SoapLand - The Battle Of The Prison Scenes - The Result

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Richard Channing, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    What with all the illegal goings on in Soapland more than a few of it's residents found themselves behind bars over the years. Some just found themselves in there for a night, others had much longer stays. Sometimes the drama came from their interactions with other prisoners or prison staff and sometimes it could have been from a visit from a friend or family member.

[​IMG]

This is one of those where I can't think of a whole lot off the top of my head but I have no doubt I'll be surprised, and have my memory refreshed, by what other members come up with. Let the battle commence.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    For all the wrong reasons Jenna’s imprisonment in 84-85 is right up there for me. Apparently she might have killed Naldo but her placement behind bars could really be for keeping Bobby and Pam apart or for hammy acting. They also had a great stylist in Jenna’s prison as she got a whole new do as soon as she went in there ;-) never has a character received such a gleeful reaction for being imprisoned from something they didn’t do

But Alexis/Neal McVane in the red dress will also be a strong contender.

Not included but remember Corries Free Deirdre in 1998? Dear Emily Bishops immortal line...’if Deirdre’s guilty, then I’m a banana!’

And of course there was our heroine Stephane Harper, sent to jail because her half sister Jilly set her up. Luckily that was rectified quickly!!

Will wait to see others ideas before I vote but these all stuck in my memory

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
  3. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    1. Alexis arrested for murder.

AlexisJail.jpg

Being arrested for murder the night of your daughter's wedding and 'death' is terribly inconvenient. On the other hand, it meant that although Alexis was uncharacteristically slumming it, at least she was doing it in haute coture. One of Dynasty's iconic moments. "Let me out of here!!"

2. Sue Ellen arrested for murder.

se.JPG

Sue Ellen is abandoned by the Ewings and left to fend for herself after being arrested for shooting JR, and even she doesn't know if she did it or not. Luckily her ex-lover is back from the dead to bail her out. Phew!

3. Val visits Gary.

gary.JPG

Apparently it's not that easy to remember if you've murdered someone if you've had too much to drink. Gary follows in Sue Ellen's footsteps and also doesn't know if he's committed the crime he's been accused of. Luckily it's Val to the rescue to assure him that he's not capable of violence when he blacks out.

4. JR has Ray locked up.

jr2.JPG

Ray is in self destruct mode after Jock's death and JR sees the perfect opportunity to get his hands on his 10 voting shares in Ewing oil. JR wastes no time in kicking Ray when he's down and reminding him what a waste of space he is. As usual his manipulations get him exactly what he wants.

5. Melissa visits Julia.

final mel.JPG

During several visits from Melissa she has managed to convince Julia that the best revenge she could get against Angela is to plead guilty to Carlo's murder. Having successfully accomplished this, in her next visit she convinces her that she's the only friend she has left and that even Lance has turned against her. When Julia comes to the conclusion that she has nothing left to live for Melissa agrees and suggests she ask for the death penalty, to which Julia agrees. Mission accomplished.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +893
    1: Sue Ellen's Detention Detox Hell - Dallas: a scarily gritty performance from Linda Gray as Sue Ellen goes through alcohol withdrawals while behind bars.

2: Val tells Gary a few home truths - Knots Landing: from the season four finale "Willing Victims", Val shows up to put her ex husband straight about a few things as only Val can. The episode's closing sequence, which appears a few minutes later, is also amazingly atmospheric - Abby gazes out into the ocean which leads into Val sitting silently in her armchair which leads into Gary, behind bars, contemplating his future as his freezeframe fades into sepia, Sons and Daughters cliffhanger style.

3: Alexis's Prison Platter - Dynasty: Alexis was the queen of casual camp (working out in a leotard and stilettos anyone?) but she outdid herself in this prison scene where she feasted on caviar and champagne while awaiting her fate in relation to the death of Mark Jennings.

4: Prison Break: Caracas - Dynasty: from Dex's Rambo period, the sequence where he and Clay break Caress out of Venezuelan prison by infiltrating the prison staff and subsequently blowing a hole in the wall is so WTF ridiculous that I love it. I like to think that this particular arc served as the inspiration for Prison Break's underrated third season set in Panama.

[​IMG]

5: Falcon Crest does Prisoner Cell Block H: in what was possibly the writer's expressing their feelings for Abby Dalton at the time, Julia has a shank pulled on her in the prison kitchen before she is dunked underneath the taps and thrown to the floor as her butch prison warden looks on and allows her torment to continue.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,882
    When I think of Knots Landing, that's the first image that comes to mind.

