SoapLand - The Battle Of The Spooky Scenes - The Result

Discussion in 'SoapLand - The Battles' started by Willie Oleson, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,772
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    Were there any scenes which you'd describe as spooky, eerie or just very strange?

It's not about the most violent scenes, but it can be a combination of both.

[​IMG]

When and how did these soaps manage to frighten us?

• Like Like x 5
  2. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,772
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    OK, then I'll start.

1. Gary spots Danny Waleska in Bobby & Betsy's home video.
    upload_2017-10-25_17-52-16.png
    What makes this so eerie is that they had already watched the video, and then Bobby & Betsy wanted to watch it again.
    Gary and Val agreed, but first they had to go brush their teeth. Meanwhile, Gary rewound the video (standing close to the TV screen) pressed play, and suddenly he noticed someone in the background.
    Halloween-factor: Killer Bob effect.

2. Midnight scene. Adam sneaks into the Carrington mansion, hoping to avoid his father.
    At first it looks as if the house "is asleep".
    upload_2017-10-25_18-4-59.png upload_2017-10-25_18-5-28.png
    Only the sound of clocks, empty hallway, shadows...Adam enters, and out of nowhere Blake appears in the hallway.
    upload_2017-10-25_18-7-26.png
    "Adam!" Blake's voice startles Adam, and that startled me.
    Halloween-factor: the house looks back at you.

3. Childbirth from hell. The spooky music, the chimes, Valene's distorted vision.
    upload_2017-10-25_18-13-5.png
    "It's all right, Val. It's just a mild sedative to help you through".
    Halloween-factor: Doctor Evil.

4. Julia's prison nightmare.
    upload_2017-10-25_18-18-58.png upload_2017-10-25_18-19-13.png upload_2017-10-25_18-19-27.png
    This is about not being able to escape her mother, and this dream has some eerie surprise effects.
    Halloween-factor: No-one is going to help you, because they're all the same person.

5. Invisible Krystle
    Fallon and Nick Toscanni go into the library and he tells her that he loves her (and Fallon loves him too).
    After being interrupted by Jeff. they leave the room, and camera goes back to a chair in the library.
    upload_2017-10-25_18-27-13.png upload_2017-10-25_18-29-13.png
    And then we see Krystle coming out of the chair.
    Of course the point is that she accidentally overheard that conversation, I don't think it was meant to be suspenseful because Krystle is not a threat.
    But when I watched this the first time I found it very surprising and also a bit spooky.
    Halloween-factor: Not knowing there's another person in the room (and in fact, very close).

That's 5 of my list of 10...but there could be more!

• Like Like x 8
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    I like the scene in Season 9 of DYNASTY when Ellsworth Chisum tells Alexis and Adam about his seeing Roger Grimes being carried down into the excavation at night 25 years earlier. Nicely underplayed, and Joan gave it just the right amount of melodrama, set to a subtly creepy score from Artie Kane.

You almost believe it.

[​IMG]

The only fan letter I ever wrote to the DYNASTY people was in response to this episode, praising Curtis Harrington as one of their best directors.

And, yes, when you can light a scene so the shadows look back at you, you've tapped into a zone, a frequency. DYNASTY absolutely cried out for this kind of direction and camera work, but rarely achieved it.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,801
    Original Member Since:
    June 10, 2000
    This is a difficult one, mostly because I'm debating whether my various choices are spooky, shocking, horrific, or just plain creepy. I over-analyze, I know...but splitting hairs is a wonderful hobby.

Anyway, here goes:

1. The women of the cul-de-sac end up in the haunted house with "The Three Sisters" on Knots Landing...with the most notable scene being when Valene gets "trapped" in the upstairs bathroom, having her wonderful freak-out.

2. Also on KL, Karen wakes up in a dusty basement, realizes she has been kidnapped. As she hams it up, we only see the hairy arm of her captor in the periphery of the shot. (from the episode "The Longest Night") He was much creepier before we actually met that loser.

