SoapLand - The Battle Of The Season Premieres - The Result

Discussion in 'SoapLand - The Battles' started by Richard Channing, Nov 13, 2018.

?

Favourite Pilot episode?

1. Falcon Crest

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Dynasty

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Knots Landing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Dallas

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. The Colbys

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Flamingo Road

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Return To Eden

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,039
    Medals:
    And I look forward to hearing about it when you do.

It did for me as well, and I'd watched Old DALLAS from start to finish about a million times.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,092
    Medals:
    Maybe I'll watch it as a John Ross/Christopher prequel series ("how it all began")
    But will I be able to spot little Drew and little Elena? YouTube has these videos with "spooky things you probably hadn't noticed before" so...who knows.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    1. I’m not sure if it counts, but if the Dallas mini-series counts then hopefully this one does too, episode one of the mini-series of Return to Eden. Pretty much right up there as possibly my favourite episode of any television show ever apart from the maybe Swan Song in Dallas. I was so hooked and utterly riveted by this episode. So much happened in it and it was unlike anything before or since. LOVED IT! I was fair cheering for Rebecca Gilling here :)

2. The maxi series of Return of Eden. Yay it’s back up and rolling as a full season! Now it’s a soap not a drama. It wasn’t as good as some of the later episodes in this series but I was soooo happy it was back on tv.

3. Alexis walks in the courtroom in that fabulous hat and suit and Joan Collins becomes a superstar. This show comes alive.

4. 84-85 opener of Dallas, where we say good bye to Afton and the who shot Bobby but was it meant for JR? intrigue. The show was still on track here

5. For giggles, I have to mention the Dallas season opener where Sue Ellen went to the hairdressers late at night to look her best (well to have her locks removed) for unconscious Cliff in hospital. That caused me great hilarity. And it was the first cliffhanger resolve to what could literally be called ‘CLIFF-hanger’

Ironically enough, if this was about the worst season openers, I would say the follow ons from two of the best ever cliffhangers...

The Dynasty massacre went from ‘Wow!!!’ to ‘what??!!’ in the abysmal follow up. I mean really? Even the priest and the odd guy that arranged the massacre still survived AND were uninjured even though they clearly got shot (if it wasn’t Dex)

And the other soap atrocity after such a splendid humdinger of a cliffhanger ‘it was just a bad dream’. Oh dear. What a cop out Bobby

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 7
  4. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,092
    Medals:
    Absolutely, but it was also the beginning of Sammy Jo's evil scheme to replace her aunt with an impostor[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,271
    DYNASTY: "See how much I can make the show's name notorious. Nobody can top that." DALLAS: "Hold my beer."

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,839
    Medals:
    Not quite the first...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,871
    Medals:
    1. Knots Landing "The Vigil" (S3/ep1): Sid had indeed gone over the cliff to give KL its first soapy cliffhanger, but what gives this season premiere the top spot in my book is the "mis-direct" of Sid surviving the crash. Too often, soaps have this tendency to use jeopardy as an all-or-nothing situation: your character either dies immediately, or they are miraculously saved and the whole situation forgotten within an episode or two. When Sid was pulled from the wreckage (by Lt. Worf, no less) and seen alive in the hospital (and still in the opening credits!), we thought he would be up and out of there before Halloween like so many soap characters before him. But of course The Show had other ideas.

2. Knots Landing "Just Disappeared, Pt. 1" (S8/ep1): They'd done a "less is more" approach to Karen's kidnapping in the previous episode, so I wanted a LOT of answers when they picked up season eight. In addition to seeing who had kidnapped Karen (even if we didn't know him), we got more background on this strange Paige person who had suspiciously shown up just as Karen disappeared.
    Greg plotting to bankrupt Lotus Point and its owners by dragging out the toxic waste cleanup as long as possible also made the viewer wonder if co-owner Karen was kidnapped as part of that plot.
    The entire set-up with the kidnapper putting Karen in a tastefully overdone room (complete with slippers in her size) told us we were in for a different kind of hostage situation.

3. Knots Landing "The People Vs. Gary Ewing" (S5/ep1): We knew Gary was innocent, and it seemed he couldn't care less. If not for a lawyer who refused to be fired by Gary's "friend" Abby, Gary might have actually ended up on trial. Instead, the charges were dropped in rapid order and Abby's scheme (to have him committed to a sanitarium) was exposed. Val's "meet-cute" with Ben at the courthouse promised a new story for her; Laura was stuck having to tell Jason his father had deserted them, but the overall feeling was that Laura was on the verge of a better life without him.

4. Falcon Crest (S9/ep1) Can't recall the episode title, but I will never forget the shock of Maggie dying in the pool. It is the first shot in the veritable firing squad that FC was subjected to during that final season.

5. Knots Landing "A Brand New Day" (S4/ep1): It really did feel like a page had been turned during the summer. Val had left Gary and was living at the beach (in the Bates Motel:eek:), while Karen lets her opinion be known by firing Gary from Knots Landing Motors. We also found out that the men who had Sid killed were not convicted, so Karen barges into the prosecutor's office and ends up ripping her future husband, Mack a new one. Of course she doesn't know this will be her future squeeze, but the way they keep arguing, the viewer knows. I also loved the empowering scene of Val taking back "her" house (I mean, really! Gary cheated on her--why should SHE be the one to move out?) and dumping every stick of that ticky-tacky Southfork cast-off furniture on the lawn.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
  8. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +8,963
    Medals:
    1. Digger's Daughter (Dallas)
    This one make my list since I began watching Dallas towards the end. So all the while I watched the final four seasons I always wondered about the beginning and wanted the show to be rerun. So when this episode came on about three years later I was really happy to watch it and it's a great episode. It's amazing how young everyone was. It becomes even more obvious when you watch it back to back with the season premiere of Dallas TNT which I did once when I showed both episodes to a friend's daughter. But yeah the pilot episode does a great job of introducing all of the characters. They were multi layered and interesting right from the start.

2. The Longest Day (Knots Landing)
    Maybe this is so high on my list since I spent three years waiting to watch it due to Swedish TV3 leaving us on the cliffhanger from the season before it. Besides everyone wanted Val to get her babies back and this episode took some steps towards that. Also the drama was great since it made you also feel sorry for the people who had raised the babies as their own.

3. Return to Camelot (Dallas)

I loved that Bobby was back. Bye, bye dream season and Bobby & Pam back together again. The first time I watched this episode I loved it so much that I immediately rewatched it later the same day.

4. The Vigil (Knots Landing)
    Sid is at the hospital. There's some great drama in this episode and how the world just stops when you get bad news.

5. After the fall: Ewing rises (Dallas)

This makes my list since it's the first full episode of Dallas that I ever watched. Pam's car crash was what got me hooked on this show. Also finally my parents allowed me to watch it and I could read the subtitles fast enough to actually enjoy it. I had tried to watch an episode at a friend's house about 1 ½ years before but didn't enjoy it since I couldn't read the subtitles before they disappeared so I didn't understand much and it annoyed me.

• Like Like x 8
  9. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +8,963
    Medals:
    But wasn't this episode broadcast a year after JR was shot?

10. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,839
    Medals:
    Yes, it was.

Is that significant?

11. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,872
    Medals:
    1) DALLAS 'No More Mister Nice Guy', (season 3; DVD - 4, 1980 - '81): Well after 'the son of a gun' was shot this episode wasn't going to the most fire cracking. However Jock gave Sue Ellen a dressing down, Cliff was acting suspiciously (among others) and Bobby was on his way to KNOTS LANDING territory, along with Pam.
    2) DYNASTY 'Enter Alexis', (season 2, 1981 - '82): The first episode for Joan Collins as Alexis and what an episode that was. DYNASTY for the eighties had just gotten a new megastar. Blake's first wife became a super bitch character and an icon the world over, for almost 8 years and there are a few to equal her even today.
    3) DALLAS 'After the Fall: Ewing Rise', (season 10; DVD - 11, 1987 - '88): Yep Pam was burnt to a crisp from her collision with the oil tanker and the viewers soon got to see the mummified Mrs. Ewing (all bandaged up and maybe a new actress could play the part, down the road). IMHO Pam was a much missed character.
    4) FALCON CREST 'Cimmerean Dawn', (season 3, 1983 - '84): We finally discovered who was in the coffin. Fr. Curtis was presiding over the burial. The granny 'who took the limo' to go to the loo' was unfortunately deceased. Just let Richard throw a chair or two around and then calm down to visit Julia, who is now a jail bird.
    5) THE COLBYS 'The Celebration', (season 1, 1985 - '86): DYNASTY in the height of it's popularity deserved a spin-off and my God what a spin-off. The supermanesque opening titles sound was combined with a mixture of lavishness; an ageing Barbara Stanwyck and Charlton Heston plus Stephanie Beacham as the leading characters, portraying the filthy rich Jason/Sable married couple but was all as it seemed?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  12. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +8,963
    Medals:
    Well it would have been if the person in question had referred to "Who Shot JR" which I thought that quote was in reference to. I've heard people call it "the first cliffhanger" before. But reading the original post I see it is a reference to a later episode when Cliff was at the hospital and Sue Ellen had cut her hair at the hospital.

