The Ratings Thread

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by Carrie Fairchild, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +630
    The ratings have been mentioned (and much debated) in some of the other threads so I'm going to throw together all of the ratings info for each week and discuss it here.

Straight out of the gate, the show is very unlikely to be cancelled this season, so it may seem a bit redundant to be discussing ratings but I find the business behind TV shows to be interesting, so here we are.

Regarding the show being renewed, here's CBS head Les Moonves discussing the show.

“A great recent example of the power of owning content is the new version of Dynasty that will premiere this fall on The CW. We own 100 percent of the show, and we’ve already licensed it to Netflix in 188 countries. … So this means ‘Dynasty’ is profitable before it even hits the air.”

So according to TV By The Numbers, unless Dynasty's CW ratings fall to basically nothing, the show is a sure thing to be renewed.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/re...he-cw-week-3-dynastys-slow-start-wont-matter/

EPISODE 1 - 11/10/17
    The premiere episode last week scored 1.335 million viewers, #15; adults 18-49: 0.4, #15. Compared to Frequency which aired in the same timeslot last year, that is a ratings increase of 33.33%. However, Dynasty was still the bottom of the pile out of the 15 network shows that aired that night.

EPISODE 2 - 18/10/17
    This week's episode scored 0.979 million viewers, #15; adults 18-49: 0.3, #15. So it lost 25% of it's audience from last week and was 25% lower than the ratings for Frequency in the same timeslot last year. Like last week, it also finished bottom of the pile out of the 15 network shows aired.

So overall, it's network ratings aren't exactly glittering but it is likely to last as it's being propped up by the Netflix deal. Also, as mentioned elsewhere, Riverdale, Crazy Ex Girlfriend and Jane The Virgin are other CW shows with less than stellar ratings that are currently enjoying second, third and fourth seasons because the parameters for measuring a TV hit vs TV flop have changed dramatically in recent years.

2. tommie

tommie Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,410
    Original Member Since:
    I dunno
    Well, the ratings are absolute shit. It's basically a step above Valor, but the difference is Dynasty is already making them money.

The question is - will anything else but Dynasty make them more money?

3. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +755
    I think that we (and they) will need to see at least 6 episodes to see ratings trends--are they going up, will they keep sliding? If they stay at that level, they may get another year. If they slide further, the producers are probably going to be asked to wrap up the storylines. Or have Alexis dive off a balcony and Blake shot in the stairs, in true DYNASTY fashion.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,410
    Original Member Since:
    I dunno
    Realistically, they would need until the end of November before deciding anything.

Not because it's a magic number, but 13 episode shows normally wrap around mid-December and the writers room will have closed before then. If we don't hear anything before then... well, not good news.

5. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +630
    The interesting thing is that the decision will ultimately be made by Netflix. Which is similar to how the fate of Aussie soap Neighbours lies in the hands of Channel 5 in the UK rather than Eleven in Australia.

With Netflix not releasing figures, it's a guessing game really. Are the streaming figures on Netflix as similarly underwhelming as the viewing figures on the CW? How long will Netflix hang around before pulling out? This type of deal is pretty new so it's unchartered territory for the companies involved and for viewers who like to play the cancel / renew guessing game.

6. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Original Member Since:
    Yes Netflix and time shifted viewing will be very important. If they get enough of a boost with the Live+3 ratings, plus Netflix internationally the show will be fine, then hopefully when it hits netflix in the US that'll give season two a boost like it did Riverdale.

7. Soapwriter12

Soapwriter12 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +252
    • Informative Informative x 3
  8. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +755
    nuDYNASTY keeps breaking the bottom of the barrel for ratings. November will be interesting for sure.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +630
    EPISODE 3 - 25/10/17
    This week scored 0.726 million viewers, #14; adults 18-49: 0.2, #14. This was down 33.33% from last week's audience and down 33.33% from the CW show that aired in the same timeslot last year.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/ratin...s-game-2-to-victory-98301/broadcast_20171025/

So Dynasty was at the bottom of the ratings pile for network programmes again last night. At a glance, I think it may actually be the lowest rated new scripted series on any broadcast network this Fall. Not that any of this seems to matter right now. If you have a look at Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, it has been in the ratings basement from day one and it's still here, entering it's third season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Crazy_Ex-Girlfriend_episodes#Season_1_.282015.E2.80.9316.29_2

10. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Original Member Since:
    The show is improving so I just hope they keep it on long enough to build a cult following. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend got renewed averaging half a million viewers seasons 2 and 3. You can't judge off regular ratings. It's just a wait and see which kinda sucks because you don't know if you should get invested in a show now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +630
    Yeah there's so many different variables these days like DVR viewings, time shifted viewings and Netflix deals. Overnights are only a general guide now.

The thing with Crazy Ex Girlfriend is that it garnered critical acclaim and won the CW an elusive Golden Globe so I'd say this lead, in part, to them keeping the show on air.

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  12. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I give it one more episode...if it's the lowest rated series of the night and has below 1 million, I doubt we will see it be a long running series.

At this rate it doesn't deserve more than 13 episodes in season 1. It doesn't deserve then six 9 or "additional episodes". It's slowly getting things right but the viewers just aren't there. Cancel a show on another network w higher ratings same night this airs and this remains? That would be pathetic if it happened.

Netflix wouldn't even give Girl Meets World more seasons, yet allowed the 3 seasons to be on there.

13. MarkSinacori

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Unless viewership is high on Netflix then I'd understand...

14. MarkSinacori

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +100
    13 episodes. That's all I'd give season 1. No back 9 or additional eps.

15. MarkSinacori

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Yes, I doubt we get the back 9. A bad sign is "a few more additional eps."

16. MarkSinacori

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +100

Improving in all areas except ratings.

17. MarkSinacori

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Who will play Alexis and when will she show up? My guess is episode 13. Will that be enough to bring ratings up? My guess, Alexis will be some actress that everyone knows. Someone who was on nighttime soaps.

18. MarkSinacori

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +100
    The Colby's! And that actor who plays Jeff is awful!

19. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,410
    Original Member Since:
    I dunno
    Not really, Crazy Ex got five additional episodes in season 1 and iZombie got six additional episodes in season 2.

The thing is, The CW has 15 shows to fit in this seasons and they only program 10 hours per week. Crazy Ex is limited to 13 episodes per season at this point (because the ratings suck, but they like to keep it going), Jane the Virgin and Legends of Tomorrow are at 17, Arrow, Supergirl, The Flash, Riverdale and Supernatural all have 22/23 episodes. Valor and Dynasty currently have 13 episodes I guess (Dynasty is a bit vague ever since that tweet from Sallie) with the option for more if they'd like.

Then you have The 100, The Originals (final season), iZombie, Black Lightning and Life Unexpected coming in somewhere in the midseason with 13 episodes each.

20. MarkSinacori

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +100

I've just seen the "additional episodes" be cancellation for sure. They did it with Titans in 2000. They did it with Melrose Place in 2010. North Shore in 2004 cut back from 22 to 21. So that also was a sign of a show more getting cancelled than renewed. Anything 22 or additional after that, always a sing of more renewal.