1. Musical Secret Santa

It's a Secret!

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

The Strictly Final

Discussion in 'Reality TV Forum' started by Mel O'Drama, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,140
    Was anyone watching?

I don't usually, but caught the grand final. And oh my... Debbie McGee was wonderful. She took my breath away. Alexandra, too, was fantastic.

The guy who won was very underwhelming, I thought. He looked rigid and uncomfortable for most of the dances - like he was worried about getting sued for sexual harassment in ten years' time. But of course I've only seen part of the picture and I know these things are often based on popularity as much as anything.

But Debbie was robbed. Her homophobic stepson didn't help I think. I noticed he was wisely kept away from the audience.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,511
    Alexandra was the best dancer on the show but she has previous dance experience from working in West End shows and I think that turned some people off voting for her.

Debbie just wouldn't shut up about being 58. Yes we know your age Debs but just shut up about it and dance! She has even more dance experience than Alexandra and even had her own dance school. She is undoubtedly an accomplished dancer but her performances reached a plateau some weeks ago and she never really got any better. If you go into a show like Strictly Come Dancing as a seasoned dancer you have to consistently improve week on week to keep the public on side and she failed to do that and the non-dancers caught up with her and that probably contributed to her not winning.

Gemma Atkinson was my winner as she showed the most improvement over the course of the series and on Saturday she was the only one to put in her best performances for all 3 dances in the entire series. She is what the show should be all about: taking a complete novice and training them up to produce a near professional performance rather than showcasing the talents of already experienced dancers.

Which leaves Joe McFadden. A very likeable character who always had a smile on his face while he danced and looked like he was genuinely enjoying being part of the show. He also wasn't an experienced dancer and produced 3 very competent dances on Saturday. The professional dancer he worked with, Katya, is a brilliant choreographer and along with Oti is the best on the show. The dances that she choreographed for Joe made him look better that he was as she was always able to come up with routines that was able to showcase his talents, entertain the audience and threw in the occasional surprise and breath-taking move that people would remember. Taken as a pair, they were worthy winners.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Long Lashes

Long Lashes Soap Chat Enforcer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,039
    I’ve so enjoyed watching this series and I was also championing Gemma Atkinson due to her being a complete beginner, she also came across as a genuinely nice person who was thrilled to be learning to dance and I noticed she was always quick to give praise to her rivals.

It’s more than a dancing competition because the personalities of the contenders also sway the public votes. Alexandra is a fantastic dancer and she always received high praise and scores from the judges which I don’t think helped her, because many viewers prefer to support the underdog.

I thought Debbie was terrific throughout and for her 'Show Dance' in the final she performed a beautiful ballet routine, although this may have reminded the viewers that she is ballet trained and gone against her.

When it came to the final I was happy to see any of the four finalists win as they’d all entertained me in some way over the past weeks.

I like that 'Strictly' includes the more experienced dancers alongside those who have never danced before. I think to watch a complete series of novice dancers could become mundane and I enjoy seeing the mix of varying abilities.

4. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,832
    I don't feel Alexandra should have won - as Ome states she has experience in West End etc.

I think Debbie should have won, really don't see how Joe did it.

5. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,192

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,832
    Why are you screaming @Ome for Christmas ?

Oh wait, Ome didn't say that it was Angela :laughs:

7. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,192
    I get it, I'm always.....

:ss7:

8. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,511
    :confuse::confuse::confuse:
    But Debbie had even more dance experience than Alexandra.

Joe won because he started out as a very average dancer and ended dancing brilliantly. Debbie and Alexandra were very good from their very first dances and stayed at that level throughout. The public prefer to see someone improve over the duration of the series which is why Joe won.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,832
    I didn't realise Debbie had experience. :) I personally don't get why they are judged by professional judges every week and then the final say goes to the public.

10. Englishboy

Englishboy Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +387
    I agree with much of what has been said.

On finals night, Debbie turned in the best performance overall.

Alexandra was the most consistent dancer during this series.

And Joe was the most improved dancer.

I shall miss my fix of Strictly on a Saturday evening.

However, all is not lost.

Dancing on Ice - which has a similar format - gets underway on the 7th January on ITV.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 1