1. Musical Secret Santa

It's a Secret!

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

World Cup Tournament The World Cup of Dallas

Discussion in 'World Cup of Soaps' started by Angela Channing, Jan 8, 2018.

1. SueEllenRules!

SueEllenRules! Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +780
    ‘He’ being the key word.

2. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,810
    Kenny that's fine. But Dallas was an ensemble show. I don't deny Larry Hagman's portrayal of JR Ewing up until a certain point was phenomenal and it's the very reason why millions around the world tuned in but demanding such a huge salary and receiving it was detrimental to the series. Look what happened when budget restraints really began to impact the series. Without the likes of Donna, Lucy, Sue Ellen and good grief Miss Ellie there Dallas became a tragic mess. And the character of JR became someone to laugh AT, not with and there is huge difference between the two.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +519
    We can talk about whether it was detrimental to the series if you'd like but I was discussing the relation to an actor's salary with his relative importance on the show. What dictates an actor's ability to command a certain salary is his ability to draw viewers to a show. "World Cup Of Dallas" is a game and that's fine, but anyone who thinks the results are a true indication of the importance of a particular actor or actress to Dallas or an accurate reflection of who should have been earning the most is ignorant at best and at worst, delusional.

4. SueEllenRules!

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +780
    ‘His’ being the key word.

Especially if the results indicate that a lowly woman may actually have been just as important to the success of the series as ‘the man.’

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +519
    You don't have any education in statistics do you?

6. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,532
    You can still vote for you winner in the match between Bobby and Pamela and the match between Lucy and Donna. The poll closes at midnight on Monday.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 7
  7. SueEllenRules!

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +780
    Actually, I do, but more importantly, I was schooled in recognizing a pile of flaming dog doo when I see it.

8. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +519
    Of course you studied statistics! The following exchange explains just how well you understood it along with basic business principles:

Coyote: "World Cup Of Dallas" is a game and that's fine, but anyone who thinks the results are a true indication of the importance of a particular actor or actress to Dallas or an accurate reflection of who should have been earning the most is ignorant at best and at worst, delusional.

Your reply: "Especially if the results indicate that a lowly woman may actually have been just as important to the success of the series as ‘the man.’"

By the way, you do realize that if "a lowly woman" had been just as important to the success of Dallas as Larry Hagman was, she could have commanded an equal salary to the one he was making, right? Especially, if, suppose she wasn't a "lowly woman" but a woman who happened to be very close friends with Larry Hagman, so close that she visited him when he was on his deathbed.

Do you remember what the cast of "Friends" did regarding their salaries? They told the network that they demanded that all six of them be paid equally per episode, and that figure would be one million dollars each per episode. They thought they were all equal in importance to the show and that was what would enable then to get the salaries they demanded. It turned out that the network complied with their demands. That shows how a very close group of friends can wield a tremendous amount of power in salary negotiations with the network for whom they work, just as long as their is a reasonable amount of truth to their beliefs that they are all equally important to the show.

Larry Hagman, Patrick Duffy, and Linda Gray were very close friends but they never could have done what the six close friends on "Friends" did in salary negotiations because everyone knew that the three of them were not on the same level of importance to the show. It would have been absurd for them to claim otherwise. According to Victoria Principal, in an effort to get her to stay, they offered her a salary that would have made her the highest paid woman on TV and she turned it down. If that's true, and unless Linda Gray were offered an equal or better deal, then not only was Linda Gray not nearly as indispensable to the show as Larry Hagman was, but she wasn't as important to the show as Victoria Principal either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SueEllenRules!

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +780
    Yes, and it’s been quite helpful in my career as a research chemist.

Let me know when you make a point.

You do realize that all of the shots on Dallas were called by a group of male chauvinists who treated women like second class citizens because it was an era they could get away with it, right?

You mean the lowly woman who was fired for asking to direct one episode, saved only by the clout of that non-female close friend?

That’s supposed to correspond with what happened on Dallas? That the entire cast didn’t negotiate as a group for equal salaries because they weren’t equal in importance to the show? Funny, but I always thought Hagman took advantage of the fact that he had the producers over a barrel after the mania surrounding the shooting of JR to renegotiate his contract. Silly me. Here’s a fun fact: if Hagman hadn’t come back, would I have kept watching? Probably not. But if Linda Gray had left the show, definitely not. And I don’t think I’m alone here.

Yes, that’s so apparent when you see what happened to the show after Linda left.

After all, Victoria had a much nicer rack.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  10. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,532
    [​IMG]

Vote for your winner in the matches between Bobby and Pamela and Lucy and Donna. The poll closes at midnight on Monday.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,289
    Bobby: I have to vote for the last man standing. While I like Pam there is no nobody and I mean nobody who could attempt to put manners in JR, apart from Jock, which Bobby tried to do. He just had to take a shower in the middle of the show’s life and almost spoil the whole shoot and bang. Pam nearly went bang later the next season and then DALLAS slowly but surely became a joke of its former self.

Donna: Even though Lucy was a main family character I will give my vote to Donna. All in all Ray’s wife was a more rounded character. Sometimes with Lucy you didn’t see what you got, with Donna you did. She was right down the middle. Lucy went off to marry her Doctor boyfriend, only to return years later without him but Donna went out on a high note, just when JR and Bobby intensified their prominence.

Pam is on the highway, in the red Merc SL. She has just come from the doctors, with good news. There is a possibility of another Ewing. She calls Bobby, on her car phone, (the final scene from season 9, DVD-10, 1986 – ’87):

Pam: “The doctor says everything looks fine. He thinks I can carry a baby, the full term.”

Bobby is as pleased as punch: “Oh honey that’s wonderful!”

Pam: “How’s Christopher?”

Bobby: “He’s great! We spent the whole day together.”

Pam: “Ye know Bobby we’d both better start spending more time with him, especially now.”

Bobby: “Pam he’s going to be fine! Now you hurry up and get home. If we’re going to have another baby we have got some work to do.”

Pam: “Well if that’s the case I’ll be home in 10 minutes. Bye!”

Bobby’s woman screams as a tanker goes across her path. She tries to avoid it but to no avail. Crash, bang and wallop. Then there are balls of fire! Fade to black, credits and the closing theme.

• Like Like x 6
  12. Maryann

Maryann Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +588
    I vote for

Bobby - loved Bobby during the seasons 1- 10, he loved truly Pam and never cheated on her or hooked up with someone during his marriage (liked Pam did with Alex and Mark:eek:) and he beat the crap out of JR when needed.:)

Lucy - She had some good storylines especially the one with Mickey even though the writers didn't know what to do with her most of the time.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,532
    Today is your last chance to vote for your winners in the matches between Pamela and Bobby and Donna and Lucy. The poll closes at midnight UK time.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,619
    Bobby gets a lot of protection from his Bouffant Bobby helmut hair, it takes the impact!

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +519
    Well Pam, you know what they say: Only the good die young.

The scene in the photograph is one of the finest performances by Victoria Principal or anyone else on the cast for that matter. It was so realistic the way she reacted. She didn't even get up, she was just crawling, but crawling as fast as she could and when she screamed you could hear so much anguish and despair.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,598
    1.Bobby
    Although the show was never the same without Pam and she was definitely missed the same can be said for Bobby. I think the dream season is proof how important he was to the show.

2. Lucy
    She's been one of my favortie characters since I was a child. As one of the youngest characters on the show I found it easier to relate to her while I was growing up.

• Like Like x 5
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  17. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,461
    Heck, I haven't even been doing this thing since I could tell that Katherine had no chance, and yet I'm still entertained by all of this discussion. Thanks for that!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,461
    Well, then I'm glad that we both are in agreement about Katherine being good.

19. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,532
    The polls are now closed for the week 6 matches and the votes have been counted and verified. After a week of close voting in both matches, the results of your votes are confirmed as follows:

Match 3
    Bobby Ewing - 10
    Pamela Barnes Ewing - 8

Match 4

Lucy Ewing - 10
    Donna Krebbs - 8

The following characters therefore go through to the semi-finals:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks to everyone who voted in round of the final quarter final matches.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,834
    Wow, congratulations to both Uncle and Niece in this round! I'm not surprised at the Lucy result but I am surprised Pam got knocked out. Just goes to show...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1