SoapLand - The Battle Of The Recasts - The Results

Discussion in 'SoapLand - The Battles' started by Willie Oleson, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,049
    Medals:
    1. Kristin Shepard (Dallas), Colleen Camp to Mary Crosby.
    2. Melissa Agretti (Falcon Crest) Dolores Cantu to Ana Alicia.
    3. Adam Carrington (Dynasty) Gordon Thompson to Robin Sachs.
    4. Steven Carrington (Dynasty) Al Corley to Jack Coleman.
    5. Gary Ewing (Dallas) David Ackroyd to Ted Shackleford.

This was difficult since I prefer the original actor in most cases.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,117
    Medals:

Interesting conversation.

My first thought was that it had to be Dallas because both actors appeared on that show. But...

...Since the Knots Pilot was evidently shot some months before Ted's first Dallas episode I'd hazard a guess Ted was cast by the powers that be at Knots who had probably approached David Ackroyd first and found him unavailable. Ergo the Knots casting people were probably responsible for the recast. So I'd talked myself into Knots.

Like James, I'm fine either way, but there are convincing arguments for either.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,117
    Medals:
    Hmmm. No change there, then.

4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,497
    Medals:
    I'm going to use this as a proxy vote and also vote for Dallas (eventhough it feels like a Knots Landing recast, like Peta Topano in RTE II, and Jessica Walter in Bare Essence II)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +780
    My favoured recast picks were based on those replacements I thought were either better in the role than the originator or else held his/her own and left a mark.

Ana-Alicia as FC’s 2nd Melissa Agretti was initially my top-ranked prime-time recast, followed by FR’s Peter Donat as Elmo Tyson. Then I realised the actors they replaced only appeared in the role once. Hardly a fair comparison between originator and replacement.

So now my list has been ‘refined’ to take into account the amount of air time each had. My choices are drawn from the US prime-time shows I most/mostly watched, of which Knots Landing and Dallas were my least watched.

I do think the length of time one watches an actor in a role does make a difference: I struggled to accept Jack Coleman in Al Corley’s shoes on Dynasty for lack of a ‘tortured soul’ feel to him but one day realised he’d grown on me in his own insipid puppy-dog way. .....In Robin Sachs case, I rebelled at his casting. Never mind his height; an Adam without bite, without darkness to him was no Adam, however ‘reformed’. But had there been more Dynasty shows with him as Adam, no longer prone to brooding and drinking, I think in time he might have grown on me, but only if he’d showed us glimpses of old dark Adam. .....For me, Donna Reed as the replacement Ms Ellie was an epic fail only because I felt the upmarket-dressed image change for the character was all wrong for the show, a fly in ointment.

My picks:

1. Vickie Gioberti (FC) Jamie Rose/Dana Sparks
    2. Steven Carrington (Dynasty) Al Corley/Jack Coleman
    3. Melissa Agretti (FC) Delores Cantu/Ana-Alicia
    4. Elmo Tyson (FR) Mason Adams/Peter Donat
    5. Jenna Wade (Dallas) Morgan Fairchild/Priscilla Presley

• Like Like x 6
  6. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,117
    Medals:
    1. Ted Shackelford’s Gary Ewing
    Knallas
    [​IMG]
    David Ackroyd gave a compelling and intense performance in Gary’s initial two-part story. Gary wouldn't be that rich and layered in Dallas again (it helped that Ackroyd’s Gary was written exclusively by David Jacobs). I’d have happily watched a spin-off with Ackroyd at the centre of it. As Jacobs himself has commented, it would have been a very different Knots Landing.

Nevertheless, thanks to Ted, Gary was one of the most consistently watchable characters during his fourteen year stint on Knots Landing. It took us longer to get to know Ted's Gary, and his journey to finding himself took us to some dark and ugly places (I think Jacobs described his Gary as very "clenched fists"). But he proved well worth the investment.

2. Francine Tacker’s Jenna Wade

Dallas
    [​IMG]

As with Gary, we’re talking apples and oranges here. Morgan Fairchild was in many ways the perfect Jenna and a difficult act to follow. Francine’s Jenna was a very different animal. She may not have had the overt big-haired glamour but she oozed class, seemed very switched on and had a very special something.

