SoapLand - The Battle Of The Scenery - The Result

Discussion in 'SoapLand - The Battles' started by Willie Oleson, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,222
    What soap had the most beautiful scenery, or used it better than the other ones?

upload_2018-8-15_2-54-1.png

This is not about the mansions because we've already done that, but the surrounds also count as scenery.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,433
    Return to Eden. Set in Stunning Sydney Harbour. This would possibly be the most filmed on location soap opera ever?? During the entire series, exteriors were regular used and filmed outside. Not to mention the incredible Australian outback for the mini series Eden. Superbly crafted into the show like a stand alone and woven in Magnificant character in itself. It all became part of the story, the story was almost written around the setting. The whole look and effect was sumptuous. So definitely the best scenery for a soap for me :)

Dynasty, on the other hand, rarely went off set so not much scenery there ;-) Joan Collins wardrobe was a visual symphony though ;-)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,949
    I hope I'm submitting my nominations correctly....[mod edit: No, I didn't--d'ohhh]

So basically my votes are (in the format of others' votes)
    1. Knots Landing
    2. Falcon Crest
    3. Dallas
    and I will add...
    4. Dynasty
    5. The Colbys --DA

1. The Lotus Point Exteriors, Knots Landing. They seamlessly edited together basic scenes filmed at a suburban country club with cinematic exteriors filmed in Oregon and northern California to create a mythical resort where everyone wanted to be. At least until the arsenic started leaking into the water supply. :eek:

2. The Falcon Crest vineyards. The early years were helped a great deal by the characters depicted out in the vineyards doing actual work. When the show stopped having those scenes, it became just another "rich people arguing in their big house" show.

3. Gary's ranch, KL. It defied the conventions of "rich people arguing in their big house" by not being opulent or even photogenic. It was the exteriors/grounds that provided the nice views, and of course all that shade. In hot, dry, overcrowded California, Gary's ranch provided a quiet, shady locale that felt like an oasis.

4. The cul-de-sac, KL. Sure, no one from House Beautiful was going to be showing up to do a photo essay, but having the characters share front yards and a driveway gave the best opportunity for community...and of course the chance to snoop in each other's business.

5. Southfork's grounds, Dallas...simply because I needed a fifth to complete my list, and I believe others will agree with me. :D

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
  4. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,491
    1. FALCON CREST - the vineyards in the Tuscany Valley made a stunning backdrop to the series.
    [​IMG]

2. FLAMINGO ROAD - the palm tree lined roads of Truro, Florida
    [​IMG]

3. KNOTS LANDING - the beaches were a great place to run, paddle in the sea or to find a body.
    [​IMG]

4. DALLAS - the cityscape featured in the opening titles and provided establishing shots for many locations.
    [​IMG]

5. THE YELLOW ROSE - the Texan ranch was as much a star of the show as the actors.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
  5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,222
    I was thinking about all exteriors used in the soaps, not just one particular location.
    But I can still use your list of preferences, I will count each soap only once.

Sorry for the confusion.

6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,388
    No contest.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,283
    1 - Paper Dolls: for all of it's faults, one of the areas that PD excelled in was it's location shoots around New York City. The city was another character on the show. People went running in Central Park, had business lunches on skyscraper rooftop restaurants and Morgan Fairchild sauntered around the city streets, clad in furs. In a time when the city scenes on the other soaps could've been interchangeable, PD's gave you a real sense of location.

2 - Knots Landing: of the Big 4, I feel it was the best at doing outdoor scenes. Early on, the beach was utilised to great effect and later the rolling fields of Gary's ranch and Greg's home added to the feel that the show's universe had expanded.

3 - Flamingo Road: simple location shooting on the small town streets and at sweaty swamps added to the show's tropical sleaze factor that set it apart from the other soaps.

4 - Falcon Crest: the rolling vistas of Tuscany Valley were beautiful when seen and gave me a sense of the vast kingdom of grapes that Angela was trying to rule.

5 - Dallas: my recollection is that much of the action was based around the house and the offices but the occasional trips out into the further reaches of Southfork's lands, usually provided characters with a tranquil oasis away from whatever madness was going on in the house that week.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,222
    I hate you. Forever.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,222
    I totally agree.
    I found KL's indoor sets the most "American" looking, but the scenery seemed a little bit (or a lot) of everything and because of that I've never managed to grasp the sense of place, eventhough they always did beautiful exterior scenes.
    I love the Southern Cross land. The mansion itself isn't very impressive by Soap standards, and the gardens aren't that great either.
    And yet there is something-something about it that totally works for me. A tranquil oasis, as you put it.
    [​IMG]
    It's that combination of big and understatement-tiny, I find it fascinating.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,949
    Well, I guess I totally misunderstood what we were going for. :sorry:

11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,222
    *looks at the soapchat jury*
    What do you think, should we forgive Daniel Avery?
    [​IMG]

