1. The World Cup of Soap Operas

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

SoapLand - The Battle Of The Trips - The Result

Discussion in 'SoapLand - The Battles' started by Richard Channing, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,707
    Medals:
    Keeping with a foreign theme (although it doesn't necessarily have to be to a foreign country), this round we are gonna focus on the trips that took our Soapland residents to unfamiliar surroundings. Sometimes for business, sometimes for pleasure, perhaps to attend a wedding, or maybe for a quickie divorce, putting our characters in far away places often meant all kinds of drama and intrigue ensued.

Both national and international trips can be included, as long as the character/s went out of state. So other cities in other states are permitted, as are spin-off crossovers.

Bon voyage!

bombardier-global-6000_01.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,537
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Great choice of theme as usual!!!

1- Pam & Sue Ellen in: "Road to Hong Kong" (Dallas Season 7)

upload_2019-2-14_23-20-11.jpeg

"Look, American women wearing shoulderpads,
    let´s take pics and make cheap copies to export...!"

2- Blake & Alexis in: "I´m his wife, b¡tch!" (Dynasty Season 7)​

upload_2019-2-14_23-21-3.jpeg

"And now, dear ladies, we are going to make
    a new recipe: Krystle croquettes..."​

3- Gary, Val & Gary in: "Knot in California Anymore" (Knots Landing Season 4)

[​IMG]

"You made a mistake darling: Sue Ellen
    drinks vodka, not Budweiser beer!"​

4- Pam & Mark in: "Moi Love Cannes" (Dallas Season 5)

upload_2019-2-14_23-27-54.jpeg

"Go figure Mark, a whole generation of soapchatters
    will hate you because they think you wanna sleep
    with me. Isn´t it funny...?​

5- Chris & Elena in: "Return of the Mummy?" (TNT Dallas Season 2)

[​IMG]

"And don´t ever call me Pammy again or I´ll get you fired!"​

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,508
    Great topic!

Without a doubt number one is Pam and Sue Ellen in Hong Kong. Love that!! I’ll come back with the rest once others on here have given some more ideas but that heads and shoulders clear winner for me :0)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,858
    Medals:
    1. The Colbys in Greece - THE COLBYS
    upload_2019-2-16_0-57-59.png
    Not much room for sister bonding during this trip as the fifth wheel (Sable) emotionally manipulates her sister in the fifth wheel position.
    The scenes are filled with passive-aggressiveness and frustration, warnings and accusations disguised as compliments and concern.
    But it also allows Sable - in a "the lady of the house speaking" sort of way - to indulge in her fool's paradise, thus manipulating herself in the process.

2. Christopher and Elena in Zürich - DALLAS
    upload_2019-2-16_1-37-59.png
    The mystery, the intrigue and the big dramatic payoff makes this one of the (if not the) most important soap trips, imho.
    I understand that fans wanted to watch Victoria Principal again, but story-wise this was the best option. But since they did tantalize the audience with Pam's comeback it feels as if they managed to have their cake and eat it. Excellent stuff.

3. The Ewings in Salzburg - DALLAS
    upload_2019-2-16_1-47-31.png
    The beautiful scenery reminds me of the Euro-Dynasty that never was and to be honest it's a tad frustrating.
    Naturally they picked the most touristic venues and there's a dash of National Lampoon's Vacation, and Cally is perfect as the perky and chatty oil tycoon's wife.
    They're not the only Texans visiting Europe, and JR meets a mystery person from the past. And he does some disco dancing too (but hey, what happens in Europe...).

4. Alexis visits Jeff in Los Angeles - DYNASTY
    upload_2019-2-16_2-9-14.png
    Alexis is feeling a little blue and she decides to visit her daughter and granddaughter, but of course we don't see that because JC doesn't want to do The Colbys.
    It's Jeff re-crossing over to his parent soap (although his parents are in the spin-off) but it feels more like neutral territory - only a nondescript appearance by Michael Culhane reminds the viewer that they're still in Dynasty Land.
    Nevertheless, because of this scene Alexis has to acknowledge the The Colbys reality.

5. The Champions visit Los Angeles - THE YELLOW ROSE
    upload_2019-2-16_2-29-16.png
    The horse races, to be precisely, and it's a trip they're not going to forget because the youngest Champion heir is kidnapped by a paedophile ring.
    Los Angeles is depicted just as outerwordly as Salzburg, showing all kinds of MTV people who would never come near their precious ranch.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,505
    Medals:
    1. Val's trip to Shula, Tennessee, Knots Landing. Well, eventually Abby and Gary ended up there too, but this was mostly a "Val" plot, even if she thought she was Verna. The scene in the diner where Verna has no idea who Abby is still makes me smile. I still believe the scenes where Verna is about to marry that rat, Parker Winslow, were filmed on 'Westfork', since those white, split-rail fences in the background look identical to those we saw so often in Westfork scenes.

