The Top 20 TV Shows I have watched since I was a Kid.

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by cardiff1984, Sep 3, 2018.

1. cardiff1984

cardiff1984 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +38
    After I have completed the favoured 20 Shows I have seen since I was a kid, I will then do 'My Favourite 40 Movies of All Time.'

Here's my Top 20 Favourite 20 shows/Series.

20. Tales From The Crypt

DURATION OF SERIES: 1989 -1996.

NO. EPISODES: 93.

NO. SEASONS: 7.

10 FAVOURITE EPISODES:

1.'What's Cookin.' - S4

2. 'Collection Completed.' - S1

3. 'Loved To Death.' - S3

4. 'The Trap.' - S3

5. 'Werewolf Concerto.' - S4

6. 'The Switch.' - S2

7. 'Dead Right.' - S2

8. 'Came The Dawn.' - S5

9. 'Undertaking Parlour - S3

10. 'Only Sin Deep.' - S1

[​IMG]

I only discovered this show a year ago on Youtube and watched every episode. Each episode is half hour long, but my God I didn't it was that good and had so many familiar faces appearing in many of the episodes, such as Christopher Reeves, Demi Moore, Lea Thompson, Michael J Fox, Brad Pitt, Daniel Craig etc- the list can go on. Each episode had me on tender hooks and they were fun to watch.

The series itself was set as an adult themed show and some scenes had sex, violence, strong profanity, gore and some comedy. I always waited for the twisted end conclusions and mostly I wasn't disappointed.

Some plots were farfetched, but that made it even better, because in a show this dark, some things were never supposed to live up to reality, this is a supernatural/Sci Fi/Horror after all.

For instance in the third season episode 'The Trap,' starring Teri Garr(Close encounters of the third kind & Tootsie) and Michael J Fox (back to the future), a husband fakes his death to claim $500 thousand and goes to South America, whilst his wife is supposedly just holding onto the insurance money. Being suspicious, he returns to the states and finds his wife is cohabitating with his brother and he tells the Police, that he is the man who faked his death, but they refuse to believe his claims and he is eventually executed for......his own murder? That's what makes conclusions like this so dark in TFTC, otherwise it wouldn't so interesting. If they wanted to be boring, they could have identified him through finger prints, DNA and asked him questions on past history and other claims.

Most of the episodes were rather bloody too. Such as the Episode 'What's Cookin,' which I consider my favourite. Christopher Reeves (superman) plays Fred a down on his luck husband, who runs a restaurant just serving squid. His wife Wilma, played by Bess Armstrong (Jaws 3-D) is his irritated wife. Judd Nelson (Brat Pack), as Gaston and Meat Leaf as Mr Chumley make up a strong episode cast. With threat of eviction by Chumley, Fred is at his wits end, but is given hope by Gaston who serves up steak from the remains of Chumley and feeds him the customers.

Wilma: 'Mmmm, I don't know what the recipe is, but that's brilliant.'

The series remained strong up until the seventh season, as it moved from the USA to the UK and it didn't live to it's hype to the plots twist ending or the stories itself. However, it could have continued beyond season 7 and returned to the states, as a way to try bring the audience back. But, it didn't.

The series was due for a reboot this decade, but has been cancelled. I don't know if for now or for good. But for it's time on air, it worked perfectly, especially since majority of the episodes had strong casting.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. cardiff1984

cardiff1984 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +38
    19. Happy Valley. (2014- Present)

[​IMG]

DURATION OF SERIES: 2014-Present

NO. SEASONS. 2. (so far)

No. EPISODES: 12.

This role has shown why Sarah Lancashire is considered one of the best actresses in Britain. Even Hollywood should snap this icon up. Sarah had come a long way, from her role of Raquel in Coronation Street as a timid and comic character to an eventual much more dramatic, serious and emotional one.

Lancashire portrays Catherine Cawood a Police Sergeant who is haunted by the death of her daughter, who had committed suicide several years earlier, following a rape, by Tommy Lee Royce (James Norton). Following the rape, produced Catherine's grandson Ryan, whom she has raised practically on her own.
    Siobhan Finneran(from Benidorm) also co-stars as Catherine's ex-drug addict sister, Clare Cartwright.

The series became a hit, with great acting and continuous plots. The kidnapping of Ann Gallagher (Charlie Murphy) eventually built up to some tense and violent scenes. One scene especially, was the brutal and unprovoked murder of officer Kirsten Mcaskill, a young police trainee mowed down and continuously ran over by Tommy Lee Royce, who in desperate measures concealed up the kidnapping.

Later, Cawood would be severely beaten by Royce, following her rescuing Ann.

Also starring from the sitcom Benidorm in season 1, was Steve Pemberton playing Kevin Weatherill a clerk, who ask for a pay rise from his boss, Nevison Gallagher to fund his kids education. When Nevison decides to sleep on it, Kevin plots to have his daughter kidnapped with the help of drug provider Ashely Cowgill, as well as Royce himself and somewhat naïve Lewis Whippy.

As the show progresses, it centres more on Tommy's determination to have a relationship with his son Ryan, whom is immediately is protected by his grandmother. This storyline continues into the second season, with Tommy still trying his best to seek his son, even behind bars, by using Miss Wealand played by Shirley Henderson to connect to Ryan and be like a messenger to Tommy.

The storyline continues as a separate one to a serial killer on the loose.

A third season has been in talks and a possible storyline centered on the background of Tommy Lee Royce.
    For anyone who's not seen this. Worth a watch, it's tense and the acting is great especially from Lancashire and Norton.