1. The World Cup of Soap Operas

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

World Cup Tournament The World Cup of Dallas

Discussion in 'World Cup of Soaps' started by Angela Channing, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Medals:
    Match 7: I have to vote for Pamela. Along with Bobby she started the show, with the connecting of the two main families through marriage. Digger’s daughter was good looking, feisty and nothing but contempt for JR. Cliff was nearly always playing second fiddle in the feud but I was pleased when he triumphed in the lucrative Gold Canyon 340 deal.

Match 8: There were some terrific scenes in early DALLAS between the old oil business partners. However as Jock was my most favourite character, with JR second, the Ewing patriarch gets my vote. Although he lived on in the portrait and JR’s utterances of “like my daddy used to say……” the show lost a bit of its classic raw edge appeal when Jock didn’t return from South America. R.I.P. Jim Davis!

Bobby interrupts Jock’s meeting, at the Cattleman’s Club. JR, Pat Powers and Punk Anderson are sitting round the table, drinking with the Ewing patriarch, (a scene from season 3, DVD-4, 1980 – ’81): ………….

Jock: "Who in the hell do you think Ewing Oil is? It's me! Ewing Oil belongs to me & don't you forget it, boy!"

Bobby: "You give me the power to run the company, as I see fit".

Jock: "Well, if I did give you power, you got nothing......NOBODY GIVES YOU POWER, REAL POWER IS SOMETHING YOU TAKE!!!!!!!"

• Like Like x 6
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,094
    Medals:
    One of my all time favourite Dallas scenes. I agree Jock was a great character.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,020
    That scene between Jock and Bobby has to be once of the most iconic, most powerful scenes in Dallas history and in my opinion, the greatest performance Jim Davis delivered on Dallas!

So while I completely agree with you regarding Jock, I have a question for you regarding this statement of yours about Pam: "Cliff was nearly always playing second fiddle in the feud but I was pleased when he triumphed in the lucrative Gold Canyon 340 deal."

How do you figure that Cliff was playing "second fiddle in the feud when Cliff, after all, was the one who was responsible for continuing the feud into the next generation after Digger? In fact Digger didn't seem to have as much bloodlust for hurting the Ewings as Clifff did. Digger even told Cliff he never wanted to see the Ewings down and out; he just wanted what was due to him. Cliff responded by saying "Well they're gonna be down and out; that's just plain justice." In contrast, Pam wanted the Barnes-Ewing feud to end. She expressed her desire to be able to just live peacefully time and time again. Cliff didn't want peace. He continually provoked the Ewings into taking action against him with aggressive tactics such as using his post in the OLM to stop the Ewings from drilling anywhere Texas for "environmental concerns." Remember that? How about the time he blackmailed Sly into providing information that allowed him to steal Ewing Oil deals? Pam never did anything approaching that. She wouldn't have because her objective was ending the feud. She hated conflict of any kind and that's why she left Bobby during the contest between JR and Bobhy and JR for control of Ewing OIl. She simply couldn't stand the conflict.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Medals:
    Thanks Kenny Coyote for your stipulations, regarding Cliff. I was in no way demeaning Cliff when I said ‘he was nearly always playing second fiddle, in the feud.” What I was thinking of at the time when I posted about his World Cup battle with Pam was his suicide attempt and everything which was going on his life, at that time. I should have mentioned this, in the above post.

If anything yes it was more of an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth situation, in his vendetta with the Ewings. I agree he was more ruthless than Pam and Digger put together. IMHO Ken Kercheval is a great comedy actor, who can do serious quite well too and DALLAS would have been a lot duller, without him as Cliff. It just had slipped my mind about Cliff having other one ups on JR & co.

Jock, JR and Bobby have a meeting in Ewing Oil, (a scene from season 2, DVD-3, 1979 – ’80):

Jock: “What the hell is the problem now?”

JR: “Well the OLM has a team of experts poking around our wells, at the Pan Handle. They claim we’re dumping too much salt water.”

Bobby: “Are they gonna try and shut us down there too?”

JR: “Because of your brother in law Ewing Oil has become an endangered species.”

Jock to Bobby: “What did Senator Monahan say?”

Bobby: “They’re going to initiate a special investigative committee at the Senate daddy. Rumour as it Barnes is taking pay offs.”

JR: “Well I’ve got a feeling this is all too little too late. We’ve got to do something drastic.”

Bobby: “JR!”