The jury’s out on whether this Jenna would have been playboy Bobby’s type (personally, I could see Francine having better onscreen chemistry with any of the other three Ewing brothers), but there was certainly a frisson to the scenes she shared with Pam. The confrontation where Jenna lays her cards on the table in Pam’s office ("We both know men like Bobby don't grow on trees") remains my favourite Jenna scene of the entire series. In my opinion, Jenna was never a bigger threat to Pam than in that moment. And that’s thanks to what Francine brought to her interpretation.

3. Omri Katz’s John Ross Ewing
    Dallas
    [​IMG]

His John Ross had a sense of journey, going from the innocent to the one that showed signs of having inherited his father’s more competitive traits. Omri was along for the ride and made John Ross for the first time feel very much like a character in his own right. I seem to remember some nice scenes with Barbara Bel Geddes along the way.

4. Eric Farlow’s Christopher Ewing
    Knallas
    [​IMG]

Another recast who (I think) debuted on Knots Landing!

He seems to get a lot of flak round here, but I always enjoyed the family scenes with Pam, Bobby and Eric's Christopher. The unpredictability made his scenes watchable: a moment in Swan Song in which he ad libs some dialogue when Victoria Principal comments that he doesn’t understand what’s going on is great.

5. Joshua Harris’s Christopher Ewing
    Dallas
    [​IMG]

As with Omri’s JRIII, his arrival on the series changed the dynamics on the series by making Christopher a character played by an actor. The scene in which he discusses his adoption in Victoria Principal’s final episode is a nice example of his work, and I thought the sometimes supportive/sometimes fractious relationship between Christopher and John Ross in later episodes worked well for the show.

Special mentions...

Keenan Wynn’s Digger Barnes
    Dallas
    There’s a bit of a pattern here, because Digger The Second has a very different vibe to his predecessor. I’m a bit torn, because Digger was never as pure and memorable as during David Wayne’s inimitable performances. He became more your grouchy granddad than the unpredictable wild eyed dreamer. But I see him as a necessary part of the series at that time and I’ve always assumed that Wayne was unavailable for some reason when the second season came round. Anyway, he grew on me, and deserves to be here for that deathbed confession.

Mary Crosby’s Kristin Shepard
    Dallas
    She rocked a swimsuit like nobody else. And she shot JR.

Had she done both simultaneously, she'd have been a sure thing for my Top Five.

Jack Coleman’s Steven Carrington
    Dynasty
    Because, as @Carrie Fairchild mentioned, they went to the trouble of writing the new face into the story.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,049
    Medals:
    Are we doing "The worst recasts" later on? :D

• Like Like x 1
  8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,497
    Medals:
    We've done the Most Hated Characters but that was an exception. We're looking for achievements, not the failures :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,069
    Medals:
    1. Priscilla Presley as Jenna Wade (Dallas)
    Priscilla brought a southern elegance to the role. There's a softness and vulnerability to her performance that the previous actresses lacked. Her Jenna is more likable and I can see why Bobby was drawn to her.

2. Jack Coleman as Steven Carrington (Dynasty)
    I like the second Steven more than the first one. The plastic surgery excuse to bring him onto the show made sense too.

3. Ted Shackelford as Gary Ewing (Dallas or Knots)
    I like what he brought to the role also his chemistry with Joan is awesome!

4. Emma Samms as Fallon Carrington (Dynasty)

Her Fallon is different and more grown up. She and Jeff were great on The Colbys. I was happy to see them bring back the character.

5. Josh Henderson as John Ross Ewing (Dallas)

He was one of the best things about the new Dallas. I love his interpretation of the role.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,952
    Medals:
    1) Gary Ewing portrayed by Ted Shackelford: The prodigal son, who set up home in the Sea View Circle of California. A likeable character who suffered from a drink problem. Nonetheless Garrison Arthur was his mother's favourite son and IMHO deserves first position - DALLAS.

2) Ellie Southworth Ewing Farlow portrayed by Donna Reed: I felt sorry for Donna Reed as she had the mammoth task of playing such an established character Mama Ewing. The second Miss Ellie just couldn't do right for doing wrong, in the eyes of stalwart fans. However I feel she gave her best, definitely made the role her own and had two powerful scenes in her short stint that spring to mind, firstly: The taking down of Jock's portrait, as J.R. and Bobby watch her and secondly: Giving J.R. a scolding for his engineering in making cousin Jamie leave Southfork. Ellie should have smacked him on the ass - DALLAS.