2. Karen and Mack's elopement to Las Vegas, KL. So many of our favorite KL couples eloped, but at least we got to see the MacKenzies' ceremony in all its chintzy, tacky glory. The bride giggled through the whole ceremony, which must have made Mack wonder what the wedding night was going to be like.

3. Val's book tour stops in Dallas, KL. You just KNEW she'd end up there, the home of her source material (whether she admitted it or not). JR asking for an autographed copy ("to put in my collection, next to the knitting needles of Madame DuFarge") was a highlight for me, though I'm sure the material playing out for the crossover with Dallas (the reading of Jock's will, which mostly involved Gary and Abby) had less impact since I didn't see the Dallas episode that aired the same night.

4. Karen and Mack confront Dr. Ackerman in Las Vegas, KL. He ends up blowing his brains out in front of the MacKenzies, another messy facet of the twins kidnapping story. It could have happened anywhere, of course--most of the action was in a hotel ballroom and a parking lot---but it seemed appropriate that Ackerman lost his biggest gamble of all in Sin City.

5. The cast in jeopardy, Falcon Crest. Practically everyone piled onto a plane, only to have it go down in a season-ending cliffhanger. I'm not sure where they ended up crashing, but it qualifies since it was supposed to be on its way to Italy (to spread not-Julia's ashes). They must have crashed onto the MyPillow factory in Minnesota, considering the low body count.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,620
    Medals:
    1. The Ewings go to Europe (Dallas)
    Salzburg, Vienna and Moscow.
    Watching this as a kid also made me want to go there.

2. April and Bobby's honeymoon in Paris. (Dallas)
    So tragic. They go to supposedly one of the most romantic cities in the world and April is kidnapped...

3. Blake and Alexis in Singapore (Dynasty)
    I loved the amnesia storyarc and seeing a glimpse of what Alexis abd Blake's marriage must have been like. I wish the plot would have lasted longer with them returning to Denver.

4. Val in Shula, Tennessee (Knots Landing)

Another amnesia plot but done differently as it was caused by mental trauma. I loved how Gary went after her and was the one who brought her out of it...

5. Sue Ellen and Pam in Hong Kong (Dallas)
    I loved that they went on location. Watching it made me wanna go there too. :)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Medals:
    1) Sue Ellen and Pam's visit to Hong Kong - DALLAS.

2) J.R. et al. go to Europe - DALLAS.

3) Alexis and Blake in Singapore - DYNASTY.

4) Richard and Angela meet someone from FC's past, in Nevada - FALCON CREST.

5) Jock, J.R., Bobby and Ray on a hunting trip, in Lansdowne - DALLAS.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,858
    Medals:
    Does anyone know if the set used for Falcon Crest's "Rome" episode in season 1 was created for that very episode, or did they borrow parts of a set that was previoulsy used in a movie?

9. Victoriafan3

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,508
    1. Pam and Sue Ellen in Hong Kong :)
    2. Alexis and Blake in Singapore. I agree I wish this story arc had run longer. I remember back then there was a ratings surge for these two episodes and then dropped back again when Mertle and Blake reunited.
    3. Pam and Mark in France
    4. Alexis and Jeff in LA
    5. Val and JR in the bookshop

Thank you for your super inspiring ideas. Glad I waited, you all jogged my memory :)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,707
    Medals:
    1. Rendezvous in Rome

BlakeAlexisNight.jpg

Although I was tempted to include 'A Love Remembered' in Singapore, which I do also love, it's more of a fantasy in a way, the clock turned back due to Blake's amnesia. But I prefer their encounter in Rome as we see that spark between them and that a part of Blake still wants Alexis. And it lets us believe she may even be in with a chance. I always felt the memory and the potential of a united Blake and Alexis was more tantalizing than his marriage to Krystle. Plus this episode is fun as Alexis schemes and is in honey trap mode to achieve her goals.

2. JR visits Knots Landing ('Daniel')

art-of-knots-landing-daniel.jpg

It's really fun to watch JR and Abby scheme and try to outmanoeuvre each other. He wants the copy of Val's manuscript, she wants to know what Gary is likely to inherit from Jocks will. Each one obliges the other. JR is happy as long as Abby keeps Gary away from Southfork and Abby is happy at the prospect of marrying a millionaire. Another highlight of this trip is when JR pays a surprise visit to poor Val who is not in the least bit happy to see him.

