1. Musical Secret Santa

It's a Secret!

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

SoapLand - The Battle Of The Resurrections: The Result

Discussion in 'SoapLand - The Battles' started by Richard Channing, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,160
    Just in time for Easter, it's now time to vote for your favourite resurrections. Those characters that came back from being dead or missing, presumed dead. There may be some questions as to what constitutes 'dead' and 'back' but I think we should leave it fairly open. If they were dead, or appeared to be dead, and were back, or appeared to be back, then it's all good.

jesus-brb-lol.jpg
    #RIP #TTFN #WTF

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,538
    1. Stephanie Harper (Return To Eden)
    upload_2018-3-29_1-56-35.png
    "What's the matter, Greg? Nothing to say?"

2. Philip Colby (The Colbys)
    upload_2018-3-29_1-57-48.png
    He ruined poor Frankie's wedding day!

3. Sean Rowan (Dynasty)
    upload_2018-3-29_1-59-18.png
    "Alexis...Sean is dead"

4. Richard Channing (Falcon Crest)
    upload_2018-3-29_2-1-48.png
    But he didn't even know he was dead!

5. Michael Tyrone (Flamingo Road)
    upload_2018-3-29_2-2-59.png

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  3. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,160
    Right, that's twice he came back from the dead!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,538
    I have this feeling that Richard Channing and Michael Tyrone are the same person, so that would make it 3 times!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,496
    Great topic! And seasonally appropriate :)

I will have to appeal to the judge on this one (on behalf of many others): Do the characters who 'died' in the Big D Dream Season count as presumed dead?

Anyway, speaking of Ewings--we kinda do that a lot around here.....

1. Valene Ewing, KL--yes, little Betsy was right all along. Pity about that awful red hair, though...

2. Gary Ewing, KL--sure, he was only assumed dead for an episode and half but it was well done.

3. Betsy and Bobby Gibson (Ewing), KL--Face it, Ackerman. You weren't fooling amateur sleuth Karen!

4. Julia Cumson, FC--unlike most of these, I really did assume she was gone for good after the fire.

5. Greg Sumner, KL--like Gary, he was only presumed dead for about an episode and a half, but they milked it for a lot of drama.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,160
    Yes, as are characters resurrected in the dream season presumed resurrected. Confusing, isn't it?

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,160
    1. Julia Cumson. Even though she wasn't even dead her ashes still managed to claim the lives of 3 of her fellow cast members. Impressive. Also loved her wonderfully atmospheric return amongst the vines in the dark of night.

2. Philip Colby. One of soaps most impeccably timed resurrections.

3. Dusty Farlow. A mysterious return that lead to some great drama.

4. Steven Carrington. A super soapy reveal and a heartfelt plea from his father saw a brand new Steven make his way back to Denver.

5. Gary Ewing. Although it was quickly apparent he wasn't dead at all it was worth it for Val's wonderfully OTT reaction to the news.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,558
    1. Julia Cumson - FALCON CREST - One of the saddest and most unexpected deaths and one of the most surprising and happy returns.

2. Michael Tyrone - FLAMINGO ROAD - died and reappeared in the mysterious final scene of the series.

3. Richard Channing - FALCON CREST - Angela's dead baby never really died and turned out to be Richard.

4. Jock Ewing - DALLAS - reappeared years later in the form of Wes Parmalee

5. Steven Carrington - DYNASTY - it was a good job the oil rig explosion didn't damage his eyes or Blake wouldn't have known him when he returned.