JR: “No nothing violent. Every man has his weakness. We just have to find the right one for Mr. Barnes.”

JR grinds his teeth, as he looks at his brother and father.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,858
    Medals:
    Hmm...was it really so cut and dried?
    JR had plenty of reasons to hate Cliff since Cliff kept poking and provoking. And I could understand why he didn't want Cliff's sister as his sister-in-law.
    But he hated Pam, like, really hated - just because she was a Barnes.
    I wonder if that hatred had something to do with fear, because if there was one family who could have something on the Ewings it was the Barnes family.
    Was he afraid that there was something that could stain the impeccable image of Jock Ewing the "True Oil Man"?
    Cliff's claim that Jock had stolen the oil from Digger infuriated him eventhough that's exactly the kind of thing JR himself did to others (Papi Ramos).
    You could say the Cliff's judgment was clouded by his strong emotions, but I also sensed quite a bit of hypocrisy amongst the Ewings, including Bobby and Miss Ellie.

• Like Like x 2
  6. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,525
    Medals:
    If I had to choose, I'd pick losers. They tend to be more interesting dramatically. Plus I've always had a soft spot for the underdog, which is probably a British thing.

I don't really want to emulate anyone on DALLAS. That's not why I watch it.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,620
    Medals:
    1. Pam
    I love Cliff but Pam gets my vote since without her stuck in the middle the Barnes-Ewing feud was pointless.

2. Jock
    Because he fathered JR, Gary, Bobby and Ray, all very essential characters to Dallas. :)
    He also founded Ewing Oil and left them a legacy to fight over.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,094
    Medals:
    It's not to late to vote for your winner in the matches between Pam vs Cliff and Digger vs Jock. The voting is close in both matches so your vote could make all the difference. The poll closes at midnight tonight.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,020
    Perhaps emulate was the wrong choice of words. What character in a movie or TV series inspires you?

• Like Like x 1
  10. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,525
    Medals:
    Hmm, interesting question. Offhand, I can’t think of any. I’m more likely to empathise and/or identify with a character’s screw-ups and flaws than be inspired by their achievements.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,020
    Most inspiring people to me are actual people. Here's the musician I find most inspiring. I found Evel Knievel inspiring. In fiction, I find Howard Roark of the novel The Fountainhead inspiring.

12. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,020
    Here's an example of someone who I have great empathy for and was a tremendously talented singer but sadly drank himself to death and was said to be "descending into madness" in his final years. His music inspires me although the way he lived doesn't inspire me. It makes me feel empathy and sadness for the pain he must have been tormented by.

13. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,822
    I have a thought. Has one of these competitions ever been done in the past as a crossover ie; characters from Dallas & Dynasty up against each other? Or create the mother of all competitions combining characters from Dallas, Dynasty, Falcon Crest and Knots Landing slogging it out against each other. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. Ms Southworth

Ms Southworth Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,611
    Great suggestion to mix and match characters from various soaps into one game! :dance:

However, it would require that members like myself who has only watched Dallas all the way through (and thus hasn't watched enough of the other soaps to really form a "reliable" opinion of the characters from Dynasty, Falcon Crest, and Knots Landing) abstain from casting any votes in that game altogether! :think: If we don't, I think that there is a possibility that the results could end up being very "misleading"! ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,105
    Medals:
    It's a good idea but I don't watch any of the others and am not going to feel as passionate about them as Dallas! No issues if anyone else wants to take part though!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,094
    Medals:
    It's already planned for the future, and don't forget Flamingo Road!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,858
    Medals:
    But maybe it would be better to do that battle in a neutral forum?:lol:

18. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,094
    Medals:
    I may tweak the format when I do a World Cup of all the super soaps so all characters get a fair chance and it's not dominated by one soap that has the largest following. I'm not sure yet, I've not really thought past the conclusion of this current game.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,094
    Medals:
    The voting has been close in both matches and the lead changed several times during the course of the contest. The polls has now closed and the votes have been counted and verified. The results are as follows:

Match 7
    Cliff Barnes - 8
    Pamela Barnes-Ewing - 10

Match 8
    Digger Barnes - 6
    Jock Ewing - 12

The following characters are declared to be the winners of their matches and go through to the quarter finals:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for all your votes in these last two matches of the first round.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  20. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,094
    Medals:
    So we say a sad farewell to Cliff and Digger Barnes. The line up of the quarter finals is now complete.

[​IMG]

Details of the first 2 quarter final matches will follow later today.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1