Discussion in 'SoapLand - The Battles' started by Richard Channing, Sep 27, 2017.
Sarah does not follow the rules and will be punished accordingly, you have my word.
1. J.R. Ewing
2. Abby Fairgate Cunningham Ewing Sumner
3. Angela Channing
4. Richard Channing
5. Sable Colby
1. Alexis Colby
2. Sable Colby
3. Richard Channing
4. Angelica NERO
1) Jill Bennett (Knots Landing) - Her descent into madness was one of the best soap storylines ever.
2) Katherine Wentworth (Dallas) She was the psycho who wouldn't quit. Too bad she didn't kill Jenna.
3) Jessica Montfort (Dallas) Crazy but intriguing character. She had the balls to stuff beloved Miss Ellie in a car trunk!
4) Abby Ewing (Knots Landing) Not a psycho, but a complex villain. Loved her being insulted by Lilimae.
5) tie between JR Ewing and Alexis Colby - the two most popular villains of the two most popular soaps in the '80s - "Dallas" and "Dynasty."
1: Angela Channing - a villain with far reaching tentacles (a "she-octopus" as Blake Carrington would say). I loved how nobody passed through Tuscany Valley without coming into Angela's radar and being torpedoed as she saw fit.
2: Sheriff Titus Semple - like a male counterpart to Angela, he was the power hungry puppet master of Flamingo Road
3: Abby Cunningham - as others have pointed out, Abby was a complex villain. She had clear goals in that she loved money and most of her scheming involved the pursuit of it. But she had a conscience too, which is more than can be said for some of the names on this list.
4: Alexis Colby - Dynasty is one of my favourite soaps and Alexis put in some solid gold work in terms of villainy in her earlier days. I think her reputation is kind of diluted for me as the seasons wear on and the writing gets poorer. Her vendettas became aimless and having her nearly always come out on top got boring. She'd be higher up the list otherwise.
5: JR Ewing - like Alexis, he was unbeatable in his earlier days but I think longevity eventually kills the momentum.
1) JR Ewing – As Larry Hagman once said “I played the character everyone loved to hate!” The oldest Ewing son will go down in history, as one of the greatest baddies to have graced T.V. This would be particularly in heyday DALLAS i.e. up to season 9, DVD-10 of the show. Of course there was the not to be missed cliff-hanger in 1980, which propelled JR to further stardom – DALLAS.
2) Alexis Colby – The glamorous diva who shook up the Carringtons and Colbys of Colorado with her ruthless desire for dominance and getting her claws into angelic Krystle. Joan Collins became the undisputed star as Alexis, in a ratings battle with JR et al from Texas – DYNASTY.
3) Angela Channing – When Jane Wyman was encouraged out of retirement to take up the mantle of the iron granny Angela no one could have envisaged just how cutting, cunning and unscrupulous the character would become. Once upon a time at the Golden Globes Jane remarked, “I don’t know if you can be nice anymore and win anything” – FALCON CREST.
4) Richard Channing – A bad plant yet a loving father. There wasn’t much he wouldn’t do, in his quest to be the almighty of the Tuscany Valley. Yet with his toy soldiers and glass of milk you would almost think he was a teddy bear – FALCON CREST.
5) Jeremy Wendell – A poisonous thorn in JR’s side for long and many a day. He was like the ‘Skeletor’ of Dallas and got JR’s family business in 1987, which Jock commenced decades earlier. Jeremy’s dream had become a reality – DALLAS.
Rose McKay says to Carter that they have a visitor. Who walks in only Jeremy Wendell, (a scene from season 11, DVD-12, 1988-’89):
Carter: “What are you doing here? I thought you wanted to keep our connection quiet.”
Jeremy: “I wouldn’t have come if I wasn’t disappointed in you. I thought you would have this deal closed already.”
Carter: “I’ve had some problems. I’ll handle them!”
Jeremy: “I heard from Hughes you’re not doing everything I asked.”
Carter: “Are you listening to Hughes or to me?”
Jeremy: “I’m here to remind you of our agreement. I want that oil under section 40 of Southfork and whatever you have to do to the Ewings to get it that’s what you do. Do I make myself clear?”
Freeze frame, closing credits and the theme tune.
