1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. SoapLand The Final Battle

How Will It End?

Dismiss Notice

SoapLand - The Battle Of The Recasts - The Results

Discussion in 'SoapLand - The Battles' started by Willie Oleson, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +24,229
    Medals:
    Yes, that was also part of the experience, therefore it has to be done.
    If you can't think of 5 favourites then you could also consider those who were the least damaging or disappointing.
    All characters are eligible, it doesn't matter how big or small the role is.

Cast changes after un-aired pilot episodes are not eligible.

Good luck (and stay calm!)

upload_2019-8-26_19-0-47.png

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator EXP: 11 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,443
    Medals:

"Damn you..."

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,215
    Gosh. The recasts that did the most damage to the show and our least favourites would be much easier Willie. I have a great suspicion Gary Ewing could win this one today with another landslide for Knots ;-)

1. Jilly Stewart Return to Eden
    2. Dennis Harper RTE
    3. Sarah Harper RTE
    4. Alison Carr aka Pat the Rat S&D
    5. Kristin Dallas

Every choice here I really liked the original actor very much aswell :)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 8
  4. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Winner EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +6,640
    Medals:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

1. Omri Katz was really good, but JOSH HENDERSON was just dynamite as John Ross Ewing III Mark 2.

2. I think David Ackroyd would have made a brilliant full-time Gary, but TED SHACKELFORD is still the unsung hero of KNOTS.

3. Mary Crosby: sexy, hilarious and totally twisted as Kristin II (even if Kristin I ended up having the better career).

4. Julie Gonzalo: God, she was great.

5. Jesse Metcalfe: perfectly cast as the soap underdog, forever in his cousin's shadow.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +24,229
    Medals:
    Who played Cliff's daughter before she did?

6. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 21 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,512
    Medals:
    I'm not going to include Gary in my list as he was always played by the same actor in Knots Landing so he wasn't a recast for that show and Ted Shackleford didn't really do a great deal on Dallas where the character was recast.

7. James from London

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +6,640
    Medals:
    She did ...

[​IMG]

... and then she did

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,512
    Medals:
    1. Melissa Agretti (Ana Alicia/Delores Cantu) - FALCON CREST - The original Melissa was demure and kind of insignificant but when Ana Alicia took over the role she turned the character into a firecracker who was able to give Angela a run for her money.
    [​IMG]

2. Jilly Stewart (Wendy Hughes/Peta Toppano) - RETURN TO EDEN - The original Jilly was good but Peta Toppano took the character to a higher degree of bitchiness. camp and pure entertainment.
    [​IMG]

3. Ellie Ewing (Barbara Bel Gedees/Donna Reed) - DALLAS - I know I'm unusual on here in that I liked Donna Reed on Dallas. I particularly admired how she didn't try to copy Barbara's interpretation of the character and instead took it in a different direction. If only she was given more great scenes like the drama of taking down Jock's portrait.
    [​IMG]

4. Elmo Tyson (Mason Adams/Peter Donat) - FLAMINGO ROAD - Peter Donat and Barbara Rush looked like a more believable couple than what would have been the case had Mason Adams stayed in the role.
    [​IMG]

5. Steven Carrington (Al Corley/Jack Coleman) - DYNASTY - It took me a long time to accept a different actor playing the role of Steven but Jack Coleman eventually made the part his own.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  9. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +24,229
    Medals:
    Oh yeah! I'm going to vote for him too. Thanks!

I think that's when things started to go wrong. He was still kinda cute and unaffected in his first season, but when he became a full-time Carrington...oh boy.

10. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,887
    Medals:
    1 - Steven Carrington in Dynasty: while Jack Coleman was no Al Corley, I liked this because they actually went to the effort of explaining his change in appearance rather than dropping in a new actor with a new face without any explanation. I felt it was seamless enough too because I accepted Jack as Steven as a result of the surgery rather than him feeling like an impostor on the show.

[​IMG]

2 - Miss Ellie Ewing in Dallas: a messy recast given how established a character she was and a sign that the powers that be would take greater artistic license going forward but I love how they made it even messier by swapping her out for the original just in time for a season that was all a dream. I would've loved had Donna Reed's stint coincided with the dream season so that Pam could've mentioned how different Miss Ellie looked during her night visions.

3 - Jenna Wade in Dallas: I may be in a minority here but I actually really liked Priscilla Presley's Jenna. Even though I love seeing Morgan Fairchild on a soap and think she would have added a whole different dynamic to the show had she returned in the expanded role, I still enjoyed Priscilla.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4 - Tony Driscoll in Dynasty: a rather minor recast in the grand scheme of things but Tony #2 is fondly remembered on here as a memorable bit player in Dynasty's early years. You can see the (uncredited) Tony #1 here.