1. Christopher visits Cliff Barnes in prison - Dallas
    upload_2018-8-7_1-35-0.png
    Poor old Cliff, his very dead nemesis sentenced him to rot in jail. But Christopher doesn't care how he got there.
    "You murdered my unborn babies!" Yeah, he did that.

2. Elena visits Cliff Barnes in prison - Dallas
    upload_2018-8-7_1-48-53.png
    Of course, rotting in jail doesn't mean that the plotting and scheming comes to a halt.
    "Make the Ewings pay for their sins"

3. Miles thinks he may have dunit - The Colbys
    upload_2018-8-7_1-54-49.png
    A seemingly ordinary scene, but played to the hilt with that characteristic The Colbys melodrama makes it so much more than that.

4. Chance McKenzie helps an old prison buddy to escape so he can visit his son before he dies - The Yellow Rose
    upload_2018-8-7_2-4-6.png
    But I don't think it would have worked without Cybill Shepherd's improvisation.

5. If you can't stand the heat....- Falcon Crest
    upload_2018-8-7_2-6-46.png
    Tuscany's lowlifes don't take kindly to heiresses with an attitude. Good!

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 4
  6. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,003
    1. Knots Landing's Val talking some sense to Gary during his "unfortunate incarceration" for the murder of Ciji Dunne.

2. KL's Lilimae visits Chip in jail and begs him to "do the right thing" by confessing, but he just mocks her, causing her to "do what needed to be done."

3. FC's Julia getting roughed up in prison.

4. KL's Frank Williams threatens to kill Danny the minute he (Danny) gets out on bail.

5. Dynasty's Alexis arrested the night of Fallon's accident.

(edit: correcting the format nightmare...)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 7
  7. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,235
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Voilà my choices:

1- Jenna in prison ("Dallas") (too brief and too nice-lit but...)

[​IMG]
    Die Jenna die...!
    2- Julia Cumson ("Falcon Crest") (Especially the scenes with Angela showing up!)

[​IMG]
    "Mamma Mia... now I really know
    My my, I could never let you go..."
    3- Ray Krebbs ("Dallas") (For mercy-killing Mickey Trotter; I just love Donna´s looks when they are sitting face to face)

upload_2018-8-7_19-25-31.jpeg
    "Please Donna make somebody feed the cows..."
    4- Caress Morell ("Dignisty", aka the "Dynasty" with dignity...)

[​IMG]
    "Episode nº 23.745: "The Trial". And then my little sister got into trouble again when she shoplifted a sample of that "Moi" parfum...and she was arrested..."

5- Cliff Barnes (TNT "Dallas") (Left to rot in prison by his daughter PamBecca...so missed you both!!!)​

[​IMG]

"Don´t worry Daddy. Cancelation is in the air...
    and you´ll stay here in the limbo forever!"​

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 3
  8. Victoriafan3

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    1. It has to be Jenna from Dallas in prison. I’ve said enough on this. But I can still say more ;-) I don’t know whether to cheer she’s out the picture so Pam and Bobby can reunite at last or to laugh at how badly done it was or just go ‘ugh’ for taking up so much air time and potentially hurting my eyes watching it.

2. Sue Ellen in the drunk tank, screaming like a Banshee and shaking her head like she was in the exorcist. Linda was Amazing throughout this story! This had me riveted, taking the show to a new depth of rawness. Excellent!

3. Sue Ellen in that black and white dress getting her mug shot for ‘shooting’ JR

4. Alexis in the red dress, camp to the hilt, on the night of Fallons disappearance. How very, what’s the word?, Dynasty

5. Donna visiting Ray after he released Mickey’s life. Through that pane of glass on the phone. Awww

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  9. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    Guys, just so you know, it's a battle of prison scenes, not story lines, so I can only include your vote if you pick a specific scene. Just in case you want to amend your lists.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Victoriafan3

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    Ok @Richard Channing. Will fine tune. Let’s join forces @Toni

I will pick whatever Jenna scene Toni deems most suitable

Maybe the one where she was locked up for having such a whiney daughter. Jenna’s potential arrestable offences could have a whole list of their own ;-)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,656
    1. JR visits Ray in jail to rub some salt in - and get his shares

[​IMG]

2. Sue Ellen gets her mug shot taken

[​IMG]

3. Alexis and her deserved walk to a jail cell

4. Donna visits Ray in jail (Mickey Trotter assisted suicide)

[​IMG]

5. Pamela Rebecca visits daddy dearest Cliff in jail

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  12. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,140
    1. Jenna in prison. (Dallas)
    The scene where she sets Bobby free.