• Like Like x 7
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,292
    1) Bobby Ewing – DALLAS: To all extent and purposes Jock’s favourite son died; in the spring of 1985, after a ‘hit and run’ from his crazy sister in law. Then low and behold Pam woke up, from dreaming an entire season. Bobby was standing in her shower, as unconcerned as can be.
    2) Julia Cumson – FALCON CREST: We all thought the former wine chemist / nun wannabe had been burnt to a crisp, in the springhouse fire. The next season (when Gustav Riebmann featured); incidentally another high drama year saw Julia alive and kicking. She appeared as if in a vision to Emma, among the millions of grapes outside the mansion. Later on Julia revealed that she escaped down through a tunnel, leading from the springhouse cottage.
    3) Steven Carrington – DYNASTY: After going overseas to work on an oil rig Steven was thought to be dead, after an explosion. Off screen he had been getting plastic surgery and then eventually returned to the Carrington family.
    4) Richard Channing – FALCON CREST: In 1942 the wine loving FC matriarch Angela thought she had lost her first born; a boy, in a still born death. In a bizarre turn of events the long time nemesis to FALCON CREST ‘tricky dickey’ Channing was discovered to be Angela’s son, 45 years later. Jacqueline Perrault and her lover Douglas Channing (Angela’s first husband) snatched him, after cruelly making it look as if he had died. Richard apparently died again at the end of season 7, only to come back from hiding after the 13 were eradicated.
    5) Philip Colby –THE COLBYS: The bad egg brother of Jason, Connie and Cecil vanished from California in the fifties. He took the identity of his dead friend Hoyt Parker, after the Colbys thought their youngest brother was also brown bread. Except he wasn’t and rejoined the clan in 1987, after Connie and her cowboy boyfriend died after a plane crashed, which he was also supposed to be a passenger on.

It is night, in the Tuscany Valley. Emma goes for a walk, through the Falcon Crest vines. It is very eerie. She hears a person saying Emma repeatedly but continues walking, (scenes from season 4, 1984-’85):

There are footsteps and then they stop. Emma is frightened, as she looks into a thick vine.

Emma: “Julia!”

Closing credits, fade to black and the theme music.

The next episode commences, with Emma going back into the mansion. Angela comes back in from the outside, after being on the veranda.

Angela: “Emma tell me what exactly did you see?”

Emma: “It was Julia. She is still alive. She was just standing there. I called to her but she just ran away. Mother we have to find her.”

Angela: “Chao-Li will you get Emma some brandy please.”

Chao-Li: “Yes Mrs. Channing!”

Emma: “I don’t need any brandy. Mother didn’t you hear what I said. Julia is out there.”

Angela: “We will look for her in the morning darling.”

Emma: “You don’t believe me, do you?”

Angela: “Well of course……..”

Emma: “Mother I know what I saw. Now Julia needs us. She’s out there. She’s frightened.”

Chao-Li: “Here you are Emma.”

Emma: “No thank you Chao-Li! I don’t need any brandy. Mother Julia is alive we’re you believe it or not.”

Angela: “Yes yes darling. You go on upstairs.”

Chao-Li takes a very reluctant Emma upstairs.

Emma: “No I’m not going upstairs. I’ve got to find Julia.” She asks Chao-Li to help her.

• Like Like x 8
  10. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,267
    1. Julia Cumson – FALCON CREST
    2. Val Ewing - KNOTS LANDING
    3. Richard Channing – FALCON CREST
    4. Steven Carrington - DYNASTY
    5. Bobby Ewing – DALLAS

• Like Like x 5
  11. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,491
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    1- Mark Graison (Dallas)
    2- Julia Cumson (FC)
    3- Bobby Ewing (Dallas)
    4- Dusty Farlow (Dallas)
    5- Steven Carrington (Dynasty)

• Like Like x 6
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  12. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,511
    1. Garrison Southworth, for being the first.
    2. Dusty Farlow, for being the second.
    3. Mark Graison, for being the most dramatic.
    4. Gary Ewing, for being the most mind-scrambling.
    5. Bobby Ewing, for rescuing us from the previous year.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,163
    Aussie soaps definitely did these the best. Like the Return To Eden climax posted by Willie. And a number on Sons And Daughters.

One thing I enjoy about resurrections is the potential for that person to be alive. Weeks or months of searching. Sometimes the real thing can be an anti-climax, but I'll cut the story a break if there's been a bit of a build-up. But then sudden surprises are good too, aren't they?

1. Mark Graison
    Dallas

2. Dusty Farlow
    Dallas

3. Fallon Carrington
    Dynasty

4. Julia Cumson*
    Falcon Crest

5. Valene Ewing
    Knots Landing

* I haven't watched Falcon Crest, but all I've read points to me liking this reveal.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,538
    How dramatic was it, sorry I don't remember. Was he not-dead in China? (or big in Japan - couldn't resist!)

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,511
    We didn't know anything for sure until this (by which time the idea of Mark being alive or dead had kind of slipped our minds):

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,538
    I guess the best ones are those that serve the plot or are the plot. Or at least don't spoil the previous and current plotlines.
    Yes, but a surprising moment is still just a moment. To be honest I can't think of great resurrection scene (from a soap) - I'd say Dallas' infamous shower scene is the most spectacular, except that it wasn't Bobby who came back, it was Patrick Duffy. So that wasn't a real storyline.

