Peyton Place The significant introduction of Steven Cord

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by Willie O! Tannenbaum, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Willie O! Tannenbaum drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    Of course it was a big deal when Richard Channing moved to Tuscany Valley, and the return of Alexis Carrington changed Dynasty forever.

But Steven Cord is "returning" for almost 5 episodes now, and it's all very doom-laden and shrouded in a mystery that no-one seems to understand or care for except Steven himself.
    Like a jack-in-the-box he keeps popping up everywhere, constantly (and often literally) bumping into various local residents.
    Apparently he has a Big Plan...but what is it?
    And why is it such a big deal to be the housekeeper's son?

To me, it really feels like a new chapter:)

upload_2016-9-14_21-49-3.png

• Like Like x 4
  2. Kristin Kringle Channing

Kristin Kringle Channing Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,370
    Now that I know it's on youtube, I'm seriously considering starting Peyton Place. Are you enjoying it so far Willie?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    Let me put it this way: I can't decide what I enjoy the most - watching Peyton Place or listening to Peyton Place.
    It's like a beautiful novel disguised as a soap. Highly recommended.

• Like Like x 4
  4. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +552
    I've seen the DVDs of Peyton Place on iOffer and other sites several times over the past few years, and I've considered ordering them. I just didn't know how well I would like it because I didn't know of anyone at the time who had seen it.

5. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    There's a thunder storm in Peyton Place, a bus crash, a husband returning from Peru Place and the Schusters are having a big meltdown. I declare, the soap is dripping from my screen. Gail Kobe is fantastic in her role as Doris Schuster. She's one of those wives, like Sue Ellen and Sable Colby.

• Like Like x 3
  6. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,733
    You reminded me I NEED to continue watching the show. I started in 2009 and I love it, but I've only seen 47 episodes... LOL

• Like Like x 2
  7. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    I've just watched two magnificent episodes: 104 and 105.
    Stella Chernak returns to Peyton Place, and that first scene with her brother was like watching Mad Men, with a glimpse of Valley Of The Dolls.
    I hope she's going to stay forever.
    And then of course the whole controversy over Elliot's letter in the Clarion. And I think some people start to read between the lines, especially Doris.
    Of course we know what's bubbling under, and it feels very dark and sinful.

It's interesting how every Schusters scene starts rather lightheartedly and then how it ends in mistrust and disappointment (or worse).
    David is a chauvinist, but Doris can also be very manipulative and I've enjoyed the psychological battles between mother and daughter.
    Steven has invited Betty to join him at the Schusters' dinner party, hoping she will be re-enchanted by the grandeur of the Harrington House and side with him in his plan to take over everything. That's just so Ben Carrington.
    The Markham brothers have come to an agreement and personally I think it's time for Vincent to go back to Peru and he can take Claire with him for all I care.

Yes, there was a little "dip" in the 97-100 episodes. Claire and Vincent and Rita were constantly moping and those scenes didn't seem to go anywhere.
    I don't like it when characters are very busy not saying what's going on. They don't know what they want, they also don't know what they don't want but they will disagree with everything and everyone. That sort of stuff gets tiresome very quickly.

Claire and Dr. Rossi's (I could never call him just Michael) argument about "learning to be a woman" was interesting - shocking, almost, but I prefer to watch him hanging out at the bookstore (my favourite set) talking to Constance.

Sooo, I'll continue to continue...

• Like Like x 2
  8. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    Oops, Joe Chernak dropped dead. Yes it was really strange because there was a fight and Rodney threw something at him which caused Joe to fall and hit his head.
    This was very close to the water so obviously I thought he was going to drown/almost drown, like Steven Carrington and Lynne Howard. But he got up and walked towards Rodney and then he died! It was more like that moment when Maggie Gioberti had her seizure during her argument with Terry Hartford.

Anyway, my first thought was - somehow, this whole event is going to ruin Doris' party. And it did, but the atmosphere had gotten a bit tense already when Norman and Allison brought Kim back home after she had run away (again) and witnessed the fight between Rodney and Joe.
    Betty is unable to enjoy the party because her thoughts are occupied by the quasi-anonymous phonecall and she fears there's something terrible going on although they allowed her that moment to wander into one of the rooms and remember how it was to live in that house.
    I like it when a house has an important role, it doesn't even matter how big it is. Even a little house on the prairie will do. ha-ha.

Rodney is at the end of his tether and wants to talk to Matthew Swain but he has already left Peyton Place. He finds Eli Carson at the Clarion and I thought it was a heartrending scene because I could see that he wanted to talk about what happened but then he decides to go home.
    The phone rings....(I bet it's Betty!)

According to the video description, this was the season finale episode (114). But was this still the first season? I have no idea how it worked back then, especially since they aired more than one episode per week. It's also funny that the finale episode has new opening credits, instead of the first episode of the new season.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Jolly Jason73

Jolly Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,376
    I've just decided to dip back into Peyton Place for a bit. I was debating between this or going back to Brookside for a while and PP won out. I'm on episode 291, so I won't post any spoilers, but I'm looking forward to getting back into it for while.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Don Howard

Don Howard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +351
    And in every role she's ever had. Plus, she was an A+ producer. Smart and pretty lady.

• Like Like x 1