1. The World Cup of Soap Operas

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

SoapLand - The Battle Of The Theme Tunes - The Result

Discussion in 'SoapLand - The Battles' started by Willie Oleson, May 21, 2019.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,868
    Medals:
    Yeah yeah yeah, I know it's been done many times before, but not in the Battle Threads.
    I'm sure most of us are familiar with the various tunes, and if not then you know where you can find them.
    Nevertheless, I'll post some audio clips to get our voting juices flowing, as it were.

Oh dear, something went terribly astray in the SoapLand audio-edit room [​IMG]
    Please help me, Mr. Channing!​

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,712
    Medals:
    Lol, having a few technical difficulties Willie?? Interesting versions though!

3. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,712
    Medals:
    Might as well complete the collection.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,868
    Medals:
    This is probably the most simple topic we've done so far, but it's so hard to choose and rank the tunes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,712
    Medals:
    Really hard. They're all great in very different ways. I guess nostalgia plays a role too. I know my number 4 and 5, but the order of my top 3 is almost interchangeable.

6. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,512
    1. Dallas - instantly recognisable - ‘run in to the room ‘Dallas’ is on’ - pause the world. One of the most famous theme tunes on the planet .
    2. Return to Eden (the mini series had a different theme to the maxi series, but I won’t split hairs, they were both sweeping)
    3. Dynasty - Bill Conti won an Emmy for this didn’t he?
    4. The Colby’s
    5. Falcon Crest

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,122
    Medals:
    1. Knots Landing - Such a great theme and they revamped it over and over again and every version was a winner. I particularly liked the version first used in season 4 which had a more dramatic opening and the season 11 version which had a more chilled vibe.

2. Falcon Crest - I just love the drama of this theme tune and it worked so well with the video clips used in the title sequence. The sweeping orchestral sounds blow you away.

3. The Colbys - I always loved how the opening few notes are the same as Dynasty to indicate the connection between the 2 shows before going into a completely different tune.

4. Dallas - When I was a child I thought this tune was the greatest but listening to it now, I think I was letting my love of the show influence my affection for the theme tune. It's a good piece of music but not as great as some of the other soaps.

5. Flamingo Road - Nice piece of music which evokes the feeling of the palm trees, sunshine and lifestyle of Truro.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,868
    Medals:
    I've considered the music itself, how it suits the theme of the show and how it works for the opening credits sequence.

1. FALCON CREST
    Eventhough the composer himself has described this theme as baroque, I find it very "American" in sound, almost like a more thrilling version of the Little House On The Prairie theme.
    The twirling segments support the idea that the opening sequence is seen from the falcon's point of view, which justifies the lack of movement in the actors title cards - Susan Sullivan's crazy headspin notwithstanding.
    I also feel the most nostalgic about this theme but I like to think that this hasn't influenced my vote.

2. DYNASTY
    Very lush, romantic and saga-esque - especially the more sober version that was used for season 1. However, Al Corley's title card (during that beautiful bridge) is the only one that's in sync with the music, so maybe it would have been better to show the backgrounds without the title cards playing over them, that way it would focus on the Dynasty world.
    The full-on-trumpet version from season 2 onwards definitely worked better for the actors presenting themselves.

3. THE COLBYS
    It's so pompous and majestic it almost takes my breath away. There's a fanmade The Colbys/The Tudors mash-up, and it even works for old European royalty.

4. FLAMINGO ROAD
    The only prime time soap intro that could have worked with vocals. The groovy theme (similar to Love Boat) is combined with John Barry-esque sultriness, and I think it's the perfect theme for this 80s Southern "Peyton Place".

5. KNOTS LANDING
    The DALLAS theme seems more on-topic, but since KNOTS wasn't an Important Family saga soap it also made sense that their intro was slighty more nondescript (it could have been the theme for Cagney & Lacey or Lou Grant), and it has more variation which covers the scope of this show (multiple families). It's a beautiful 1970s American time capsule.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,122
    Medals:
    Had Peyton Place been eligible, it would have been my number 1 choice.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,260
    Is this limited to the 80s only?

