1. Show your support for DALLAS in the battle of the soaps

The Character's Exit

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are experiencing some issues and there may be some downtime to correct this. Apologies for any inconvenience

Dismiss Notice

The right way to write a revival.

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by Seaviewer, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +968
    Original Member Since:
    14 September 2001
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Toni
    Artistic

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Original Member Since:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I was going to post the same thing here after watching that video, Seaviewer. It seems the writers know well what to do and what NOT to do in a Star Trek series. Hopefully they won´t have a duck pond there...

• Like Like x 3
  3. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    USA in general, more Alps-oriented this Autumn
    Ratings:
    +723
    I have nothing but contempt for Cidre, but to play devil's advocate here, can you really cry foul for ignoring canon when you have erased a whole year of your viewers' experience with a shower scene? ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. JR Ewing Fan

JR Ewing Fan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Original Member Since:
    I don't even remember. It's had to have been over a decade though.
    That's how I erase TNT Dallas from my memory.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Original Member Since:
    The Dallas revival just came around at the wrong time. There was no nostalgia build up or anything. The entire series should've been on Netflix and when it came to picking writers it should've been people familiar with the show. I don't want fanfic, but it literally wasn't even the same type of show. I love with the Dynasty reboot that the people writing it (who fans are STILL giving hell) are actual soap fans and more importantly--DYNASTY fans. They're not ashamed of the show and are embracing it. It's a remake so they don't have to tie it as closely to the original, but they still are. For one, instead of being lazy and making it all about Alexis as you'd expect, they're re-imagining the first season and making plans to introduce other threads later on. They're including call backs to the original and even have plans to use the original cast even though they absolutely don't have to. I can't even begin to imagine how Dallas TNT would've been with writers not ashamed of writing a soap, who knew how to follow through with a story (imagine Gary, Val and Lucy's return with actual story behind it, for example). I'm glad we got it because anything is better than nothing, but the ratings for the series premiere showed people were hungry for Dallas but it was just so bad they couldn't sustain it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +466
    As much as Cidre is to blame for such a shockingly bad continuation it's the TNT execs who made the biggest error. I can just imagine the board meeting now:

Exec 1 - "I have an idea, let's bring back Dallas!".
    Exec 2 - "What a fantastic idea, it was a global success...we will make millions selling it to other countries".
    Exec 3 - "It's a guaranteed hit, people loved that show".
    Exec 2 - "We'll sell the series as a package - they'll go for it coz they know they'll be buying a hit".
    Exec 1 - "We can bring back J.R, Bobby & Sue Ellen and then put a brand new cast around them".
    Exec 2 - "Are the others all dead now then?"
    Exec 1 - "No, but no one cares about the others, they're so old now theyu won't remember them anyway, though we could just bring a few back for pointless cameos".
    Exec 2 - "Who can we get to showrun it, it's got to be someone who knows the show".
    Exec 1 - "Hell no, everyone will have forgotten what the show was all about, let's just get any old sucker who wants a job".
    Exec 3- " Celia Cidre is available".
    Exec 2 - "Does she know anything at all about Dallas?"
    Exec 3 - "Absolutely nothing - she's probably never even heard of it".
    Exec 1 - "Perfect".

• Like Like x 6
  7. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,840
    Well that was just as unforgivable, which explains why many Dallas viewers began to look elsewhere for their entertainment.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,840
    Which baffles me to this day. When Dallas was green-lit by the powers that be, surely their expectations was, "We want this show to be a success." Isn't that the purpose of producing television? Why then would the producers not hire a history buff/consultant for Dallas. I can picture Cynthia Cidre & Co., sitting round the table conjuring up a continuation when suddenly the door opens. The Warner Bros. Executive casually walking down the hallway with nothing better to fulfill their day stuck their head in the door and said, "By the way. Ignore those stupid reunion movies." Picture the following scene;
    images.jpg
    Back to the drawing board, and just when Cynthia & Co. had their projected ratings up on the television screen. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Toni
    Artistic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Original Member Since:
    It shouldn´t be so hard to write a revival for "Dallas". At least, another one after the TNT débàcle. You only have to kill off BlandAnn and Elena, and forget everything about the Rylands. Then you have to begin to use logics and imagination, all mixed up with the 5 C´s (don´t be bad, I mean this!).

