The Ratings Thread

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by Carrie Fairchild, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Willie O! Tannenbaum drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,907
    Although he usually wasn't a man of many words.

2. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +167
    He knows the full picture, streaming numbers, live numbers, DVR playback and he’d also know the stats for Netflix. The show would’ve been a 13 and done or gotten a shortened order if it was done. Again, renewal now seems like a long shot, but there is a small chance Nicolette could turn things around depending on if it’s promoted. It’s still a long ways away though, which is unfortunate.

My thing is, it’s not uncommon for soaps to have turnarounds. It happens for Knots, Dynasty, Melrose Place it recently Riverdale. It’s possible.

3. RottenSkipper17

RottenSkipper17 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +126
    It might not be uncommon but it doesn't mean it will actually happen. The odds are pretty low for Dynasty (almost impossible in my opinion) and the CW's decision to bring in Nicollette Sheridan might end up backfiring on them if it turns out that she might no longer have the star power that she used to have.

It probably would have been better to bring in a huge T.V. star that has proven themselves to bring in huge ratings (ala Stana Katic or Taraji P. Henson) versus someone that hasn't really done anything significant in years. Yes it would mean that everyone else might end up being overshadowed but at least Dynasty would have a big solid name to help improve ratings. Maybe at the very least it'll force the rest of the cast to improve their acting game.

Also I think the CW president more or less implied that if Alexis's arrival doesn't help improve ratings then it's pretty much game over for Dynasty. That and the fact that Dynasty got moved to a new time slot is a sign of the network making a last ditch attempt to save the show.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Willie O! Tannenbaum drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,907
    Who??

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. RottenSkipper17

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +126
    @Willie Oleson Stana Katic was the main female lead in the T.V. show Castle with Nathan Fillion until she got canned towards the show's end and that's what ultimately led to its cancellation. Taraji P. Henson is Cookie Lyon from the T.V. show Empire and she just released her own movie"Proud Mary" a couple of weeks ago. I thought most people knew about them.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Edie70

Edie70 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Taraji P. Henson and Stana Katic are not exactly TV superstars. They were two working actresses who got lucky with leading parts on two shows that used to be popular hits for a few years. They are both on their way to the "Land of Obscurity". Simple facts of television life for every actor and actress, there's an expiration date on everything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. AndyLaird

AndyLaird Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I struggle with this too. Do you have to subscribe to the trades (Variety? Hollywood Reporter?) to get regular weekly updates? Or are they not even there and only Nielsen clients get them directly?

8. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,673
    Concerning my earlier post - I see I overlooked the fact that the show already bottomed out in the demo back in November (0.17) and it's actually a tad stronger now (0.20), despite a significant loss among total viewers (which is what I freaked out about).

If Dynasty can continue this trend in the weeks ahead, back into the mid 0.20s and then perhaps even exceed that after Nicolette joins the show, then that would indicate there is life left in it and I bet they would renew it then. It's on life support for now and it really needs to keep going up, but maybe my pessimism was premature.

Season-to-date it is averaging a 0.21 putting on a par with the effectively cancelled Valor and at the very bottom of the CW ratings. Which is bad. But an upward trend would indicate there's potential for improvement and hopefully save the show.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. RottenSkipper17

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +126
    I can't see how they can increase ratings at this point. It seems like the writers are trying everything possible, including having Fallon kidnapped, and nothing's working.

I predict that ratings will continue dropping and dropping until the CW decides enough is enough and they choose to cancel before the season is even over. I'll bet you most likely we're going to hear news that Dynasty's cancelled for good right before May at the latest.

10. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,592
    I guess so too. It's only available on Netflix in very few countries (yet) and in Germany it will be available there in February, so i guess one season will be it.
    No huge loss though, i won't shed any tears.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +167
    The show is doing ok in the demo though and results on Friday aren’t expected to be as high. As I’ve mentioned before, Crazy Ex-girlfriend is about to be renewed for season four and the past two seasons are ranked between 500,000-600,000 views per episode. That’s why I say it’s premature to say Dynasty is done. We still don’t know how ratings will fair on fridays and if it’ll be enough to save it. We still don’t even know if they’ll promote Alexis or the timeslot move. That’ll be the test.

For all we know if they score 600,000 viewers and hold in the demo it might be enough to keep the show around on Friday’s with the Netflix deal etc.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +124
    The finale should send the Colby's over a cliff and Michael and Fallon get together again after he breaks up with Monica. That's how I'd end season 1. Just kill the trio off of Monica, Jeff and Cesil after say, Cecil breaks out of prison or something and wants to kill Blake... Jeff loves the idea but Monica hates it and she struggles with her father and the car crashes or something they are in. That's how it should end. No big loss with the family gone, renewal or not.

13. RottenSkipper17

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +126
    @MarkSinacori You're probably going to get your wish regarding Monica & Michael. I suspect within the next two episodes they might actually break up, especially since in the extended promo there's a shot of Monica slapping someone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,592
  15. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Netflix better tell them behind the scenes "Come up with a proper ending". Let's hope they do that. But the ending I would like to see, even if we don't get a 2nd season, is the death of the Colby family! Blake already accepted Michael with Fallon.

16. The holiday Whore

The holiday Whore Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,766
    I mean it was one episode of comedy lead nonsense. It wasn't exactly gripping stuff.

17. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,180
    EPISODE 12 - 31/01/18

Overnights up 80k on last week.

0.641 million viewers, #15; adults 18-49: 0.2, #15

18. RottenSkipper17

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Wow so the ratings actually went up this week?

Hmmm... I wonder if it was because of Rick Heart & Kelly Rutherford making an appearance?

19. Dalek Avery

Dalek Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,643
    I highly doubt that. Perhaps there were reruns playing elsewhere in the time slot, or something drove viewers away from what the others were offering. A true cynic might say that the numbers are so low already, that the changes could be attributed to a rounding error.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. RottenSkipper17

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +126
    I was only half-joking. Something tells me that this is probably just a fluke and the ratings will most likely drop yet again next week before the brief Winter Olympics hiatus.

• Like Like x 2