1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. SoapLand The Final Battle

How Will It End?

Dismiss Notice

SoapLand - The Battle Of The Shootings - The Result

Discussion in 'SoapLand - The Battles' started by Willie Oleson, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +24,229
    Medals:
    One of the requests was to revisit the season finale cliffhangers, but it's safe to say that that battle would focus on the 3 biggies: Who Shot JR? / Moldavia Massacre / Who Took The Bullet?
    Instead of doing that again I thought it would be more fun to reminisce all the shootings.
    It doesn't matter who or what the target is, so that will increase our options.

upload_2019-4-22_0-35-38.png

How would you rank the SoapLand shootings?​

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  2. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,116
    Medals:
    I think it's interesting how shooting(s) as a dramatic tool seemed to switch between the 80s and 90s; in the 80s it was often used as a pre-meditated act of vengeance (such as Kristin shooting JR), while in the 90s it was more often portrayed as a cautionary tale of accidental shooting or at worst an impulse act (ie Scott accidentally killing himself on 90210, Amanda accidentally mistaking Peter as an intruder on Melrose Place, Kell-Meeeeeee impulsively shooting her rapist). I guess it was due to politics around weapons shifting and writers almost needing to put in a disclaimer that owning guns = bad.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +24,229
    Medals:
    Who needs a gun for vengeance when you can simply bomb the whole shebang
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,887
    Medals:
    So is this non-cliffhanger shootings only or can we include cliffhanger shootings too?

5. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +24,229
    Medals:
    Yes. Everything!

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Winner EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +6,148
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    1- Karen Mackenzie is shot by the Twin Peaks woman (Knots Landing Season 5)

2- Bobby Ewing is shot by Katherine the Great at Ewing Oil (Dallas Season 6)

3- Chase Gioberti is shot by Krazy Julia at Vickie´s wedding (Falcon Crest Season 2)

4- Chase Gioberti is shot (again) apparently by Jeff Wainright (FC Season 5)

5- Sable Colby is shot by Jason? Zach? at the yacht (The Colbys Season 1)

They all happened in the last or next-to-last episodes of the season but I honestly think they were the most creative of all. I avoided JR´s shooting because I guess it will be mentioned here (and because the staging now seems a bit outdated...).

#1 is the climax of a very convoluted scene where the storylines of the whole season come to an end (sort of) and it´s coming out of the blue (and into the red actually, because that´s what Karen is wearing). Also, this cliffhanger triggered a lot of other storylines for the next season (as any good cliffhanger should do). Too bad they sort of botched it up when Abby had a haircut inside the limo of her kidnappers!

[​IMG]
    "My job is shooting Pollyanna who?"​

#2 is another twist to the one that made "Dallas" famous, and of course, the best is the last seconds of it: Bobby is shot instead, and might be dead (or blind). Aside from that, it perfectioned the way to film a shooting in an office...and the reflection of the cameraman in the wall when the elevator door opens is the blooper of the century!

upload_2019-4-23_23-10-40.png
    He Done It. The Man in the Mirror.​

#3 revisits the idea of a cliffhanger with a shooting, but instead of Who Shot..., we have Who has been Shot / and been buried in Tuscany. Though those two options were different characters at the end.

upload_2019-4-23_23-13-17.jpeg
    "By the way, Jane darling, may I appear in the credits too?"
    - Lana Turner the minute they decided to kill Jacqueline off.

#4 gives another twist to the shooting plot by making us believe that we know who shot Chase (when we don´t really know, we´ve been cheated!) so there are two mysteries: will Chase survive and also, who may have killed him?
    [​IMG]
    "Mama, is he pulling a Patrick Duffy?"​

#5 is an operatic staging of a shooting when two characters are fighting for a gun. So much better than JR & Nicholas and Dex & Sean, which were basically the same twist. And Sable´s way of falling down is what Maria Callas would have done if she had been in a supersoap!!

[​IMG]
    "You go back to England, you opportunistic starlet!"
    Actually, SHE done it. But the scene had to be deleted
    due to the insistence of future Dame Joan Collins...​

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +24,229
    Medals:
    1. DYNASTY - Alexis commits foetucide
    upload_2019-4-24_18-26-2.png
    This was simply unheard-of, and therefore one of Dynasty's most exhilarating scenes. Killing other characters is usually not an option for long-term villains, so this was a clever (and juicier) alternative.

