1. The World Cup of Soap Operas

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

World Cup Tournament The World Cup of Dallas

Discussion in 'World Cup of Soaps' started by Angela Channing, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,094
    Medals:
    Match 7 - Pamela - After JR, Cliff and Pam are my favourite characters so deciding was more difficult than for the JR versus Sue Ellen match. I think Pam's role was arguably the most important in the whole series as she was the link between the two families. Pam also featured in many of my all time favourite Dallas scenes (the Thanksgiving Square break up with Bobby, finding out that Gerald Kane was paid to deceive her by JR, her reconciliation with Bobby before his 'death', her joy at thinking Bobby brought Christopher to Southfork to be their child etc.) I also think her character was always interesting whereas in the final seasons, Cliff was written more and more like a caricature of who he used to be. After Pam was written out, the series went down the toilet which was an indicator of how crucial she was to the success of the show. On balance, Pam scores a points victory over Cliff.

Match 8 - Jock - Although I liked Clayton more than Jock, the senior Ewing was such a great character, strong, arrogant and sometimes cruel but also with a loving and caring side too. Multi-dimensional and always interesting, Jock lands a knockout punch on Digger.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,525
    Medals:
    Cliff for being so brilliantly evil on New Dallas.

Digger for being such a brilliant drunk on Old Dallas and for being so brilliantly heartbreaking on Really Old Dallas.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,508
    578D31A0-2B98-4046-8726-7E618F5F9FAA.jpeg Match 1 - Pam obviously. She was Dallas for me. I was absolutely mesmerised by her. To me she remains the most beautiful woman that I have ever seen on screen. She was such a gentle sweetheart yet determined, usually fair and strong. She was the reason I started and stopped watching this show. As @Angela Channing mentioned, some of her best scenes, thanksgiving square, her stand offs and slaps with JR, her laughter with Bobby, her deceit by Katherine, swan swan - oh that proposal soooo moving and Bobby’s death scene, the oil barons ball from ‘84 and ‘85 the Romantic way Mark first left, the story of her search for him and the way he returned and her ongoing funny rapport with Cliff, this lady was the Dallas Queen and a class act. Terrible way they wrote her out but her impact is etched in my mind forever. Thanks Pamela!! Cliff was great in his part but a completely egocentric narcissist. Fun to watch but against his sister? Sorry Cliff

Match 2 - this is a toughie. I think by a hair, Digger. I like him in his Miss Ellie scenes the best. Jock’s role seemed to grow and become even more crucial after dear Jim had passed. Jock remained a very central and big character without even being onscreen, which says a lot to the characters credit (unlike another pivotal, long-standing character who was barely mentioned again after she left, do I sound bitter lol??!!). Jock’s will storyline was great for a whole season and effected everyone.

Yay (and of course) Miss Ellie won her round! I have never tired of bidding farewell to Jenna ;-) Go Lucy! I thought Kristin would’ve been closer. You just can’t tell which way it’ll go with this game. Thanks again for doing all this @Angela Channing. Such fun :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,873
    Medals:
    Tough round

Match 1 - It has to be Pamela - the golden girl of Dallas and the link to all the story lines on Dallas - past and present, and she Victoria P was the most stunning looking woman on the planet in the 80s. When Pam left, a little bit of Dallas died and for me it was a huge loss- Dallas was never the same again and most guys i know who watched Dallas switched off!!!! (2 reasons)
    Apologies to Mr Kercheval who I love on Dallas and is one of the most under rated characters on the show

Match 2 - Im going to say Digger also - Jock wasnt a character I warmed too and he lied and cheated on Miss Ellie, fathered a child, and in business he used and abused people (and drove them to suicide) to get what he wanted. he could have a soft side but I think he was a hard man and he drove gary away
    and No one can sing yellow Rose of Texas quite like Digger.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. Ms Southworth

Ms Southworth Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,611
    Yikes, two tough choices! :think: Brother vs. sister :oops: ... and two "old" buddies/enemies! :box:

Match 7: Pam
    IMHO, Pam was more central to the history of "Dallas" than Cliff, because she married the son of her father's longtime enemy, Jock Ewing. Also, I think that Pam had more spunk than Cliff did. I loved Cliff a whole lot, both as Digger's son, as Pam's brother, and as JR's enemy in business, but in the boxing ring, his right hand just isn't good enough to beat his younger sister! :D

Match 8: Jock
    IMHO, Jock was not only a tough business man but also Miss Ellie's sweet husband. And I loved both Jocks! :kiss:
    I loved Digger for so many reasons, but I doubt that he would be able to stand up to Jock in the long run! Digger would give Jock some tough blows, but after 12 rounds, Jock walks off stage as the man who won the most rounds! :crazy:

• Like Like x 4
  6. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,220
    Medals:
    Do I go for the one I liked best or the one who's more interesting?

Match 7 - Pam edges out Cliff as being more central to the saga, the bridge between the two warring families.

Match 8 - Jock, narrowly. I very nearly went for Digger as the main catalyst of the feud but had to give it to the Ewing patriarch.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,089
    Medals:
    Match 7
    This for me is a tougher choice than JR vs. Sue Ellen. But choose I must and choose I shall. Pam was one of the series' anchors and was in the thick of things right from the start. The quality of the series dropped significantly immediately following her departure. The Mercedes ploughing into the tanker is the last of the iconic moments so, whether intentional or not, most of the spirit of Dallas left with VP's Pam (even though, ironically, her ghost hung over the rest of the show more than any other departed character apart from Jock). Cliff was a favourite of mine. Thanks to KK, he had a great intensity, particularly in the early years, and I appreciated that he steered clear of popularity contests. Like JR, I recall him becoming something of a caricature in the last few years, though to balance that out Pam had some arcs where she didn't fulfil her full potential. On paper, Pam probably wins. But as I love them both and she seems to be getting the lion's share of votes, I'm going for…
    Cliff

Match 8
    Jock was so woven into the fabric of the show that his role got only bigger in the years after he died. Digger's spirit, too, gave continued motivation after he died. And more importantly he was a compelling character when alive thanks particularly to the foundation he had on David Wayne's intensity. This is a much easier match for me. It's…
    Digger

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. SueEllenRules!

