be called a "disco party" in the Fairgate living room that would drive just about anyone to drink). Gary's fall from the wagon was devastating for the entire cul-de-sac, and was easily the most memorable plot from that first season.

3. The grand opening party for The Club at The Point in late season eight of KL could very easily have been a disaster if they had discovered Peter Hollister lying on the dance floor with a receipt spindle sticking out of his back. Luckily our gal Abby had managed to clean up the grisly death scene hours earlier. But would the cast members have had as much fun boogey-ing the night away if they had known a dead State Senator was bleeding all over the equipment in the DJ booth?

4. While the cast of characters in season four of KL assembled at Daniel to celebrate Ciji's record contract and hear Ciji sing, not everyone was in the mood for a "Celebration" (the episode title). Ciji was busy getting herself murdered by Chip Roberts, and Gary was wandering about in a drunken stupor. At least Ginger finally got the chance to sing.

5. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I have to give a shout-out to the Back To the Cul-De-Sac miniseries for the Mack/Karen Anniversary party, since it was the perfect excuse to invite several past characters to appear and have their moment to "catch up" on what they've been up to.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,455
    1. Oil Baron's Ball (Dallas season 7 DVD)

Ladies with an attitude, fellas that were in the mood (for a fight). This party had it all, sequins and tuxedos, bitchin'and brawlin'.

2. Changing Times (FC)

Terry throws a little soiree, throws her brother in law under the bus and throws herself at Lance, all to the annoyance of soon-to-be husband Michael. Melissa throws herself at her husband, her bit on the side, and her ex and manages to get rejected by all three, while Angela makes a deal to sell her baby to Chase in return for her share of Falcon Crest. The night ends in tragedy as, although Linda ends up losing her baby in a car crash, she herself survives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xhYlFetwj8

3. Masquerade (Dynasty)

Krystle has trouble getting through the door in a beautifully embroidered armored vehicle and that's the least camp thing that happens. Alexis hatches an evil plan and a bad egg in the form of uber villan Ben Carrington, and Blake ends up with egg on his face.

4. Celebration (KL)

There's a whodunnit being cooked up as the main course at Daniel during the launch of Ciji's new album, who's star would surely have shined brightly had in not been extinguished that very night. The party is remarkable more for what doesn't happen than what does, and for who doesn't show up, or shows up late, and for where it's all leading us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlR171UzuEA

5. Barbecue Three (Dallas)

The Ewings unite as an angry lynch mob threatens to destroy them, and then start to bicker amongst themselves, as Ellie threatens to have Jock's will overturned and sell Ewing Oil. So many battle lines are drawn that shape events for the rest of the season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsz60dh78mM&t=238s

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,875
    Awesome!
    I'm afraid I didn't remember any of the Dallas parties (except the one with Angelica Nero)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,235
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    My parties!:up:

1. Dallas- The Big Ball (Mama accepts Jock is deeaad again)

2. Dallas- The Oil Barons Ball (Pam & Jennaskank bitching)

3. Dallas- OBB III (JR announces Bob & Jennaskank's wedding)

4. F. Crest- Season 2 (Richard exposes Mama Lana, you bitch!)

5. Dallas- The Wind of Change (Pam announces she won't sell, see you at the office partner!)

Dynas-who? Colbys-who?:crazy:

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. phil colby

phil colby Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +119
    1. Dynasty- season 1 the dinnerparty
    2. Dynasty- season 6 masquerade
    3. Dynasty- season 3 the roaring 20s
    4. Dynasty- season 4 carousel ball
    5. Dynasty/the Colbys- season 6 the Titans

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Victoriafan3

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,024
    1. Dallas winds of change - victoria looks so beautiful and reunited with the real Miss Ellie, loved that ball

2. Dallas OBBIII - again, Victoria utterly stunning and it was so sad when JR announced bobby’s Engagement to that Woman and Jamie puts a pie in cliffs face

3. Dallas Close encounters - the rodeo where Donna miscarried and Angelica murmured about doing something mean to our Pam. How dare she!

4. Dallas the party (was that a bbq?) where Jamie pushes Marilee into the pool and hot water up get nose

5. Dallas the oil barons ball - where peeedur goes as Lucy’s date. Very funny punch up and ladies room encounter

• Like Like x 5
  10. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,643
    I've gone all Knotty for this round:

1. Karen's Thanksgiving Soirée

Knots Landing Season Six
    [​IMG]
    The hostess is busy disguising the inconvenient symptoms of her impending death. Abby takes time off from hunting Valene's babies to eat a meal with people she can't stand. Val forgets she's divorced which gives everyone the opportunity for a dramatic close-up - Gary's new wife not least.

2. Ciji's Album Launch at Daniel (AKA Celebration)
    [​IMG]

Knots Landing Season Four
    The shocking culmination of a season's worth of story and the prelude to one of Soapland's finest police investigations with a dash of the whodunnits.

3. The Lotus Point Charity Event
    [​IMG]

Knots Landing Season Seven
    Abby throws down the plate, accepting the challenge to convince everyone she's The Landing's very own Mother Teresa.

4. Ginger's Baby Shower
    Knots Landing Season Two
    [​IMG]
    For this moment:

5. The Fairgate-Avery Welcoming Committee
    Knots Landing Season One
    Traditional party games include: "Pin The Tail On The Kenny", "What's Dijonnaise?", "Smother The Alcoholic" and "Vealchops" (similar to Twister, but you're wet, naked and on sand).

