1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. SoapLand The Final Battle

How Will It End?

Dismiss Notice

SoapLand - The Battle Of The Twists - The Result

Discussion in 'SoapLand - The Battles' started by Richard Channing, May 28, 2019.

1. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Star EXP: 6 Years

Threads:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +8,473
    Medals:
    Every now and then the soaps would throw us a curve ball that we didn't see coming. From shock revelations to events that seemed to come out of left field, Soapland often like to serve up a surprise to keep us on our toes. Modern soaps tend to really overdo it with the twists and 'OMG' moments, but back in the day this plot device was used more sparingly, and consequently was often more effective.

So, what were your top 5 favourite twists?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  2. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +7,177
    Medals:
    I take it Bobby doesn't count as we had an inkling it was coming??

3. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Winner EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +6,156
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I have chosen my favorites independently if they were retconned or not...Just the impression I had from watching it the very first time.

1- Bobby "dies" when saving Pam from death ("Dallas: Swan Song")
    2- Jessica Montford actually is Dusty´s mother ("Dallas: Hush...Hush, Sweet Jessie")
    3- Maggie gives birth to a third child from Chase ("Falcon Crest: Dance of Deception")
    4- Pam turns out to have a secret mother and beechsister ("Dallas: The Prodigal Mother")
    5- Gary and Val re-re-marry ("Knots Landing: The Last One Out")
    6- Miss Piggy married Bobby Ewing (Miss Piggy´s Dream Season)

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +24,237
    Medals:
    Huh? What??

5. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Hero EXP: 13 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,678
    Medals:
    Yea... Didn't Clayton and his first wife adopt Dusty? As Lady Jessica had him when she was a teen?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Hero EXP: 13 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,678
    Medals:
    1. Dynasty - Fallon shot Roger Grimes.
    2. Dallas - Ray Krebbs is a Ewing.
    3. Dallas - Katherine kills Bobby while trying to kill Pam, and kills herself in the process. (The retcon doesn't matter)
    4. The Colbys - Jason Colby is Jeff's father.
    5. Dynasty - Jason Colby is not Miles and Monica's father.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Richard Channing

Threads:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +8,473
    Medals:
    Bobby was involved in a few twists so I'm not sure which one you mean, but I'll leave it up to people's discretion to decide what qualifies as a twist.

8. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +869
    As usual, all of mine are Dallas nominations - I didn't know much about the show when I watched, so it felt like most storylines were twists to me:eck:

1. Kristin's baby reveal, after it was revealed she shot J.R.
    2. Pam's paternity reveal and Digger's deathbed confession
    3. Ray's paternity reveal
    4. Pam's car accident
    5. Mark Grayson is alive (but, actually... not)

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +24,237
    Medals:
    1. FALCON CREST - the cartel's mysterious Number One turns out to be...mother!
    [​IMG]

2. KNOTS LANDING - a spectacular and horrific discovery in Gary's trunk.
    [​IMG]

3. KNOTS LANDING - "It's not Miss Fairgate, it's Mrs Tony Fenice!"
    upload_2019-5-29_0-23-24.png
    Karen gasps with horror.

4. DALLAS - Ann Ewing's daughter has never been missing at all!
    [​IMG]
    "My father rescued me that day at the fair. He saved me from my mother".

5. DALLAS - Yes sir, that's my baby!
    [​IMG]

I'm sure there are many more but these are some of my favourite OhMyGod! moments.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
  10. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 20 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,454
    Medals:
    1. Mack meets Sheila Fisher and "her" babies, Knots Landing. During a routine investigation of the Tidal Basin murders, Mack visits the home of a young mother with twins....unaware that the twins are Val's. The show makes it rather clear by superimposing the closing credits over a freeze-frame shot of them in their high-chairs.

2. Room service freaks Gary out, KL. While on his honeymoon, Cathy Geary and her Ciji-lookin' self showed up in his room.. She brought him room-service food, but almost had to clean up after he crapped his pants.

3. Angela finds out Richard is her son, Falcon Crest. Not only was it a bold move for a cliffhanger, it re-set the whole show. The 'flashback' was a nice touch.