I know that this may be slightly off-topic, but I couldn´t help thinking of a song for the moment when / if they decide to make a (second) sequel to "Dallas". Maybe it should be a musical?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  10. JR Ewing Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Original Member Since:
    Yea and what was the point of Lucy and Ray being on the show? We know nothing more about them than before the TNT version began. They were just hanging around. Don't even know where they were living. Just bad.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. JR Ewing Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Original Member Since:
    As soon as they ignored the reunion movies they lost me. There was over a decade after those movies to come up with something fresh. After Dallas ended I waited for a reunion and then to tell me they never happened....get real.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,840
    So the writers for TNT Dallas were informed to ignore the reunion movies, I get that. But to then create a story based on the idea Cliff had developed this weird relationship with his daughter to exact revenge on the Ewing family was plain dumb. This scenario raised questions rather than create a true continuation of Dallas when it ended in 1991. How on Earth was it possible Christopher knew nothing of his cousin, because she was. What was Cliff's reasoning for wanting to wipe the Ewing family off the face of the Earth?

Most of us are aware Cynthia & Co., did not watch all of Lorimar Dallas so minor or major plot points could have been missed but this still doesn't explain her creating the vile Cliff. What was her reasoning for this? Like many issues which arose from TNT Dallas there was no explanation forthcoming. I could have driven a Mack truck through the TNT Dallas scripts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. tommie
    Brooding

tommie Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,245
    Original Member Since:
    I dunno
    I think the "Pambecca wants revenge" plot in retrospect isn't bad just how they went about it - first of all, they should've dropped that they didn't know who she was. It would've created a more interesting dynamic anyway, because besides Christopher, there'd be a question who in the family would trust her? We also could've seen some conflict in Pambecca herself - is this what she really wants? Cliff could've also been conflicted about the whole plan to bring them down. And of course, we'd need a reasonable motive for them wanting revenge on the Ewings.

But Cidre is a plot-based writer. She doesn't really cares why her characters do things, just that they do them. I can see why she said she's more of a crime writer because a lot of crimes are seemingly pointless, but it doesn't create an interesting longrunning tv series where we are supposed to care about the characters involved.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +968
    Original Member Since:
    14 September 2001
    As hated as the dream explanation is, at least it was stated in continuity. The TNT show had no such explanations.

I don't want fanfic either. I don't even mind the Rylands or the crime-based plotting. I just don't want outright contradictions of what went before.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +968
    Original Member Since:
    14 September 2001
    Here's another good one:

Girl Meets World has been running here for a little while now - it's a follow-up to the nineties series Boy Meets World and as far as I'm concerned they've done everything right.

1. Focus on the next generation with two likeable leads
    2. Logical use of the original stars in a supporting roles
    3. Frequent guest appearances of other original characters where appropriate
    4. Most Important - not only honouring the history of the original show but building upon it.

Tellingly, it is produced by the original creators but that should not be necessary if they do their homework.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Toni
    Artistic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Original Member Since:
    The "Roseanne" producers have said they´ll ignore the last episode of the original series but they will somehow "explain" how they fixed the story so they could continue in the line of that sitcom. This will imply "resurrecting" (in one way or another, maybe the last minutes of the show were a dream...) John Goodman´s character.

Also, Ilene Chalkien, one of the "Empire" coproducers, is lobbying for a re-tooling of her biggest hit on her own, which ended with a last 8-episode season around the murder of the character played by Mia Kirshner. Since this is one of the most popular characters among the original audiences, they seem to have decided that the last season will also be "ignored" too.