11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,868
    Medals:
    Yes:)

12. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,635
    Medals:
    1. Dallas
    It's the first theme song I ever learnt to recognize. I love it. I even learnt to play it on the piano!
    Oh and in an old questionnaire I had my classmates fill out when I was in High School (late 90s) more people liked the theme than the show! :lol:

2. Falcon Crest
    I also vividly remember this one from my childhood.

3. Knots Landing
    It has such a happy vibe to it.

4. Dynasty
    It is beautiful.

5. The Colby's
    I can't even remember what it sounds like right now.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,121
    Medals:
    Not hard for me!

1. Dallas
    2. Knots Landing

That's all I can do :) Dallas wins for me.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,868
    Medals:
    Can't you rank the other tunes? (3 to 5)

15. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,121
    Medals:
    I have never seen Falcon Crest and don't remember the Colbys theme! I will give them a listen on YouTube :) Just for you Big Willie.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,121
    Medals:
    OK here we go again:

1. Dallas - nothing beats Dallas for me in terms of anything really - but the theme is just MAGNETIC - and enough to wake me out of a coma should the time come. I have adored it all my life.

2. Knots Landing - love the theme and watched it most next to Dallas :)

3. Gonna go for Falcon Crest here - have never watched it but really enjoy the theme and when Jane Wyman's window went down, I thought 'Och look there's @Angela Channing' :D

4. Dynasty - not a fan of the show by any means but will put it in 4th place for theme.

5. The Colbys - really don't like the theme to this one, so it comes in last place.

That ok @Willie Oleson ? :D

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
  17. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,868
    Medals:
    Sarah, I am speechless. If I could give you one of my many, many soapchat medals I would.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,260
    Where we find out how much I love Bill Conti...

1. Dynasty: As I said in another thread, "it is regal and expansive, like the show itself in its first season. The trumpet reminds you of medieval royal parties going on a fox hunt. No soap theme matches a show's title so well."

2. Falcon Crest: I always found Falcon Crest closer to Dynasty than any other soap (and certainly closer to Dynasty than "The Colbys"), and the theme has the same orchestral qualities of Dynasty, but with a different sensibility for the faster pace Falcon Crest always had in its DNA---the faster theme tempo promises a more action-oriented soap, which early FC certainly was, from the fist-fights to the season-long murder mystery.I also like that it is the only one of the four supersoaps featuring a big city (sorta--it is Frisco) in its sequence.

3. Knots Landing: Growing up, California had always been more America to me than any other part of the US (there, I said it), probably owning to its film and TV hype, and the hype of the dramatic beat opening over the cliffs, followed by the mellower saxophone has that combination of over-dramatic and breezy attitude the show and the state are known for.

4. Falcon Crest: (season 9 theme) I don't know if I can count as a separate one, but here goes. I had said earlier that "while daring to tamper with a Bill Conti theme is the definition of musical hubris, the darting tempo of this version and the grittier title cards gives a vision of the show as it wanted to be in season 9, but it just fumbled in the attempt." But the theme tune does not.

5. The Colbys: The music itself is amazing--epic and heroic, though one feels a bit like a soap has done that heroic pomposity before--and it has! It was called Emerald Point N.A.S. Nonetheless, the sweeping music promises excitement.

And if #4 is disqualified, then I give you a choice between two non-American ones, quite pop both: either

Return to Eden:
    I like how it moves from the first crescendoing 30 seconds to a softer middle and then returns to former dizzying heights
    or
    Die Schwarzwaldklinik (Black Forest Clinic): maybe I liked the forests in the title, maybe I liked gaping at Sascha Hehn as Dr. Udo Brinkmann, but I was always drawn to its soothing tune

And here it is for those who have never heard of it--Dr. Udo's hunkiness appears at 0:27 (P.S.--the clip is from the very last episode)

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,260
    By the way, I wish Dynasty had included such a version at some point...

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,868
    Medals:
    Steven's Brokeback Mountain theme?

• Funny Funny x 4