2. Val visits Gary in prison after Cijis murder. (Knots Landing)

3. Donna visits Ray in prison after he is arrested for Mickeys death. (Dallas)

4. Sue Ellen in the drunk tank.(Dallas)

5. Alexis is arrested in the red gown. (Dynasty)

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,235
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I choose the scene with jailbird Jenna (already sporting a brand new, clean, short haircut by courtesy of Mr. David´s social service...) asking Bobby not to visit her again so he can marry his one and 0nly love, the Goddess aka you-know-who. The scene belongs to "Terms of Estrangement" and, in my own version of "Dallas", this would be the very last time we see the likes of Whisperilla Presley, sent to the Soap hell of women prisons, where I like to think she is welcome by Jenna´s two other incarnations (Morgan Fairchild and Francine Tacker) in an act of poetic justice. Imagine three whole seasons without enduring Prissy´s "magnetic presence", "strong acting", "method approach" (*cough* *cough*...).
    [​IMG]
    "See ya at "The Dark Knight" Bobster..."

• Funny Funny x 4
  14. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,658
    1. Lilimae talks to Chip
    Knots Landing

Julie Harris's stage background shines through in a wonderful two minute monologue beginning at the five minute mark:

2. Verbose Val gives Gaolbird Gary some home truths
    Knots Landing

[​IMG]

3. Alexis Arrested (a.k.a. Red Is The New Orange)
    Dynasty

[​IMG]

4. Blake barks the orders
    Dynasty

[​IMG]

5. Sue Ellen Secured
    Dallas

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,882
    :crazy:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Victoriafan3

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    It would be so funny if Jenna won this. I wonder what other categories she could win? Most multiple headed character? I mean several soap characters have been two faced but to have a change of head three times, well that’s just plain greedy ;-)

What about the character with the most obnoxious child? Or the character who most outstayed their welcome in a show by at least 2-3 seasons ;-) she’d be a shoo in :0)

I’m so bad, sorry ;-)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,038
    1) Alexis is brought to her cell: 'Dolled up to the nines', coming from her daughter's wedding and there is no pond or mud in sight. What about the caviar, egg's benedict and pate now for the N.o. 1 citizen from Denver Colorado - DYNASTY.
    2) Julia gets roughed up by the inmates: If Julia was insane prior to the clinker then she notched it up another level when visitors came. A warden who she went to school with watches with pleasure when the ex wine chemist gets a hard time from some prisoners - FALCON CREST.
    3) Sue Ellen in the horrors of drink: Superbly acted by Linda Gray we watch on as Sue Ellen gets hysterical, from the horrors of drink. Very well done indeed - DALLAS.
    4) A change of surroundings for Richard: His past finally caught up with him but it didn't stop Richard from blackmailing Michael Sharpe, during a prison visit. He threatened to implicate the stocks and shares wizard, if five million dollars didn't come his way - FALCON CREST.
    5) Jenna's first scene locked up, over Naldo's murder: The realisation that she would be facing a stretch over Renaldo Marchetta's murder was IMHO one of Priscilla's better scenes. While her co-stars had the upper hand in the acting stakes she tried her best - DALLAS.

Julia is now in prison and is behaving rather erratically. Angela visits her, (a scene from season 3, 1983 - '84):

Angela: "Julia, how are you darling?"

Julia: "The food is cold, the cells are hot and this place stinks to high humanity. How the hell do you think I am?"

• Like Like x 6
  18. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    She may well win! She's doing pretty good so far.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  19. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,642
    1. Melissa visits Julia in prison to persuade her to request the death penalty for Carlo's murder. FALCON CREST
    2. JR visits Ray in prison and gets him to sign over his Ewing Oil voting rights. DALLAS
    3. Val visits Gary in prison. KNOTS LANDING
    4. Sue Ellen in jail withdrawing from alcohol and an inmate screams in her face. DALLAS
    5. The inmates rough up Julia in prison. FALCON CREST

• Like Like x 2
  20. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    Today is the last day to vote for your favourite prison scenes.