3. Joshua Rush (KL) was at his nuttiest as he played with ceramic "bride and groom" figurines (usually seen on top of the wedding cake), pretending they are he and Cathy. His reaction to seeing "the bride" fall off the dresser and break on the floor (inspiring him to make plans to do the same thing to Cathy) is certainly cree-pee. (from the episode "Rise and Fall")

4. The perfectly "normal" way Jill Bennett (of KL) explained to Valene why Valene had to die...and how Val was going to "kill herself" and everyone would just accept it because...well, "Poor Val" and all that. And of course Jill was wearing an awful wig, tacky eyeglasses and dishwashing gloves during the whole thing. (From the episode "The Perfect Crime")

5. Local KL celebrity Karen gets another gift from her stalker--this time a beef heart, still oozing blood, with a lovely note attached that says he plans to "rip her black heart from her decaying body". (from the episode "Let's Get Married")

• Like Like x 6
  5. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,577
    Original Member Since:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    My choices:

1 - Michael Tyrone vowing revenge at the convent ("Flamingo Road" Series Finale)

upload_2017-10-26_14-21-58.png upload_2017-10-26_14-25-33.png
    2 - Valene giving birth to Rosemary´s Babies ("Knots Landing" Season 6)

upload_2017-10-26_14-28-52.png

3 - Julia Cumson going full wacko in prison ("Falcon Crest" Season 3)

upload_2017-10-26_14-42-44.png
    4 - A very hot Tommy McKay under the rain in the SF balcony ("Dallas" Season 11)

upload_2017-10-26_14-45-18.png
    5 - A caped Alexis Colby showing up at night in the middle of the road ("Dynasty" Season 9)

[​IMG]

Honorable mention: Mrs. Fisher from "KL"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
  6. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,772
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    I don't remember this...but there was something similar in season 9, when she appeared in front of Blake's car.
    [​IMG]
    (I think they were having an argument about Roger Grimes)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,577
    Original Member Since:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    You´re right Willie. While I was looking for pics, I checked it out and it´s from Season 9. It´s corrected now (you´re quicker than the eye, as usual...:hello:).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,167
    Original Member Since:
    1. Julia's nightmare in prison, dreaming that everyone around her is Angela. FALCON CREST

2. A mysterious cloaked figure enters a dark church, sits and opens the bible in front of him. In it is a message saying "I failed and someone suffers in his place". The figure lifts the cloak from his face and it's the "dead" Michael Tyrone. FLAMINGO ROAD

3. Angela is alone in her bedroom, the phone rings and she pick it up but no one is there. It rings again and again no one is there when she answers. The lights flicker on and off and we see a mysterious figure going up the stairs at Falcon Crest. It's Charley and his tries to kill Angela and we see what's happening in the shadows on the wall. FALCON CREST

4. The 3 ghostly sisters try to persuade Valene to jump to her death so she can become their mother. KNOTS LANDING

5. Maggie telling the children the story of the 2 daddies and Angela asks mystery figure "when are you going to tell Maggie you're still alive"? FALCON CREST

• Like Like x 8
  9. Mel O’Drama

Mel O’Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,826
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    1. Sid's surgery - Knots Landing (Season Three)
    [​IMG]
    That ugly black ventilator pumping away. The heavy breathing sounds. The grim determination of the surgeons. The beeping machines. The attempts to resuscitate him. Sid's arms outstretched like Jesus on the cross. All cross-cut with the ordinary conversation of Sid's family and friends in the waiting room. It's as dark as soap ever got in my opinion.

And a bonus mention to the earlier scenes of Sid's car upended in the sand, creaking away like a living thing.

2. Val gets the vapours - Knots Landing (Season Six)
    The scene in which the twins are born is incredibly unsettling.

3. The Three Sisters - Knots Landing (Season Three)
    They were creepy simply by being there. Then there was their mission to get Val to commit suicide.

4. Strange lights - The Colbys (Season Two)
    [​IMG]
    Say what you will about the flying saucer, but I loved the atmosphere created by its impending arrival and the aftermath: the reports on various characters' radios, the power failing, and the radio crackling ominously back into life, the disembodied voice now speaking to an empty car.

5. Gary's drunk tank seizure -
    Knots Landing
    (Season Four)
    Shocking, un-glossy and Ted Shackelford seemed like a thing possessed.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,772
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    I think this is one of those instances when it looks better if you already know what's going to happen.
    Because no-one would expect to see a UFO on a prime time soap, no-one would connect those things with something extraterrestrial, and when that thing arrives, one feels so flabbergasted that all those foreboding details are forgotten about.
    Power failing itself is not so extremely unusual or exciting, but if you know what (and who) is causing it...

