The PSA-esque episodes of Knots Landing...

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by tommie, May 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    ... like this episode in season 12 where they talk about not hitting your child.

They're the absolute worst.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    "Take me someplace else" is still a very moving scene to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +649
    Those are otherwise known as "very special episodes," and I'm behind you on that one 100%!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    It's very hard to slip these sorts of episodes (or group of episodes) into a series that doesn't do them regularly. I think the producers thought they ought to be more "socially relevant" as a replacement for the glitz and glamor that obviously was falling out of favor. There might also have been a wish that doing such episodes might get them some attention in awards season. The Emmy voters typically prefer such stand-alone episodes--even sitcoms lapse into "VSE's" as Emmy bait, and they're supposed to be funny. KL never did get much love from the Emmys, so maybe they thought this approach might change that. Since producers are supposed to submit one or two episodes for award consideration, it's easier for voting panels to understand episodes that can stand alone rather than episodes that are taken from the middle of multi-episode stories where they don't know what's going on.

When viewed originally (that is, one episode per week, with occasional pre-emptions dragging it out further), the Jason Lochner story wasn't as "obvious" in its attempt to hit you over the head, but it was still rather clumsy because the character did not seem to be planned beyond his introduction story. After his problematic home life was exposed and dealt with, he...just sort of went into neutral. Since we tend to watch the series in batches of episodes these days, the compression of time does not do such stories any favors.

The unremarkable way Thomas Wilson Brown was written out and Jason never mentioned again also gives his story a sort of pointlessness, since his interactions with Kevin Dobson (and to a lesser extent with Michele Lee) made you think they were setting him up to become a permanent part of the MacKenzie household. But as we saw, there was not much for him to do if he did stay. I recall they kept coming up with ways to get him beaten up, as if they enjoyed his portrayal of a punching bag.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    There was the start of a relationship with Julie which might have gone somewhere if the whole Williams family hadn't been treated so shabbily.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Soaplover

Soaplover Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Season 1 and 2 were the king of PSA episodes... the ERA episode where Diana/Karen did the put on a happy face number in mime paint... the biker invading the beach episode? Why the show thought going back to that again in season 12/13 would work baffles me.... they should have looked at season 4 as a model of how to do a scaled down continuing drama when trying to adapt the show to the early 90s.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Usually all of the PSA episodes have Michele Lee mugging for the camera....

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Ewingjee

Ewingjee Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Well, yes--Michelle Lee is the Alan Alda of soap operas, right?

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +649
    That fourth go (1982-83) had some really good stories, didn't it?