When Julia Cumson returned she had to walk on eggshells, there wasn't much she could do. There was the link with Father Christopher but I think he could have existed without her.
    I didn't get much out of her comeback.

But the return of Chase Gioberti, oh yes that would have been awesome.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,511
    I'd be genuinely very interested to know what your impressions of Falcon Crest are, Mel, based on what you've read. Then maybe you could be strapped into a chair for the whole nine seasons, Clockwork Orange style* to see how watching it compares!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

*or whatever viewing arrangement works best for you!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 4
  18. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,163
    Well, I can say that you're responsible for most of them. I've mostly avoided reading much about it in the hope that I will one day watch, but it's been great to discover the Crest in the broader context of the Eighties nighttime scene as part of the Versus threads. I have a feeling we're currently amid something of a decline for the series.

My head is saying no, but my soapy little heart is fairly comfortable with that suggestion.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,292
    FALCON CREST had a lot of ingredients to lure the viewer, in the show’s heyday. For a start you had all those vineyards; the main Victorian mansion, the Gioberti castle, the droll wit, Richard changing homes at nearly every farts end, the plethora of guest stars from Hollywood’s golden oldie era, the blood thirsty nature, the core cast lead by the formidable Jane Wyman and then there was the Catholic element. After the show’s creator Earl Hamner relinquished his input post season 5 I feel the show’s identity for two years became a mixture of darkness and sitcom, which can of course be funny too. While not everyone’s cup of tea I thought the Freilich penned seasons (6 & 7) were entertaining. Season 8 started out promising until we had the Pilar Ortega show (Melissa’s replacement) and the ninth / final season IMHO wasn’t FALCON CREST, for the most part.

Let’s not forget it is nearly 11 years ago when Jane passed away and her co-star plus good friend Chao-Li Chi went into the other world in 2010. Of course all the many other guest stars too; Lana Turner, Cesar Romero, Father Curtis, Mel Ferrer, Edward Albert, Rod Taylor, Celeste Holm and Cliff Robertson. Mel O’Drama if you have the time I would encourage you to indulge in the wine producing Tuscany Valley show.

Angela, Richard and Chao-Li are outside the ruins of the Falcon Crest mansion, after the fire ripped through it and Melissa subsequently died. Richard is back in the land of the living; after faking his death, to escape the 13, (a scene from season 8, 1988-‘89):

Angela walks away to inspect the damage.

Richard: “Damn shame! This is worse for her than loosing Falcon Crest to Melissa.”

Chao-Li: “She’ll get it back and build again.”

Richard smiles and says, “I don’t doubt it Chao-Li.”

Richard: “Have they any idea what caused the fire?”

Chao-Li: “Who can tell with accidents? Perhaps it was an electrical fire.”

Richard: “Are they sure it was an accident?” Chao-Li doesn’t answer.

Richard then joins Angela who is standing, in what used to be the living room. Chao-Li walks off.

Richard: “Its only bricks and stone. It’s all replaceable.”

Angela: “What bricks? What stone? It hurts to see it like this.”

Richard: “I know. Why don’t you come on back to the house with me? I’ll fix you breakfast.”

Angela: “Oh no thanks! I don’t think Maggie would appreciate me being there.”

Richard: “Oh it’s me she’s not appreciating at the moment. She resents you knew what was going on and she didn’t.”

Angela: “Well I told you to tell her. Most women like to know if their husbands are really dead or alive.”

Richard: “Well it’s a little late to start teaching me about women.”

Angela attempts to crack a smile.

Richard: “Are you going to be alright?”

Angela looks up to the sky and says, “We are Giobertis Richard. We’re not easily defeated. There will be a new Falcon Crest. You can mark my word!”

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,282
    1. Stephanie Harper in mini series Return to Eden
    2. She did it again. Jilly’s Face was priceless. Stephanie Harper in the maxi series
    3. Mark Graison
    4. Bobby Ewing
    5. Pat the Rat/Alison Carr in Sons and Daughters
    6. Dusty Farlow

Great and timely topic indeed. Thanks @Richard Channing

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 4