2. FALCON CREST - To protect and to serve havoc
    upload_2019-4-24_18-38-53.png
    Angela convinces Julia to hand over the gun, but a policeman misinterprets the situation and tries to take Julia down. It's one of those fantastic "oooh...sssssshit!" moments.

3. DYNASTY - Sgt. Zorelli does not save the day
    upload_2019-4-24_19-48-5.png
    Another eruption of violence and death caused by a person who means well. Those are the best!

4. FALCON CREST - The assassination of Richard Channing
    upload_2019-4-24_18-48-41.png
    Richard's always had a taste for crime and drama and I guess something like this was to be expected. But then when it does happen it's almost incomprehensible, also because his executioner happens to be Peter Stavros' son.

5. DALLAS - Ann E. gets her gun and shoots Dirty Harris
    upload_2019-4-24_19-11-3.png
    You know, I'm not a violent person or anything, but this was the only way to shut him up. I didn't want him to die but I hoped he suffered. A lot!

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 20 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,448
    Medals:
    1. Karen gets shot in the lobby of the Belmar Hotel, Knots Landing. KL's version of the 1-2-3 punch had Gary, then Karen, then Abby in mortal danger...but as photogenic as Abby was as she sped away with St. Claire, it was Karen's slumping to the floor (victim of a deflected bullet meant for Gary) that left me in the most shock.

[​IMG]
    "How long should I hold this pose, David? Does my lipstick need a touch-up?"

2. Mitch Ackerman loses his head, KL. It was not as graphic as it could have been, but was just as graphic as it needed to be.

[​IMG]
    "You gotta get that nosy yenta off my back. [pause] She's right behind me, isn't she?"

3. Mary Frances is shot in Greg's office, KL. Her death was the beginning the storyline rather than the conclusion of it, making it much more shocking.

upload_2019-4-24_17-55-8.jpeg
    "Is this what happens to people who mess with Greg's computer?"

4. Emma Channing shoots Charley St. James, Falcon Crest. Sweet Emma is forced to shoot the evil jerk who was out to kill her and steal her family's fortune. Frankly, I hate him because he represents all that was wrong with season nine, so if she had not blown him away I might have done it myself.

[​IMG]
    "Merry Christmas to you too, Daniel Avery!"

5. "Jean shoots Valene" in Ben's nightmare, KL. Jean popping up in Val and Ben's bedroom to plug Val (after the danger was supposedly over) was a shocker, but Ben soon sprung out of bed (having dreamed the shooting). I guess Ben learned from Pam Ewing's mistake and didn't let the nightmare of a loved one's murder continue into the next year or so. And I'm sure JvA had a ball playing a death scene.

[​IMG]
    "Do you like my fake glasses? I stole them off Mark St. Claire's bullet-riddled corpse. That's the least I could do, since his shooting only rated a #6 on a Top Five list."

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +24,229
    Medals:
    Shot by the Fashion Police :NI:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 20 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,448
    Medals:
    Unless I'm mistaken they re-use that red dress (bullet holes be damned, I suppose) in season seven when angry, sanctimonious Karen stands on a hillside at the Lotus Point/Empire Valley area (as the reservoir filled with arsenic) and shouts, a la Scarlett O'Hara, "Damn you, Paul Galveston!" Maybe it is a different red dress, or maybe the costumers simply forgot Michele Lee had already chewed on some scenery in that same dress.

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Star EXP: 6 Years

Threads:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +8,472
    Medals:
    1. Katherine shoots Bobby. Bobby swiveling around in that chair was a great twist on a tried and tested formula and had me wondering all summer if he could have survived being shot in the head. I'm mean, surely they wouldn't do something crazy and stupid like kill off Bobby...would they?? As it turns out a year later they actually did.

kkk.JPG

2. Alexis' darkest deed. There was no guarantee this dastardly plan would pay off but Alexis gives it her best shot. One of Dynasty's most iconic moments.

6383209.jpeg

3. Julia opens fire. A major revelation followed by a double shooting, Falcon Crest didn't do anything by halves. It's the end for Jaqueline, though she takes a bullet for Richard, and Chase's injuries lead to more intrigue the following season.

