The Shapiros: "The Central Thing that Held the Show Together for 9 Years Was...

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Gabriel Maxwell, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,889
    ...that whatever villainous things the characters in the show do they never stop loving each other".

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/dynasty-modern-era-revival-details-1026164

Is that the central thing that held the show together for 9 seasons? Really? Barf.

Esther's fading memory aside, what do you think was the principal reason this show remained on air for 9 seasons - apart from its excellent casting, of course?

[​IMG]

2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,732
    Medals:
    That's one of those Esther-y quotes designed to appeal to the legions of brain-dead women viewers she imagined existed out there. And, naturally, to excuse all the character and plot ambiguities the show threw at us and never resolved.

It's like that last, stupid speech from Alexis in the 1991 REUNION where see asserted that they all really like each other (I've never seen Linda's eyebrows go so high) as if the fourth wall is down and we're all agreeing we love DYNASTY.

[​IMG]

Of course these character don't all like, let alone love, each other. Krystle still thinks her husband's ex-wife is a peach despite the abortive skills she perfected on her?? These people are rapists, sluts and jerks. Some more than others, of course.

Forgiving quirks and errors, even the occasional mean outburst, is totally different than someone revealing their shameless sociopathology in front of you, no matter how clever or physically attractive they are (let alone when that pathology is aimed at you) and your just deciding your relationship to them can be mended, fixed or resumed.

But that's also likely what Esther was thinking: I'm a ruthless cow, but I'm sure they all love me anyway.

I mean, Jesus can love Hitler, but I'm not sure the rest of us can realistically be expected to. At most, you can re-direct your loving intentions in a constructive way regarding Hitler's aftermath.

That said, the casting was indeed the main thing that kept DYNASTY afloat (all four of the '80s show were unusually well cast) and the 24/7 press about the DYNASTY stars and the clothes (which were more culturally influential by far then any other series before or since).

But, as I said on another thread, life is often about potential and periods of potential, and, later, memories of that potential... And that sure describes DYNASTY, what it was supposedly about, what we had to settle for, and how we remember it and the period in our lives when it happened.

So the fantasy of DYNASTY we largely had to fantasize ourselves. The cast and the clothes were the crumbs they threw at us before saying, "Just make your own damned show!"

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    a fancy apartment off the boulevard St. Michel
    Ratings:
    +20,165
    Medals:
    I think it's like with most of these iconic tv characters, people keep watching because they want to know what happens to them.
    So, basically, that central thing was me us.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,272
    I love that picture and the jibe against Dallas in the poster

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,889
    I'd also like to add that I think it was the right show for the right time, by which I don't mean the "greedy Reagan years" as some - including Esther herself circa 1988/89 - liked to point out.

As I know, there hadn't really been a luxuriously wrapped confectionery of a weekly family saga before it (especially one where supposedly classy ladies dressed to the nines engaged in physical contretemps) and there had been countless copies after it (including this 2017 reboot itself that has the stench of a drab copy).

And DYNASTY of course came along at the end of a 3-network world where deteriorating scripts week after week did not seem to have as much of a detrimental impact on its existence as they would in today's media landscape of abundant choice.

As for Esther's "they all love each other regardless" claim, perhaps she's stuck with whatever bizarre epiphany she had about her show in late 1986 that caused her to unleash season 7B upon us.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,486
    Medals:
    Cough... Joan Collins.

I really think a lot of people tuned in for her, for Alexis. I know that's why I was watching when it was all but unwatchable.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,732
    Medals:
    Yes, lest we forget. Even TV GUIDE (then a legit periodical) asked the profound question, during the dregs of Season 7, "Just how long can she be expected to carry this show all by herself?"

And as good as the other casting was, S.A.D. effectively neutralized it. Which is kind of amazing.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2