5 - Pamela Lynch in Falcon Crest: another one that warrants a mention because they used her change in appearance as a plot device (plastic surgery in order to evade authorities I think?) rather than just dropping her back into the storyline with a new face and no explanation. I love Sarah Douglas but I'm guessing she wasn't available to come back and shoot, hence the head swap and convoluted explanation.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +24,229
    Medals:
    I want to vote for John Ross #2 and Gary #2, but I think they were recasts in the technical sense of the word rather than in-your-face replacements.

1. Vickie Gioberti #2 - FALCON CREST
    [​IMG]
    After the Carrington siblings and Miss Ellie #2 she was the most significant recast since we had seen Jamie Rose in the first three (and best) seasons.
    I don't like her better than Vickie #1, but it doesn't feel like she's tarnished the original version. And the Vickie/Eric couple was more fun than the Vickie/Nick Hogan couple.
    Chase's daughter returns with an attitude, something that was already there, but couldn't fully develop in the secluded atmosphere of the picturesque Tuscany Valley.

2. Harlan Adams #2 - EMERALD POINT N.A.S.
    upload_2019-8-27_0-55-26.png
    Nothing wrong with Patrick O'Neal of course, but he didn't look very noticeable in his role of the scheming Harlan.
    One could argue that Robert Vaughn was typecast, but he plays these characters so convincingly so why not do the sensible thing?
    And purely based on physical appearance I thought he was more suitable to play Hilary's father.

3. Kristin Shepard #2 - DALLAS
    [​IMG]
    Eventhough Melissa #2 was equally entertaining and also a major upgrade , Kristin #2 beats the Falcon Crest vixen based on significance.

4. Elmo Tyson #2 - FLAMINGO ROAD
    For the reason as described by @Angela Channing. And I really liked NuElmo, he was the most "Peyton Place" character on FR.

5. Jenna Wade #3 - DALLAS
    upload_2019-8-27_3-15-57.png

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 4
  12. James from London

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +6,640
    Medals:
    Technically speaking, he was Tony Cumson #1 and #3. He was replaced for one episode by Tony Cumson #2 (Robert Loggia), but then came back after he'd stopped being Rashid Ahmed.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 20 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,448
    Medals:
    1. Ted Shackelford replacing David Ackroyd as Gary Ewing, Dallas.* Yeah, I went there...and after only having seen two clips of DA's Gary.

* Edited the show affiliation to clarify.

2. Stacy Galina, replacing Danielle Brisebois as Mary Frances Sumner on Knots Landing. With this (albeit brief) return of the Mary Frances character, Galina gave her some of the Sumner traits we never saw in the earlier version: secrecy, along with a healthy dose of skepticism and sanctimony when dealing with her father. Galina made enough of an impression that she was asked back to play a new role (Kate).

3. Barbara Bel Geddes replacing Donna Reed as Miss Ellie, Dallas. No, I did not get them backwards; BBG returned to 'her' role and it was like having mom's cooking after eating at restaurants for a week during a vacation. @Barbara Fan knows what I'm talking about. Probably better than I do. :)

4. Josh Henderson replacing Omri Katz as John Ross, Dallas....on the strength of that above photo alone. Jeez, Louise. :eyes:

5. Brian Austin Green replacing Bobby Jacoby as Brian Cunningham, KL. Brian finally became his own character with this recast, rather than just "the spare kid" who wasn't Olivia.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +24,229
    Medals:
    Thanks, I've edited my list!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Fan EXP: 8 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,097
    Medals:
    1. Steven Carrington (Dynasty), recast from Al Corley to Jack Coleman.
    2. Kristin Shepard (Dallas), recast from Colleen Camp to Mary Crosby.
    3. Gary Ewing (Knots Landing), recast from David Ackroyd in Dallas to Ted Shackleford, for the spin-off.
    4. Melissa Agretti Cumson Gioberti Cumson (Falcon Crest) from Dolores Cantu to Ana Alicia.
    5. Lori Chapman / Stevens (Falcon Crest) from Cindy Morgan to Maggie Cooper.

• Like Like x 9
  16. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +24,229
    Medals:
    Hi guys, I'd like to sort this out first because I don't want anyone to feel disappointed about the results.
    It's true that Gary was recast for KNOTS LANDING, but the two Garies only appeared on DALLAS. Before I start tally the votes I need to know which soap is connected with this particular recast.
    It's fine with me either way, I'll let you decide. Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Fan EXP: 8 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,097
    Medals:
    Since Knots was a Dallas spin-off and because David wasn't available to take part when Gary moved to California for his own show my Ted Shackleford vote is for KNOTS LANDING.

18. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,512
    Medals:
    Gary Ewing was recast in Dallas. Ted Shackleford was the only actor to play Gary in Knots Landing so I can't see how it can be considered to be a recast on that show. The Gary recast is a product of Dallas in my honest opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. James from London

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +6,640
    Medals:
    I don't mind!

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 20 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,448
    Medals:
    Yes, he is a recast for Dallas only. Ackroyd did appear on Knots, but playing a different role. So I understand my vote is for a Dallas recast and not a KL one. I edited my vote accordingly.