The shocking return of Matthew Blaisdel

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Willie Oleson, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,878
    I don't know why but I've been thinking about this all day long, and the more I thought about it the more I liked it. Yes, the very idea itself kinda shocked me since I've always rated it as Dynasty's worst season finale ever.

Could it be a post-crash-syndrome? Is it possible to consider things differently because of a traumatic event?
    Either way...Matthew's story never had a satisfactory closure. He was sort of missing in the jungle. So, to bring him back and then have him die doesn't really tarnish the memory of a previous great storyline.
    Actually it's a very sad story because he was very ill and delusional and the last thing he wanted to do was to take Krystle with him - and then he got killed by Steven, of all people.
    I still think that the way it was done was a bit messy and it should have focussed more on the drama rather than the danger and excitement.
    But the idea that a long lost Dynasty character returns after 6 years is very exciting and I think his limited storyline worked better than to make him a regular character for the entire season since Krystle was never going to leave Blake, so it would have been a waste of time for them to rekindle their romance.

I also like the idea of Alexis having her first emotional breakdown especially with devastating results. And it happened, but unfortunately it all looked painfully hilarious.
    So, in essence, I think it was a good story, but the "how" left a lot to be desired.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,461
    Pretty much, yeah. :)

3. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,461
    But those are good points. And I still think the arc would have carried more weight had Fallon, Amanda and Claudia been present for it. Naturally Fallon and Amanda would be there in Leslie's place (I recall Leslie was made to serve the servants drinks, I think as a "see how it feels" moment; except Leslie was presumably poor for most of her life; it really should have been Fallon to serve the servants, since she had been waited on by them all her life, and now their roles were reversed; it could have been a powerful, albeit small, moment), with Claudia coming in later to have one final confrontation with her husband, so both characters could have their moment of finality.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,878
    And how about Amanda? She's never been poor but Alexis didn't have that much money to give her daughter the "Carrington" life.
    Did Amanda ever mention this to her mother?

5. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,555
    For me the season 7 cliffhanger would only have worked had the camera freezes on Blake and Krystle as Krystle says "Oh my god......This is impossible! You're dead!" *end season*

Aside from that I would probably give Sean's storyline to Matthew, as he would escape from justice rather than get killed by Steven, he would marry Alexis and his motive would be the fact that his family broke up because of Blake.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,461
    There was one scene in season 6 Alexis got "sick and tired" of Amanda's "Oliver Twist" attitude, and pointed out how Amanda had French lessons, singing lessons, piano lessons, etc, all while growing up that Alexis herself paid for. It was kind've an annoying scene and I keep on waiting for Amanda to splash her drink in Alexis' face. lol

• Like Like x 3
  7. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,461
    I like your idea with Blake and Krystle, but Matthew marrying Alexis? That's a little hard to swallow... after all, Claudia, Matthew's own wife, married both of Blake's sons, so having Matthew marry Blake's ex-wife... that's a little too much. ^^

8. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,555
    Meh why not.

Everything else had been done at this point lol

• Like Like x 1
  9. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,632
    I don't know about that, but there are scenes where Alexis tells Amanda that she put her through the best schools and that she never wanted for anything. I always thought that was great... In a way Blake paid for his daughter's education when he never even knew she existed.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,461
    That's right, Blake paid Alexis $250 grand to leave Denver, and she used that money to help Rosalind and her husband raise Amanda. Reminds me of that season 5 scene where Alexis ranted, "I raised and nurtured Amanda - alone!" lol Oh Alexis, you filthy hypocrite.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,878
    I wonder why she didn't use the pregnancy as a trump card. It's not like Blake could take the baby away from her before it was born (although this may have happened in some Hammer movie). She could even threaten to have an abortion.
    "You want to raise your precious child? Fine! As long as you realize that it comes with a mother - me! The one and only Mrs. Carrington!"

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,461
    Alexis didn't realize she was pregnant, not until after she left Denver. Or at least, that's how I remembered it happening. The Carrington timeline went through so many changes... lol

13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,878
    Yes, but that doesn't mean she couldn't contact Blake to tell him the "happy" news.
    Furthermore, the idea to punish Blake (not being aware of his child) doesn't really work if he doesn't know. It's like Douglas Channing stealing his wife's baby (and his own btw) and then not tell her (they told her he was dead - long story!). What's the fun of revenge if you can't rub your enemy's nose in it?

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,461
    Well, maybe Alexis was too afraid Blake would find a way to take Baby Amanda away from her? Alexis did say in season 2 on trial that Blake allegedly paid Roger Grimes off to say that it was Alexis who beat him, not Blake himself. While I don't believe that story was ever confirmed or not, Blake does seem like he would take action to take Amanda away from Alexis as well. He had more power (both financial and political) than she did at the time, so he'd be able to portray her as an unstable woman and an unfit mother.

Not only that, but its clear that Alexis was still in love with Blake, so maybe she decided to keep Amanda as a sort've "keepsake"?

15. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,461
    True... but I still can't see Alexis falling for someone like Matthew. Personally I never saw what Krystle saw in him, course I never thought he was good-looking (or even charismatic) to begin with.

16. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,632
    Yes, but we are talking about shitty writing. Something they came up with because Fallon left. Urrgghhhhh.

17. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,878
    It is my impression that Alexis was in some sort of shock when all of this was happening. Eventhough their marriage was already very troubled, I don't think she had anticipated that it would come this far. But Alexis doesn't strike me as a person who continues to feel intimidated and defeated, and it's quite a gap between Amanda's birth and her return to Denver - and then Amanda's visit to Denver. But of course she didn't exist before that.
    Blake was prettier?
    I can't imagine Matthew falling for Alexis. She's definitely not his type.

18. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,878
    I don't find it implausible that Alexis had another child. Or 10!
    But I think Amanda should have hated her mother a little bit more.

19. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,632
    I never really liked the introduction of Amanda, I thought it sort of lessened what happened with Adam. I never thought much of Oxenberg as an actress. She was beautiful, yes and it sort of worked and of course gave DYNASTY probably it's most famous storyline and all but the whole thing never felt right to me. I was constantly reminded of Fallon by their desperate attempts to make us believe she was like Fallon. She wasn't. I just wanted Alexis to slap the shit out of her, and often.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Soapwriter12

Soapwriter12 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +286
    What were the differences between Fallon, and Amanda?