1. Musical Secret Santa

It's a Secret!

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

The Son

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Rove, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,809

Has anyone watched this series? I've just been made aware it will soon screen here in Australia. I understand it has similar themes to Dallas. A ruthless businessman starts out cattle ranching but discovers the rich oil fields of Texas. I've always liked Pierce Brosnan so I'll give it a shot.

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,713
    Same as yours. Saw the write-up in the paper this week.

It's on fairly late but there only seem to be a limited number of episodes so it might be worth setting the DVR. ;)

3. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,713
    So, @Rove , did you watch it?

If you squinted real hard you could see a little of Jock and Bobby in Eli and Pete, with Phineas as the shadier, older JR brother but otherwise the resemblance to Dallas is superficial at best.

The themes covered were not really original but handled well enough. All in all, solid enough to hold the interest but nothing to rave about. And I still don't know which one is the son.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,809
    I'm ambivalent about it. Started off well. The thing which turned me off mostly was the constant time warps. I despise this kind of story-telling as it upsets the natural flow of viewing. I'm not sure why producers/writers continue to stick with this style. Will I watch Season 2? Probably not.

Meanwhile...over at Paramount Network they have the Kevin Costner series Yellowstone. I've viewed the trailer on youtube. The scenery is breathtaking and the high production values blast from the screen. No NEWS if anyone here in Australia has purchased the screening rights. I wish one of the commercial networks would.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,484
    It looks like one of those opulent mini-series of the 70s and 80s.
    I want it!

6. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,809
    Willie are you talking about The Son or Yellowstone. If its Yellowstone I'm on your side. Those production values remind me much of the mini series of the 80's which were very popular at the time. I've questioned many times why producers and commercial networks have not revisited the genre. To us, the audience, we understand exactly what we're walking into; a beginning, middle and end. We can invest our limited time into something with that knowledge it's not going to drag on...and on...and on...until we lose interest and so does the network.

7. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,713
    The time warps didn't worry me as such but I kept waiting for them to link up somehow. I thought the story would be complete in the ten episodes but now I read there is a season 2 so there's no telling how long it may take to make sense.