World Cup Qualification Round The World Cup of 80s Prime Time Soap Characters Qualification

Discussion in 'World Cup of Soaps' started by Angela Channing, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,760
    Medals:
    You know that image reminds me of a teen soap called Swans Crossing. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,315
    Medals:
    Hope I don't throw the balance off. To date I've never got round to watching FC, but I'm hoping to change that. So here's a layman's perspective.

1. Chase Gioberti
    Robert Foxworth is a very charismatic actor and I’ve enjoyed everything I’ve seen him in, from Damien to Cagney & Lacey.

2. Peter Stavros
    In the mid-Eighties, I knew Cesar Romero for just one role. The one in which he had green hair and a cackle. He was responsible for the only episode of Falcon Crest I remember watching during its original airing, as I was curious to see what he looked like without the makeup. As I watched, every man I saw had me wondering if this could be him, but when Cesar himself appeared there was no mistaking him.

3. Greg Reardon
    Because I could happily watch Simon MacCorkindale recite the Yellow Pages.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

What night was it on here?

For some reason I'd thought it was on at the same time as Dallas: 8pm on Wednesday. I'm sure it must have clashed with something I really like, because that's the only explanation for a soap almost completely passing me by.

• Like Like x 8
  3. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,392
    Medals:
    He was also really good playing the murderer in the episode of Columbo called Grand Deceptions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,392
    Medals:
    Season one was screened on BBC1 on Saturday evenings, around 8 or 9 pm. Season 2 went out on Tuesday evenings at 9.30 after the 9 o'clock news on BBC1.

I was really very good, not in the same league as Dallas, Knots and Falcon Crest but I preferred it to Dynasty.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,315
    Medals:
    Indeed he was. An actor needed something very special to go one-to-one with Peter Falk, I think.

Thanks - I actually meant Falcon Crest, but this is interesting too.

From what I've seen and read about both FC and FR - especially on Soapchat over the years - I'm sure I would enjoy both series very much.

6. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,392
    Medals:
    Sorry, I thought you meant Flamingo Road. :embarrassed:

ITV completely botched the screening of Falcon Crest. Season 1 and 2 went out at 8pm on Thursdays and then it got a bit more complicated depending on where you lived. In London, to begin with, season 3 also was broadcast at 8pm on Thursday but half way through, Thames TV moved it from prime time and screened it at 10.30 pm after News At Ten. Season 4 to 6 were broadcast on Tuesday afternoons at 2 pm and subsequent seasons were never screened on terrestrial TV.

Elsewhere in the UK, different ITV regions screened Falcon Crest on different days and different times. Most TV regions continued to broadcast season 3, 4 and 5 at 8 pm on either Wednesday (e.g. Granada TV region) or Thursday (Central TV region) while others moved it to daytime midweek or on a Sunday afternoon. I think season 6 was screened during daytime in all regions and the later seasons moved to Sky after they bought the broadcast rights.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,315
    Medals:
    Oh, don't worry. You probably pre-empted my next question. :D

Ah - the old ITV regional thing. What a nightmare.

That completely explains why I never managed to see it, and also why I think of it as being in the Dallas timeslot of 8pm on Wednesdays.

8. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,059
    Medals:
    STV showed Falcon Crest on a Tuesday at 8pm - but different regions did show it at different times
    I think my mum watched it as she liked jane Wyman in Johnny Belinda etc

I was usually getting a thrashing 21 - 4 at badminton!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,561
    I hear ya @Mel O’Drama, lol. Me too

‘3. Greg Reardon
    Because I could happily watch Simon MacCorkindale recite the Yellow Pages.’

He was tres attractive and his melting Brit voice ;-)

I know @Angela Channing said it’s a character competition (and I do get that) but a lot of it is due to the actor portraying the character, bringing them to life. Would JR be anywhere near what he was with someone other than Larry playing him? We’ll never know but I doubt it. I couldn’t imagine anyone but Linda being Sue Ellen or Victoria being Pam.

