The shocking return of Matthew Blaisdel

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Willie O! Tannenbaum, Sep 25, 2016.

1. The holiday Whore

The holiday Whore Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,740
    Have you watched DYNASTY?

2. Soapwriter12

Soapwriter12 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Yes, but I wanted to hear what other fans think.

3. The holiday Whore

The holiday Whore Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,740
    Ah, ok... Well in my opinion Fallon was just very different. She was an equal match for Alexis in ways. She was strong willed, sharp tongued and could be manipulative when needed be. Though she was also fiercely loyal to her father and Steven. The way she was originally, was just a wonderful character. A brittle bitch, who really did have a heart deep down. She could cut people to pieces with one sentence.

Amanda was just a pouty bratty child. I cant really say that much more about her. The scripts had really declined by the time she showed up and Oxenberg just wasn't the type of actress that could make the shitty scripts work like some of the others could.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    But Alexis *has* felt intimidated and defeated, plenty of times over the series: some of her scenes with Dominique she was clearly intimidated but took obvious effort not to show it; she was clearly defeated when Blake found out she killed his child (though she did claw her way back up very soon afterwards); and of course Ben was able to intimidate her in s7 when he threatened to take her down with him if she tried to cut him out of her life.

And what's more, you yourself said Alexis could have very easily been in shock when all of it was happening (and add in her final night with Roger Grimes which she ended up repressing), so probably, after she left Denver and realized she was pregnant, that sent her on a downward spiral, which would give a pretty good explanation of why she arranged for her cousin Rosalind to raise the baby instead. During that whole time with the shock and the pregnancy hormones, Alexis probably didn't think everything through.

As for the gap between Alexis' departure and then Amanda's visit to Denver... maybe Alexis just got used to things being as they were? That's not entirely out of the ordinary, as people do tend to get used to their situations, no matter how bad they are.

....Please, do not use that word in association with Blake. Ever. *shudder* lol :lmao:

Agreed. Heh heh, though that reminds of when Alexis told Krystle that she, Krystle, wasn't Cecil's type. Because of that, I wanted Cecil's will to profess an undying love for Krystle just to spite Alexis. lol (And that wouldn't be too much to add in, since Cecil could have called his attorney before he died and told him to add that in, all because Alexis told him while he was having his heart attack, "I need you to get Blake!" It would be Cecil's "Take that!" moment.)

5. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    Well, considering the fact that Alexis slept around a whole lot during that 16 year absence, that wouldn't be so unrealistic for her to have a few bastards running around in the world. Except I still like the idea that she had two sons and two daughters with Blake; somehow its like a "not just one is good enough for us rich folk, we need to have two of each!" sort of thing, for lack of a better description. lol

As for whether or not Amanda should have hated her mother a little bit more... yes, I agree to that, but only a *little* bit more. After all, Amanda said that growing up, Rosalind was a distant mother-figure, whereas visiting relative Alexis was far more attentive. It wouldn't be a stretch to assume that Amanda grew up wishing that Alexis was her real mother - only once that wish came true, she realized that Alexis had given her up in the first place. Which would have caused a great deal of bitterness to stew in the young girl's heart. That could have been explored, and would have given Amanda better reason to launch herself right into Daddy Blake's welcoming arms, all to get back at Alexis ("You didn't want me, now I don't want you!").

6. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    Amanda's introduction never bothered me, but I was by her lack of impact on the rest of the family. She could have caused much more mayhem, and not just between Blake and Alexis:

Krystle could have been suspicious of this English girl who claimed to be Blake's daughter so soon after his favorite daughter just died, which would have placed Krystle in Fallon's S1 role and Amanda in Krystle's S1 role. And Krystle could have been jealous of Blake's attention on Amanda, since he and Krystle were expecting a new child of their own, and now Blake didn't seem interested in it anymore; thus serious tension would have been between Krystle and Blake, adding to the seasons's storyline about their marriage undergoing the Ultimate Test.

Steven could have been hostile towards Amanda at first, seeing her as an intruder onto Fallon's role in the family household, mirroring the strained relationship Fallon and Adam first had, only minus the incest. ^^

Adam, of course, could have taken Amanda under his wing, and the two become what Steven and Fallon were. Amanda even could have gotten involved in the whole Adam/Claudia/Steven/Luke deal, adding in her own two cents and relying overheard information from one party to the next.

As for the whole "she's just like Fallon" deal, yes, that was a mistake. They never should have tried to make her out to be another Fallon. Instead, they should have done what they did with Adam, who was not another Steven but simply his own character. I can understand Amanda being a *little* like Fallon, but she should have been her own person.

7. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Willie O! Tannenbaum drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,814
    Well, it was a dynasty, but not a big one. I don't think they could afford to lose one of its members. So they had the choice to recast Fallon immediately (for Dynasty, not The Colbys) or to create another Carrington heir.
    But like Ked said, she didn't have enough impact since they focussed too much on the mummy & daddy stuff (*cringe*). Everthing about Adam was spectacular, why couldn't they write like that for Amanda, and I mean the person, not just the storylines. After all we did get Moldavia and I liked her affair with Dex.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    Actually, something I thought of while at work today: concerning the whole "she's just like Fallon" thing, I thought of a better way to utilize it: *Blake* thinks that way about Amanda, since he's desperate to have his favorite child back in his life, but all of the other characters don't see it that way, and try to point this out to Blake, but he stubbornly refuses to listen. Amanda, however, lets Blake think of her as Fallon, since she's afraid he'll never love her for who she really is.

*That* could have been some real potential for the person of Amanda, especially since there was some talk about her having the tiniest bit of an identity crisis in the beginning of season 5 - but sadly, it was swept under the rug all too quickly. :(

Also, something I forgot to mention in my last post: there should have been something between Amanda and Jeff. Not necessarily a romance, but more like... an obsession? An infatuation? Jeff, like Blake, is desperate to have Fallon back in his life, and sees Amanda as the most possible replacement for her. Amanda already wants Blake to see her as Fallon, and so asks the entire family as much as she can about Fallon, and Jeff becomes all too willing to share stories, which creates a bond between the two.

Of course, other family members warn both Jeff and Amanda that a romance between them would be a bad idea. Both characters act annoyed, although they do surprisingly listen to what everybody else has been saying and never take their relationship to the next level - although it does create more conflict once Amanda becomes infatuated with Dex and then becomes involved with Prince Michael.

And then by season 6, that's when Jeff and Amanda decide that things between them are indeed ready to go farther...

...except Fallon comes back. ^^

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Soapwriter12

Soapwriter12 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +288
    That would be an interesting fanfic

10. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    Thanks.

11. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +422
    The fact that Matthew never even said Claudia's name was unreal!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,613
    Very VERTIGO (1958) and it works since Fallon was a brunette and Amanda was a blonde, to polar opposites yet have some similarities with one another, instead of Jeff's Scooby Doo storyline with Nicole they should have given him a psychological storyline, whereby he takes Amanda under his wing, Amanda is flattered by this attention from a handsome heir and her brother in law no less, Jeff would go from resenting her for the fact that he feels Fallon has been replaced and obsessed with her because she reminds him of a younger version of Fallon from their teen years in the late 60s and early 70s.

Jeff would defend her from Steven's constant attacks and deflect Adam's concerns for his sister, Jeff could even take Amanda to an event, and she's wearing Fallon's famous red dress, scandalising Denver society.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    Now THAT would have been something! Imagine, there's a party going on at the mansion, and the whole family is greeting guests as they walk in...

...then a hush falls as Amanda appears at the top of the stairs, wearing Fallon's red dress. She slowly walks down the steps, all eyes on her. Except its not in awe... but in shock and disgust: how could she wear her own dead sister's dress?! Steven in particular is outraged... but Blake and Jeff are the only ones smiling. Blake goes up to Amanda when she reaches the bottom of the stairs and hugs her, and the whole family realizes Blake now sees Amanda as Fallon. And they are appropriately freaked out.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,613
    It'll be like the scene in REBECCA (1940) where Joan Fontaine walks into the hall wearing Rebecca's old party dress.......

Jeff's behaviour could become increasingly bizarre as he recreates moments and dates he had with Fallon, with Amanda, like skinny dipping and smoking weed, Amanda deep down is suffering but she wants to be accepted, I see Amanda as a loner before she came to Denver so she'll do anything to be liked.

Why wasn't I born earlier so I could create DYNASTY and run the show myself!!!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    That would have been a great way to write Amanda. Plus, I imagine scenes where Alexis desperately tries to tell Amanda that what she's doing isn't right; but Alexis being Alexis, uses the wrong (aka "mean") words, which only drives her daughter away:

"Why should I listen to you? You rejected me the day I was born! Blake took me in the moment he met me!"
    "Only because he thinks he can use you to replace Fallon!"
    "So what? I have no identity, and Fallon's no longer using hers', why shouldn't I use it?"
    (Cue a flabbergasted silence from Mummy.)

Krystle and Adam, however, make better headway since they have a better idea on how to handle Amanda.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +422
    The producers would never have thought of these ideas.

17. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    That's why we need a time machine. :lol:

18. Jermaine

Jermaine Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Perfectly put, I couldn’t agree more! :gp:

19. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +386
    They were similar but Fallon was an extrovert while Amanda was more of an introvert. Fallon was more impulsive and likely to say the first thing that came to mind while Amanda could be more tactful (but if provoked would hurl a carefully worded insult). I think Amanda embodies a combination of Fallon and Steven's personality traits.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    This scene from "Feud" inspired me on how I'd have the relationship between Fallon and Amanda: