1. Musical Secret Santa

It's a Secret!

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

World Cup Tournament The World Cup of Dallas

Discussion in 'World Cup of Soaps' started by Angela Channing, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,584
    Pam vs Bobby is as bad as JR vs Sue Ellen. :(
    I love all the characters so this really needs some more thought who to vote for. :think:

Oh well at least Bobby and Pam didn't clash in the first round like JR vs. Sue Ellen...

Oh and it looks like we might have a more even round ahead of us so this should be exciting to see which characters that will go on to the finals. :cool1

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +518
    I voted for Bobby but I won't mind if Pam wins. She had one hell of a rack. Pam was basically a nice person too although I wish she hadn't been so flighty and had handled stress better instead of just running away when things got tough.

JR vs. Sue Ellen was a joke. There simply is no contest as to what character most people think of first when they think of Dallas. Larry Hagman was the highest paid actor not just on Dallas but on all of TV and there was a reason he could demand and receive that big of a salary. He was just that damn good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,150
    Match 3
    Based on the first half of the series it would have been a very tough choice, and I feel Bobby would have edged in. In many ways, Pam never fulfilled her potential, but she remained the heart of the show in so many ways, as evidenced by how still and flat it became immediately after she left. Try as the writers did to drag Pam's name into the tired last few seasons, they couldn't do too much damage because it's unthinkable VP would have been part of anything that made her character into a tired old mess. It's a shame Duffy can't say the same.
    Pam

[​IMG]

Match 4
    Lucy was fun now and then, but then so was Donna. And as James said, there was so much more to her.
    Donna

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  4. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,500
    But "what character most people think of first when they think of Dallas" isn't what this contest is about. Otherwise it would just be Pointless in reverse. (Pointless is a counter-intuitive British game show where you have to guess the least popular correct answer. They did one on the actors from Dallas and Dynasty once -- the top answers were Jim Davis and Pamela Bellwood, i.e., nobody knew their real names.)

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,731
    Match 3: Pamela
    Match 4: Donna

• Like Like x 5
  6. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,484
    match 3: Bobby. Because he staged his own death in front of the entire world so he could have a vacation together with Katherine (obviously they were in cahoots). So clever!
    match 4: Lucy, because that World Cup would look great in the Hot Biscuit.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +518
    I know, but the reason why he's the character most strongly associated with the show - because he was so damn entertaining, is related to this contest.

Unless someone is so wealthy they don't need to work anymore, there are plenty of times when people go to work even if the work they're given isn't necessarily the best material they've ever had to work with. People go to work to make money and they were making a lot of money in Dallas. Why would you walk away from the ATM machine when it's still spitting out twenties?

Duffy found out the hard way that he wasn't as in demand for major Hollywood movies as he thought he would be. Most actors don't have the luxury of walking away from anything that isn't up to their artistic standards. Case in point: The made for TV movies Victoria Principal made after she quit Dallas are hardly high quality art. If she'd been offered a role in a big movie with a great script co-starring someone of the caliber of Jack Nicholson don't you think she'd have taken that instead? The list of options for actors, especially ones who have become identified with one particular role can be very limited.

I think Patrick Duffy did as well with the material he was given in the late seasons as anyone could have. The quality of the writing went downhill in the late seasons of Dallas so the stories weren't as good. The casting of new characters was especially bad in the late seasons (James and Michelle, I'm looking at you).

If you were to make a convincing case that Duffy and Hagman, for that matter, just "phoned in their lines" and weren't giving their best effort to work with the material they were given, I'd say that they share the blame for the decline in the quality of Dallas in the late seasons. As far as I can see though, as actors, they did what they could with the material they were given. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

8. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,713
    Match 3 - Pam. Bobby vs Pam was not a contest I would have wanted to see but I think Pam without Bobby (in the dream season) showed a lot of potential. Bobby without Pam just seemed to drift.

Match4 - Lucy. I liked Donna a lot but Lucy was a firebrand.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,809
    Match 3: Pam. She WAS Dallas, much more so than Bobby.

Match 4: Donna. From the get-go I was intrigued by this character. She was as comfortable on the ranch as she was talking politics.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +518
    Yes, Lucy was, especially in episodes like "Lessons." That had great interactions with Lucy and Pam where Lucy showed her wild streak and her general state of teen rebellion. I found Lucy an exciting character during her teen rebellion years all the way up to and including the Mickey Trotter story in which the Ewing wild child met somebody just as rebellious as she was. They were a great couple!

