The World Cup of 80s Prime Time Soap Characters

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Angela Channing, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,642
    [​IMG]

The World Cup of 80s Prime Time Soap Characters will begin in September in which 32 characters from the main 80s prime time soap operas will compete against each other in a knock out tournament until we have a winner.

The contest will be similar to The World Cup of Dallas game we played earlier this year but will feature characters from 6 different prime time soaps.

I have pre-selected 22 characters to automatically qualify for the World Cup and the remaining 10 places will allocated to the winners of a series of qualifying matches which will start on Monday 2nd August.

You are invited to participate by voting for who you would like to win each round.

More details to follow shortly.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 11
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,642
    The following 6 soap operas will be part of this game:

[​IMG]

I tried, but there wasn't space, to include characters from Return To Eden, so this game will only feature US prime time soaps.

Further details will follow soon.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,642
    The following characters have been chosen to automatically qualify for the knockout round of the World Cup. They were mainly selected based on making the most appearances in the respective shows. I made a few exceptions to include characters who I considered to be more significant even though another character appeared in more episodes e.g. I included Abby Cunningham for Knots Landing even though Mack MacKenzie made more appearances.

Dallas: JR Ewing, Sue Ellen Ewing, Ellie Ewing, Bobby Ewing.
    [​IMG]

Falcon Crest: Angela Channing, Richard Channing, Lance Cumson, Maggie Gioberti.
    [​IMG]

Dynasty: Blake Carrington, Krystle Carrington, Alexis Colby, Fallon Carrington.
    [​IMG]

Knots Landing: Karen Mackenzie, Valene Ewing, Gary Ewing, Abby Cunningham.
    [​IMG]

Flamingo Road: Constance Carlyle, Fielding Carlyle, Titus Semple, Lane Ballou.
    [​IMG]

The Colbys: Jason Colby, Sable Colby.
    [​IMG]

There was only room for 2 characters from The Colbys, it was either that or to leave the series out of the game altogether. However, there will be a chance to vote to include more of them later on, particularly as some of their main characters also appeared in Dynasty.

There will be a opportunity to vote to include 2 more characters from each the "Big Four", i.e. Dallas, Falcon Crest, Dynasty and Knots Landing and a final place for a character from any of the participating soaps. Further details of these polls will be given on Monday when the voting will begin.

If you have any questions before then, please post them on this thread, although full details of how each round of the game is to be played will be given before each poll opens.

• Like Like x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,112
    :ty::ex::bravo1::gp:

Look forwards to it xx

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,656
    I'll be voting for the biggest loser on TV; Cliff Barnes! :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    No Pam?!! Really?

7. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,642
    You can still vote for her in the qualification round to take part in the main game.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Victoriafan3

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    Phew! ;-) thank you! :) and thanks for considering including RTE. Maybe a uk and Aussie soaps World Cup one day? Haha :)

9. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,642
    It would have been great to have had Stephanie Harper and Jilly Cooper in the game but if would have meant leaving out characters like Bobby Ewing and Fallon Carrington. I will find a way to feature Return To Eden in a future World Cup.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Victoriafan3

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    You are a star @Angela Channing :) A soap opera of Pam Ewing, Alexis Carrington, Jilly Stewart and Stephanie Harper/Tara Welles with a few of soaps yummiest men would have been a dream

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  11. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,642
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,642
    Just to clarify what this round involves. JR, Sue Ellen, Miss Ellie and Bobby have automatically qualified for the knockout round of the contest. This round is to select 2 more Dallas characters to join them in the next round.

Please select the THREE additional characters you would like to join the other 4 in the next round. List your choices in order of preference. You can give reasons for you vote which might help others with their choices but this is entirely optional, it's absolutely fine just to give the names.

The top 2 characters of all the votes will go through to the next round and the character in third place will join characters from the other soaps in a final vote off for the remaining 2 places in the knock out rounds.

This week's vote will end at 8am on Monday 6th Aug 2018.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,642
    My votes:

1. Cliff Barnes - I originally wanted to gave an automatic qualification place to Cliff but as Bobby was a finalist in the Dallas World Cup I gave it to him instead. Arguably, one of the most important roles in the series after JR and he never gave up and ultimately came out on top,
    2. Pamela Barnes - I always thought she was the personification of the main themes of the whole series, Barnes-Ewing feud, with a foot in both camps. A vital character that deserves to be in the final round.
    3. Jock Ewing - Just a great character, I liked and disliked him on different occasions but always enjoyed watching him.

• Like Like x 7
  14. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,656
    1. Cliff Barnes
    2. Pamela Barnes Ewing
    3. Ray Krebbs

These 3 feel most Dallas aside from the 4 already qualified. :)

• Like Like x 8
  15. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,662
    1. Katherine Wentworth
    2. Cliff Barnes
    3. Afton Cooper

Without these three characters, I wouldn't have been as glued to the show as I was. Plus I fancied Katherine far too much even though she could be a little cruel at times.

• Like Like x 8
  16. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,882
    I've changed my mind

1. John Ross
    2. Judith Ryland
    3. Cliff Barnes

• Like Like x 5
  17. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    1. Pam Ewing
    2. Cliff Barnes
    3. Katherine Wentworth

• Like Like x 10
  18. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,112
    ok My selection

1. Pamela Barnes Ewing - Dallas golden girl and the key to story lines, the link to the barnes family, the feud, Bobbys wife and hated by JY, she was the lynch pin for me and the key player who linked it all together. She was the most important female figure on Dallas and 2nd most important character after JR
    2. Cliff barnes - another key character of Dallas past and present - hatred fuelled by his daddy and his dislike of all things Ewing.
    3. Jock ewing - patriarch of the Ewing family and links to the past - so much of the central story was because of jock Ewing and how he treated people and post death the aftermath of his death and the battle for the family and his company. Even in death he was still there!

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Victoriafan3

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    1. Pam, she was so lovely,had integrity not to mention imo she was the most beautiful woman on television.
    2. Donna - she was one of the most down to earth, believable characters and played an brilliant actress
    3. Katherine - she was great fun to watch, very naughty and pivotal to some key Dallas moments

Thank you @Angela Channing and those involved with creating all this for us. It’s a lot of work. It’s much appreciated:)

• Like Like x 9
  20. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,642
    Willie, you may wish to change your vote as it's the 80s prime time soaps so I'm not including TNT Dallas (nor the Dynasty reboot) so I won't be counting votes for characters don't appear in the original series. Sorry, I should have made this clearer in my earlier post.

• Winner Winner x 1