The Two Faces of Jesse Metcalfe

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by Rove, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,681
    So I recently stumbled upon a series on Netflix called Chesapeake Shores. To my surprise I'm really enjoying Jesse's acting in this. Granted the series is not on the same level of drama as Dallas so I'm beginning to believe the underlying issues with his portrayal of Christopher Ewing was both down to writing and directing.

Would you agree?​

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,439
    I agree that the director and writers play a part. Maybe that's why the episode Patrick directed felt more like Dallas than other episodes that season.

I really enjoyed Jesse on Desperate Housewives. I never had a problem with him as Chris either. But the writing and switching the younger couples around didn't do the show any favors.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,896
    Both Christopher and John Ross were eager to win, but their motivations and issues were different.
    John Ross' overconfidence and the idea that he could simply claim his birthright was a thorn in the side of Christopher who struggled with self-esteem issues for which he tried to compensate with being the righteous cousin.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    I always though he looked too much like a Ewing (given that he was adopted) but I never had any problem with his portrayal of the part.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,681
    You can say that again

But I always hoped that Christopher was really the son of.....

Untitled.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  6. Christine

Christine Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Yes, I agree, I blame the writers. I like Jesse in other roles. I thought he was really funny in his 'Two Broke Girls' episode. He was also rather good on Desperate Housewives.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +525
    What I hated about Metcalfe's portrayal of Christopher was that he always talked like he was asking a question. I think it's called high rising terminal, and it was annoying as hell.

I'm also not a fan of him as a person, since he constantly bashed the original show and claimed the new show was better in every way. I suppose that's why it lasted 3 years instead of 13.

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +765
    Jesse was great as Christopher & with no disrespect to Josh Jenderson, Jesse's butt was also far nicer. ;) :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I couldn’t stand either of them. They were like pouting underwear models - all eye candy, no substance.

10. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,681
    They were my thoughts upon hearing the casting announcements when TNT Dallas was commissioned. The underlying issues was how the series was written and more so directing. Josh Henderson (John Ross) had me in that infamous kitchen scene with Sue Ellen. It's how I envisioned John Ross. The constant pull between light and dark. His desire to live up to his father's expectations but then proclaiming, "I am not my father!" The opening episode of TNT Dallas showed promise with John Ross out in the fields actually getting his hands dirty - something JR never did - to enjoying his success with the boys at the bar.

Christopher was doing something I thought a 2012 Christopher would be doing, alternative energy. I believed this old (Oil) versus new (Methane Hydrates) approach to energy was a modern story, especially fracking which has caused concerns around the globe. Looking back I believe the writers were throwing everything into the series, too soon. Too many plots, too many characters that didn't belong; it confused and jarred many viewers.

I liked both Jesse and Josh but Jesse appears to have polarized Soapchaters more so. He didn't appear to illustrate layers like Josh could. Perhaps Jesse would have been better suited to playing Christopher more laid back, a little nerd like, instead of his constant battles with John Ross.

11. Laurie Marr

Laurie Marr Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Two faces? That’s a step up from the two emotional registers he appeared confined to on TNTDallas. Meagre acting chops.

12. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,463
    He was good on Desperate Housewives, and on John Tucker Must Die. But I think he can do comedy more than drama; it also did not help that he was on a show with a lot of outstanding young talent (not just Josh Henderson but also Julie Gonzalo, Emma Bell, and Juan Pablo Di Pace for instance). And somehow when he and the stupefying dull Jordana Brewster were on the same scene, it was like a vortex sucking all life out of the screen.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jabari Lamar

Jabari Lamar Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well, remember, even though he wasn't a "Ewing" by birth, he still was John Ross' biological cousin, through Sue Ellen. So, realistically, there should have been some physical resemblance between those two.

And add me to the list of people who never had a problem with Metcalf as an actor, I just think his character wasn't written as well or as compelling as he could have been (and as John Ross often was).

Yes, I think the show's main premise should have been John Ross and Christopher running Ewing Oil (possibly renamed Ewing Energies now) together, with competing visions of how the company should move forward, remaining focused on oil or exploring alternative energy sources. Except I would switch their motivations around, with John Ross being the "good" one, who wants to develop clean energy (to make up for all the evil he saw his father do) with Christopher (in his obsession to prove that he's a "real Ewing") being the "bad" one, wanting to be the biggest and best oil-man ever (like his grandpa Jock).

14. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    That's true enough but he also looked like he was cut from the same cloth as Bobby and JR and Jack.