1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nuDynasty News The reboot of... (Spoiler)

Discussion in 'CW Dynasty' started by thomaswak, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,238

Alright. I didn't hate it. It could have been better, but for what it was, I liked it.

And this is coming from me, who gave up on this show looooooooong ago and haven't viewed a single episode since the first one of this season.

I would like to comment on how strikingly similar Cristal#3's facial features are to Linda Evans. Plus, I definitely prefer Elaine Hendrix as Alexis than Nicollette Sheridan. Plus, the dynamics behind this scene are pretty good: Cristal now knows the truth, but bringing Alexis to justice would also mean trouble for Blake... and the way how Cristal looks at her blissfully unaware hubby in the final shot... I love it. :D

Sigh, if only we had *this* Cristal from the start, and *this* Alexis from the start... what a buildup that all would have been...

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,571
    There is no denying Dynasty might be on my binge watch viewing when Netflix finally release it. Until then I won't judge too harshly.

3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 17 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,172
    Blake's party looks good, but NuDynasty's always been generous with the confetti.
    The rest of the video resulted in a blank stare.

4. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 19 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,547
    I still have to wonder just why Blake wanted so badly to get back into this yachting society he apparently used to be in. He has never expressed any sort of love for boating before, and how could he have developed yachting as a hobby when he grew up four hours from the nearest ocean? I guess this is yet another "insta-hobby" like his sudden decision to buy a soccer team. Maybe they want us to believe he's got the attention span of a butterfly.

5. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,544
    Maybe they're setting up so that they have an excuse to get the Carringtons out on international waters for the season finale.

6. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,571
    And instead of being kidnapped by aliens the Carrington family will be taken hostage by pirates.

7. tommie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,544
    Well, Steven is what we'd call a "butt pirate", no? Maybe he'll have joined the pirates on the open sea and that's what's become of him since Adam left him in France...

Basically re-creating the Matthew is back cliffhanger from season 7, but on a boat :lol:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  8. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,547
    I just have this image of him standing on the deck, staring out onto the horizon while wearing a Horatio Nelson hat....while the yacht attempts to navigate Lake Lanier and runs aground. Sam and Anders are frantically tossing luggage overboard while C3 is releasing lifeboats full of staff, and Fallon is singing "My Heart Will Go On" while wearing a Prada life jacket.

9. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 9 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,219
    So I watched the video of the lily pond redux, and I have to say I was underwhelmed. Alexis running/fluttering in those heels and that music mitigated the urgency of the situation for me. It seemed as if they were fighting over who has the cuter boyfriend instead of murder/unrepentant attempted murder/miscarriage/two innocent people dead.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,196
    I just cant come on board with this because there have been 3 Cristal's and 3 Alexis' already. Including Fallexis! If the original show had recast the original leads in this way it is not a show I would have watched all the way through. And then again many, many times after.
    It's like they have taken the awfulness of the DYNASTY sibling recasts and made that their theme for the show. Making it bigger than it was before. Which is entirely wrong-headed. When I watch a soap like this there has to be some thread of reality. I mean believe me, it's often times a very thin, fragile almost non-existent thread but it has to be there or I just leave. This show hasn't got that. I cant take anything at all seriously and so it's not fun. Nothing these characters do has any effect on me. It doesn't make me feel anything. I mean.... Adam pushed his mothers face in a burning fireplace and what happened? We got some comedy episodes out of it, Fallon as Alexis and then another Alexis.

I... I just cant.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,917
    Yeah, the Gillieathon is pure pantomime. They made all actions have no consequences, so as a result it is an inconsequential hour. But they are trying to have some narrative cohesion lately, which is a big improvement over the previous seasons' awfulness.

12. tommie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,544
    If the original had recasted Alexis when Joan was being difficult during the season six premiere (using the excuse that her face had been blown off) it might've still been on the air today!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. Michael Torrance

Threads:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,917
    Or it could have been cancelled by episode four of that season! Imagine the consequences:
    No COLBYS (ergo no Frankie also)
    No Rita switcheroo
    No Sarah Curtis

Huh. I guess there is a silver lining in every cloud after all.

14. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 10 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +882
    Yes. I have made my peace with the idea what this Dynasty is. Especially as it seems they're trying to do something more coherent this year. The writing is not stellar but is better. I enjoy this season so far.

15. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,196
    It would never had made it to 9 seasons without Joan... Think what you may.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,547
    I think this show has just had a series of unfortunate casting situations that mostly could not be avoided. Yes, they fired Nathalie Kelley and James Mackay, but they had no way of knowing Ana-Brenda's health would deteriorate from being overworked and burned out. What could they do? Force her to continue working until she ended up in the hospital or something? They also had no idea Nicollette Sheridan's mother would contract cancer, and that NS would choose to return to LA to be with her rather than just wish her well from across the country. Again, they could have held her to her contract but decided instead to be compassionate human beings. The temporary recast of Alexis as played by Liz Gillies strikes me as an audacious attempt at creating some buzz, and wasn't conceived to be a permanent thing; a producer even said in an interview that this was a stop-gap measure to buy some time as they continued the audition process. I understand a lot of people felt their intelligence was insulted by the move, but I saw it as the publicity stunt that it was.

And yes, I hear your whispers in the background about the NS and A-BC stories being PR creations, but I'm choosing to believe what they said about the actresses' situations.

They've just had a peculiarly bad streak of luck with those two characters. The character of Steven may very well be another victim of the situation, with the show afraid to bring in a new Steven (a character sorely needed) when his re-introduction would only be overshadowed by more "Oh, not another recast!" criticism.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. tommie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,544
    I mean, even if they did leave for other reasons than stated, the producers choice were basically to hold them to their contracts and possibly have a miserable set or let them go either way you look at it. I haven't seen any of Daniella's interviews, but Elaine at least seems very enthusiastic about being there, even pointing things like the necessity of a hat in the lily pond scene. If they're going to shoot a low-rated show for a few seasons that's mostly done as Netflix fodder they might as well have a set where people are happy with being there and not completely miserable - health or otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 17 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,172
    And combined with the impostors and identity changes (Carrington->Anders, Colby->Carrington) it's all a bit too much.

NuDynasty's "anything goes" attitude is partially exciting because it borders on parody and dark humour - and head in the fireplace/interim Alexis are great examples of that - but it rarely reaches those heights. And in this case it was a matter of improvisation because of that unfortunate casting situation.

Looking at the lily pond remake, well it's nice that they combined the water-themed sequences, and there's nothing wrong with the physical fight itself, but it's not a Wow! moment.
    I would have liked to see an alternative and more shocking version, like they did with the shooting of Mark Jennings. That was great.

19. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,030
    No, not really.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Michael Torrance

Threads:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,917
    They cast a great guy to play Mark Jennings and gave him more substance than DYNASTY did in two years. And then, in typical Gillieathon hour, they eliminated him at the end of the episode.
    But yes, that sequence was quite a brilliant original. Clearly the team was operating under some weird creative 24-hour virus. They seem to have since been inoculated.