This reminds me of the time when Abby cut her hair in the car in the middle of the Marc St. Claire drama! ;)

13. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +833
    Medals:
    1. Digger's Daughter - Dallas
    2. Cimmerean Dawn - Falcon Crest
    3. Enter Alexis - Dynasty
    4. Opening Moves - Falcon Crest
    5. No More Mister Nice Guy - Dallas

• Like Like x 6
  14. Zach

Zach Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +591
    1. The Vigil - Knots Landing (Season 3)
    2. A Brand New Day - Knots Landing (Season 4)
    3. The Challenge - Falcon Crest (Season 2)
    4. Cimmerean Dawn - Falcon Crest (Season 3)
    5. No More Mr. Nice Guy Part 1 - Dallas (Season 4)

• Like Like x 4
  15. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,230
    Medals:
    Last day to vote.

16. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +4,840
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    [​IMG]

And MISS PIGGY
    as Moi-self

Why not the best twirl arounds in the Soap Openings?
    (Miss Piggy would beat even Maggie Gioberti...)​

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,230
    Medals:
    1. Dallas - The Road Back

d fire.JPG d sue.JPG d kath.JPG

'The Road Back' picks up right after one stellar season of Dallas and hits the ground running right into another one. It's so exciting from the get go. Southfork goes up in flames and Bobby is there to save the day. It's high drama all the way as Ray, JR and John Ross all escape by jumping into the pool from the balcony while a passed out Sue Ellen is rescued by the fire fighters. And there's plenty more drama as Mickey remains in a critical condition and Katherine and JR officially join forces to ensure that Bobby and Pam's divorce goes ahead, laying the ground work for some great upcoming story lines.

2. Dynasty - The Plea

dy a.JPG dy bk.JPG dya.JPG

There's no shortage of drama in Dynasty's season 3 premiere. Blake is rescued by Krystle and finds himself in Denver Memorial where Cecil has also been admitted following his coronary orgasm. Here Blake also gets news that LB has been kidnapped, which leads to a major revelation about Blake and Alexis' past and the introduction of a very important new character. It's all happening!!

3. Falcon Crest - Requiem

fc ang.JPG FC funeral.JPG fc terri.JPG

The grim reaper pays yet another visit to the Tuscany Valley and this time claims, not one, but three of it's residents, in Falcon Crest's most brutal culling to date. In fact anyone who married one of the main characters last season met their maker in the season 4 premiere. In the wake of the plane crash Angela, who seems to be in shock, informs us that Philip is dead. We also learn that Michael has died as well. And as a treat for the viewers, we get to watch Linda die later in the hospital too. Then Falcon Crest gives us something we've never seen before on a soap, a triple funeral. In another fun scene Terri, after having convincingly played the grieving widow, lets here hair down and turns the radio up and revels in the fact that she's now a millionairess.

4. Dynasty - Enter Alexis

Dynasty16.jpg FallonKrystle.jpg dya bbbb.jpg

A star is born and Dynasty will never be the same again as Alexis makes a dramatic entrance. She fills us in on her and Blake's past and sticks the knife in in the process, showing us that she is a force to be reckoned with. We then get to know her better through her interactions with Blake and her two children. Elsewhere we learn that Claudia and Lindsay survived the crash but that Matthew and Lindsay have disappeared. Also Krystle and Fallon clash over Krystle having left the courtroom. The season two premiere of Dynasty promises an unforgettable season ahead, which it goes on to deliver.

5. Knots Landing - The Vigil

KL2.JPG f34f38d7949ac60bbac5a6910017fa26.jpg KL.JPG

True to form, Knots deals with the demise of one of it's main characters with a kind of realism that other soaps just couldn't quite seem to manage. Characters react in ways you wouldn't expect and events play out in ways we certainly didn't expect, yet it all somehow rings true and is all the more powerful for it. By the end of the episode we are lulled into a false sense of security, into thinking, true to soap convention, Sid has had a close brush with death but he's gonna make it. All throughout the episode we get some great character moments, Karen and Gary, Karen and Richard, Abby and Sid. It's Knots doing what it does best, and it's one hell of a start to the season.

• Winner Winner x 7
  18. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,092
    Medals:
    Congratulations DALLAS [​IMG] & DYNASTY[​IMG]

19. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,230
    Medals:
    Oh, that's just my votes Willie. You'll have to wait till tomorrow for the results. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,092
    Medals:
    I know that! I just wanted to congratulate Dallas and Dynasty. Anything wrong with that, huh?

• Funny Funny x 3