The Rise and Fall of Karen Cellini

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Brian Carrington Colby, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    I said it then, I say it now: it's as if DYNASTY was written and run by children. Just children.

It's amazing, really, the raging creative pathologies which took this series with more potential than any you'd ever seen and just turned it into deranged slop. Just slop!
    And symptomatic of the show as a whole.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,980
    I suspected that there were cut scenes - I assume that the boating accident was to happen off screen to avoid having to pay Cellini for another appearance and save money on shooting an actual boat crash. I guess her fate would've been vague like it was with Fallon.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,098
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    upload_2018-6-9_0-46-44.jpeg
    Amanda seems to have been found...finally.​

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Because at this point Fallon was Uber pissed off at her for the way she was treating Blake and I'm assuming that Alexis disowned her for these feelings.

5. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,065
    I honestly think I would have rather have had an Amanda murder mystery than the two A Love Remembered episodes.
    Add in those two cut Wayne Northrop scenes, have the boat accident happen off camera. Talk of a storm or whatever then we have Michael come back in the trashed boat, bloody and dishevelled and no Amanda. Make it kinda like Natalie Wood and Robert Wagner. He cant remember what happened, doctors say he sustained a head injury. He has scratches on his face that appear to have been made by Amanda. Then the old man is brought in as a witness, he testifies that he saw Michael argue with Amanda, that she appeared frightened, that he warned Michael the weather was too bad for an inexperienced sailor, bla, bla, bla. After a short trial, Michael is convicted of her murder or manslaughter and goes to prison. Amanda is presumed dead. There is a memorial service at the Carrington chapel which somebody refuses to attend for some stupid Dynasty reason.

Then in the next episode we see a blonde woman filmed from behind at the airport. She's boarding a flight to London and as she shows her British passport the Stewardess smiles and says "Thank you Miss Bedford, enjoy your flight".

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,152
    Actually, you had said something many octaves funnier--that they were throwing whatever shit they found against the wall and then would use the things that didn't stick.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    Folks, it's all in the execution. Almost any storyline -- even UFOs -- can work depending on how it's done. Just as the most grounded plotline can seem ridiculous when implemented childishly.

And that was oldDYNASTY's problem: everyone seemed lobotomized.

[​IMG]

8. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +297
    How about Amanda's body is found and, like the Wood/Wagner case, no charges are brought against Culhane because of lack of evidence. And since you never saw what happened off screen, you never knew, either. Truly kill off a Carrington child.

9. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,152
    DYNASTY abandoned realistic characters and emotions for wild and camp, and it worked for a while. Claudia losing the doll and sending her down from the roof was such a classic camp DYNASTY moment. Steven and Blake discussing how difficult it is to be father and son in S1 was a realistic moment. But then by season 4 the show did not know which was which. Peter de Vilbis is such an example: he needed to be wild, but instead he was brought in simply so Fallon would appreciate the black hole of personality that was Jeff, and Fallon was simply preaching against drugs. It was playing camp as realistic because by then they had no sense of either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +297

This scene is just......bizarre........on so many levels.......

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,152
    On the one hand, they do look a bit like sisters (and Oxenberg looked more like sisters with Martin, though they only met in the FiLoLi special). Also, they share the same facial paralyzing illness that distorts their expressions. Yet somehow with Cellini's all over the map acting and Samms' infantilized version of the character, Fallon looks younger than Amanda here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +297
    I know Donna Reed from "Dallas" complained of "monster lighting."

Well, if that were true, this scene screams it RE: KC!

13. Ked

Ked Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,298
    Yes, poor Karen was subjected to either bad lighting or bad hair/makeup, or both, in a lot of her episodes. Although I always thought she looked young in this one scene that was sadly taken down off youtube. It had her in a blue silk robe, and her hair/makeup was just right so that I think she would have at least looked the same age as Emma. At least then it'd be realistic for either of them to be the younger sister. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  14. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +297
    "Monster lighting," indeed!!!
    IMG_20180614_213145_edit_edit.png

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018 at 5:35 AM
  15. Ked

Ked Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,298
    Plus the hair above her ear looks gray, making her look like she should be playing Francesca Colby and not Katharine Ross.

16. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,980
    I very much doubt that they would commit to doing that realistically - I mean, even Claudia's death was probably purposefully vague (she was only identified via the ring on her finger a la Fallon) so I imagine they wouldn't do that, even if it was only Amanda. I imagine the scenario where the body is never found is more likely knowing the Dynasty writers.

17. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,152
    In her case, unavoidable to light the monster once they cast it.

18. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,065
    Awe that's not fair. I really do feel bad for Cellini in all of this. None of it was her fault at all. It's sort of similar to how it went with Emma Samms too. They came in and did what they were told by the production staff. They had no control over their characters personality or even their look. Weirdly they insisted on colouring Cellini's hair the exact shade of blonde to be Amanda. And yet, perplexingly, with Samms they just gave her an orange bubble perm, not at all like Fallon's hair.

Again they wrote the character of Amanda totally differently once they had a new actress playing her. The same as they did with Fallon. Amanda went from being a spoiled, pouty and sulky young woman to being an oddly perky and optimistic business woman. Overnight! Fallon went from being a snappy, sassy and often brittle Daddy's girl to being a totally dependant damsel in distress who had a penchant for chunky sweaters.

Both actresses were victims here. Only Samms was able to fair better due to having a lot of acting experience prior to Dynasty, including a run on a successful daytime soap where she undoubtedly learned a lot. Samms also benefited from being almost immediately shipped off to Colby Land where she wasn't as jarring and different among the regular Dynasty cast.
    Over on The Colbys, Samms was initially to be the centre of the Spin Off, however Bast and Huson were quick enough to realise that that was never going to be the case so they really downplayed Fallon and took the show in far more exciting directions.

That's the difference here, the Dynasty producers were always very quick to place blame on someone when their decisions weren't working out. Too lazy to actually try to fix a situation and too mean to want to. I have said it before but it's almost like they resented the actors they had cast. They hated that they were necessary for the show to be a hit.
    They held the cast in contempt. They were all replaceable, and indeed all four Carrington children eventually were replaced.

Cellini was a F**k Up, yes, but she was their F**k Up. And they made her the fall girl. They threw her under the bus and probably damaged her career as an actress permanently. They cast the wrong girl, because she apparently (I never saw it) looked a little like Oxenberg, they didn't care how she acted at all. And then when her acting wasn't what they wanted they sacked her and blamed her and her acting. Morons!

It all goes so deep though. They could have worked something out with Al Corly, they should never have let him go, he was too good an actor. They could have and should have appeased Pamela Sue Martin, better scripts, a better love interest, a lighter work load, they just didn't care. They should have given Oxenberg a raise without her even having to ask for one. Her storyline basically gave them their much coveted #1 show in America rating, finally. With Oxenberg gone the writing for Amanda had better be very good or what's the point? But no, they recast her with an actress they hadn't any faith in, because she looked a little like her and gave her a recycled plot line that nobody cared about. Don't even get me started on what they did with Gordon Thompson in The Reunion. Pamela Bellwood was sacked for being pregnant? I mean, the Dynasty scripts where that tightly plotted and written that they couldn't have accommodated her? They retooled and rewrote constantly when it suited themselves. The cast, the ones everyone was tuning in for every week were merely annoying devices that were some how necessary to keep the ball rolling.

Urrggghhhhhh Sorry for the rant. I hadn't thought about all of this for a long time.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  19. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,148
    No worries, thoughts like these are always of interest for other Dynasty fans. :)
    I wish someone from the US would contact Virginia Hawkins (Jeanette) and interview her about all these Dynasty things, she's been there from season one till the very last scene of season nine. An interview with her and William Beckley (Gerard) would be so much fun! :danc:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    It was hard to tell if Cellini actually received monster lighting because S7 was in the middle of that two-year period where the original broadcast prints we so splotchy and grainy and washed out, you could barely tell who you were looking at.

Don't apologize. You nailed it.

• Agree Agree x 2