SoapLand - The Battle Of The Returns: The Result

Discussion in 'SoapLand - The Battles' started by Richard Channing, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Based on a suggestion made in the last battle thread this time we're gonna vote on our favourite returns to Soapland. We've already done resurrections so characters coming back from the dead won't be included in this battle. Maybe you were impressed with how a character was brought back or maybe you were just happy to see one of your favourites back in town. Whatever your reason, let the battle commence and let's vote on our top 5 returns.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,845
    1. Sammy Jo Returns To Denver (Dynasty)
    upload_2018-5-1_2-37-52.png
    ...together with her million dollar baby, and the timing couldn't be more perfect.
    I think it's pure saga, and this was a great dramatic episode. Unlike many of the devious soap vixens and divas, Sammy Jo always retained her innocent appearance, a true devil in disguise.
    "She couldn't find it in her heart to deny me my grandson". Ha!

2. Richard Avery Returns For Laura's Funeral (Knots Landing)
    The gathering was sort of an event, but in essence there was nothing spectacular about Richard's visit, in fact I thought it made sense.
    And yet it boggles the mind that an ex-SoapLander would stroll back into their lives in such a natural way. Maybe because an ex-Soapie is more "dead" than a dead Soapie.
    Either way, his return enhanced those great episodes big time.

3. Jane Sumner Returns For Mary-Francis' Funeral (Knots Landing)
    She's one of my favourite supporting characters, and I was just happy to see her again. She's kinda no-frills and at the same time she oozes upper-class.

4. Gary Ewing Returns To Dallas (Dallas, of course)
    The fans wanted to see Pam and Ray, but we got Gary instead! And he was totally not manipulated by Sue Ellen.

5. Neal McVane Gets Out Of Prison (Dynasty)
    From ambitious congressman to sinister lowlife. And how he hates the Carringtons.
    upload_2018-5-1_3-20-29.png
    "I want to spend a few moments with you...Mr. Torrance"

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,298
    1. Mary Frances's return, Knots Landing. The recasting of the role actually worked in the viewers' favor, since it wasn't like we had to watch that sweet girl from All in the Family who originally played the role (Danielle Brisebois) get shot dead in Greg's office. M-F's brief return did make a big impression, though--enough to win Stacy Galina the rare "soap opportunity" to return as a look-alike cousin.

2. Richard's return, KL. Like Willie said, his return seemed so natural. It wasn't treated like OMG it's Richard, can you believe it??. Best of all he got the chance to hold up a mirror to the worst aspects of the characters and they couldn't really fight back because....well, it was always up to Laura to shut him down with a withering eye-roll, and she wasn't available.

3. Nick's return (as 'Dmitri'), KL. Anne and Nick are an underrated pair, and when Nick came back into Anne's life with a dead body in tow ("Betty looked a lot better before she turned blue..."), they got to play a comic caper as a great counter-point to the seriousness of the Jason Lochner storyline. A much better return than his re-return in season 13/14 as a puppet of the big-bad Treadwell.

4. Lilimae's return, KL. It's easy to forget that she was brought in for one episode, then disappeared into the ether in the early, non-serialized episodes. When they decided to bring her back full-time later on, we found out she'd been living on the streets in the interim. Val and Gary had to agree to take her in so she would not end up in jail for shoplifting and skipping out on hotel/restaurant bills all over Los Angeles.

5. Angela's return, Falcon Crest. She came out of her coma in time for everything to be put more or less back in place just in time for the series to end, which was a gift to fans who had to suffer through the very, very different FC of that season. Her speech in the final scene was a wonderful way to put a period on the end of the sentence.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,889
    1. Sable Slinks Back
    Dynasty

[​IMG]
    By the time Season Nine of Dynasty began, The Colbys felt a very long way away and I'd just assumed that all the characters barring Fallon and Jeff would never be seen, heard from or mentioned again. Imagine my delight on learning that Stephanie Beacham was to return. This is a return that lived up to the hype, with Sable bringing fun and conflict with her. The onscreen history with Jeff, Fallon and Monica and the mostly offscreen history with Alexis played out to good effect. And there were the nuances of character which fleshed Sable out and made her a complex, interesting character. Best of all, Sable was sharper than ever and it fed those she bounced off. Any scene featuring her - no matter who else was present - was full of vitality.