When a different actor plays them, the writers often change/modify the character as well anyway, which then can become actor driven, not based on character. Why would Miss Ellie all of a sudden completely change her wardrobe from simple smocks to posh tablecloths? The real Miss Ellie never say ‘that’s nice dear’. Fallon aswell lost a lot of her fun and charisma in her replacement and a lot of that seemed to be from the writing side?? It’s a tricky one haha

Thanks again for putting this this is a great completion together for us @Angela Channing. So much time and effort on your part and it is super fun. It’s anyone’s guess who’ll win. Look what happened to JR in the Dallas World Cup
    in the first round?! ;-)

• Like Like x 3
  10. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,392
    Medals:
    When more than one actor plays the same character, for the purpose of this game, you should consider the character as a whole, in all versions played by the actors and not just your favourite portrayal of the role.

11. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,315
    Medals:
    While Googling FC characters I ended up watching an interview with him on YouTube in which he talked about being determined to play with his own accent because there are already thousands of great American actors in Hollywood. He credited Joan Collins on Dynasty with the offers suddenly coming his way.

And as for his attractiveness...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I'd have to agree with you.​

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,561
    Oh wow. I need a cuppa tea and a lie down now. What an Adonis!

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,235
    Medals:
    I just realised that there are going to be two Jeff Colbies. And what if they end up in the same voting round?

14. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,392
    Medals:
    Characters that appeared in more than one soap will only be able to represent the one they were in the most. Jeff Colby will therefore only feature once as a Dynasty character and not as one from The Colbys.

It's possible that the same actor can feature twice if they played different characters in different soaps. For example, if Jordan wins the current vote, then Morgan Fairchild will participate as her in Falcon Crest and also as Constance in Flamingo Road.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  15. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,392
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

There's still time to vote. The poll for the Falcon Crest qualification round closes at midnight on Sunday 19th August.

• Funny Funny x 4
  16. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,649
    Medals:
    ^^ Honey, you ain't helpin' your cause one bit....

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,718
    Medals:
    1) Melissa: The character of Melissa was IMHO a vital cog, in the wheel of success for the wine based show. She went through men like wildfire and could be ruthless, like Angela. Cole and Lance were the Agretti woman's favourites.
    2) Chase: For some time it was principally Angela versus Chase vying for control of the Gioberti legacy and then when Richard joined the business in season 4 the three of them battled the cartel. While Chase was sanctimonious he provided the family man dynamic, to the show.
    3) Julia: A complex character who we travelled with her on her journey from wine chemist; supporting mother/sister/daughter, crazy murderer, captive of the cartel to finally becoming a nun.

Maggie and Chase are outside the winery. Someone is not going to be too happy. Angela and her lawyer Phillip Erikson are on the driveway, (a scene from season 3, 1983 - '84):

Maggie is ecstatic to break the news: "Chase is evoking the terms of his grandfather's original will. You're out of Falcon Crest, Angela!"

Angela: "You're out of your minds!"

• Like Like x 7
  18. Chloe-Fusco

Chloe-Fusco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +538
    Medals:
    1 - Chase Gioberti
    2 - Emma Channing
    3 - Melissa Agretti

• Like Like x 6
  19. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,392
    Medals:
    The poll has now closed and the votes have been counted and verified. The results of the Falcon Crest qualification are as follows:

Melissa Agretti - 30
    Chase Gioberti - 20
    Emma Channing - 10
    Julia Cumson- 10
    Chao-Li - 6
    Cole Gioberti - 6
    Pamela Lynch - 5
    Greg Reardon - 3
    Peter Stavros - 3
    Jacqueline Perrault - 1
    Michael Sharpe - 1
    Jordan Roberts - 1

The 2 winners of this round who now qualify for the knock out round of the World Cup are confirmed as:

[​IMG][​IMG]

There was a tie for third place between the sisters Emma Channing and Julia Cumson. The rules of the World Cup state that in the event of a tie, the casting vote goes to the first person(s) to vote, excluding myself. As @Willie Oleson voted for Julia before anyone (other than myself) voted for Emma, Julia Cumson will now join Sammy Jo Dean, Jock Ewing and one character I will select from Flamingo Road and from The Colbys in a vote for a final chance to qualify.

Thanks to everyone who voted in this round.

Details of the next vote (the Knots Landing Qualification Round) will be posted later today.

• Like Like x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,392
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3