The Real Jason Colby

Discussion in 'The Colbys' started by Grant Jennings, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +883
    Viewers of "The Colbys" were led to believe that Jason was a powerful, intelligent and successful businessman - a "titan of industry" (even the crossover episode on "Dynasty" was titled "The Titans"). Jason was supposed to be "The Colbys" version of Blake just as Sable was supposed to be its version of Alexis and Frankie was supposed to be Krystle. We've all come to reevaluate Sable and Frankie, I think we need to do the same with Jason.

Blake built Denver Carrington from the ground up. Tom Carrington may have died a multi-millionaire but I was always of the impression that Tom had nothing to do with Denver Carrington and that Blake had nothing but his own money and probably a G.I. loan to put himself through school and build his empire. By contrast, Jason inherited Colby Enterprises from his father, Andrew. Andrew's own father had to have been successful too, it was he who built the Colby's mansion, Belvedere. Jason had big sister Connie guiding him through life - even when he was a husband, father and president and CEO of Colby Enterprises.

Jason let a doctor's misdiagnosis rattle him into a mid-life crisis. Jason allowed the passive-aggressive Frankie to manipulate him. Jason chose the much married and negligent parent Frankie over devoted wife and mother Sable. Jason idly stood by while his sister, Connie, decided that Jeff (who had virtually no contact with his family up until then) should be the "heir apparent" over Jason's own children.

In hindsight, I believe Jason was someone who was easily manipulated and would not have been as successful as he was if he had not been born into wealth.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,349
    Medals:
    Yes Jason was the type of guy that visits dominatrix prostitutes on business trips to London and cleans her filthy bathroom on his hands and knees wearing a Frenchmaids outfit with pegs on his nipples. It's all so very clear now.
    He loves being told what to do, and if it's by a hard old tart all the better.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +19,683
    Medals:
    The only reason I can think of is that they wrote Sable as the clingy wife, who was actually the show's mover & shaker. It would have been very difficult to do this with a strong patriarch type like "Blake Carrington Season 1".
    I guess the same goes for Alexis, although Blake usually appeared much more tyrannical than Jason.

Constance wanted to rule the roost, and Sable challenged her. As a result, Titan Jason was written as the victimized brother, the show's Romantic Past (he and Frankie) and the father who couldn't control his son.
    The very idea that he would almost give up everything just to be with the woman he loved is what made that story convincing. It really doesn't matter what kind of person Francesca was, it's what she meant to him.

Say about The Colbys what you like, but it sure wasn't a cookie-cutter soap!

• Like Like x 3
  4. AndyLaird

AndyLaird Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I always thought Jason and Blake were too similar as characters, so this thread has opened my mind to the fact that they were different in some ways.

It's a real shame they didn't properly finish Jason's story in season 9 of Dynasty, they should have paid Charlton Heston whatever he wanted to guest star in an episode or two.

Or, more realistically, just recast the role - it's not as if it would be the first time :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +4,752
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    :rolling::rolling::rolling:

• Like Like x 1