The World Cup of Dallas

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Angela Channing, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,455
    Grand Final: Miss Ellie
    Some might conclude this was an easy vote. It wasn't. As Dallas approaches its 40th Anniversary it's these two characters which still ignite fierce debate about the appalling nature of how not to treat such beloved characters. Miss Ellie. Whatever story you believe the deplorable way in which the producers switched actresses was a disaster. It was the first crack to appear in an otherwise perfect series.

Bobby. He is the brother you can only hope for. Someone who has your back in a bar fight. Tells it like it is when sometimes the truth can hurt but knows how to have fun. When he flatlined I felt the death as if I was in the room with the family. But. His return - effectively wiping an entire season of stories - just killed it for me.

For this scene alone Miss Ellie, you get my vote.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +914
    The lovely Pamela will always be the World Cup of Dallas Winner to me.

Faced with the difficult choice between these two characters...

I cried over Bobby dying many a time. I loved Pam and him together, their chemistry, their break up and long reconciliation was so moving, romantic and beautiful. He was super

But yes, the dream explanation, his disproportionate domination of the show when he returned and his complete personality change after Pam left did too much damage

I even, dare I say it, preferred Miss Ellie 84-85 to Bobby 87-onwards

So my vote goes to, with BBG as the grounded, anchor to the show...

Miss Ellie the winner :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,886
    This should be interesting. I wonder if it will be a close call or if one of the characters will take a lead as the week passes by...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +413
    I'm taking a different approach than I have seen some use to choose a character they would like to win. I'm not going to judge who should win by comparing each character's weakest moment or weakest season and then choosing the character whose worst time was less bad. I'm choosing based on criteria drawn from what I consider each character's best moments and best seasons.

Miss Ellie wins this because as good as Bobby was, Ellie edges out Bobby on the quality of her best performances. Some of her best scenes were with Jock. Shortly after the episode "Bypass" when Jock suffered a heart attack, there was an episode named "Survival" in which there was reason for Ellie to believe both J.R. and Bobby might have died in a plane crash. Ellie was amazing with the vigilance with which she protected Jock from suffering any extra strain on his recently operated upon heart, by keeping the news from him until she could find out a definitive answer as to the fate of Bobby and JR.

She tried her best to keep Jock from finding out two of his sons might bed dead. When a reporter trespassed on Southfork in order to try to capitalize upon a grief stricken mother by trying to interview her for his newspaper about the possibility that JR and Bobby might have died in a plane crash. he reaction was to tell Ray to get a shotgun.. She asked the, by now, humbled and terrified reporter: "Do you know what we do to vultures around here"? She went on to tell him if he didn't leave at once she'd fill him full of buckshot. This was the kind of passion with which she was capable of protecting Jock when he had just had open heart surgery, and the passion with which she would have protected any of her sons as well.

When Ellie herself was in a crisis she was extremely believable as, for example, a woman who had just had a mastectomy and felt as if she were now "deformed" as she put it. Bobby could certainly exude pain in times of a crisis but with Miss Ellie it seemed especially real, as if these types of things were really happening to Barbara Bel Geddes.

I also have to give Barbara Bel Geddes' portrayal of Miss Ellie the nod with respect to longevity and commitment to the show. Unlike some other characters, Ellie didn't die in Dallas or run away from her family never to be seen again. The actors behind those characters showed they didn't have the same loyalty to Dallas as Barbara Bel Geddes did in much the same way that Miss Ellie was fiercely loyal to her land - to Southfork. While Bobby "died" or at least sure seemed to die at the end of season 8 and Pam ran away from her family in early season 11 never to return home, just so the actors playing those characters could try to find roles to play that they apparently held in higher regard than their roles in Dallas (or why leave?), Barbara Bel Geddes showed the same loyalty towards Dallas that Miss Ellie showed towards Southfork. The only reason she missed season 8 was because of medical necessity. As soon as her health enabled her to return, she did!

Miss Ellie loved having her entire family live with her at Southfork, even though her sons Bobby and JR were adults and later on, her grandchild Lucy continued to live at Southfork after she had turned 18. In the society of The United States, it is quite unusual for three generations of a family to live together, but just imagine being in a family where everyone had plenty of money to move out on his own but instead chose to stay together because they loved each other so much that they preferred to stay together!

That's wonderful and I can't imagine how much drama the show would have lost if they had all lived separately instead of all together at Southfork. That was a vital part of Dallas, and that southern tradition of several generations all living together in a large house, reminiscent of Gone With The Wind's O'Hara family who were wealthy yet all loved together in a big house with its own name - Tara - made Dallas considerably better than it would have been had they all lived in different houses spread across the state of Texas, as so many families these days do tend to not just move out on their own but often move hundreds or even thousands of miles away from each other. Miss Ellie and Jock, but especially Miss Ellie made sure her family stayed together and we were all far better off because of the fascinating social dynamics created by the Ewings all living together.

Congratulations Miss Ellie!