SueEllenRules! Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +780
    Match 7: Cliff

Match 8: Jock

• Like Like x 2
  9. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,823
    Match 1; Pam. I will never, ever forgive Cliff for the evil he perpetrated on his nephew for withholding the death of his mother all those years ago. Rot in jail Cliff. You don't deserve to get to the next round :box:

Match 2; Jock. This was a man's man. A no nonsense type so sorely lacking in today's world. To Jock a handshake meant a deal was brokered. No paperwork required.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,858
    Medals:
    Match 7: Cliff Barnes because it was mostly him who kept the feud alive, and I have come to appreciate him more thanks to TNT Dallas.

Match 8: Jock Ewing. Purely based on his looks: bit of a has-been Country & Western singer, but also believable as a ruthless oil tycoon who's made his fortune thanks to Digger.
    He belonged in the dark-brown Southfork interior and that wonderful/grotesque American car.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Victoriafan3

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,508
    Oh dear. The way this voting is going, it looks like the shows two biggest characters won’t make it past this first round. JR has gone and it is so close between Pam and Cliff, it could be a draw. But as Cliff was the first to get a vote in this round, by the rules, even if they tie, Pam could head towards her second oil tanker. Give me a ‘P’. Give me an ‘A’. Give me an ‘M’ ‘Paaaammmmm!!!’ I’m joining the ‘Save Pam’ campaign.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,020
    Cliff Barnes - If you take away Cliff Barnes from Dallas you end what made so much of it exciting - the Barnes - Ewing feud. Cliff was the only Barnes who would and could continue that feud which was at the heart of the most exciting storylines in Dallas. Pam was against the Barnes - Ewing feud. She wanted peace. Living peacefully is a nice way to live but would have made for a very boring Dallas. Pam also had a character flaw which I found to be a major let-down. That is, she was so flighty. She ran at the first sign of stress or a challenge. She abandoned Bobby three times because she couldn't take the heat! She began a romance with Mark Graison while still married to Bobby. Bobby never abandoned Pam and he never began a romance with another woman while he and Pam were still married. Digger was too old and drunk and incompetent to continue the feud. Cliff wanting to destroy the Ewings was the catalyst for the most of the conflict in Dallas! A drama without conflict is dull. There' s a reason they always kept Cliff as part of the main cast while others left of their own choice or who were let go. Without Cliff the feud is over and the story would have become far less interesting.

Jock Ewing - Jock built Ewing Oil from the ground and turned it into the biggest independent oil company in Texas. He was a real man and the type of character that is sadly missing from today's entertainment - the heroic man capable of inspiring the audience to want to do great things in their own lives. Jock vs. Digger is like asking us "Do you like heroes or losers"? It's the incredibly productive man who became a legend vs. the drunken bum who ruined his own life and who nobody in his right mind would want to emulate. Jock Ewing was a legend and he ran Ewing Oil more honestly than JR and more effectively than Bobby. Jock embodied the heroic ideal that both Bobby and JR spent their lives trying to live up to. Jock was absolutely essential to the show as he provided the motive for both JR and Bobby - to live up to the standard he set and to continue to try to make Ewing Oil bigger and better than ever.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Top Jimmy

Top Jimmy Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Medals:
    Pam

Although she was flawed, Pam was basically a decent person who cared about the welfare of others, such as Lucy, Sue Ellen and Miss Ellie. Cliff, while sometimes fun to root for, was almost always a mean, selfish bastard who often treated Pam, Afton, Jamie and others like dirt.

Jock

Because, like others has said, he was the inspiration for several plotlines long after his death, and he was the catalyst for most of what JR did or aspired to do.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,823
    I'm really enjoying this competition. It's opened my eyes to others thoughts regarding their favourite characters but still vote the opposite way with compelling arguments as to why. Keep it up everyone :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Victoriafan3

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,508
    Oh @Angela Channing. I know this takes so much time and effort on your part (and I’ll be very sad if Pam leaves this early in) but would you possibly please consider a Dynasty World Cup after this? It’s SUCH FUN :)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,094
    Medals:
    I'm glad you're enjoying the game. When it's over, the World Cup will return to Soapchat in the future with a different subject to vote on but I've not yet decided what that subject will be. A World Cup of Dynasty is being considered at some point.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,094
    Medals:
    It's neck and neck in the matches Pam vs Cliff and Digger vs Jock. Your vote could make all the difference in deciding who goes through. The poll closes at midnight on Monday.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  18. Maryann

Maryann Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +590
    Pam - She was my favorite, although she made some mistakes and was naive in certain situations she was a decent and wonderful person. She also wasn't afraid of JR so for that she get major points

Digger - He had major flaws but he did love his family. He was the under dog in his battle with Jock and I route for the under dog. I never really liked Jock. He also get points for having a soft spot for Miss Ellie.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  19. Omg

Omg Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,822
    Match 1 = Cliff
    Match 2 - Jock

• Like Like x 2
  20. Victoriafan3

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,508
    This is nail-biting. Pam and Cliff are literally neck n neck at this point, both with equal votes. Cliff of course has the advantage because he got the first vote. Pam has to get an extra vote over him lol. I understand what @Sarah was going through with Sue Ellen and JR when it was her round ;-) it’s like following an intensely close race haha

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1