1. Jill Bennett - KNOTS LANDING
2. Angela Channing - FALCON CREST
3. Chip Roberts - KNOTS LANDING
4. Abby Cunningham - KNOTS LANDING
5. Sable Colby - COLBYS
1. Alexis Morell Carrington Colby Dexter Rowan, DYNASTY (killing Krystle´s baby, marrying Cecil on his death bed, taking over the mansion was her masterpiece)
2. Angela Channing, FALCON CREST (did everything to control her valley, including selling a baby for the half ot the winery)
3. JR Ewing, DALLAS (did everything to ruin Cliff and control Ewing Oil, the human he hurted most was his wife Sue Ellen)
4. Chip Roberts, KNOTS LANDING (a real pycho)
5. Michael Tyrone, FLAMNINGO ROAD
This round's been a challenging one.
Dallas and Dynasty had some great villains but delved into pantomime after a while.
Knots and The Colbys consistently had better defined characters, so most characters whose behaviour at times could be seen as villainous (Knots's Jill, Joshua or Abby. The Colbys' Sable, Jason and Frankie) aren't really villains in my eyes because those actions are part of a more complex picture.
In the end, I've based my list on characters' actions in their first couple of seasons and the impact it had on those around them.
1. Blake Carrington
Ruthless businessman; tyrannical ruler of his servants and family; rapist; homophobe; murderer. Original recipe Blake is perhaps the darkest soap character of all.
2. Claudia Whittaker
Whose control, deceit and manipulation was of Shakespearean proportions. Even understanding her motives, her cold ruthlessness meant that when cornered she could villain with the best of them. Lying to her daughter's face while purposefully destroying her dream of a scholarship; stealing a liver out from under a dying recipient (she had her reasons, but still... cold, cold, cold); framing her son to get him imprisoned - leading to his death; suggesting to her dinner guest she'd poisoned his food (and contentedly nibbling her salad while listening to him throw up said food), her villainy was a delight.
3. JR Ewing
THE original. Accept no imitations.
4. Chip Roberts
Soap's charmer... for as long as you're useful to him. After that all bets are off.
5. Alexis Carrington Colby etc
Perjurer; liar; stirrer; baby killer. And that's just her first half dozen episodes.
And a special mention for...
As low as a snake's belly and proud of it.
1. JR Ewing
2. Angela Channing
3. Alexis Colby
4. Abby Cunningham
5. Richard Channing
1. JR (Dallas)
2. Alexis (Dynasty)
3. Abby (Knots Landing)
4. Katherine (Dallas)
5. Sable (Colbys)
Excellent case for why Blake should be called a villian. But sadly they mellowed him to the point where he wouldn't even have an affair. So despite the first season I find it hard to truly think of him as a villian.
But yeah in that first season he was worse than JR!
How about this guy:
And sometimes I thought she was a bossy old bitch:
5. Jeremy Wendell - cunning evil (probably a psychopath)
4. Angela Channing, controlling evil (like damn, is everything yours?)
3. John Ross Ewing, JR - nasastic evil (a hoot, if he's not after you)
2. Jacqueline Perrault - cold evil (lowest level of hell cold)
1. Abbey Cunningham - SEXY evil (sexy always beats cold, in fact doesn't even seem all that evil while she's vamping you)
1. J. R. Ewing (of course)
2. Angela Channing (What a mean old lady she was in the first two seasons)
3. Alexis Carrington ( Baby-killer!!!)
4. Abby Cunningham (she has "cunning" in her last name so, duh)
5. Sable Colby (intended to be a villain until her sister, Frankie stole the title and her husband!)
Honorable mentions: Blake Carrington ( one season of scary bad-ass villainy),
Jacqueline Perrault ( The root of all evil at Falcon Crest)
Amanda Woodward ( The devil in a mini skirt)
Victoria Grayson ( the perfect incarnation of the 4 ladies I just listed)
1 - JR
2 - Angela
3 - Alexis
4 - Abby
5 - Sable
1. JR Ewing
2. Katherine Wentworth
3. BD Calhoun
4. Alexis Carrington
5. Danny Waleska
Who is this Sable people keep mentioning? How was age evil?
Separate names with a comma.