The Ratings Thread

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by Carrie Fairchild, Oct 22, 2017.

1. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,100
    The CW really doesn't have that business model anymore. I don't think you can apply "how things used to work" or even how current networks work on them. They're a bit of an odd one because it's a Warner/CBS partnership (with all shows on the network owned by either or both of them), hence why something like Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is now in its third season. Add that they have to program 15 shows in a season with a 10 hour schedule per week, so some shows inevitably get shorter runs. In fact, before they struck their Netflix deal(s), they were making a loss on the network, so ever since they got it they pretty much changed their business model.

You also can't say "a show on another network is doing better and got cancelled so Dynasty should be too" because that's not really how any network operates.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Oh, it's very odd! If I were to pitch a show, that's the last place, last place I would pitch it at. First places would be Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, whatever online sites...they allow for producers to do whatever. If they want long intros, they got them! Like Fuller House. It satisfied so many, many original fans. Had ABC picked it up, we would probably not get an opening. Ratings are so low now on all the main networks. CW ruined Melrose Place and then 90210. I can't say a lot about 90210 because I didn't watch really, but the fans of the original were upset, and the intro should have at least had what Dynasty has done in it's short few seconds to show the cast names and the cast.

It's very odd how things go these days!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MarkSinacori

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +121
    This re-boot is actually pretty good. The pilot was not the best. But the last 2 episodes have been good! By now though, it would have been yanked with under 1 mil.

4. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,100
    I guess it depends on how you see it - with declining live ratings there's so many more factors that networks look into when renewing shows these days; before you could almost draw a line where a network would find a show renewable based on ratings alone because ad rates for the live airings would basically be the only income. Now they factor in things like streaming, overseas sales, if the show can be run on a smaller budget and so on. Ownership of a show, for example is extremely important these days.

But on the other hand it is run the same way - as a business, they want to make profit, it's just that live ratings isn't always necessarily where they make their main profit anymore.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  5. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +849
    EPISODE 4 - 01/11/17

This week saw an increase of nearly 400,000 on last week - 0.764 million viewers, #14; adults 18-49: 0.2, #14.

To give an overall look of how it's rating, last week Dynasty was 79th out of 82 shows. The shows below it were also CW shows, two of which are in their second and third seasons.

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/2017-18-tv-show-season-ratings-week-5/

• Like Like x 1
  6. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,100
    Jane is in it's fourth season. Crazy Ex is in its third.

If Dynasty is renewed then I imagine that The CW will drag it to four seasons kicking and screaming. That's their recent tendency even with low-rated show.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  7. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,016
    But these ratings are even more horrible than Dallas TNT. So how come that was cancelled and this show gets to go on? :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,100
    Because you can't compare one networks ratings with another. Well, you can, but it would be horribly inaccurate. At the time, Dallas was at the bottom of TNTs ratings, so it wasn't a hard call for them to make.

In NuDynasty... well, it will be deterimined from what Netflix brings up. The live ratings are shit and I doubt anyone can contest that.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,144
    Also, nuDALLAS had the opportunity to drop like a rock. While nuDYNASTY started out in the basement from the very beginning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,209
    As it's almost worldwide on Netflix, these CW ratings mean practically nothing, because we don't know how it's doing in the rest of the world, as Netflix never releases numbers.
    Take Baywatch for example, which was a massive flop in the US at the time but highly watched in Europe and lasted 11 seasons and even got a spinoff, despite uttely bad US-ratings.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +849
    It's survival really depends more on how it's doing on Netflix rather than on the CW. And as Matthew Blaisdel said, we've no idea how it's doing on Netflix because they don't release their numbers. Basically, if it under performs on Netflix and they look for a cheaper deal to carry further seasons or pull out altogether then the show is likely screwed. I've compared it before to the relationship between British network Channel Five and soap Neighbours. It doesn't rate well in it's native Australia where it was moved to a minority digital channel in recent years but it rates well in the UK so Channel Five are propping it up with the deal they have to broadcast the show. If Channel Five ever drop the show (unlikely in the near future) then Neighbours will be toast.

12. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +849
    If only the producers of Models Inc had paid more attention to the European audience, we could have had 11 seasons of that show too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +112
    With Riverdale the sale to Netflix is what made it profitable before it aired. The ratings were horrific much like Dynasty. What REALLY helped them is as soon as the season finale aired they added the show to Netflix which allowed people to binge over the summer which is why the show is doing so well now. Of course there's no guarantee even that would help Dynasty. It's literally just wait and see. I don't even think we have the delayed viewing info to see if they're getting a DVR boost.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,306
    Riverdale's first season was nothing like fauxDYNASTY. Despite minor mishaps they had a solid slowly unfolding engrossing narrative. The CW mess has no sense of story, character, or style. They are just ruining an IP and proving once again how Esther Shapiro is a terrible sell-out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. MarkSinacori

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +121

Models Inc. was the strongest of all the one season shows I watched that had that Melrose Place feel. It did indeed deserve a 2nd season! Plus, remember, back then they filmed like 30+ episodes per season for shows! They should release it on DVD, I have no idea why they haven't yet! They should release it and also have a special bonus disc for the "closing finale".

16. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Considering some of the one season wonders that I've seen released on DVD, it is a surprise that more of the short lived Spelling soaps were never released.

At least with Models Inc and Savannah, there are decent enough uploads online. I long for a better quality version of Central Park West to make an appearance. The only uploads available are a VHS rip and they're pretty rough and ready. Better than nothing I suppose.

17. MarkSinacori

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +121

Models Inc. 1994-1995
    Pacific Palisades 1997
    Titans 2000

Those 3 I'd like to see releases

18. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +849
    EPISODE 5 - 08/11/17

Dynasty held steady-ish this week, only shedding a few viewers from last week's overnights - 0.722 million viewers, #11; adults 18-49: 0.2, #11.

19. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,144
    All of whom post here.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +849
    EPISODE 6 - 15/11/17

The overnights for this week's episode show a decrease of roughly 70k on last week's figures with the show finishing at the bottom of the network pile again.

0.655 million viewers, #15; adults 18-49: 0.2, #15

I'd post the DVR ratings here too only they're hard enough to come by for Dynasty because they usually only list the top 25 shows. To give you an idea though, the Hollywood Reporter mentioned that it's averaging 1.3 million viewers when you combine overnights and 3 days of DVR.

• Like Like x 1