224b9c280bd2840c60bf4516aa24915b.jpg

4. Sable means business. This is a wonderful scene as uber drama queen Sable holds Jason at gunpoint, seethes about how much he hates him and looks fabulous doing it. She then proceeds to blow a table and a lovely flower arrangement to pieces. Soaps need more glamorous women with shotguns, it's a really good look.

5. Karen is shot. One of Knots Landing's best cliffhangers sees events all culminating in a dramatic climax which includes Karen being shot. The wonderful thing about this is that Mack actually grabs the shooter and turns her around to pointing straight at Karen. His methods and actions as the season draws to a close have put the people close to him in danger and this is a nice touch of irony to have him so directly involved in Karen's shooting.

Capture.JPG

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Hero EXP: 13 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,670
    Medals:
    1. Alexis does the unthinkable. DYNASTY

2. Who Shot JR? DALLAS

Who shot Bobby? DALLAS

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,670
    Medals:
    3.Karen is shot and faux expires gloriously in a red dress. KNOTS LANDING

4."You've murdered your wife!" THE COLBYS

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,670
    Medals:
    5. Who shot Bobby? Now I do wonder... DALLAS

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,670
    Medals:
    @Richard Channing @Willie Oleson I was having problems posting last night and didn't mean for Bobby to be included in my first post. Can you remove it?
    My list should be..
    1. Alexis fires shotgun - Dynasty
    2. Who shot JR? - Dallas
    3. Karen is shot - Knots Landing
    4. Jason shoots Sable - The Colbys
    5. Who shot Bobby? - Dallas

Sorry for any confusion. My posts weren't showing up properly for some reason last night.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +7,176
    Medals:
    1. Who Shot JR? - Dallas
    2. Who Shot Bobby? - Dallas
    3. Ray and Bobby shoot BD Calhoun - Dallas
    4. Sue Ellen shoots JR - Dallas
    5. Edgar Raldolph fires at JR - Dallas

All Dallas :love6:

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Carrie Fairchild

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,887
    Medals:
    1 - Alexis delves headfirst into the dark side - Dynasty
    [​IMG]

I know that there has been many, many shootings in the soaps for a variety of dastardly reasons but this stands out as the darkest. We've seen people shoot wayward spouses and nonreciprocal love interests but causing the death of your rival's unborn child is unique in it's darkness.

2 - Shoot Em Up Sue Ellen - Dallas
    [​IMG]

I've mentioned before that I love the campness of this scene. From Sue Ellen and Nicholas marching in "Where is my son, you bastard" to J.R's insults "call off your gigolo, honey" to Sue Ellen's final line "I'd like to report a double murder. This is Sue Ellen Ewing".

3 - Sable Is Shot - The Colbys

Only Stephanie Beacham could pull off taking a bullet to the head so gracefully.

4 - Massacre In Moldavia - Dynasty
    [​IMG]

Why shoot one of the cast when you can shoot them all? A scene like this would likely be unthinkable on a modern day soap given the frequency of mass shootings these days but the ridiculous spectacle of it all is something to behold.

5 - Michelle Shoots Sheila - Dallas

I've said this when discussing it before, this scene isn't exactly from the golden era of Dallas but it's always stuck in my head for it's OTT factor. I love the cheesiness of the slow mo run / push and Susan Lucci gives it her soapy all as she takes a bullet. The event that led to it (April's death) is another masterpiece of slow mo.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,670
    Medals:
    Oh God... I had forgot about this. This really was the worst of DALLAS. LOL
    I cant even remember any of the plot of why Sheila shot April? I just remember not loving Bobby living at that beach house with Jory? Or whatever her name was? It just wasn't very DALLAS. Actually that was all in California wasn't it? Lucci was just too diminutive to be on DALLAS. She had no place there. Of course one always wears a white satin jacket on days when one is going to be shot. In slow motion no less!

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Carrie Fairchild

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,887
    Medals:
    The DRAMA!!

Screenshot_20190503-164934.png
    Screenshot_20190503-164959.png
    Screenshot_20190503-165005.png

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +24,229
    Medals:
    They stole Dynasty's tumbling over the balcony movements!!!
    upload_2019-5-3_18-18-33.png

@Alexis, are you going to accept this??

• Funny Funny x 4