The magic was there from that very first episode, peeking out from behind the potted plant like a hunting tigress, making her phone call to find out what “that witch” was doing in California, spilling champers down Alexis’s cleavage and then exchanging acid drops:

SABLE: "Your poor husband. I see you’re grief stricken."
    ALEXIS: "Yes. I understand that you lost your husband too. Traded you in for your sister, didn’t he?"
    SABLE [to Dex]: "And you must be the one who shot him. [To Alexis] Honestly darling... first Cecil. Then Sean."
    ALEXIS: "I understand why you’re not on the dance floor, Sable. You might trip over your tongue."

Heavenly!

2. Richard Returns
    Knots Landing

If anything was going to cushion the blow of the cast cull of ’87 it was the return of an old favourite. Even if just for a short while (and it felt even shorter than it was). Richard’s original exit was one of the most effective and very much in character. Having him return four and a half years later had the potential to dilute that. But with Knots so much about character and John Pleshette so unchanging, it was just like old times. His return highlighted how much things had changed, and Richard’s quips about everyone being richer while all present looked uncomfortable felt very much like the elephant in the room suddenly wanted everyone to conga with it. His return showed very much why Richard had left; what with the omniscient Mackenzies talking down to him and Abby getting her verbal punches in. Richard had that effect on people. He was like the ghost of Knots past - a reminder that there’d been simpler times when four couples shared a cul de sac; that Karen hadn’t always been perfect; that Abby - for all her late Eighties airs - had been poor, desperate and mercenary not so long before. I don’t share the view that Richard wouldn’t have worked on the affluent, glamorous Knots that followed his departure. His interactions with characters like Greg and Jill show exactly why he would have been right at home. But I'll take it for what it is. It's kind of the reverse of the earlier situation where Laura was left to deal with Richard's departure, supported by her neighbours but very much alone. Richard is in that situation here and is still a very natural loner. And for all his talk of being settled and happy, I very much appreciated that he’s still bitter after all these years.

3. Dusty’s Dilemma
    Dallas

[​IMG]
    Having previously come and gone a couple of times - including a back from the dead - Dusty’s 1985 return to Dallas felt very special. Bobby’s death shortly into his return stint changed the dynamic completely. With everyone’s focus on their loss, Sue Ellen was left alone and at rock bottom, with Dusty the only familiar face. By the time he punched her out in that bar it felt like all bets were off. Which can only be a good thing.

4. Diana Does It Again
    Knots Landing

Uneventful and fleeting as her return to Knots was, I enjoyed seeing the growth in Diana. She’d left the show eight and a half years before as a young woman coming into her own and determined to make it by herself, but still very much with something to prove (especially to Karen, though she’d never have admitted that). The Diana of the early Nineties was a much more relaxed person. She had made it, but there’s a sense that somewhere along the journey the destination had stopped being important. Seeing her as a big sister to Meg was both sweet and strange (as with Richard’s return, it was oddly fascinating and almost laughable to think of all the familial change in the Mackenzie household since Diana’s departure). But it’s seeing her as confidante and truth speaker to her mother that spoke volumes about Diana. There was a hint of tokenism to Diana’s return but I completely forgive that because it felt so right this close to series’ end to get reacquainted with someone who’d been there at the very beginning.

5. Sammy Jo’s Surprise
    Dynasty

[​IMG]
    Exits and re-entries were kind of Sammy Jo’s thing for a while. Each was fun, and none more so than her initial return, using her new little Carrington heir to her advantage as only Sammy Jo could.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,343
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    My choices:

1- Kristin Shepard (Dallas Or. Season 3) aka The One with the Very Campy Scene of Her getting Out of a Car and Into the Hotel Lobby and doing a Maggie Gioberti Turn

upload_2018-5-2_23-21-16.jpeg
    Look at that Soap Vixen Pioneer!
    2- Abby (KL Season 14) aka The One with the Abster in a Leopard-Lapel Gown eating a Croissant

upload_2018-5-2_23-22-33.jpeg
    An Abster is an Abster...is an Abster​

3- Dusty Farlow (Dallas Or. Season 7) aka The One with Lusty Dusty in a Tuxedo watching Boozy Sue

upload_2018-5-2_23-28-52.png
    I wish you weren´t just a figment of Pam´s lusty dreams...​

4- Katherine Wentworth (Dallas Or. Season 5) aka The One with Kathy Darling in her N.Y. Bed being awakened by the News of Mama from Hell´s Death

upload_2018-5-2_23-43-57.png
    Obviously, it was a bad time for Bobby to call. She seemed to be busy doing...whatever.
    5- Patricia Shepard (Dallas Dream Season) aka The One with Geisha-Training Mommie in a Travilla Hat arriving at SF as if Nothing had happened in the Previous 4 Years

[​IMG]
    Look at her behind Miss Ellie:
    She thinks she´s cooler than Angela Channing...​

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,298
    Thought-bubble over Miss Ellie's head:
    "Oh, God, will someone turn on the sprinklers, please?"

• Funny Funny x 5
  7. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,175
    1. Angela Channing - FALCON CREST - After spending most of the final season off screen in a come she returned for the final 2 episodes making us realise how much we missed her.
    2. Lady Jessica Montford - DALLAS - Although I didn't like much of the JR in the asylum storyline, it was great to have Jessica back on the show.
    3. Miss Ellie - DALLAS - The character returns with a new face after being away on honeymoon.
    4. Katherine Wentworth - DALLAS - Returned to run down Bobby.
    5. Lucy Ewing - DALLAS - When she came back she didn't have a great storyline but it was fun to see her return to the series.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,186
    1) Angela Gioberti Channing Erikson Stavros Agretti – FALCON CREST: The all conquering grape granny of the 1980s had to return and take control of the business she fought so hard to maintain, a legacy going back generations. Bad egg Charley St. James thought he was successful, in silencing Angela forever. At the tail end of the final season the orders were once again given by Jane Wyman’s character, just as they had been for eight seasons before. “A toast to you, Falcon Crest and long may you live!”
    2) Sabella ‘Sable’ Scott Colby – DYNASTY: After THE COLBYS U.F.O finale of 1987 the leading woman Sable severed her 30 year tie with tycoon hubby Jason. Denver Colorado just had to get her. So in 1989 DYNASTY got the Sable factor and being that she was up against the woman herself Alexis (cousin), gave California’s oil saga a further injection of what it did best.
    3) Digger Barnes – DALLAS: David Wayne played the guzzling Barnes patriarch in the mini-series (DVD-1) and season one (DVD-2). How well he played the part cannot be questioned, IMHO. When Pam and Cliff’s father reappeared in season two (DVD-3) Keenan Wynn took on the role and did so for 10 episodes, ending in a death bed scene. In his death bed scene Digger confesses to Pamela about an incident years ago.
    4) Samantha Josephine ‘Sammy Jo’ Dean Carrington Fallmont - DYNASTY: Krystle’s niece was the gold digging model who provided an extra element to the younger generation, thus counter balancing the goings on between Krystle, Alexis and Blake. Sammy Jo first appeared in the 2nd season and was recurring until she returned with Steven’s son, named Danny.
    5) Gary Ewing – DALLAS: Gary was Ellie and Jock’s prodigal son, most famously acted by Ted Shackleford. While never much in the action of the Texas show because of his own spin off KNOTS LANDING he nevertheless was Ellie’s favourite and of course he spawned ‘The Poison Dwarf’ Lucy.

Angela and Chao-Li are enjoying their tea, in the Falcon Crest dining room. They talk about Angela being hospitalised in a coma, at the hands of Charley St. James, (a scene from season 9, 1989 – ’90):

Angela: “Oh it was like a dream but it was so real. Everybody was there; Maggie and Chase, Stavros and all the fighting and bickering was all gone. It was just laughter. Everything was filled with laughter. Ah well, I’m back now and we have a lot of work to do!”

Richard arrives for a bit of a yarn.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,002
    1: Angela Channing - not only did she look amazing for a woman who's just emerged from a six month coma (propping up the fireplace, bedecked in a blinged out jumper with a glass of wine in hand) but she wasted no time in re-entering the fray.

2: Sable Colby - how Dynasty got it's groove back. She really put the oomph back into a show that had become so deflated.