Cool!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,400
    1. Falcon Crest with it's vineyard. I don't like the actual beverage myself, but a vineyard is a gorgeous backdrop.
    2. Dallas with it's ranches and also the skyscrapers. But especially the ranches I find charming. It's the nature and sense of freedom.
    3. Dynasty, though I don't remember all that much of the exterior.
    4. The Colbys, cause Dynasty's was better.
    5. Knots Landing, sorry, but the beach and an ordinary street do very little for me in summertime. I get those exteriors in real life.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  13. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,491
    Thanks for clarifying, I've amended my votes accordingly.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,705
    1. Knots Landing
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    The signature cul de sac may be rather prosaic compared with the mansions of the other series, but at least on Knots we got to be outdoors on a regular basis from beginning to end. And it had that dramatic Granada Hills backdrop which was all part of the appeal for this viewer. It helped that the outdoor scenes were actually filmed in the Southern California setting (and even the interiors felt more truthful on that level, unlike Dynasty and, for the most part, Dallas*).

The beach scenes score for actually giving one of their characters (Val) an emotional connection to the ocean in the first episode.

But it’s the Lotus Point settings of the middle years that really swings it for me here.

*Knowing that Dallas and Dynasty filmed all their interiors and a number of their exteriors over a thousand miles from where the characters were meant to be loses them points

2. Falcon Crest
    [​IMG]
    Tuscany Valley looks absolutely stunning. Mouthwateringly green and lush.

Other posters’ comments have sold my next two choices. I’m taking them on trust as I know you wouldn't lie to me.

3. Flamingo Road

4. Paper Dolls

5. Dallas

The ranch is iconic and the carefully placed exteriors shot in the titular city look great. It’s just a shame the rather naff soundstage was increasingly used as the seasons went by, making the series feel quite claustrophobic.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,222
    1. Falcon Crest

The estate and vineyards are indeed breathtaking, but what I liked the most about Falcon Crest was the atmosphere they had created for their "Tuscany Valley".
    I find it America at its most idyllic, and the way the different locations are connected makes sense, or at least that's how it feels.
    Heck, even San Francisco looks like that-town-on-the other-side-of-the-bridge and it never gave me the idea of a disjointed, isolated location.
    As a result, there's a strong sense of community that the other soaps didn't have - and I mean the whole place, not just the neighbours.

upload_2018-8-16_23-55-2.png upload_2018-8-16_23-55-20.png
    upload_2018-8-16_23-55-36.png upload_2018-8-16_23-55-48.png
    upload_2018-8-16_23-56-7.png upload_2018-8-16_23-56-25.png
    The sun always did his best to give the valley that little bit of special sunshine (did Jacqueline Perrault own the sun? Yeah I'm sure she did) and I'd be hard-pressed to choose between Tuscany Valley and Peyton Place.
    Needless to say, it didn't look this good in the later seasons. Suddenly there was a Del'Oro Spa (I was told that it's actually located in the Napa Valley) and it looked great for The Colbys but not for Falcon Crest.
    Presentation and suggestion are very important.

2. Knots Landing

I still think it was too much all over the place, location wise. How long does it take to drive from the cul-de-sac to Gary's ranch or the Sumner Ranch? 10 minutes? 4 hours?
    I have absolutely no idea where is what.
    But all these beautiful outdoor scenes - not to mention the beautiful cinematography - enhanced the script and story.
    Even from the inside you could still see the seagulls.
    upload_2018-8-17_0-34-47.png
    (Were the seagulls on Abby's payroll? Yeah I'm sure they were)

3. Paper Dolls

Dack Rambo and Morgan Fairchild sleaze up the high life in NYC. Definitely not the suburbs, darling.

4. Flamingo Road

I would describe the atmosphere as suffocating, and I think it suits the story and its characters. And if you don't believe me, ask Annabelle Troy.
    upload_2018-8-17_1-5-31.png

5. Dallas

And suddenly there was a soap that we could touch and smell, in widescreen - and Texan stories should always be widescreen (not like these edited images)
    upload_2018-8-17_1-13-27.png upload_2018-8-17_1-14-39.png
    upload_2018-8-17_1-14-55.png upload_2018-8-17_1-31-50.png
    I like the late-summer/early-fall colours of new Dallas. I never think of it as a beautiful place, but it's a great place for beautiful people with dirty minds.

I don't know how to rank THE YELLOW ROSE because it was never un-scenic.
    And DYNASTY had some great scenery too, I found it rather believable as that soap-in-the-mountains.
    upload_2018-8-17_1-41-7.png upload_2018-8-17_1-41-20.png

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,018
    I'm not saying they were, and I'm not saying they weren't. But I am saying she could have a seagull on her payroll anytime she wanted.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,222
    And storks too, but I think that was just a rumour.
    [​IMG]

18. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,018
    Is that a stork kidnapping Val's babies?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,222
    I wouldn't dare to suggest something like that. The stork is probably...confused (or amnesiac).

20. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,949
    The stork was in way too deep to his bookie, having mortgaged the nest to bet on tournament bridge games. Or something.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018