The Two Faces of Vickie Gioberti

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Angela Channing, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,912
    How did you feel about the role of Vickie Gioberti being recast with Dana Sparks after Jamie Rose left? I didn't mind it at all and almost immediately accepted the new actress playing the character. What made the transition easy for me was because a few seasons had passed after Jamie Rose left so I had already got used to the idea of her not being on the show so bringing someone new in seemed quite natural. It also helped that both actresses were quite different physically and played Vickie in very different ways so I wasn't drawn into comparing the two portrayals and just accepted it as an evolution of the character.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,154
    While I don't dislike Dana Sparks per se, I really don't care for recasts in primetime. I'd rather have seen Dana as a cousin or something else than a Vicky recast to be honest if Jamie Rose wasn't available.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Chloe-Fusco

Chloe-Fusco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +365
    Dana Sparks isn't a bad actress though I liked Jamie more, even with the different eras and Dana getting more to do.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,459
    I didn't like it. Not only because recasts of core characters rarely work in primetime shows, the first Vicki had been a wee bit whiner of course, but also a complex human being. But when they revived the character with Dana Sparks, Vickie had been transformed into just another '80s cool chick.

Jamie Rose was reportedly quite hurt by her firing at the outset of S3, and it made me kind of mad at the time -- and I wasn't even a big fan of her character! So it's no wonder she rebuffed offers to return, although, had the show not been losing it identity with every passing year, I would have liked her to.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,429
    The thing with these not-daughter-characters is that they move in with their not-parents-characters who then become very concerned and involved with everything that happens to their not-daughter. "Because we think of you as our daughter".

Yes, she was controllable under her parents guidance, but I could believe she had become harder and more selfish when she lived somewhere else.
    [​IMG]
    Somehow I just can't see Jamie Rose with Erik Stavros.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +442
    I suppose with Cole leaving the show and Chase at death's door again Vickie sort of had to return. I didn't really get used to her until she was ready to leave the show again, after two years.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,688
    I can't see either of them with him. It should have been me!!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,688
    I didn't find having a new Vickie jarring, it was just a shame this one was such a horrible, selfish cow.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,429
    But she didn't have red hair.

10. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,688
    I guess she dyed it when she was working as a hooker in New York or whatever she was doing.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,429
    This really is about Erik Stavros, isn't it? I've met him once, he was awesome. like, very awesome to me personally. I can't say more.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,688
    Really? Cause I just called him on his personal home number and he says he's never heard of you. And then he asked me out for dinner friday.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,279
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    [​IMG]

Mr. Stavros probably accepted too many
    dates from you both so he could eat as many
    "doughnuts" as possible...​

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,279
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    About the Spark-less version of Vickie Gioberti, I think she graduated from the Copacabana School of Dramatic Art...and her schoolmates were Catherine Oxenberg, Karen Cellini, and Felicity Waterman.

Dana was all abrupt head movements, body swinging, model-like walking and silly non-acting. To make things worse, the writers gave her out-of-character dialogues and storylines, which totally destroyed any possibility of suspending the disbelief and pretending she was indeed the woman Jamie Rose portrayed in the first 2 seasons. Oh and how I enjoyed that slap that Maggie gave her in the Season 6 finale...!

:omg::d1:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,511
    Personally I always preferred Jamie Rose as Vickie Gioberti, she seemed more natural and more like Maggie's daughter, Dana Sparks as Vickie, just came across like this edgy, cool in a generic way, 80s chick.

Vickie was a missed presence in the middle years of the show, so I was glad she came back in the autumn of 1986, regardless.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,121
    I enjoyed Jamie’s Vicki mainly because she was an active part of the Gioberti family, in season 1 and 2. The first Vicki was a nice person. IMHO if she had a down side it was that she was easily led, look at the handling in the latter part of season 1. When the character rejoined the show in 1986 we soon learnt that she had toughened up but had an attitude problem. So as much as Dana performed well with the at times lacklustre material given; she wasn’t my favourite of the two portrayals, not by a long shot.

Vicki is walking through the woods, which leads to the spring house. She goes into the old cottage and hears a lot of noise coming from a churn, (a scene from season 1, 1981-‘82):

Vicki: “Emma what are you doing here?”

Emma is extremely traumatized, owing to Jason’s death: “This is my special place. Uncle Jason built it for me, when I was a little girl. Uncle Jason said he used to keep places like this, cool and fresh, for buttermilk and apples. He thought it was sad that there weren’t places like this any more.”

Vicki: “Emma does anyone know you’re here.”

Emma: “Don’t come near me. Don’t touch me please!”

Vicki: “Emma your family’s worried about you.”

Emma: “They think I’m crazy.”

Vicki: “They’re concerned that’s all.”

Emma: “You told me they want to send me away. I don’t want to be sent away.”

Vicki: “Emma I didn’t mean that they way it sounded. You don’t have to do anything you don’t want to.”

Emma: “Well I don’t want to go home. I want to stay here. I feel safe here.”

Vicki gets one of the chairs and says, “Ok I’ll stay here with you.”

Vicki and Eric pull up at a hotel, chauffeured of course. They hear that there is a wedding taking place, (a scene from season 6, 1986 – ‘87):

Vicki: “Ah. I love weddings!”

Eric speaks to the driver: “To the church Charles…..”

Soon Vicki and Eric are at the church. They rush out of the car and manage to get trapped in the door.

Eric: “You gotta fix the door Charles!!!!”

Driver: “My name isn’t Charles. It’s Willard you jackass!”

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Arlene Halloran

Arlene Halloran Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Dana’s Vickie was older not necessarily wiser than when Jamie Rose had the role. Eric Stavros anyone? Vickie 1981 to 1983 was better looking in my eyes, than Vickie 1986 to 1988, especially when she got glamorous for all those parties. Why oh why did you leave Mario. You broke the girl’s heart.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Gioberti84

Gioberti84 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The writers missed something when they did not team the original Vickie more with grandma Jacqueline. They hinted doing this when Jacqueline returned to Tuscany in season #1, after being driven away by Angela decades earlier. I guess Vickie was too busy with Mario and later Nick the next year, to follow this through. Vickie (Jamie Rose) should have become a younger Jacqueline and I love red haired women. Dana was okay just okay for the time it was.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +366
    I hate recasts, but I actually accepted her. I just figured she was the grownup version of Vickie, with short hair.