After that storyline ended I found that the writers had tamed her wild streak and didn't really know what to do with her. Maybe they thought she was too old to olay the wild child anymore, but at any rate, I found Lucy to be much less interesting in later seasons than she was in the earlier seasons. I think if they had out more effort into it they could have found a way to still keep her a wild child at heart even if her chronological age by then made it maybe more of a challenge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SueEllenRules!

SueEllenRules! Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +780
    Thank goodness the male chauvinists among us will have a consolation prize in the event that Pam wins. :rolleyes:

More or less of a joke than that comment about Pam’s rack? :re:

If that were true, JR wouldn’t be crossed out as we speak. :D

Not to mention the fact that he had the producers over a barrel and they knew it.

I find Sue Ellen to be the more entertaining character. And apparently, I’m not alone here. :cool1

Like actors who were likely earning at least a million dollars per season for multiple seasons (when money was worth 3 times what it is now)? And Hagman and Duffy’s salaries were likely double that, if not more.

Oh, I don’t know. Integrity, maybe?

Lord knows they were willing to try. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,150
    Well, as happy as I am for them about that, it doesn't improve my enjoyment of their characters in the last few seasons.

You're quite right about the material they had to work with in later years. The writing, not just the actor, creates the character. This is where characters like Pam or Donna score over JR, Bobby or Cliff. They were on the show exclusively at a time when the writing had more quality and the characters weren't as compromised as a result.

While there are cases for blaming both Duffy and Hagman for the decline in quality - not least Hagman's role as an executive producer and Duffy's return being the moment the series jumped the shark and lost all credibility - this isn't about culpability. For the purposes of this game, it's enough for me to consider that they were at the centre of things for those final years, with their characters being diluted at best. As I said in my previous post, had Duffy's involvement with the series ended with Swan Song, I'd probably have found Bobby a more consistently watchable character than Pam.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,834
    You're not alone. I do too. Above any of the other females. Only Miss Ellie would hold my interest nearly as much.

14. SueEllenRules!

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +780
    Yes, although I posted that specifically in reference to JR. The comment that “JR vs. Sue Ellen was a joke“ grated on my nerves. :lol: I respect whatever opinions other people have on the value of one character versus another, but I draw the line at opinions based on pure chauvinism and the size of a character’s rack. :re:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,834
    Oh sorry I missed that.

Clearly it isn't a joke, since she won and knocked his ass out of the competition. She's an equal with him, isn't under him or beneath him - she's the QUEEN of Dallas and if later seasons are to be observed correctly he was LOST without her! 'JR vs Sue Ellen a joke?' What a load of absolute balls. Why? Because JR was a macho man? Because he was powerful??? Because she's female?? She wiped the floor with him from the mid 80's until THE VERY END! I think we all know who had the last laugh!

And the rack thing, don't even get me started. Give me Sue Ellen above that as well, any day of the week. Big breasts do not a character make.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  16. SueEllenRules!

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +780
    The show itself was rife with chauvinism, which is artistic license, plain and simple. The chauvinism that went on behind the scenes is another story entirely. Enjoying characters like JR, Jock, etc. is perfectly understandable. I enjoyed them, too. I take issue, however, with actually adopting their chauvinistic attitudes.

• Winner Winner x 2
  17. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,834
    I agree. I love JR, but I take issue with saying pitting him and Sue Ellen against each other is a joke, because if anything in the show, she emerged far more stronger and powerful than him - including in the TNT run. I also take issue with liking a character simply because of their breast size. I mean come on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Gosh from my calculations so far ALL 4 characters have 7 votes each, with Bobby and Lucy having the edge as they were voted for first. This could go any way?...lol so exciting!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Top Jimmy

Top Jimmy Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Match 3: Pam

Match 4: Lucy (liked Donna and "Drinks are on Bonnie" scene, but she was sometimes too sanctimonious)

• Like Like x 5
  20. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +518
    That's Larry Hagman - the actor on Dallas who got paid the most money. Pay is based upon the ability to draw viewers to a show. The more viewers an actor's character draws, the more he's worth to the show, and the higher the salary he can command.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018