Would this be a good way to continue TNT "Dallas" (or just another sequel to our series) by ignoring the dreadful last season and keeping Christopher "Creepster" alive, John Ross and PamBecca happily married (and both free of any potential sister (and Emma, too, is possible)), Bobby haunted by Pam´s memory after knowing she is dead (it already happened to him with the Jeanne O´Brien character) and Sue Ellen remaining sober thanks to JR´s letter? Elena and family would be recycled in a telenovela...

Just a few thoughts. It seems to me better than what we got. Ray and Jenna and Lucas could still come back, and in one piece because la Cidre didn´t have enough time to destroy them too...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The marketing people and creative team could stay for the ad campaign though...​

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,840
    Well here is an interesting article just recently published in the New York Post;

I picked up on this article as it was re-published here in Australia. Guess what? I actually agree with the article. That said, viewers today tend to be a forgiving bunch and will tune in regardless. The major issue I have with Will & Grace is Sean Hayes is the youngest at 47! How on earth are the writers going to bluff their way into having the audience believe the characters of Will & Grace need to be living together again, and acting like they're still in their 30's? I think I'll let sleeping dogs lie on this one.

As for Roseanne? Again it's an insult to viewers intelligence to suspend their original belief Dan had actually died. I'm guessing because Roseanne has been off the air long enough their hoping today's viewers had forgotten how it all ended.

With regards to the New York Post article it mentions the following; "Just ask the geniuses who launched the failed reboots of Kojak (2005), Charlie’s Angels (2011) and Ironside (2013)."

Though TNT Dallas went for 3 seasons I'd also add it as a failed continuation. We all know why it failed, it's why I like visiting this site to discuss such matters. Dallas is just not an American brand, it's an international brand, it crosses borders and cultures. So few programs manage to do this. I have not idea what the rating numbers were for TNT Dallas when it premiered here in Oz. But I do know what those numbers were when it premiered in America and for a cable network they were pretty good. The issue was the writers and producers tried to be too clever and hoodwink the viewing public. Retro-fitting characters into the Dallas timeline was dumb..plain dumb. The moment this - and other events transpired - I knew instantly we were in for another bumpy ride. How could you get this so wrong...again.

If I had the opportunity of resurrecting Dallas I would accept TNT Dallas as canon rather than pi$#ing off fans from the get-go. I would leave Christopher dead (sorry guys) and commence the story from whenever it was to be produced. I would have Bobby as custodian of Southfork, still married to Ann (I'm probably one of the few that liked her). There will be no Harris Ryland, Mama Ryland or Emma. Dispensed with, same goes for that gaunt looking Elena and the whole Ramos family. I'm still in two minds about Pamela Rebecca but I suppose I'd retain her for that connection to the Barnes family. Speaking of Barnes. I'd open with a funeral scene of Cliff. Cynthia Cidre created a monster there in which there is no coming back. Besides, we don't need him as JR is no longer with us. John Ross (married to Pamela Rebecca with twins, a boy and girl) is steering Ewing Energies successfully, with guidance from Bobby. Sue Ellen resides at Southfork, as a devoted mother and grandmother. Ray is back, managing the ranch after his divorce from Jenna. She remains in Europe and I do don't wish to have Priscilla Presley reprise the role looking the way she does today - harsh but true. But where is Lucas? Donna has returned to Dallas to assist her daughter Margaret (Maggie) who is seeking to run as a Congresswoman. All appears well in the Ewing world....but this is Dallas.

From his hospital bed a sinister elderly man speaks to a young man. "Take everything I've taught you. Use my wealth and knowledge to destroy those who denied you your birth right." With his last dying breath he whispers..."You are the son I never had...Lucas......" And with that Jeremy Wendell passes away.

This time it's Ewing vs Ewing...

18. Elizabeth Ewins

Elizabeth Ewins Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Well I like that! But but I would have a different way of getting rid of Elena. Elena dies in childbirth. Her mother moves back to mexico.Her child is determined to be christophers. Bobby and Anne raise Christophers baby! The rest keep! Make sure that whoever produces and writes it loves it. Have a standard of love I would like it to be like the level of love star wars revival has.

19. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Original Member Since:
    Jan 2012
    I certainly agree with keeping my it Dallas TNT cannon and in fact in the first few eposode I'd make it clear that the movies are cannon and the Dream season is canon - John Ross knew it was Pamela the whole time and no one listened him and Bobby was in a car accident and in a comma for a year sort of stuff. I would of get held down on the details but I'd make it clear that BS of watching only to be deceived is over.

The only explination I can come up with for Cliff is a Falcon Crest style sinister group trying to contol the Wentworth fortune - maybe a special drill bit. I know it's soapy but it's a soap. Cliff had to get the methane extraction and Pam and Katherine aren't dead but who knows what happened to them. And Chris is a comma - reminiscent of his dad's explication for the dream season. Wrap up that mess quick I say but wrap it up don't erase it.

Then what's left:

Harris Ryland back in prison - it was part of JR's master piece.

Judith Brown is a US senator mention not seen and an ally of John Rosses.

Emma is in England, an Olympic gold mentalist equestrian.

I too liked Ann and wouldn't mind her staying, if they can get the actress, if not, she can be said to be living with Emma or died as is the norm for Bobby's wives. I liked her bland and motherly, but she must be motherly to everyone of the "kids."

Bobby would have to go back to being Bobby. I could live with it without his character. He could go with Ann and Emma.

I wouldn't even explain Elena - leave her and that baby as a teaser.

I could take or leave Chris as well. I secretly always wanted a plot where he turns out to really be JRs son, but I could live with out it and him. He was smart. He doesn't have to be perfect and do no wrong.

Sue Ellen is a MUST and must live at Southfork - not unheard of for the mother to move in.

John Ross and Cally's son were always essential to me (with at least a mention of James at some point). JRs masterpiece must have recreated some form or Ewing Oil - like a couple of young Koch Brothers. They were JR's legacy - one who knew his father trying to be the better man, more like Jock, one who didn't know him, who turns out more like JR, but more bitter and John Ross always forging his brother. The ranch must also be John Ross's - JR promised him the ranch and the business.

I liked Pamela as John Ross's wife. I could have seen her more like Abbey Ewing than like Miss Ellie or Sue Ellen. A touch of Rebecca Wentworth in her. Certainly somewhere they had to build a lasting love story and this was a chance, they just wouldn't do it. And they needed and still need kids.

Now who to add:

I like Margret, a political player like her mom and Donna would have made a better mother figure to the whole family than Ann did anyway (Sue Ellen was too glamorous to be motherly to me). And Lucas, and I agree with not bringing back Jenna. I'd almost like to see her killed off and Lucas raised with Donna as a mother figure as Ray tried to put his life back together. I'd like to see an Anderson, as in Punk and Mavis. And I'd like to see the Wendell's - a new Feud to replace the Barnes Feud except this time the Wendell's are the Goliath ones not the Ewing's. I also like JR's ghost - they set it up where he had time to plan, JR could send letters to John Ross for years.

Who else?

I wouldn't mind seeing JR's daughter, maybe 1/2 Wendell or Holly Harwood's daughter or Katherine Wentworth's.

I liked Drew Ramos. Maybe he had a twin brother - and make Carmen Teresa's sister.

I liked Carlos DelSol - but more as JRs friend, thus buddy buddy with John Ross not Bobby and Sue Ellen. Maybe that's John Ross's wife Marta or another of Carlos's daughters and Pamela's more an Alexis character with twin children, need John Ross IV and a little Fallon type.

Don Lockwood to guest star.

John Ross's boarding school buddies and old flames.

I'd like to see Betsy and Bobby show up as well and make more of Lucy - she'd make a great and colorful matriarch.

Lots of ideas they can still mine and obviously from their initial ratings lots of interest. It just has to be done with loyalty to the brand (including the house) not another show that happens to use a few Ewing's like a bad spin off.