I think we are thinking the same thing...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  11. Mel O’Drama

Mel O’Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,826
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think I knew about the flying saucer appearing ahead of time when it first aired here (or at least I'd read about it somewhere, but didn't fully believe it until I saw it). So the radio reports tapped into the anticipation. I think anyone familiar with prime time soap knows that if a report is heard on the radio there's usually a reason for it. And if there's a radio update later in the episode, it's something big.

If I remember correctly, we did see some strange lights behind the clouds earlier in the episode, which created a really spooky atmosphere. It's possible I may have connected the power outage with the spooky lights, even if I hadn't heard about the final scene. But yes, I think you're right

Oh wow… :gotcha:

• Like Like x 3
  12. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +560
    Original Member Since:
    18th November 2000
    1) Fallon encounters an alien and flies away in the spaceship: Although THE COLBYS was short lived this cliff-hanger just took the biscuit and IMHO left a considerable imprint in 1980’s T.V. Blake’s eldest daughter just walked up the ramp in a daze, she was face to face with a not so earthly body and the rest is history, – THE COLBYS.
    2) Bobby appears alive and well in Pam’s shower, during the summer of 1986: After flat lining the previous year the youngest Ewing son was getting ready for more oil business, as unconcerned as you like, – DALLAS.
    3) An imprisoned Julia has a nightmare: Prison was taking its toll on the winery heiress, so much so that her mother Angela was in a nightmare, as multiple characters. Steady on now Julia, – FALCON CREST.
    4) Rita arrives at the Carrington mansion, as Krystle: Could Krystle’s doppelganger reside in Blake’s house and convince everyone she was Mrs. Carrington? The entrance of the ginger haired character was all very eerie. Would the good Krystle ever be back? – DYNASTY.
    5) Ellie going into the SF bunkhouse and finding Jock’s belongings: Jock’s buckle, his pen knife and Ellie’s letters to him while in South America were in ranch foreman Wes Parmalee’s possessions. Why would he have these things? “They’re mine Miss Ellie, always have been!” – DALLAS.

Julia has a nightmare, in the state penitentiary. She dreams that her mother is a woman called Jenny, a warden and a cleaner, (a scene from season 3, 1983 – ’84):

Julia: “Jenny! Jenny wake up! I need to talk to someone. I think I’m loosing my mind.”

Jenny turns around in the bed and it’s Angela.

Angela: “You lost your mind years ago Julia.”

Julia is shocked, as she says: “What are you doing here?”

Angela: “Our last meeting was not satisfactory and far too short.”

Julia: “Help! Help me…..please help me!”

She runs to the warden, who turns around and the person is Angela.

Angela: “You’re beyond help Julia.”

Julia: “Where did everyone go?” She looks around and nobody is there.

Angela: “Well don’t worry. I have taken care off all your little friends. We have this whole place to ourselves.”

Julia opens the door: “No!”

There is a cleaner in the corridor. She looks at Julia and there is Angela again.

Angela: “You’ll never escape me Julia. Not in this life.”

The door closes. Julia looks around. Angela is standing in front of her, as the warden.

Julia: “Get away from me! I don’t want you here.”

Angela: “Here is exactly where I want you!”

Julia wakes from her nightmare. She is very distressed.

• Like Like x 8
  13. Gioberti84

Gioberti84 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +229
    1 - Julia's dream in prison, about Angela - FC
    2 - Roger Grimes haunting the Carringtons - Dynasty
    3 - Connie's almost fatal attraction with Ray - Dallas
    4 - Meredith Braxton alive in the coffin - FC
    5 - The witchcraft and Michael Tyrone - FR

• Like Like x 4
  14. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +574
    Original Member Since:
    About 2005
    1. RTE Greg marsden throwing his wife, Stephanie, off their boat to a crocodile. Realistically chillingly done

2. RTE jake and Jilly unceremoniously dump Olive’s body off their boat into the dark of Sydney harbour, after Olive had been bitten by a snake planted in the shower. Eiree and couldn’t have happened to a nicer person ;-)

3. The Rodger Grines storyline in Dynasty. Not so dark as to not be watchable but quite riviting and one of the best stories in the show in years

4. Rita as Krsytle. That character that George Hamilton played gave me the hebe gebbes

5. The weird (and dreadful) JR and Joel Grey in the final ep of Dallas. Tre bad

• Like Like x 4
  15. phil colby

phil colby Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Original Member Since:
    1. Dynasty season 9: the Roger Grimes storyline
    2. Colbys: Fallon and the spaceship
    3. Dynasty season 4: Claudia and Lancelot
    4. Falcon Crest season 9: Carlie tries to kill Angela
    5. Falcon Crest season 9: Angela awakes for a moment out of her coma

• Like Like x 5
  16. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,729
    Original Member Since:
    December 21st, 2013
    1. Julia's nightmare in prison FC
    2. Maggie's death FC
    3. Alexis in front of Blake's car DYNASTY
    4. Katherine tries to give Bobby a lethal injection DALLAS
    5. Val gives birth to the twins KL

• Like Like x 4
  17. Jessie

Jessie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,878
    Original Member Since:
    08 August 1999
    1. Laura Avery's rape on Knots Landing
    2. Joshua dies on Knots Landing

3. Ciji death
    4. Sid Fairgates death
    5. Cecil's having a heart attack

• Like Like x 4
  18. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,772
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    Since it's not a much-discussed topic I may as well add a few other unsettling moments:

DYNASTY.
    Dex arrives at Alexis' department and he sees her on the balcony, or at least, that's what he thinks.
    But she doesn't move and she doesn't speak.
    upload_2017-11-4_5-42-11.png
    There was something sinister about it.

But of course it wasn't Alexis, it only proved how deceitful the image was.
    upload_2017-11-4_5-45-36.png
    It looks a bit cheesy now, but I've always remembered this as a spine-chilling moment.

FALCON CREST.
    Was Jason Gioberti insane, or just lonely?
    Whatever the truth was, a hidden room inside your house is downright creepy.
    upload_2017-11-4_5-56-5.png
    "It smells like death".
    Shit, another room to hoover, Maggie thinks.

KNOTS LANDING.
    This is more about the idea than the storyline.
    upload_2017-11-4_6-1-16.png
    Abby is worried to see the fracture because it means they may have to reconstruct it.
    But watching these unsuspecting kids running and dancing on Peter Hollister's grave made me think he would come back as Knots Landing's Freddy Krueger.

THE COLBYS.
    Actually this one doesn't count as it was obviously a nightmare.
    Sable "comes home" only to find out that her sister has taken over her life and everything she stands for.
    upload_2017-11-4_6-11-25.png
    It looks very vintage, like a movie from the 1950s.

DYNASTY.
    However, it did happen on Dynasty. Krystle had already met Rita, a moment before Joel knocked her unconscious.
    That scene wasn't very exciting because instead of flipping out like a normal person would do, Krystle decides to call Blake.
    But it's very different when she sees her "body snatcher" on TV, apparently perfectly accepted by everyone and her husband in particular.
    upload_2017-11-4_6-22-28.png
    Of course it was abolutely insane, but also a great Twilight Zone moment.
    She even screamed "I am Krystle Carrington!", almost as if she had to convince herself of that very fact.

KNOTS LANDING.
    Mrs. Handelman, the mother of Ginger Ward's ex-boyfriend, terrorizes her with creepy baby stuff.
    But she seemed like such a nice lady, so there's that element of imposture again.
    upload_2017-11-4_6-34-28.png
    Eventually it focussed more on the drama (Ginger simply turned the tables and made it all about her loss) but for a moment Mrs. Handelman reminded me of Mrs. Voorhees' reveal.
    "Look what you did to him!"

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  19. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,772
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    Apartment (we call it a flat)

20. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,772
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    [​IMG]

1. FALCON CREST - Julia's nightmare (20 points)

2. KNOTS LANDING - Birth of the twins (12 points)
    2. DYNASTY - The deceased and perfectly coiffed Roger Grimes haunts the Carringtons (12 points)

3. KNOTS LANDING - Valene's encounter with 3 ghost-children, who are looking for a ghost-mother (10 points)

4. THE COLBYS - Fallon encounters an alien (9 points) Mel O'Drama described the events before & after, so that two-pointer is not included.
    4. FLAMINGO ROAD - Michael Tyrone is alive! (9 points)

5. KNOTS LANDING - Sid Fairgate's surgery (7 points) I assumed Jessie meant the same.

Congratulations, FALCON CREST [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2