4. Peter's shocking demise, KL. Abby is seen washing her hands, then encounters Olivia crouched over the blood-splattered body. Both are shocked--and assume the other is responsible. The viewer is left to wonder which one did it, or did neither do it?

5. Dr. Ackerman ain't no snitch, KL. When Mack and Karen track him down and insist he confess his role in the kidnapping of Val's babies, he chooses instead to blow his brains out.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Richard Channing

Threads:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +8,473
    Medals:
    I had already tracked down this scene to make a GIF of it too for my list but you beat me to it! :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Addict EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    1. Lilimae runs over Chip with Karen in the passenger seat. A scene I never saw coming. Hats off to the KL writers, directors, Michelle Lee, and, of course, the incredible Julie Harris.
    2. Gary sees Cathy for the first time. The look on Gary's face makes that whole scene. A special Jimmy Todd emmy, I'll call it the Jimmy, to Ted Shackleford. It comes with champagne that has NOT been frozen in the bottle.
    3. Mary Frances comes to visit Greg and is shot sitting at his computer.
    4.Anne Matheson realizing she's not pregnant with Greg's baby, it's menopause. There's something about the look on Anne's face and the way she slowly stops fanning herself. Michelle Phillips was a great addition to the show.
    5.Claudia saves Greg's life by "stealing" the kidney out from under that poor guy who was next on the list. The final shot of his devastated wife is, imho, one of the darkest moments on the soaps. Also, a layered scene. It's ruthless of Claudia, BUT she's saving her brother's life, BUT is she doing it because she's still after his money, BUT she told the hospital Greg would create a special wing at the hospital which could save many lives, BUT the shot of that shattered wife...
    Knots Landing gold reeking of brimstone.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  13. Jimmy Todd

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    1. Lilimae runs over Chip with Karen in the passenger seat. A scene I never saw coming. Hats off to the KL writers, directors, Michelle Lee, and, of course, the incredible Julie Harris.
    2. Gary sees Cathy for the first time. The look on Gary's face makes that whole scene. A special Jimmy Todd emmy, I'll call it the Jimmy, to Ted Shackleford. It comes with champagne that has NOT been frozen in the bottle.
    3. Mary Frances comes to visit Greg and is shot sitting at his computer.
    4.Anne Matheson realizing she's not pregnant with Greg's baby, it's menopause. There's something about the look on Anne's face and the way she slowly stops fanning herself. Michelle Phillips was a great addition to the show.
    5.Claudia saves Greg's life by "stealing" the kidney out from under that poor guy who was next on the list. The final shot of his devastated wife is, imho, one of the darkest moments on the soaps. Also, a layered scene. It's ruthless of Claudia, BUT she's saving her brother's life, BUT is she doing it because she's still after his money, BUT she told the hospital Greg would create a special wing at the hospital which could save many lives, BUT the shot of that shattered wife...
    Knots Landing gold reeking of brimstone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 21 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,529
    Medals:
    1. Richard is Angela Channing's son - FALCON CREST - Angela's arch enemy is revealed to be the son she thought died shortly after birth. Totally unexpected and brilliantly revealed using footage from one of Jane Wyman's old films. Just magnificent and one of my favourite soap scenes ever.

[​IMG]

2. Sheila Fisher has Val's babies - KNOTS LANDING - Ben and Mack visit Sheila Fisher while investigating Galveston Industries and she is seen with a baby. After they leave, she takes the baby into another room and we see that she has another child of a similar age so we immediately realise they must be Val's twins.

[​IMG]

3. JR is behind Lisa's Alden's custody battle for Christopher - DALLAS - Bobby angrily confronts Lisa outside her apartment about her attempt to get custody of her brother's son. Bobby leaves and Lisa goes inside. Unexpectedly, not only is JR is inside but his subsequent conversation with Lisa makes us realise that he is paying her to instigate the custody battle. This was a totally jaw-dropping moment for me as I never suspected it.

[​IMG]

4. Julia is not dead - FALCON CREST - A mystery voice in the woods calls out Emma's name. It's revealed to be Julia who everyone thought had died in the spring house fire.