3. Angela and Philip in Paris

ang.JPG

Falcon Crest's dark and rich history gets a little darker and a little richer as secrets about Henri Denault and Jaqueline are revealed. And the discovery that Richard was raised and mentored by a Nazi known as 'The Dark Angel' adds a new layer to his sinister past.

4. Sable and Zach in Morocco

sable.JPG

I love this scene where Sable and Zach see a shooting star and each one makes a wish. Zach wishes for their happiness, Sable doesn't reveal hers but we all know what it is. And it's granted in the most fabulously soapy way possible as the wedding between Jason and Francesca which is supposed to be taking place at that very moment is halted by the return of Philip. His brother, her husband, back from the dead. Oh what a tangled incestuous web those Colbys weaved!

5. Pam and Sue Ellen in Hong Kong

dallas-decoders-summer-vacations-guide-6-copy.jpg

There was a real novelty in seeing our beloved characters so far away from home and have it actually be filmed there. This was a first for Dallas at the time. I also enjoyed seeing Pam and Sue Ellen, whose relationship had often been fraught to say the least, bonding and spending time together. And at the time I was also excited by the suspense of the search for Mark. Was he alive? Would she find him?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 7
  11. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,707
    Medals:
    Sorry I don't remember that. But I also have a question if anyone can remember. I was trying to think of the season and episode where Chase and Angela (and possibly Richard) went to some exotic location for an awards ceremony of some sorts, like a kind of 'best wine of the year' thing. Angela expected to win but in the end Chase won it for his Chardonnay or Champagne, I can't remember. I thought maybe it was held in Hawaii but I'm not sure about that either.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,707
    Medals:
    Saturday is your last day to vote for your favourite trips.

13. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,537
    Medals:
    Your sig pic is mesmerizing as usual. It looks as if Sue Ellen has joined the Apocalypse coven of American Horror Story!!!

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Medals:
    As far as I know it was a previously used set.

The wine awards were in season 5 and took place in Hawaii.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,094
    Medals:
    I'm a bit late and I've not had time this week to do any screen caps but here are my top 5:

1. Fielding and Constance are held hostage in the Bahamas while on honeymoon. FLAMINGO ROAD
    2. Pam meets Dr Miller in Jamaica who tells her he met Mark Graison. I liked this just because it's good to see Jamaica featured in a prime time soap. DALLAS
    3. Valene goes to Tennessee and becomes Verna the waitress after she develops a mental health problem following her babies being kidnapped. KNOTS LANDING
    4. Angela goes on a journey to the church run children's home where she is introduced to Father Chris. FALCON CREST
    5. JR and Jack go to the masked ball in Martinique with Angelica Nero. DALLAS

• Like Like x 3
  16. Victoriafan3

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,508
    Oh I forgot that one. Yes it was good @Angela Channing

Please could you drop JR and Val in the Dallas bookshop at put Pam in the Carribean with Dr Miller and Gerald Kane there instead?

Soz. Thanks :)

17. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,707
    Medals:
    The results are in:

1. Pam and Sue Ellen in Hong Kong (17 points)

dallas-decoders-summer-vacations-guide-6-copy.jpg

2. Blake and Alexis in Singapore (14 points)

Dynasty162.jpg

3. The Ewings in Europe and Val in Shula (7 points)

upload_2019-2-16_1-47-31.png Uncharted Territory 4.jpg

4. Val's book tour (7 points)

images.jpg

5. Pam and Mark in France, Blake and Alexis in Rome and Sable and Frankie in Greece (5 points)

upload_2019-2-14_23-27-54.jpeg BlakeAlexisNight.jpg upload_2019-2-16_0-57-59.png

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,537
    Medals:
    Am I the only one who considers USA as one country and only took into account the soap trips abroad?

19. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,858
    Medals:
    :cool1

Congratulations, Dallas![​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,537
    Medals:
    Yes but moi is getting a bit confused because...if the crossover is done by a "Dallas" character into "Knots", and we only see this in the latter show, it shouldn´t be a trip because J.R. didn´t really go anywhere on "Dallas". And if J.R. comes to Knots on "Knots", it´s a visit and knot a trip from one of the main characters...and then when Gary went to Dallas in Pam´s dream, it´s knot a usual trip but rather a "trip" (Pam´s). Oh I´m so confused and I´m not even an alcoholic...

upload_2019-2-25_20-22-2.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 2