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  11. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,037
    1) BBQ N.o. 1: Digger singing ‘The Yellow Rose Of Texas’, his argy bargy with Jock, bourbon galore and mountains of Texas food – DALLAS mimi-series, DVD-1.
    2) Masquerade: Alexis as we have come to expect and Blake versus Ben – DYNASTY season 6.
    3) The revelation about Jacqueline: In a full house at Falcon Crest Richard announces a revelation about Jacqueline and Angela wastes no time in exclaiming “You bitch!” – FALCON CREST season 2.
    4) Angela’s success at least for now: Everyone is in their finery as Angela tells her guests about the Helios Foods deal but it spells bad news for Chase and Richard – FALCON CREST season 4.
    5) Anniversary Waltz: Jason believes he has the ammunition to road Sable and finally get her sister Frankie into his bed, on a more permanent basis – THE COLBYS season 1.

Bobby is jogging. It’s the day of the Southfork barbecue. He meets Tilly and Jock outside the mansion, (a scene from the mini-series, DVD-1, 1978):

Bobby: “Morning daddy!”

Jock: “Morning Bobby!”

Bobby: “Hey let me carry that for ya.”

Jock laughs and says, “Oh I think I’ve got enough left in me to tow the case of my best bourbon whiskey.”

Bobby: “Suit yourself. Well Tilly are you ready to feed half the state of Texas?”

Tilly: “Been catering Ewing parties 12 years Mr. Bobby, ain’t nobody ever gone hungry yet.”

Bobby: “I guess you’re right. Would you please drop the Mr.?”

Tilly: “Sam and I drop the Mr.? Have to charge 10% less.”

Bobby: “Daddy just don’t strain yourself before your big reunion.”

Jock: “Hey reunion, what do ya mean reunion?”

Bobby: “Didn’t mama tell ya?”

Jock: “Tell me what?”

Bobby: “Well Pamela’s daddy is coming.”

Jock: “Willard Barnes coming here?”

Bobby laughs and says, “Willard?”

Jock: “Yeah Willard. That was his name before he called himself Digger. Now what the hell is he coming out here for?”

Bobby: “Well he’s Pamela’s daddy. He’s my father-in-law. He should be invited.”

Jock: “Inviting one thing. Accepting is another.”

Bobby: “Ah come on! It’s gonna be the greatest thing ever happened; you and Digger get back together, might even bury the hatchet. See ya later!”

Jock: “My house. My barbecue. Digger Barnes!” He strips his teeth.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,139
    1. The Oil Baron's Ball (DVD Season 7) - Dallas
    Jenna Wade is back and Pam is really jealous. Cliff wins Oil Baron of the year and the whole event ends with one big fight.

2. The Oil Baron's Ball (DVD Season 8) - Dallas
    Pam tells Mandy that she still feels for Bobby and Mandy advise her to tell Bobby. JR overhears them and hurries to announce Jenna and Bobby's engagement to everyone at the ball.

3. "The Fair" - Dynasty (season 8)
    The costumes were awesome and I think I remember a scene where Alexis was involved in a tug o war and ended up in the mud! *lol*

4. Ciji's Album Launch at Daniel (AKA Celebration) - Knots Landing
    I've just watched this and it's all very dramatic. Ciji misses her own album launch and Ginger finally gets her moment in the spotlight.

5. The Gala - The Colbys
    For that hilarious Russian dance at the party and I think someone, probably Miles and Jeff also ended up in the pool.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  13. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +890
    1: Dynasty - S02 The Party: paternity revelations, reconciliations, miraculous recoveries from faked blindness, a car crash and of course, this scene

2: Knots Landing - S07 Phoenix Rises: I love scenes that involve half of the cast and Abby's fightback against Greg was just epic. Even the "dress" that Cathy was almost wearing, couldn't steal Abby's thunder.

3: The Colbys - Reception at the British Consulate: a pretty low key affair in comparison to some of the other parties on our lists but it warrants a mention for containing the best showdown of the series between the warring Scott sisters.

4: Dynasty - Masquerade: only on Dynasty would a villain make his grand entrance by peeling off a fake beard. But I mainly love it for this costume from Dominique.

[​IMG]

5: Dynasty - Dominique & Garrett's engagement party at La Mirage: "Good evening Alexis, I'm sure you knew this was a private party".

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,875
    I should have voted for this one too.
    I also liked the shocking entrance of Joan/Helene's enemy in SINS.
    upload_2017-12-31_16-33-39.png (was this a better costume?:lol:)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Victoriafan3

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,024
    I think the Masquerade Dynasty episode (stunning costumes!) is different from the episode where Alexis has a tug of war into the mud? That’s a red dress from memory, more Edwardian style or something with a brunette wig. Funny too but masquerade was gorgeous.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,875
    That's from Dynasty's season 8. We prefer not to talk about it.

• Funny Funny x 4
  17. Victoriafan3

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,024
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,794
    Oh noooooooooo I just remembered Karen singing. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO make it stop. Such a weird moment.

19. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,139
    Thanks for that one Sarah! :lolo:
    Oh well at least it's a change from Disney's "A Christmas Fantasy" that's been stuck on my mind since November! :giggle:

Oh and thanks @Victoriafan3 I changed my vote to the episode I thought it was.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Gioberti84

Gioberti84 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +386
    1. Oil Barons Ball - The year Miss Ellie accepts Jock's death, Dallas
    2. Founders Day - Maggie confronts Angela. Angela gets a shocking surprise at the end, Falcon Crest
    3. Masquerade - Costumes and fancy dress on everyone made it one to remember, Dynasty
    4. 1978 Barbeque - Another yearly event and what a way to start, Dallas
    5. Ciji's album launch - Singing the night away it wasn't, Knots Landing

• Like Like x 3