3) Kristin Shepard portrayed by Mary Crosby: A fantastic character who was the woman behind the gun, in the most famous cliffhanger to date, 'Who Shot J.R.?' Kristin was the good looking younger sister of long suffering Sue Ellen and she proved that you didn't mess with her. Sadly Miss Shepard ended up dead in the swimming pool, at Southfork - DALLAS.

4) Melissa Agretti Cumson Gioberti Cumson portrayed by Ana Alicia: My favourite person in the wine saga. Melissa had beauty on her side, she played men like every renowned vixen does and was the only other character to achieve owning Falcon Crest outright, wrangling the business away from her nemesis grandmother in-law Angela. The Rossinis nor Michael Sharpe didn't reside in the Victorian mansion as owner(s) but feisty Melissa did - FALCON CREST.

5) Steven Carrington portrayed by Jack Coleman: When the bandages came off the youngest son of Blake and Alexis was well and truly back, in the land of 'Dienasty'. Quite often a spirited man Steven was fairly pleasant compared to his older brother Adam, who was a plotter of the highest level - DYNASTY.

Ellie (Donna Reed) recently returned from Greece, after spending her honeymoon there with Clayton. The matriarch is intent on putting Jock's portrait back at Ewing Oil, J.R. says his mother is wrong to do the action. Ellie's two sons are with her, in the living room of Southfork, where Jock's presence is still very prevalent, (a scene from season 7; DVD - 8, 1984 - 1985):

Ellie: "J.R. I know how much you loved your daddy but keeping that painting up there is not going to bring him back. Only our memories can do that and we have a lifetime of those. Your daddy is in every shadow of this house, in every place he ever walked. Nobody can take away the love, we had for him."

J.R. looks glumly for the first time, in a long time.

Ellie: "His life with us is over and we have mourned him, long enough."

Bobby and J.R. look at their father's portrait.

Ellie lifts the portrait, "Taking this painting down is the right thing to do! I'm sure even Jock would agree. It's time for this family to start again."

The frame freezes on Jock's portrait. Fade to black, the theme tune begins and then the closing credits.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
  11. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,049
    Medals:
    Then how about "best hats"?

12. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,039
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    1- Melissa (FC)
    2- Gary (Dallas)
    3- Kristin (Dallas)
    4- Sally Bullock (Dallas)
    5- Mary Frances (Knots)

• Like Like x 5
  13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,497
    Medals:
    Not about Mary Frances really, but when Linda Fairgate returned I thought the actress had been recast. She looked so pretty!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,319
    Medals:
    1. Kristin
    2. Melissa
    3. Gary
    4. Steven
    5. Digger

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,497
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

1. Gary Ewing #2 (Dallas) - 33 points
    I can't say I'm surprised, but the competition turned out be stronger than expected.
    Then again, when I think of a new theme I never consider all the candidates, only that there's enough to choose from.

2. Kristin Shepard #2 (Dallas) - 27 points

An admirable second position for the cheeky and very revamped Dallas sister.

3. Melissa Agretti #2 (Falcon Crest) - 25 points

Our favourite of the blink-and-you'll-miss-it recasts. And now I'm curious to know how this recast came about.

4. Steven Carrington #2 (Dynasty) -24 points

As other forum members have already pointed out, it deserves some credit for being a written recast when plastic surgery wasn't a soap trope yet.

5. Miss Ellie #2 (Dallas) - 14 points

Now, this really baffles me since I have yet to read a positive Miss Ellie 2 thread. But, it is what it is :D

Congratulations, DALLAS! (and, in spirit, KNOTS LANDING too!) [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,039
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I wanted to post the link of my latest video here because there is a chapter for the recastings (go to 12'14'') but something unexpected happened to me (I was kidnapped and locked up by a lookalike who pretended to be moi and get a tell-all story from Miss Piggy, but she didn´t believe him...). Anyway, you can watch it now because there is a bit of trivia that might interest you (like how many years there were between the original and the "usurper" in every case) and also selected scenes with both actors. I hope you like it!

PS: I´m happy to see those three "replacements" up there but it´s obvious someone bought "someone" to put the other two "at the bottom". @Barbara Fan! Time to get into action!!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  17. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,069
    Medals:
    Yikes! I can't even remember the first Melissa Agretti! :confuse:

18. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,273
    Medals:
    I don't think First Melissa actually spoke.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,323
    Medals:
    She had one line. She said "OK" to her father before turning to Angela saying "It was wonderful" at the end of a party at Falcon Crest.

• Informative Informative x 1