[​IMG]

5. Pamela finds out Digger is not her daddy - DALLAS - On his death bed, Digger not only reveals that he killed Hutch McKinney but also that Hutch was Pam's real father.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
  15. Jimmy Todd

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    For me the Falcon Crest twist when Angela learns that Richard Channing is her son really shows what a good actress Jane Wyman was. The range of emotions on her face really creates the gravitas in that scene.

• Agree Agree x 6
  16. Gioberti84

Gioberti84 Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 11 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +918
    Medals:
    1 - Hutch McKinney is Pamela's father and not Digger - Dallas
    2 - Angela's first born didn't die but was stolen and adopted. Richard was the baby, from all those years ago - Falcon Crest
    3 - Amos Krebbs tells Ray he is not his daddy. Jock is revealed as Ray's pap - Dallas
    4 - Alexis is the star witness, with veil - Dynasty
    5 - Peter Hollister's death - Knots Landing

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Richard Channing

Threads:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +8,473
    Medals:
    1. Cliff strikes oil

cliff.JPG

Poor old Cliff hadn't had much luck in his war against JR and the Ewings, and this episode saw him humiliated yet again. JR had set him up just like he had done before and it seemed like it was all over for Cliff. But in a wonderful twist on an already tried and tested scenario his luck was suddenly about change. At the eleventh hour his offshore wells come in making him one of the richest oilmen in Dallas. This would make him a real force to be reckoned with in the oil business and the beauty of it was that it was all thanks to JR.

2. Jaqueline's reveal

JP.JPG

As it turns out Jaqueline is even more shady and fabulous than we could possibly have imagined, as she reveals herself to be a powerful kingpin of almost bond villain proportions, and the one who's been pulling the strings behind the scenes all along.

3. Lillimae mows down Chip

Killer grannies was something we might have expected to see over on Falcon Crest but season 5 of Knots Landing really amped up the drama, and early on it became pretty clear that this season was KL on steroids. Although Lillimae's rage made sense after how much she had invested in Chip and her relationship with him, nobody expected it to manifest itself in quite such dramatic fashion. This was a real shocker and a brilliant twist.

4. Kristin is pregnant

The world had been waiting with bated breath to finally found out who shot JR and it didn't disappoint, as not only did we find out Kristin was the killer, this little twist meant she was gonna get away with it too.

5. Jason's the daddy

On the one hand this reveal, followed by Philip's return from the dead, meant that the Colby mansion had officially become the most incestuous house on TV, even surpassing the Carrington mansion, however it has to be commended for how it rearranged the pieces on the chessboard with this dramatic courtroom reveal. And similar to JR and Cliff above, there's the wonderful irony that it was Sable's scheming that brought the whole series of events about.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  18. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,117
    Medals:
    I will go on a hunger strike until I can include the double twist of Bitch is back -> Bitch pulls wig off.

Of course, you very old 80s soap fans can deal with 90s realness, but still. This is a position and a martyr position I'm willing to take! JUSTICE!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  19. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator EXP: 15 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +10,089
    Medals:
    1. Pam wakes up only to find Bobby in her shower. :gm:(Dallas)
    I knew this was happening before I watched it. But it still caught me off guard when it happened. I remember watching Sue Ellen being blown up and going "OMG how will she survive this? How will they explain it?" Then in the next moment Pam woke up and I was like "is the dream season over already?":giggle:

2. Pam is not Digger's daughter (Dallas)
    This revealation changed the whole premise of the show and made it possible to bring back Pam's mother.

3. Richard is Angela's son (Falcon Crest)
    This was also such an :omg:moment. I didn't see it coming and it made me really excited to see what would happen next.

4. Gary sees Cathy for the first time (Knots Landing)

I loved Ciji so I was glad to see Lisa Hartman return to the show. I actually grew to like the Cathy character more than Ciji. Probably because I prefered Cathy & Joshua as a couple ot Ciji and Chip.

5. Fallon was the one who shot Roger Grimes (Dynasty)
    I didn't see this one coming.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  20. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +24,237
    Medals:
    I should have included this, it's my favourite part of that season finale episode.
    Probably the most discussed soap twist, ever!:lol:

• Like Like x 2