3: Abby Cunningham - Queen Abby comes home. Finale returns can feel a bit contrived at times but this was Knots so they made it work.

4: Sammy Jo Dean - building her presence and her power base with each return, I think her act of dropping in and out of the action for the first few years really worked for the character.

5: Fallon Carrington Colby - I might be bending the rules slightly with this one seeing as she came back from the dead between Dynasty and The Colbys but what I'm referring to is her return to Denver after The Colbys ended. If you're going to come home, why not come home in a UFO.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,845
    Awesome!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,159
    1. A very welcome Barbara Bel Geddes returned in 85-86. Hooray!!

2. Katherine returned to Dallas at the end of 84-85

3. Sable in Dynasty 88-89, she was so sharp. A more viewer friendly time slot and Stephanie would’ve helped this showed go on longer I suspect. The last season was great

4. Lusty Dusty returns to Dallas at the end of 84-85

5. Mitch returned to Dallas, even if it was to marry Lucy and leave again

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +477
    1 - Angela comes out of her coma, for the Falcon Crest finale.
    2 - JR returns from Europe, resolving the 1991 cliffhanger of Dallas.
    3 - Sable goes to Denver from California, in the final season of Dynasty.
    4 - Dusty looks at Sue Ellen drunk, in a Dallas bar.
    5 - Julia returns for a visit to Falcon Crest; the convent yearns for her and she leaves never to come back.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,845
    I understand that Angela's return was essential as it would have been very unsatisfactory to kill her off of-screen or to keep her in a coma indefinitely.
    Even if she only had appeared in the very last scene e.g. interrupting the others celebrating the fact that they could finally run Falcon Crest without being bossed around by the witch from the west, that would have been just fine with me.

But my pick from Falcon Crest would be Emma's uncharacteristic diva-esque return in season 2.
    upload_2018-5-11_20-21-15.png
    "Hello mother, how's tricks".

It's funny and it could almost be interpreted as an Alexis-spoof, but it isn't because Emma does it.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Saturday is your last day to vote for your favourite returns.

15. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,624
    1. Sable Colby - As others have pointed out she really put some life back into Dynasty. She made season 9 what it was.
    2. Sammy Jo Carrington - It was always fun when she would pop back on screen during Dynasty. I loved all her surprise pop ups until she became a series regular.
    3. Katherine Wentworth - Another one who delighted me when she would make surprise appearance on Dallas. This Diva never disappointed.
    4. Mitch Cooper - Damn he was fine! And then he went and became as successful plastic surgeon on top of it all. My Dallas dream boat.
    5. Abby Ewing - Abby rocks back into the Cul-de-sac and it's all just a little bit of history repeating...

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  16. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,417
    1. Gary on New DALLAS -- Ancient Gary in widescreen! And the timing couldn't have been more poignant.

[​IMG]

2. Richard on KNOTS -- I always loved him, but I didn't realise the show itself sufficiently valued him to bring him back for Episode 200 of all things, so that was kind of validating. And then just him still being him was so ... excellent. I feel similarly about Matthew's return on DYNASTY, except that he came back nuts. (And then there's New Matthew's return on New DYNASTY, which deserves a category all to itself.)

[​IMG]

3. Mandy Winger on New DALLAS -- The scene at JR's memorial service where she finally concedes that Sue Ellen was the winner, just as said winner is eyeing up a tray of drinks, says everything about everything. About how, ultimately, the whole notion of winning and losing is irrelevant: they both got to love him and that's enough.

[​IMG]

4. Vanessa Beaumont on DALLAS -- Now she's James's mama!

[​IMG]

5. Afton on New DALLAS -- Now she's Lilimae Clements in a Dolly Parton wig and "she's drama!"

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,889
    Wow.

And ha!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    1. Katherine Wentworth returns to mow down Bobby.
    2. Sable Colby returns to resuscitate Dynasty
    3. Kristin Shepard returns to drown in the pool.
    4. Sammy Jo Carrington returns to hit the jackpot.
    5. Richard Avery returns to get a few things off his mind.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    The results are in....

1. Sable Colby (Dynasty) 28 points

stephanie_beacham_gallery_6.jpg

2. Angela Channing (Falcon Crest) 21 points

Z8H-_dzQ_400x400.jpeg