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,039
    Or was it more about not giving the other brother the satisfaction to have Southfork all to himself? I think it had more to do with the place rather than those "lovely" family members.
    The only way to achieve some kind of harmony was to not live together and Miss Ellie must have seen this, but she wanted her children to live with her - and to hell with the consequences. That's plain selfishness.
    What a bunch!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,886
    You make some great points in your post. I also loved how the Ewings all lived together in one house even though they didn't need to as it was so essential to the show. :)

It had not been the same thing if they had all lived in different houses. Having them all at Southfork made the show what it was and I think even CC realized that after a while as she had John Ross and JR move back into Southfork on the new show...

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,221
    My vote is for Miss Ellie. I liked the character whether it was played by Barbara Bel Geddes, Donna Reed or Molly Hagan. The only version of Miss Ellie I was indifferent about was the one hired by Don Lockwood to play her in his film.

Ellie had strong storylines in her own right (e.g. dealing with her mastectomy, overturning Jock's will, taking down Jock's painting) as well as playing an important role in storylines for which the main focus was another character (e.g. bailing out Ewing Oil, John Ross's custody battle, Jock's heart attack). She also brought a balance to the show which was a vital part in its success.

Bobby was great in the early seasons but went downhill after he left Pam and subjected us to the ghastly acting of Jenna and Charley. Also coming back from the dead ruined the credibility of the show and don't get me started on the farce that was his role in the Sheila Foley nonsense and turning into a pound shop James Bond trying to avenge April's killing. When Ellie's storylines were bad she was still watchable but when Bobby was given a lousy plot it was excruciatingly painful to watch at times so overall, Miss Ellie wins for me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  8. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,104
    Oh yes! I forgot about her: The Fourth Ellie.

9. Top Jimmy

Top Jimmy Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +118
    My vote is for Miss Ellie. Even though Bobby was such an iconic character, only Miss Ellie can cause grown men to cry with her grief over Jock's death. Her scene at 2:41 should have won Barbara another Emmy.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,481
    This is hard but I'm going with Miss Ellie for her consistent presence and influence even into TNT Dallas.

• Like Like x 7
  11. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,455
    Who was the actress that played Miss Ellie in that film?

12. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,369
    Sorry Bobby, but nobody can work Teresa's coffee as well as Miss Ellie.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  13. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,221
    The final vote in the World Cup of Dallas ends at midnight on Monday. Chose your ultimate winner between Miss Ellie and Bobby before the poll closes.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Creative Creative x 2
  14. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +955
    Ellie to win.

Donna and Ray have linked Ellie and Jock up, at the Krebbs bungalow. Their intention is to get them to reconcile their differences, over the D.O.A. versus Takapa business and to halt a marriage separation. This is the second last scene, which Jim Davis as Jock will act, (a scene from season 3, DVD-4, 1980 – ’81):

Ray refuses to accept any Ewing Oil claim, which Jock recently provided. Ellie then speaks:

“I can’t let you do that, Ray. I guess, I guess the truth as finally come home. All this time I couldn’t let go of Gary. I couldn’t let go of the hope that he’d come back to Southfork. Gary is not coming back. It is because he doesn’t want to. This time he wasn’t driven away. He left because he wasn’t happy and you were right; I did blame you for that, Ray. It was easier to blame you than looking at myself and see the truth. Because you were Ray’s father, Jock, I focused all that hurt and hate on you being part of Takapa but it never was Takapa. I used it as an excuse. It was all inside of me and Ray you are a Ewing. I want you to stay.”

Ellie moves away from Ray, faces Jock and then the waterworks really start in earnest.

Jock: “Does that include me too?”

Ellie: “Oh yes! Forgive me. I almost destroyed everything.”

Jock: “Nothing to forgive. I love you Ellie!”

Ellie: “I love you, Jock!”

The frame freezes on Ellie crying. Fade to black, the theme tune and the closing credits.

Ellie (Donna Reed) recently returned with Clayton, after spending their honeymoon in Greece. The matriarch is intent on putting Jock’s portrait back at Ewing Oil, something JR says is the wrong thing to do. Ellie’s two sons are with her, in the living room of Southfork, where Jock’s presence is still very much prevalent, (a scene from season 7, DVD-8, 1984 – ’85):

Ellie: "JR I know how much you loved your daddy but keeping that painting up there is not going to bring him back. Only our memories can do that and we have a lifetime of those. Your daddy is in every shadow in this house, in every place he ever walked. Nobody can take away the love, we had for him."

JR looks glumly for the first time, in a long time.

Ellie: "His life with us is over and we have mourned him, long enough."

Bobby and JR look at their father's portrait.

Ellie lifts the portrait, "Taking this painting down is the right thing to do! I'm sure even Jock would agree. It's time for this family to start again."

The frame freezes on Jock's portrait. Fade to black, the theme tune and the closing credits.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,221
    Two awesone Ellie scenes spanning 2 actresses.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,886
    My vote goes to Bobby. Although I love both characters he is more of a favorite for me.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,369
    The more I see this the more I think it sounds like a Welsh seaside resort.

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,221
    The fourth Ellie:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  19. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,221
    In the interest of balance, here's the other actor who played Bobby:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,771
    I love Bobby but simply because Miss Ellie is the heart of Southfork and the family and for everything she did to try to hold that mad family together, my vote goes to MISS ELLIE as played by Barbara Bel Geddes.

Plus Bobby didn’t do himself any favours with me by befriending Holly Harwood, so, karma time Bob!

• Like Like x 5